• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM- Announcements & Updates 2011 Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
3chopl0x said:
Troll successful?

*backs away slowly*

It's one of those ones where after the 15th person asking the same question, you can't tell if the 16th guy is trolling or serious. Hahaha.

Xamdou said:
If I uninstall a game from steam, do I lose all my game saves as well?

Depends on the game but generally no.

Xamdou

Stumpokapow said:
It's one of those ones where after the 15th person asking the same question, you can't tell if the 16th guy is trolling or serious. Hahaha.

Depends on the game but generally no.

So to uninstall I right click on the game then press "delete local content"?

Oreoleo

Soooo I put like 20 min into Spiral Knights before dinner. Come back and the game isn't in my game list anymore, and I can't re-download it from the store page. What gives?

Orellio said:
Soooo I put like 20 min into Spiral Knights before dinner. Come back and the game isn't in my game list anymore, and I can't re-download it from the store page. What gives?
It's gone from my list too. Probably just a temporary hiccup.

iNvidious01 said:
this is the first time im gonna be around for the steam sale, out of interest how much do you guys end up spending during the sale?
My experience with the gigasales is that I usually buy a few older games at $2-$5 and then handful of newer stuff or small bundles at $10-$15. Maybe $50ish total. A lot of the same games come up frequently, though, so I've gradually spent a bit less each time. Then maybe I'll splurge $40-$60 on a big package deal like a publisher complete pack or supersize indie bundle.

You could easily spend $100+ if you just buy up everything that's remotely interesting. But you can get some great deals for a lot less. Keep an eye out for the indie bundles. Valve loves to pack up four or five indie games for like $5. The total discount on those can be like 90%. Expect to see/buy several of those.

If you walk away with an average price-paid-per-game of over $5, I'd be surprised.

EDIT: Also, don't worry too much about snatching up everything. It's easy to buy way more than you'll play. Like I said, a lot of the stuff you see will be sales regulars. So if you've got your eye on something but don't know if you'll play it in the next six months, there's a decent chance it'll come back around.

Stumpokapow said:
Jus' trollin'

gotcha.jpg

iNvidious01 said:
this is the first time im gonna be around for the steam sale, out of interest how much do you guys end up spending during the sale?

My first time (how wonderful it was) I think I spent about $100 over the thanksgiving and holiday sales.

I still have some games that I bought then that I haven't played yet.

coopolon

Xamdou said:

If you really want to be sure get GameSaveManager. It searches your computer, finds whatever games you have installed, and backs them up. When you want to put them back, you just open it up and it puts them back where it found them so the game just sees them.

And you can use it with dropbox to actually have cloud saves as well.

It's not perfect (it misses some of my games and I have to tell it where to look) but for the price it is amazing.

gah. steam keeps sending the same verification key and question. i'm trying to reset my password for a new one!
LLShC.gif

EDIT: ugh. i don't know one of my security question. it keeps asking me the same one. wish they pull the other one.

coopolon

Zimbardo said:
yeah, that sucks.

i backup the titles i buy tho, and keep a record of my cdkeys, so that situation wouldn't matter as much in my situation.

Actually, I was wrong earlier. You used to be able to do this, but no longer can because they changed the way EADM/Origin installs games. I apologize for getting that wrong, I hadn't tried it in awhile and just assumed they wouldn't remove features. Bad move EA.

Cipherr

Lol at how everyone on my friends list damn near has the Knights game. Its the one that looked interesting to me also. Going to download these and try them out sometime.

Would be nice if they got some stuff like Runes of Magic and some of the other f2p's signed on.

benjipwns

Banned
Cipherr said:
Lol at how everyone on my friends list damn near has the Knights game.
They're added automatically to everyone's games list. A friend who has no games and hasn't logged into that account in three years has them for example.

gdt

Got a question,

My friend is looking to get me something for my birthday, but I already have every game I want, so, can she pre-order Deus Ex (the one with a free copy of DE1) and gift it all to me, as a preorder?

coopolon

gdt5016 said:
Got a question,

My friend is looking to get me something for my birthday, but I already have every game I want, so, can she pre-order Deus Ex (the one with a free copy of DE1) and gift it all to me, as a preorder?

I believe so, just when purchasing choose purchase as gift instead of purchase for myself.

Aaron

Xamdou said:
Delete local content never deletes saves. If the uninstall deletes saves, there will be a separate prompt for it mentioning removing saved games specifically. Most saves are stored under the my documents folder. Older games store saves in the install directory.

Nabs said:
i'm having a great time with it post-patch. i'm actually really excited for ultra now.
Maybe I'm just rusty right now. I probably will get Ultra anyhow, but I don't like the perk system they have. It does allow for more customization, but going from getting 1-2mil points to 100k kinda makes me sad. :(

I just thought of a totally random question: Does anyone know what happens to a game on Steam if the publisher goes out of business? As in, how does that affect whether the game is still available to download if you've already purchased it?

I wonder if the publishing agreements Valve signs with publishers requires Valve to keep serving the game to purchasers even if the company no longer exists.

markot

Banned
faceless007 said:
I just thought of a totally random question: Does anyone know what happens to a game on Steam if the publisher goes out of business? As in, how does that affect whether the game is still available to download if you've already purchased it?

I wonder if the publishing agreements Valve signs with publishers requires Valve to keep serving the game to purchasers even if the company no longer exists.
They stop selling it, but its still on thier servers for people who have bought it.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
faceless007 said:

I can still download Outrun just fine and Sega isn't allowed to sell it anymore.

Nabs

The Broken Ska Record said:
Maybe I'm just rusty right now. I probably will get Ultra anyhow, but I don't like the perk system they have. It does allow for more customization, but going from getting 1-2mil points to 100k kinda makes me sad. :(

rank up and you'll start with a ridiculous multi at the start. you'll be back at 2m in a few songs.

Tokubetsu

Nabs said:
rank up and you'll start with a ridiculous multi at the start. you'll be back at 2m in a few songs.

Yea. Playing hardcore with four to five minute songs and my perks I can pull 3-5 mill a song. I've hit nine mill on a couple tracks as well but I don't remember what was special about them.

Salsa

hamchan said:
I just preordered Duels of the Planeswalkers 2012 and got tf2 items. I have no idea why people care so much about these items.

you'll see when you can sell them for 20-50usd each in 6 months.

Detox

Just wanted to say for those that have Bad Company 2 on Steam you can get Vietnam for free.
1. Enter your key into Origin
2. It will ask you if it is the OG BC2 or Digital Deluxe Edition. Select Digital Deluxe Edition.
3. ??????
4. Profit

XeroSauce

Detox said:
Just wanted to say for those that have Bad Company 2 on Steam you can get Vietnam for free.
2. It will ask you if it is the OG BC2 or Digital Deluxe Edition. Select Digital Deluxe Edition.
3. ??????
4. Profit

Thanks for the info, but I already bought Vietnam for $6. -ffffuuuuuu-

I finished putting together my wishlist today for the summer sale. Can't waittt.

I'm really fucking bummed about EA, though. Right now I'm facing the prospect of not buying BF3 etc. :\ Hopefully Origin dies a painful death and they come crawling back to Valve.

Oreoleo

Detox said:
3. ??????
4. Profit

I thought the same thing, and after downloading the game through Origin, when I click on Vietnam in-game it asks me for a Vietnam key just like Steam would :(

Unless I did something wrong. Let us know if the content is actually unlocked for you.

Echoplx

Orellio said:
I thought the same thing, and after downloading the game through Origin, when I click on Vietnam in-game it asks me for a Vietnam key just like Steam would :(

Unless I did something wrong. Let us know if the content is actually unlocked for you.

What region are you in? I've seen this mentioned before but the Digital Deluxe edition is not the same in every region.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom