• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM 2013 Announcements & Updates: 6, GFWL: 0 | Number of hours played bugged

Status
Not open for further replies.

kulapik

Modbot should now be working in this thread.

Let's give it an use it then.

ModBot said:
Just quote this message and paste the quote in the thread:

I am giving away 4 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line below that corresponds to the key you want (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering).

Rules for this Giveaway:
- This is a free for all! You can entry for multiple games on the list below. Send an individual PM for each game you'd like to win.
- If you won a game from ModBot in the last day, you are not eligible for this giveaway.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two:

header_292x136.jpg
header_292x136.jpg
header_292x136.jpg

Burnout Paradise -- MB-9FC990B0500AFE4A - Taken by Tesseract
Medal of Honor -- MB-C2E59C7BAFA2008E
Mirror's Edge -- MB-020C719517568E2B - Taken by animlboogy
Dead Space -- MB-AC8310C2F5765BA2 - Taken by sibarraz

Sometime next week I will be putting together a brand new gaming pc which means I will have to backup my steam games (as well as origin and my one uplay game, Blood Dragon). I plan on using my 1tb external hdd to store it. Do I just copy and paste the steamapps folder to the external drive or should I use something like steam mover?

I also gotta find out where all the saves are for these games. Some are in the steam folder, some under My Documents..etc. This'll take awhile.

Another thread, another ride. Here! Take this giveaway!

ModBot said:
I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line below containing the key.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two:

header_292x136.jpg

Red Orchestra 2: Heroes of Stalingrad GOTY -- MB-FF5ED545CBDA3F65 - Taken by MajorMelchett

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
I'm out and about and can't troubleshoot any thread cutover issues, so if ModBot isn't auto-editing then I'm gonna have to look at that when I go home.

Jzero

I haven't been keeping up with the news, what's going to happen to games that already use GFWL? Will they be unplayable?

The_Monk

Now I want to start thinking about Halloween Steam thread names (if there's going to be a Thread for it, like last year).

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
I haven't been keeping up with the news, what's going to happen to games that already use GFWL? Will they be unplayable?

As of now
1. GFWL Marketplace is toast. You can no longer buy games on Xbox.com. You can no longer buy any DLC that requires GFWL to buy.

Potentially as of July 1, 2014
1. All multiplayer servers will go down, ending online play for all GFWL titles
2. Activation servers may or may not go down, ending the ability to play certain games on a new computer or for the first time (this will also cause Steam and other retailers to pull all GFWL titles from sale)
3. Login servers may or may not go down, ending the ability to play any GFWL game that requires a signed-in profile to play or save.
4. If login servers stay up, achievement servers may or may not be switched off, which would disable the ability to unlock achievements in games that are still able to be played.

Jawmuncher

As of now
1. GFWL Marketplace is toast. You can no longer buy games on Xbox.com. You can no longer buy any DLC that requires GFWL to buy.

Potentially as of July 1, 2014
1. All multiplayer servers will go down, ending online play for all GFWL titles
2. Activation servers may or may not go down, ending the ability to play certain games on a new computer or for the first time (this will also cause Steam and other retailers to pull all GFWL titles from sale)
3. Login servers may or may not go down, ending the ability to play any GFWL game that requires a signed-in profile to play or save.
4. If login servers stay up, achievement servers may or may not be switched off, which would disable the ability to unlock achievements in games that are still able to be played.

Really hope they get a better idea of what to do. Or that most companies decide to switch to steam instead of being lazy. Would like to continue playing Dark Souls and most of my Capcom games on Steam.

maneil99

You think steam should add a note saying GFWL is closing soon and you may not be able to play your games soon. Seems like a logical thing to do even if they know what will happen in the future

Grief.exe

You think steam should add a note saying GFWL is closing soon and you may not be able to play your games soon. Seems like a logical thing to do even if they know what will happen in the future

Microsoft could very well issue a patch to disable the activation requirement from its current GFWL games.

We just don't have the information yet.

I don't get why people even try to think that pc has a chance. PS4 and Xbone are the future of games. Admit it pc-GAF, Gaben lost. PC gaming is dead!

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
I believe it actually polls from the previous threads as well.

So you have to have 5 posts in a previous thread flagged under Modbot.

Just this thread and the most recent one. It speeds up calculations for processing and allows for old posters to cycle out (I don't want, in particular, some random spamming 5 in this thread and then claiming games three years from now).

maneil99

Stalker games always stutter for me, I'm not sure if its HDD related, it was alot worse with my old HDD but even the new one has issues, anyone have this before? Happens when spinning or exploring

Khronico

Stalker games always stutter for me, I'm not sure if its HDD related, it was alot worse with my old HDD but even the new one has issues, anyone have this before? Happens when spinning or exploring

If it's shadow of chernobyl, go to launch options and put -noprefetch. In Call of Pripyat you need a mod for that which is here.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Just in the continuing saga of "FUCK YOU ACTIVISION FOR YOUR SALE"/"FUCK YOU VALVE FOR NOT DOING A BIRTHDAY SALE. ;__;":

If singleplayer has the same issue then it's definitely not PB. I could see sound being an issue. Can you switch over to onboard audio temporarily to test?

SP works fine. MP doesn't. So it isn't Punkbuster.

Ok just let's make a test, once the download is complete, if the game does not start, just connect the headphones to the Mic jack and let's see what happens!

I remember that there was an issue in which you needed to connect a mic or headphones into the mic jack in order to start the game!

Also you can see this fix: (Post 15)

http://steamcommunity.com/app/7940/discussions/0/828938532583097429/?l=spanish#p1

Tried the BIOS fix. No dice. I don't have a "Sound mixer" in the options, but...

Try this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YblsOOyFevM . It helped in my case, I couldn't run the game before enabling this option.

No dice, again: No sound mixer. But...

Have you tried the suggestions on this page?

I disabled "Digital Audio (S/PDIF)" in the speaker options and that gave me a "Miles sound system initialization failed." error along with the console. That's better than it booting, not showing a console a la Q3A (since it is on the Q3A engine. *cough cough*) so it's a step-forward but still not a fix. :/

Gonna hunt around and see if I can find a headphone that will fit the jacks and see if that fixes the issue since my deaf ass has no need for said headphones or the audio this thing is fucking up on. :/

Might as well still get a refund from Steam for wasting $15 if ATVI/Valve can't patch older titles to at least run on modern systems (or at least the more popular side of it. *sigh*)

Are you talking around fire barrels? I had that happen with me, framerate was in the 200+ (until I enabled vsync to put it at 60FPS) unless I was around fire barrels where the framerate would go into 15-25FPS. Really jarring. Turning on Triple Buffering and V-sync in the Nvidia control panel fixed that for me.

jsrv

I actually have my current character mostly prepped to steamroll that Steam Achievement list (all the collection based ones).

that makes me wonder, are GFWL game saves saved locally or only through GFWL? do the saves still work after the game has converted from GFWL?

JustinBB7

Saints Row IV updated but I can't find any patch notes, I'm not that far into the game but would like to see the change log without getting spoiled by looking for it. I looked a little but can't find anything.

Hope they fixed the random crashing and save files disappearing..

Anybody saw it somewhere?

Edit: nvm found them, wonder why steam news just doesn't post this anymore..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom