• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM 2013 Announcements & Updates VIII - Don't ask when the sales are starting.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Card Boy

Banned
Converting Steam recommendations to reviews and making the 'Recommend' by default is a joke.

Most of my recommendations where negative, they where warning my friends to stay away from certain games like Max Payne 3.

Ravager61

Da Fuq? Stay away from one of the best shooters ever?

icq4QHXSNQDQ.gif

Copons

Guys, I know this isn't Steam related, but the only other alternative I can think of is making a new thread, and I don't think it's anything interesting so as to justify doing it. I need to choose between these 3 DS games: 999, Ghost Trick and The World Ends With You. I'm only going to buy one, and they are all priced similarly, so I want to get the best one. What do you say?

Ghost Trick! Ghost Trick!

999 is basically an interactive book with some mild puzzles. While the story is very intriguing (but I wasn't really amazed by it like probably everyone else in the world), it has a huge issue: to fully get it you need to "play" the game several times - and by playing I mean holding B for literally dozens of minutes to fast-forward all the story you already read, until you get to some fork in the plot (and the only way to know it is having a preferably non-spoilery guide handy) where you pick a different answer and proceed with the new bits of story.
Stuff like these are always super annoying to me, but anyway I wanted to know all the aspects of the story, so I endured it all, and I have to say it was worth it.

TWEWY is an interesting take on JRPGs, full of skills to collect, and with a refeshingly original setting (granted you're somewhat interested in Shibuya fashion).
It's problem, for me, lies in what would arguably its main pro: the combat system. It's a real time system, where you at the same time control the character on the lower screen while chaining combos with the character on the upper screen.
I don't remember it really well, but fuck it, it was extremely difficult, like I needed four hands to do all the stuff I was supposed to do.

Ghost Trick instead is overall extremely good.
It's from the same guy of Ace Attorney series, so if you like that kind of story, you should love this one.
Differently from AA, this one is basically a puzzle game, where you have to interact with objects on the scene to rewrite the course of time. Very fun to play, very fun to read. Super recommended & Copons approved.

KenOD

a kinder, gentler sort of Scrooge
Steam doesn't seem to want me to update Typing Of The Dead: Overkill. It just sits there, not a single byte coming in for it while four other games quickly went by. Why must I suffer like G did?

This was just posted this morning on the Wasteland 2 forums. 2.5 weeks until Beta release.

http://wasteland.inxile-entertainment.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=4987

Exciting. As Wasteland and Fallout 1 and 2 are some of my favourite computer RPGs from back in the day, I'm looking forward to this quite a bit. Just looks right.

Guys, I know this isn't Steam related, but the only other alternative I can think of is making a new thread, and I don't think it's anything interesting so as to justify doing it. I need to choose between these 3 DS games: 999, Ghost Trick and The World Ends With You. I'm only going to buy one, and they are all priced similarly, so I want to get the best one. What do you say?

The World Ends With You is a title I highly recommend, one of my favourite RPGs of all time and enough I played it in both Japanese and English (I didn't think it would be localised) and still have a small desire to go back to it.
It's biggest hurdle is the strange battle system of using two screens at once or depending on an A.I. to try and do a decent job, but once you get a handle on either of those aspects it's quite involved and rewarding when it's all done right in the same way a 40x combo in Arkham Asylum was AND doing well at DDR/Rock Band/Guitar Hero.
All the stickers to give various boosts, abilities, and minor changes offer a lot of incentive to try out different things and tactics, to do numerous battles for the fun of it all.

Ghost Trick I also love very much, but it is a title like many Adventure titles or visual novels, treated as something to have a very fun time the first go around and not something you may touch again until it's been forgotten from your memory or you want to revisit it like a familiar episode of a show that makes you laugh.
Strong sense of humour, right up there with the Ace Attorney series (but less weird), proper comedic bent of noire traditions out of Japan for story telling, and decent puzzles that are amusing to solve and figure out.

I can't speak to 999 as I don't care for Visual Novels, but it is generally regarded as one of the best out there. So if you really want a visual novel, go for this one.

Seanspeed

Banned
TWEWY is an interesting take on JRPGs, full of skills to collect, and with a refeshingly original setting (granted you're somewhat interested in Shibuya fashion).
It's problem, for me, lies in what would arguably its main pro: the combat system. It's a real time system, where you at the same time control the character on the lower screen while chaining combos with the character on the upper screen.
I don't remember it really well, but fuck it, it was extremely difficult, like I needed four hands to do all the stuff I was supposed to do.
Not difficult at all. You don't need to control the 2nd character if you don't want to. Plus the difficulty options are brilliant and can cater to absolutely anybody.

Its an amazing, amazing game. Never played anything else like it.

rtcn63

Are you playing on Hard or Very Hard? I'm playing in Hard and haven't had much problems.
except for some mechs equipped with rocket launchers later in the game
My rule of thumb while playing is, if in doubt, use slow motion.

Just hard. I was never a fan of slowmo, hence I'm always forgetful to use it. Though I'm sure the game is designed around the skill, so I'll have to adapt. I've turned it down to moderate difficulty for the time, until/if I get a grasp on the gameplay.

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
So it's 3 TWEWY vs 1 999 vs 1 GT vs 1 TWEWY and GT. And even though they are on iOS (I only knew about the Ace Attorney games, thanks for the heads-up Grief!), I don't have any Apple product, and I don't think I'd play them there even if I had.

Guess I'll go with TWEWY then, it seems like the one I'll have most fun with (plus it's the one that won). Thanks!

Turfster

Have you seen Klei Entertainment's next game Incognita? Considering I've never been a huge fan of turn-based strategy, the games I'm most excited about right now are that and Transistor.

I kinda have a love-hate relationship with Incognita.
I love most of it, but the
bloody short turn/time limit
really annoys me.
I'm a careful person, dammit, I don't want to rush!

okayfrog

Banned

Play-time: The World Ends With You > 999 > Ghost Trick
Story: 999 > Ghost Trick > World Ends With You
Gameplay: Ghost Trick > World Ends With You > 999

So... there ya go! That should answer everything.

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
The lack of sales now only means there are more sales later.

Winter is coming.

Calm before the storm.
We wait.
Playing games in our library?
Quaint.
But when it comes...
As the sale drums pulls us from our comfortable slums...
Wait for the daily deals.

Autumn_64f925_2919896.jpg

My wallet is not ready.

Ghost Trick is a puzzle game, and honestly the best of the ones I've played (haven't touched 999). Fun writing, good puzzles, great soundtrack.

TWEWY is a good RPG, but the battle system is kind of hit-or-miss, the soundtrack is pretty subjetive too, if you like/tolerate jpop, it is great. It is like 20 hours to complete plus some post game and NG+.

EDIT: Ghost Trick is $9.99 in iOS, and it is a great port.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Agrest is that baby-making JRPG/SRPG or am I thinking or some other perverted one and Agrest isn't it?

TheSeks

You could be thinking of Conception? But I think Agarest also has touches of it.

No, there was one SRPG that was HIGHLY perverted and had like upskirt shots and stuff on Playstation 3 this past generation. I think Aksys published it and it was about dating the females to make stronger units in "future generations" or something like that. I don't think Agrest is it, but I know there's a title that had a similar ring...

Thorgal

I just remembered again that Legend of heroes : trails in the sky chapters 1 and 2 will be out on steam this winter

First one in 2013 and the second chapter in 2014 .

Can we guess when the first chapter will be out ?

drizzle

Axel Hertz
So, I was running GameSave Manager, as I usually do, to backup my saves to dropbox.

Anyway, it's getting stuck when looking for the saves for 3079, a game that was recently added to steam.

I went to the folder to check it out and.. it has more than 2000 files, named .chunk of 1kb each. The game is auto generating the terrain, but as you move around, it saves a new 1kb file of what I guess is the surrounding area.

What the fuck is up with this? Who would design something like this?

ziadoz

Neo Member
I kinda have a love-hate relationship with Incognita.
I love most of it, but the
bloody short turn/time limit
really annoys me.
I'm a careful person, dammit, I don't want to rush!

Its great, they only have one demo level live right now so there isn't that much other than a proof of concept.

I will just be waiting until the full release to play it next year.

In that case I'll put my money towards increasing my backlog in the next Steam sale instead.

Caerith

No, there was one SRPG that was HIGHLY perverted and had like upskirt shots and stuff on Playstation 3 this past generation. I think Aksys published it and it was about dating the females to make stronger units in "future generations" or something like that. I don't think Agrest is it, but I know there's a title that had a similar ring...

All I can think of then is Conception, which was an SRPG on PSP where you seduced various girls, impregnated them, then took the babies into dungeons to fight for you. It has a sequel on 3DS and Vita.

Twinduct

Gah I was pretty psyched to pick up a PS4 eventually (Infamous was my ticket). But local pricing on software showed up at the SEN store & retail. It's a fucking 60% increase. So yeah not picking that shit up anytime in the near future. Funny enough something like Black Flag goes Cheapest on PC > then like a 20% increase to PS3 .. then a 60% increase to PS4. In fact I can Buy almost three newly PC releases before I get one PS4 title lol

Publishers can kiss me where the sun don't shine, I'm done with consoles.

TheSeks

Knurek

I went to the folder to check it out and.. it has more than 2000 files, named .chunk of 1kb each. The game is auto generating the terrain, but as you move around, it saves a new 1kb file of what I guess is the surrounding area.

Lovely, especially for people with 64kB cluster.
And here I thought The Witcher 2 had large savegame folder...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom