• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

State of Decay 500k fastest selling original game ever on XBLA, Steam version coming

Principate

Saint Titanfall
Ooh so this was the game those former ArenaNet employee's (makers of GW2) and the co-founder of ArenaNet left to make. Completely forgot about it and it turns out to be a massive success.

For some reason I thought this was some random indie project but this game is pretty far from that.

Hindle

Banned
Considering this is a game that can't be traded in, and people know it can't be traded in, then I'd say thier used games policy won't affect hardware or software sales. The games huge sales are proof.

Ales

Neo Member
At this point I think MS should invest heavily on Class 4.Phil Spencer hurry up and sign the check for Class 4.With more money available to spend on graphics and animations State of Decay would be perfect.

ZoddGutts

Considering this is a game that can't be traded in, and people know it can't be traded in, then I'd say thier used games policy won't affect hardware or software sales. The games huge sales are proof.

It's a new game that's only 20 bucks. Games like these always sell well online only.

NinjaBoiX

I support this game, it's fantastic. The engine is a bit of a dog, and the mechanics a little ropey, but you've got to admire it's ambition. It's really compelling, and has a nice mix of resource management and TPS adventuring.

Go in with an open mind knowing it needs a patch or two and you'll have a blast.

jimbor

Banned
I support this game, it's fantastic. The engine is a bit of a dog, and the mechanics a little ropey, but you've got to admire it's ambition. It's really compelling, and has a nice mix of resource management and TPS adventuring.

Go in with an open mind knowing it needs a patch or two and you'll have a blast.

Sounds like the perfect excuse to wait!

cant they patch the jankyness out of the xbox version? they not doing patches?

The thing is, XBLA policy means pushing a Title Update costs money (around $40k according to Tim Schafer*), and for an indie company, that means each TU should fix as many bugs as possible, to avoid unnecessary spending. That means testing and testing and reading a bazillion bug reports and try to replicate each one and more testing, and that takes time.

*http://www.hookshotinc.com/interview-schafers-millions/

"You have to jump through a lot of hoops, even for important stuff like patching and supporting your game. Those are things we really want to do, but we can’t do it on these systems. I mean, it costs $40,000 to put up a patch – we can’t afford that!"

BUT, with unofficial patches, there's no money issue, so they can fix things one by one, in order of importance.

Cheech

At this point I think MS should invest heavily on Class 4.Phil Spencer hurry up and sign the check for Class 4.With more money available to spend on graphics and animations State of Decay would be perfect.

I am going PS4 this gen, but if they announced Class 4 exclusive to Xbone with no PC version?

Screw "have you seen Titanfall", I'd buy an Xbone just to play that game.

Big_Al

Unconfirmed Member
I hope they don't make the MMO anytime soon, that's not really very appealing to me. I'd rather they concentrate on making a bigger (but not MMO big), more fleshed out world with more things added/deeper mechanics and coop. I personally don't care about coop as I think State Of Decay is a brilliant single player game but hey folks like it.

FGMPR

Banned
The game is doing retail numbers though. Minecraft is another example, strong consistent sales, etc.

But they are 1/3rd the price of retail games. There's less of a risk in the purchase. When people say that MS will only get away with second hand sales if they have frequent Steam like game sales, this is the point they are trying to make.

Also, there is a big difference between the usual dime-a-dozen $60 "AAA" game, and a smaller, $20 DD only game that receives immense word-of-mouth support. These two games broke records by offering something genuinely new and innovative. What was the last $60 game you could say that about?

feel

Can't wait for it to be available on Steam. Seems right up my alley.

edit-

Hope it's a decent port with no weird resolution/framerate caps.

demolitio

This is exactly the type of game I've wanted and to hear it's coming to Steam is great news indeed. As much as people think zombie games are too cliche now, there are few of them that get it right in my opinion. Survival Instinct was a damn shame but this will fill the void for me.

Clunker

This is exactly the type of game I've wanted and to hear it's coming to Steam is great news indeed. As much as people think zombie games are too cliche now, there are few of them that get it right in my opinion. Survival Instinct was a damn shame but this will fill the void for me.
I completely passed it by several times on the 369 dashboard because of how played out zombie games are nowadays, but I'm so, so glad I wandered into the huge thread here, mostly out of curiosity. It's janky and clunky but just simply hilariously fun to play. People skipping out on it solely because of mechanical flaws are really doing themselves a disservice - if the concept of an open-world survival game blended with permadeath, RPG elements, and resource collection for base and material management seems interesting, you will love SoD. It's what I wanted Dead Rising to be all along, really.

I'm sure it will sing on PC when it releases, but if you have no other means, don't let the technical problems keep you away from an amazing set of game systems.

harSon

Banned
Hopefully Microsoft purchases them at some point. It'd be amazing to see their visions fully realized with an expanded team and sizable budget behind them.

Top Bottom