• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM announcements & updates 2012 Thread 2 - Bad Rats Daily Deal for next 6 months

Status
Not open for further replies.

Blizzard

Banned
So instead of spamming the thread with little text messages, you want us to spam the thread with big messages filled with images? Way to go, Stump, way to go. ;p

I have maybe 20 games on my wishlist, but they're probably all expensive. At minimum, I might buy any LEGO game I don't have by the end of the sale, but I'm still not sure if I should wait for a collected Ultimate LEGO Harry Potter edition.

drizzle

Axel Hertz
Both Alan Wake and Hitman: Blood Money are on my short list for sales this time around.

I think those two and the ArmA II Expansions are the things I will most certainly buy (if they reach a proper price) this time around. Maybe Space Marines also.

I really really really want to buy both Dead Rising 2s, but goddamn Capcom never puts them up for an appropriate price. If it goes ti 9,99 again this time around, I'll buy the first one. If it goes lower, i'll buy both. But I doubt it.

Other than that, I usually play sales by ear: I see which games are on sale, I look at their prices and if I feel it's a good deal, I'll buy them.

Derrick01

Banned
Yeah the story in Hitman games is usually nothing to get excited over. The meat of the game are the levels and all of the cool ways you can figure out how to kill. A New Life is the suburbs level right? That's probably my favorite level in the game and it's so worth it trying to do stealthy. There are some pretty amazing ways to get your targets there.

Bentendo

Has anyone played Roller Coaster Rampage? Or Disney's Coaster? Anyone else miss coaster games?

I've played neither of them... but RollerCoaster Tycoon is my all-time favorite game. An isometric sequel with the graphics of SimCity 5 would be... oh God, I think I may cry.

Seriously, if the only way to play such a game was to pay $200, I'd do it in a heartbeat.

Oh, and I agree. KoA will be one of those games that, everyday before the new sales are revealed, everyone will be talking about (Skyrim as well of course).

Following Stumpokapow's format, just a few absolute must-buys on my wishlist:

header.jpg

I've been holding off on this game for a few months now, but The Witcher 2 is definitely at the top of my list. I'll be picking this one up no matter what.

header.jpg

Heard mixed things about Deus Ex: Human Revolution, so I figured getting it now is a pretty safe bet. I really liked the first game way back when and don't expect this to be a true successor, so I can imagine I'll be pretty satisfied

header.jpg

I really want to get ARMA II for both the standalone game, and the popular DayZ mod. This is a definite buy, no matter the sale price

header.jpg

Heard mixed things about RAGE as well, but this will most likely be a daily deal and I'll be willing to risk $10 on this. Everything I've seen from this game looks really awesome

header.jpg

Not a huge Sonic fan, but Sonic Generations has looked awesome and I've been waiting for a sale to bite. My son loves Sonic, so this will be an awesome buy for both of us to enjoy

I have a ton of other stuff on my wishlist, but these are all my 'Definitely Going To Buy No Matter What' games

ShaneB

The thing is, with games being Steamworks, some of those are constantly on sale elsewhere :p

EDIT: But I do understand, there are plenty of times where I could've bought other games on sale, but I've saving as well, just to have a centralized spending limit on Steam when the Sale starts, instead of picking here and there and wondering where all my money went :p

Bentendo

Oh, forgot my wishlist of obscure games:

header_292x136.jpg

I have the free version of this game on iOS. I played it for hours on end (still do) without ever realizing that there was a PC version of the game. The PC version looks... amazing. Miles better than the iOS version, and it currently sits at the top of my wishlist, just to remind me that someday I will own it on PC. Sometimes all it takes is an image to convince somebody that something ROCKS, and so here you are:

header_292x136.jpg

I want this game pretty badly. I view Obsidian as one of the few remaining developers who knows what makes a good RPG good, and despite their flaws they've provided me with some great entertainment. I will also see New Vegas as being one of the highlights of this generation. I just wish Bethesda would partner with them more because so far it seems like a winning combination. People on NeoGAF seem to be the only ones saying this is a great game, but after several years on this community that's all I need: I don't read critical reviews anymore, I read your guys' opinions on games (I love you all, *sob*).

header_292x136.jpg

One of those games that will inevitably have a sale, and one of the games I'll inevitably buy. I've heard from people that it's actually a pretty competent action RPG, and that's really all I need to know that I'll enjoy it!

header_292x136.jpg

I want to try this game... badly. I'm not a huge fan of the movies, but I feel that Transformers would work better as a game franchise anyway. I know the developer just announced a partnership with another studio to port the sequel to PC, but that may take a while and so I'm hoping for a sale.

header_292x136.jpg

Any LEGO game really. It's been awhile since I played the Lego Star Wars games on my GameCube and I want some of the newer titles for PC. Traveller's Tales really has a brilliant formula that never gets old. I'd prefer the sequel to LEGO Batman but we'll see when that comes out. A massive sale, such as 75% the LEGO franchise, would probably convince me to get them all!

Derrick01

Banned
I want this game pretty badly. I view Obsidian as one of the few remaining developers who knows what makes a good RPG good, and despite their flaws they've provided me with some great entertainment. I will also see New Vegas as being one of the highlights of this generation. I just wish Bethesda would partner with them more because so far it seems like a winning combination. People on NeoGAF seem to be the only ones saying this is a great game, but after several years on this community that's all I need: I don't read critical reviews anymore, I read your guys' opinions on games (I love you all, *sob*).

If you're an Obsidian fan then you're able to put up with some jank, so I think you're going to love Alpha Protocol. I actually just started another run yesterday and it's still so great. Best conversation system of the generation and maybe all time, it'll at least hold its own with some of the 90s pc rpgs. I would recommend going stealth/pistols on your first run since the gun combat is pretty broken but stealth provides you with some really nice abilities. Just sit back and enjoy the game after that basically.

Tunin

Now I have aprox. 36 bucks to spend in this sale and honestly I'm feeling that it won't be enough :(

My wishlist is huge, got my gaming PC a few weeks ago. Oh boy... :~(

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
header_292x136.jpg

Alpha Protocol is very interesting. It has some pretty severe pacing problems. It is possible to build character builds that make the game literally impossible to complete with no indication you've done so until hours in. None of the combat mechanics work all that well, but they're servicable.

But the world is rich, the characters are great, the writing is sharp, many of the levels are designed very well, some are spectacular (the ice cream shop is one, the sniper level is great too), there's a wonderful sense of "home" in the mission hubs. I can't say enough good about that stuff. In general I feel like the game does probably the best job of establishing tension through character interaction of any game this generation. Only Fahrenheit/Indigo Prophecy's first half stands out to me as comparable.

The one piece of advice I'd give is that the Saudi Arabia / beginning levels are a little slow and don't really offer the payoffs I just talked about. Please get through them and get to the meat of the game. It's worth it.

When you finish the game, youtube Agent Michael Thorton Psychopath. There are no extreme spoilers but I don't think you want to ruin some of the stranger character interactions by being spoiled that they're going to come.

It was my #4 GOTY in 2010

Bentendo

If you're an Obsidian fan then you're able to put up with some jank, so I think you're going to love Alpha Protocol. I actually just started another run yesterday and it's still so great. Best conversation system of the generation and maybe all time, it'll at least hold its own with some of the 90s pc rpgs. I would recommend going stealth/pistols on your first run since the gun combat is pretty broken but stealth provides you with some really nice abilities. Just sit back and enjoy the game after that basically.

Yeah I've heard about the flaws but they don't really mean much to me. I've played and enjoyed so many broken games. I feel like Obsidian knows how to craft a good story. It's hard to explain but their worlds are just so much more interesting than everything else.

Now I have aprox. 36 bucks to spend in this sale and honestly I'm feeling that it won't be enough :(

My wishlist is huge, got my gaming PC a few weeks ago. Oh boy... :~(

I traded in a ton of stuff at gamestop and purchased a bunch of steam cards with the credit. Up to $150 now :)

Levyne

Banned
When you finish the game, youtube Agent Michael Thorton Psychopath. There are no extreme spoilers but I don't think you want to ruin some of the stranger character interactions by being spoiled that they're going to come.

I was reading your post and was actaully thinking about mentioning this but then I saw you had it covered....haha

Among retail games, I think I'm not alone in being an Xbox 360 Alan Wake owner who'd like to pick up the PC version but is waiting for a pretty steep sale. But the real retail star of the summer sale, to me, is gonna be Kingdoms of Amalur. I see two major possibilities--either the company being defunct means it doesn't go on sale at all, or the company getting desperate to raise revenue means it gets a pretty steep sale. Hopefully the latter. That's something that's unfortunate about a digital game. With digital games, only the developer/publisher have an incentive to change the price. This is normally a good thing, because the publisher wants to drive sales or extract a burst of revenue or promote subsequent games in the IP or whatever. But in the case of a defunct company, it's all autopilot. At retail, there's a second actor who has an incentive to discount--the retailer.
I'm also quite interested in this (been on my wishlist since before release), but isn't there supposed to be some serious bugs / issues with the PC version? Can anyone elaborate on the PC version? I'm pretty sure I've read people complaining about the PC version in various KOA threads and, given that the studio has been shut down and it hasn't been fixed in the 6 months since release, I'm afraid I might actually have to delete this from my wishlist regardless of sale price.

Bentendo

Yeah I'll definitely get it (Alpha Protocol). I feel bad for this but I feel more compelled to talk about your 2010 GOTY list than your Alpha Protocol recommendation. It may be slightly off topic but I noticed that VVVVVV was your GOTY 2010... I just wanted to say that I felt the same way, and cannot recommend that game enough to people. It's a hard game that's not frustrating in the slightest due to appropriately placed checkpoints. It only takes a few hours to beat but I've already put over 20 hours into the game replaying it, collecting all of the medals, playing user-created levels and creating them myself. Seriously, one of the greatest games ever made. I'd die for a sequel.

haikira

Off the top of my head, not much I can think of, that I want to see on sale. I'm sure that won't stop me wasting money though, once I see the crazy prices.

Here's a few I'd like to see go on sale though.

aWUKb.jpg
ML8fF.jpg

XDgcA.jpg
evHrq.jpg

The PC Screenshots thread, made me really want Need For Speed Hot Pursuit.

ShaneB

Good call on Alpha Protocol, I have it on my wishlist as well after hearing the GAF love and knowing it hits of lot of good things I wish were in more rpgs.

Using Stumps format as well:

header_292x136.jpg
header_292x136.jpg
header_292x136.jpg
header_292x136.jpg

We're moving in September and I'm getting a new PC to hook up to a TV in my room so I'll to stock up on some co-op/split-screen games to play with my brother. If there was something RPG-like (aside from Dungeon Siege III, which I own) I would get that too but Snowblind removedsadly refused to give LotR: War in the North that feature on PC like the bitches they are.

header_292x136.jpg
header_292x136.jpg
header_292x136.jpg

Just want to play some action TPS for a change. I hesitated on getting Transformers because there wasn't going to be a PC version for the sequel but since they changed plans I'm in. It can't be worse than Bay's stuff, right?

Lost Planet is just me being a masochist because I know that Lost Planet 3 will be a fucking dud. Never got around beating it back in 2007(?) and I have no idea where my disc went. I don't think I will get a good deal on this because CAPCPOM and the GFWL version (which I'm not getting again.) but maybe I'm lucky.

Binary Domain looked interesting from what I've seen. Don't know how the voice-controls are gonna be and I'm a bit wary of the shooting because it's a Japanese shooter after all but I think I can handle it.

header_292x136.jpg

Always wanted to get into this series so I was happy when they appeared on Steam. Don't think we'll get a good deal on Origin just yet.

Also, it's pronounced "eece", not "whyz"

header_292x136.jpg
header_292x136.jpg

Never played the first one and my memories of the second are pretty damn hazy. The complete pack recently was to steep for me since I already owned Deadly Shadows but 66% off or higher and I'll bite. Hopefully I'll get to play the entire series before Thief 4 arrives.

HoosTrax

I'm also quite interested in this (been on my wishlist since before release), but isn't there supposed to be some serious bugs / issues with the PC version? Can anyone elaborate on the PC version? I'm pretty sure I've read people complaining about the PC version in various KOA threads and, given that the studio has been shut down and it hasn't been fixed in the 6 months since release, I'm afraid I might actually have to delete this from my wishlist regardless of sale price.

I have 79 hours in KoA PC, and I don't recall anything particularly broken in just the PC version. The one big gripe I have in term of technical issues is that the camera can take a while to catch up to the player's running direction, so you have to do a lot of manual readjustment with the right analog.

But I would think that it would affect the 360 version as well.

There was a major bug on release day with AMD video cards I think, but that's obviously been fixed.

DagsJT

Off the top of my head, not much I can think of, that I want to see on sale. I'm sure that won't stop me wasting money though, once I see the crazy prices.

aWUKb.jpg
ML8fF.jpg

XDgcA.jpg
evHrq.jpg

You know NFS:HP is £5 on Origin?

I have 79 hours in KoA PC, and I don't recall anything particularly broken in just the PC version. The one big gripe I have in term of technical issues is that the camera can take a while to catch up to the player's running direction, so you have to do a lot of manual readjustment with the right analog.

But I would think that it would affect the 360 version as well.

There was a major bug on release day with AMD video cards I think, but that's obviously been fixed.
Ah thanks for that. I forget that most problems can be avoided by not using AMD <shudder> !

With that, I'm back in. Come on 75% off sale!

aWUKb.jpg
ML8fF.jpg

XDgcA.jpg
evHrq.jpg

These four (I swear you read my mind) plus:

5dy3D.jpg

Always wanted to play it. Looks pretty interesting.

bxcBV.jpg

I have no clue why. I just want it. Hopefully it will be cheap enough for me to just play around with some.

ybyEA.jpg

Obvious reasons aka it's awesome. Duh.

DWsP1.jpg

Looks super cool + can never have too much p&c.

r4xD2.jpg

Played the demo. The look is really cool. We'll see if the puzzle platforming is there.

fbea3.jpg

I know it just came out, but even if it's 25% off I'll jump on it probably.

98IPa.jpg

I have been waiting for a good sale on this forever (I really only want to pay a dollar or two :p ) just to have the icon in my library.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
Now you guys got me all excited. Now I have to go into work as I sit here in fhe parking lot like I'm going in for prison sentencing lol

header_292x136.jpg

I'm hoping this goes for ~£10 at the most in the sale; if it does I'll buy it without a second thought. Really enjoyed Shogun 2 and from what I've read about this expansion it adds everything good from Shogun 2 to everything good from Empire: Total War.

header_292x136.jpg

Keeping to a similar theme Sengoku is set during the same time period, but offers a slightly different experience. It comes from the same studio that provided us with Crusader Kings I and II, and plays on the same engine. The aim is to build the most powerful dynasty across Japan. I'm not sure I've ever really seen it cheaper than £25 outside of sales, so again I'm hoping this one gets a great big discount.

header_292x136.jpg

Classic bit of fun, hopefully its on offer for cheap. I miss Theme Hospital and Theme Park games. Come on EA dust off those old Bullfrog IPs!

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
Keeping to a similar theme Sengoku is set during the same time period, but offers a slightly different experience. It comes from the same studio that provided us with Crusader Kings I and II, and plays on the same engine. The aim is to build the most powerful dynasty across Japan. I'm not sure I've ever really seen it cheaper than £25 outside of sales, so again I'm hoping this one gets a great big discount.
Hate to break it to you, but it was at Gamers Gate for $4.50 the other week.

Edit: But Shogun 2 is on sale there right now for $7.50

Derrick01

Banned
I want Sengoku but I don't anticipate a large enough cut since I don't expect it to make a daily deal. I'm also telling myself that it's just a lesser version of Crusader Kings II so I don't spend unnecessary money during this sale :lol

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Of my list, the only games that I'd label as high priority are:

header_292x136.jpg
header_292x136.jpg
header_292x136.jpg

header_292x136.jpg
header_292x136.jpg

I still haven't finished Kingdoms of Amalur, but with 38 Studios being dissolved and the Steam version in particular being self-published, who knows how long the game and DLC will remain available for purchase.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom