• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM- Announcements & Updates 2011 Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.
Foliorum Viridum said:
I finished putting together my wishlist today for the summer sale. Can't waittt.

I'm really fucking bummed about EA, though. Right now I'm facing the prospect of not buying BF3 etc. :\ Hopefully Origin dies a painful death and they come crawling back to Valve.

Does seem a dumb move, and I'm hoping for the same thing! Want to restrict how many sites my bank details are shared with in light of recent events.

Oreoleo

3chopl0x said:
What region are you in? I've seen this mentioned before but the Digital Deluxe edition is not the same in every region.

The US. It says in the description and on the store page "Includes Vietnam!" so I was bummed when it didn't.

Chriswok said:
Does seem a dumb move, and I'm hoping for the same thing! Want to restrict how many sites my bank details are shared with in light of recent events.
I just want all of my games in the same place. Undercut Steam's price, throw in some exclusive content on Origin... whatever. Just don't make it impossible for the millions of Steam users to buy new games they want on the service.

SalsaShark said:
aaaaahh the wonder is not knowing
New promo items are added as regular items when the promo ends.

They haven't done so with the old promo items.

Also by the way, if anyone has the Monday Night Combat stuff, last night's patch dramatically increased the price of those items (as they are now paintable).

Echoplx

TruthJunky said:
Anyone know when the summer sale begins?

JUST WHEN WE THOUGHT IT WAS OVER

Probably around the 24th but we don't know for sure, we don't even know if there will actually be another Summer sale :lol

P.S if you are trolling then FUUUUUUUUUUUUU

Foliorum Viridum said:
I just want all of my games in the same place. Undercut Steam's price, throw in some exclusive content on Origin... whatever. Just don't make it impossible for the millions of Steam users to buy new games they want on the service.

Can't see them undercutting steam, for whatever reason (GREED) most Digital Distribution providers seem hell bent on charging full whack for games. :(

Divius

Orellio said:
I thought the same thing, and after downloading the game through Origin, when I click on Vietnam in-game it asks me for a Vietnam key just like Steam would :(
Same here. A while back my BFBC2 disc got scratched and EA was cool enough to give me a digital download of the 'Digital Deluxe Edition'*, and when I started the game I was pleasantly surprised to see Vietnam in the main menu, but when I clicked it it still asked for a serial.

*through the EA downloader, which is now Origin I assume.

Grizza

Foliorum Viridum said:
It's pretty crazy how three years ago EA were making such an awesome comeback with new IPs like ME and DS, and now they've reverted back to their old ways.

This. I honestly think they are getting worried about the ridiculous investment they've made in that KOTOR mmo and are trying to bring in extra dough everywhere they can. Kinda sucks that EA's need to try and compete directly with Activision/Blizzard is what is probably going to hurt them the most.

coopolon

Foliorum Viridum said:
It's pretty crazy how three years ago EA were making such an awesome comeback with new IPs like ME and DS, and now they've reverted back to their old ways.

I don't know, I really liked Mass Effect 2 and Dead Space 2. DA2 appears to have been a bust but DAO was great. I enjoyed Crysis 2 even if it wasn't as good as Crysis. Bulletstorms seems to have been very well received. BC2 was fun. BF3 seems like it is going to be awesome. TOR seems like it might be okay, not sure about that one though.

As long as they are releasing good games with acceptable DRM on the PC platform, they're a-okay in my book.

Edit: And I like how quickly the prices on their games drop. And I like how you can register retail games with Origin so that you can shop around for the best prices and also get the advantages of DD. Also, NFS Hot Pursuit. I even really enjoyed MoH singleplayer although I understand a lot of people didn't.

I think this plan is pure folly, but saying they've reverted to their old anti-PC ways is wrong imo. They're still releasing great games for PC, in fact they're as good as any other major publisher that I can think of.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
Hm, does anyone remember the name of that external drive Steam game manager? (the one that isn't SteamTool)
I remember it being posted in here, but I can't find it in 200 pages.

I'm not buying games off of Origin given the sketchy language in their TOS and the fact that it's EA. I may be forced to install and use Origin but if I buy EA games I'll buy them from brick n' mortar retailers at significant price drops in virtually all instances. If I can have disc checks instead of Origin, I may very well uninstall the client which I currently only have Darkspore tied to.

TruthJunky said:
Anyone know when the summer sale begins?

Somewhere Salsa's goin' FFFFFFFFFUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU

StuBurns said:
How does the summer sale work? New sales every day or just a splurge day one?
Usually they have publisher packs on sale, the whole week, that have a whole slew of games, and they will have themed days. So one day is FPS games, or one day is strategy games.

coopolon

StuBurns said:

Last year it worked just like the Xmas and Thanksgiving sales, lots of games on sale, but also daily sales on top of the week long sales.

Rubezh

Foliorum Viridum said:

"I guess some people never change. Or, they quickly change and then quickly change back."

Luigi87

Less than an hour left until the next Daily Deal!
Last chance for 50% horse unicorn breeding goodness.

Of course if the Summer sale starts next week, all I really want is VtM-B >.<

StuBurns

Banned
The Broken Ska Record said:
Usually they have publisher packs on sale, the whole week, that have a whole slew of games, and they will have themed days. So one day is FPS games, or one day is strategy games.
coopolon said:
Last year it worked just like the Xmas and Thanksgiving sales, lots of games on sale, but also daily sales on top of the week long sales.
Cool, thanks for the replies guys.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
StuBurns said:

Typically all of the sales have involved most of the products on the store being discounted e whole week, with selected titles being further discounted each day, and the final day's daily sales being a "best of" the whole week's daily deals.

Echoplx

New free game on Steam 'The Cat and the Coup'
The Cat and the Coup is a documentary game in which you play the cat of Dr. Mohammed Mossadegh, the first democratically elected Prime Minister of Iran. During the summer of 1953, the CIA engineered a coup to bring about his downfall. As a player, you coax Mossadegh back through significant events of his life by knocking objects off of shelves, scattering his papers, jumping on his lap and scratching him.
http://store.steampowered.com/app/95700/

StuBurns

Banned
Stumpokapow said:
Typically all of the sales have involved most of the products on the store being discounted e whole week, with selected titles being further discounted each day, and the final day's daily sales being a "best of" the whole week's daily deals.
So it's possible something like Mirror's Edge could be on sale from day one, but get a further sale during the sale period? So don't buy anything till the end in case it gets additional money off?

iNvid02

kane and lynch is £5.10 in UK store, not bad but the game doesn't look good at all.

edit: you can get the limited edition from amazon for £3.39 lol

StuBurns said:
So it's possible something like Mirror's Edge could be on sale from day one, but get a further sale during the sale period? So don't buy anything till the end in case it gets additional money off?
Yes, that's generally what I've seen being suggested

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
StuBurns said:

Typically, yes, you would only buy daily sales until the final day.

There have been two cases where the weekly discount for specific products was accidentally entered too high (one for The Witcher, once for the 1c Complete pack) and the rates were later corrected.

But 99% of the time it works every time.

Forkball

Fact: Kane and Lynch 2 was $5 last Thanksgiving sale after it had been on sale for about three months. I am insulted that they would make today's sale a dollar eighty more. INSULTED.

And I will try that cat game.

[edit]Also I already played my share of Spiral Knights when it came out, do I have to link my Steam account and get the achievement with a new character?

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
balladofwindfishes said:
Yes, that's generally what I've seen being suggested
The exception being the Witcher betrayal.

edit: beat'd

Stumpokapow said:

There have been two cases where the weekly discount for specific products was accidentally entered too high (one for The Witcher, once for the 1c Complete pack) and the rates were later corrected.

1-D_FTW

Foliorum Viridum said:

This is why I wasn't celebrating all their acquisitions at the time. EA goes in cycles. Quality... shitty franchise whoring... quality.... shitty franchise whoring. They're just way too big. Pleasing their stockholders is impossible given their size and the limited amount of revenue the industry generates. So they flip flop back and worth.

They're the equivalent of a sports franchise that goes from Player's Coach to Disciplinary every couple years in the guise that the coach is really the solution to the whole mess. It sells false hope and keeps the disgruntled from getting too loud.

Symphonic

I burned through Kane and Lynch 2 in 3 hours, for those looking for the length. It wasn't a bad game, generally kept my attention the whole time. Played co-op style with a friend as well, so that made it significantly more fun.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
Eh, I feel a little burned for spending $5 on K&L2 a few months back. The unique and ugly visual style made me want to play it, but the tedious, unsatisfying combat and mind numbing repetition kept me from playing it very long.

just watch a youtube of it and keep your money

1-D_FTW said:
This is why I wasn't celebrating all their acquisitions at the time. EA goes in cycles. Quality... shitty franchise whoring... quality.... shitty franchise whoring. They're just way too big. Pleasing their stockholders is impossible given their size and the limited amount of revenue the industry generates. So they flip flop back and worth.

They're the equivalent of a sports franchise that goes from Player's Coach to Disciplinary every couple years in the guise that the coach is really the solution to the whole mess. It sells false hope and keeps the disgruntled from getting too loud.
It's like they're actively trying to make me not buy their games these days. Battlefield 3 was winning me over and making me consider put more time into it than Modern Warfare 3, but if it's not on Steam they're not getting a sale from me. The fact Dead Space 2 wasn't up on the store until the day of release was bad enough, but this is a whole different level of fucking your potential customers. It's like they don't want my money and for me to play their games/buy their DLC.

StuBurns

Banned
Stumpokapow said:

Excellent, thanks for the replies.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
I enjoyed K&L2 at the sub 10$ price point. It's got some neat ideas visually and I like the characters.

I like K&L1 better though and that had split-screen on PC which was dope.

mxgt

Banned
I wouldn't play K&L2 again even if someone paid me.

I guess £5 is about the right mark seeing as it's 3-4 hours long.

Morokh

if you got trouble logging in Spiral Knights, just deconnect from steam, relaunch it and you should be fine ;o

Now, how do I get my TF2 hat for playing this game today ? :D

Sgt.Pepper said:
I rage at Spiral Knights, game is so broken. I barely login sometimes.
It's kind of... bland too.

I probably won't spend much more time than is needed to get my TF2 hat.
kswiston said:
Fallout New Vegas is 75% off on Direct2drive. The game is steamplay so no reason not to buy
Well, I know what I'm doing when I go home

Morokh said:
if you got trouble logging in Spiral Knights, just deconnect from steam, relaunch it and you should be fine ;o

Now, how do I get my TF2 hat for playing this game today ? :D
That ain't the big problem for me anyway. It is that I can't change resolutions without this crap crashing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom