• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM 2013 Announcements & Updates VII: Known bug with library game count.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dambrosi

Banned
Skullgirls Free Weekend. Good shit.
What, is Big Band finally ready? Kickass if so.

Speaking of which, are we PS3 bros gonna get any new characters any time soon? Bought the game in a sale, and it's a blast, but I haven't had gaming time recently, what with jobsearching and all. I'm hoping for some new blood (or a free weekend like this upcoming one) to get me back into it.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Weekend Deals:
- 40% off Payday 2 ($18 or $54 for a four-pack [$13.50 per head])
- Free weekend for Skullgirls (33% off; $10.04/$16.74 for a two-pack [$8.37 per head]/$30.14 for a four-pack [$7.54 per head])

Daily:
- 66% off Antichamber ($6.79)

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
So you guys suggest YDKJ 4 right? I plan on getting one with headrush.

Curiously, why is YDKJ6 only 2 bucks?

Nabs

I couldn't buy my part with my Steam credit then, and that's all I'm willing to spend. Well, with a little luck it'll go lower during the Winter sale.

It'll probably be cheaper, but you'll have to pay for Squigly if you want her. She's free if you buy the game and install her before the 22nd.

Giard

It'll probably be cheaper, but you'll have to pay for Squigly if you want her. She's free if you buy the game and install her before the 22nd.

Yeah I know... I'll just have to live with that.

edit: although I should be getting all DLC free, not just Squigly... and Squigly would cost 5 dollars. I'll think about it.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Skullgirls Free Weekend. Good shit.

Still overpriced from when I tried the PS3 demo that didn't have everything in it. :/

Same for Payday and Kerbal (defo. Kerbal) I want to get Kerbal for less than $10 but it's in $16. :/

just finished Burial @ Sea. Whoa. It's short, yes....and they tried to cram too much shit into it (I didn't buy a single upgrade), but its certainly interesting. I feel saying anything would spoil something...but its a pretty enjoyable few hours. Wouldn't pay $15 for it though.

It's kind of annoying that the humble bundle has FEAR nearly complete, but- not-quite.
So technically you would still need to purchase the 'complete pack' at some point to have the whole thing, unless I'm mistaken.
Not trying to bitch about a good deal or stealth begging, just saying.

btw, does the low-price scheme of the series mean it's basically dead at this point? FEAR 3 was kind of awful, so I won't miss that version of it, but the design of the first two is excellent in some ways, poor in others. One major strength is how they guide the player using light and NPC commentary in some places.
That really sets it apart from other FPS, where "guiding" is usually done with a huge dil-... flashing arrow. "go here" "follow this guy" and other things that shows my dislike for this structure. Meanwhile, Fear 2 in particular just uses light as a guide without saying anything. I think that is worth copying in other games, but so far everybody seems to go with the huge -

Looks like the only thing that ISN'T included in the bundle is FEAR 2 : Reborn (DLC).

Dr Dogg

The flash drives if the computers aren't connected via Ethernet. I'm assuming by "installed stuff" you're referring to Steam games, in which case you just need to copy the installation folders in steamapps\common into that same structure on the second PC.

Edit: Keep in mind that Steam will only look for existing data when you begin the installation process -- if you have any games that are half-downloaded on your second PC, you'll want to uninstall them.

Remove internal drive from 1st PC and plug it into the 2nd PC as a second drive. Transfer data and put the moved drive back in original PC

Aha!

Thanks for the advice guys but I think I've stumbled upon a genius way to grab stuff one by one and not be a total pain in the arse.

If it works I'll report back.

Reckoner

The screenshot feature of Steam could be so much better. It should take less time and be more intuitive to share a screenshot and share direct links and all that stuff.

So question, is that Guardians of Middle Earth game actually any good? I'm not really a DOTA / MOBA guy so it would probably be a bad fit, but I was just watching the Giant Bomb quick look on it and it actually looked kinda charming. Seems like a kinda simplified, light action take on a MOBA, which sounds kinda nice to me, and I have to admit that the LotR license always does appeal to me.

Tomodachi

I might be crazy but I'm slightly sure Steam never allowed my pc to go to sleep mode while downloading stuff before. Now (I'm thinking since they introduced the new queue system for downloads, but I could be wrong here as well) my pc goes to sleep even when downloading stuff and it's kind of a hassle. Anyone else with the same problem? Or am I remembering things wrong and Steam always behaved like this?

FloatOn

I'm tempted to purchase skullgirls but I have not even really broken in MK9 or SF4arcade on my steam account yet. I'll try it over the weekend though since it's free.

I think I will jump on that pixeljunk bundle though.

koolaroo

It would be great if skull girls told me what each button on the 360 pad did. Last I checked the 360 pad doesn't a a "3" button or a "7" button.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
Leftover Humble Keys
Enjoy!

ModBot said:
I am giving away 7 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line below that corresponds to the key you want (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering).

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible
- This is a free for all! You can entry for multiple games on the list below. Send an individual PM for each game you'd like to win.
- If you won a game from ModBot in the last day, you are not eligible for this giveaway.
- This giveaway is a LIGHTNING raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 15 minutes after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.
- This giveaway has a manual blocklist. The giver has identified members who abuse giveaways and restricted them from participating.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two:

LOTR War in the North -- MB-C07DC17104DF7521 - Taken by KenOD. 4 entrants total.
F.E.A.R. -- MB-FE11AEBE1D721900 - Taken by AsylumX. 6 entrants total.
Deponia -- MB-BBED2F6B68BC49D7 - Taken by dave is ok. 7 entrants total.
Edna and Harvey New Eyes -- MB-B174C5128CE5AF73 - Taken by topyy. 3 entrants total.
A New Beginning Final Cut -- MB-FDCE715CC81AAC81 - Taken by Saty. 3 entrants total.
Mortal Kombat Kollection -- MB-E4C5E873014D3816 - Taken by Mengy. 11 entrants total.
The Whispered World -- MB-5B6D8FB60BD9E8F7 - Taken by Exuro. 2 entrants total.

t1384454704z1.png

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
Just wrapped up Rise of the Triad, some thoughts:

header.jpg

This game was pretty much made for Family Sharing. You'll understand why by the end of my breakdown I hope. Fortunately one of my Steam Family members bought this game on release and Valve has seen fit to bless me with the ability to play it. Thanks Valve!

What I liked:
  • The first episode is rather fun. It shows that old school game design can definitely work in a modern release.
  • The visuals are often times rather nice for a fairly low budget UE3 release. There are a lot of nice little effects like elevators casting blue light onto the surrounding walls.
  • The special weapons are entertaining to use and have a good variety. They actually made the rest of the weapons depressing to use because of how delightful they were.
What I was okay with:
  • The length of the game. It drags a bit in the last episode, but it didn't go on long enough to make me resent it.
  • The level design was a real mixed bag. Some were really entertaining to work through while others felt tedious or bland.
What I disliked:
  • The second, third and fourth episodes were largely a step down from the first apart from a couple standout levels.
  • The enemy design lacked variety and many of the ones introduced in later levels were downright awful (tracking projectiles are always a terrible decision).
  • The default weaponry felt severely underpowered and almost completely useless against the later enemies.
  • The majority of the attempts at platforming segments were really poorly executed. The precision demanded at times was ridiculous and it was never exciting or fun.
  • There were some really stupid difficulty spikes, even on easy. The final boss was the most egregious. It left me with a sour taste in my mouth rather than feeling rewarding.
  • I'm not one to delve into technical issues, but I will in this case. The devs clearly didn't know how to use UE3 as well as they should have. There are absurd performance drops no matter what settings I used and it is clearly due to misuse of engine features rather than my hardware.

Conclusion
I like Doom 1 and Quake 1 an awful lot. Rise of the Triad reminded me of those games in a rather nice manner for the first couple hours (I even bothered to 100% the levels). A demo would not have been long enough to sell me on that the way Family Sharing did. However, the last 70% of the game didn't go down anywhere near as smoothly and made me grateful I didn't buy the game myself. So if you have a friend who owns it, definitely check it out. However, if you check out somewhere in Episode 2, don't feel bad and feel comfortable knowing you got to witness the best the game has to offer.

Random note: the game left ~2gb of log files in my documents that I didn't notice till uninstalling the game. If you have 2 gb randomly get used up on your C drive that's why.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
New indie royale

Gravi (Steam)
Skyward Collapse (Steam)
3089 (Desura)
Survive (Desura) Steam key will be made available at a later date.
Freedom Fall (Desura) greenlit but no info about Steam keys
Starpoint Gemini (Steam)
Starvoid (Steam)

Thanks for the heads-up (I managed to miss this post earlier). Spares:

ModBot said:
I am giving away 4 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line below that corresponds to the key you want (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering).

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two:

Gravi -- MB-60E347BFA16F1B66 - Taken by Terra_Ex
Starpoint Gemini -- MB-D00AA25B05748C26 - Taken by neoism
Starvoid -- MB-F9198FC94E6864FD - Taken by Kirosia
Skyward Collapse -- MB-ABDFFBD0B5D9846D - Taken by The_Monk

poopninjamvc3mk

I sucked six dicks to get this tag.
So when's the XB controller coming to the PC?

If you're talking about Xbone then it's already on PC soon as it releases since you can connect a usb cord to it and plug n play. They said it's not gonna be compatible with every xinput game though right away for some reason.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
If you're talking about Xbone then it's already on PC soon as it releases since you can connect a usb cord to it and plug n play. They said it's not gonna be compatible with every xinput game though right away for some reason.

Actually they've said they won't be releasing drivers until *sometime* next year.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom