• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM announcements & updates 2012 Thread 3 -

Status
Not open for further replies.
So you too know the shame of having Rogue Warrior tied to your Steam account.

I share your pain.

(I finished it, though; had to see how bad it really was. Let's just say it met my expectations.)

did you like the ending song? I just youtubed it. it's required listening for any gamer.

Dam same issues for weeks now. Anyone have an issue when they download games where i try to scroll up in my game library and then it goes down on it's own. This happens every time i am downloading a game on Steam. Any idea how to fix it?

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
Man the game design quality really dropped off in the second half of Deadlight. The first half was quite enjoyable though. I went back and got the last couple collectables I missed so all I have left achievement-wise is the leaderboard one and Nightmare mode. Apparently Nightmare mode has to be done in a single sitting and you only get checkpoints between levels- just checked myself and the dude is fucking liar. You don't get any checkpoints between levels. Absolutely the worst thing in the world.

Soi-Fong

Man the game design quality really dropped off in the second half of Deadlight. The first half was quite enjoyable though. I went back and got the last couple collectables I missed so all I have left achievement-wise is the leaderboard one and Nightmare mode. Apparently Nightmare mode has to be done in a single sitting and you only get checkpoints between levels. Not the worst thing in the world.

Was thinking about this game also, but gotta save some monies for AC Liberation..

On another note, I love the Japanese naming scheme more, where they used "Lady Liberty" instead of "Liberation."

louiedog

Sup!

sZbQ7.png

I didn't think that I cared about a Halloween sale, but this reminds me that I really, really want to play Vampire: The Masquerade and it was included in the last one.

ShaneB

Anyone here play Chivalry: Medieval Warfare? I've been thinking about getting it if it's similar to M&B Warband.

I'm not sure about Warband since I never played it, but Chivalry is awesome fun. Here's the OT if you're interested. Bunch of gaffers have bought it, and it's getting pretty get reception. Developer has lots of future plans for it as well, and with modding eventually, it's exciting to see what will come.

Doomrider

Man the game design quality really dropped off in the second half of Deadlight. The first half was quite enjoyable though. I went back and got the last couple collectables I missed so all I have left achievement-wise is the leaderboard one and Nightmare mode. Apparently Nightmare mode has to be done in a single sitting and you only get checkpoints between levels. Not the worst thing in the world.

Can you explain in which way(s) the design quality drops? Is it in terms of objectives, level design, difficulty, or a combination of those (or other factors)? I'm interested in the game, but I remember seeing GT's review for it when it came out on the 360 and the main problems they raised were some cheap deaths, a long mid-game level which hurt the pace of the game and a difficulty spike at the end. Would you agree with this?

I would like to have a better understanding of the game's problems for it to have such middling reviews when it's seemingly solid in terms of mechanics and presentation.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
Basically in the second have it becomes more action-focused and the controls don't really hold up under pressure. The scripting is a bit too rigid and some of the later levels make you jump through too many insta-death hoops before giving you a checkpoint. It ruins the pacing of the game.

derFeef

Told you guys :(
Game changes in the second half, all atmosphere is gone and the mechanics are janky if you need to do something fast.

Ricker

Hunted is not bad at all but I never could beat the final Boss,such a pain in the ass...well worth it though and I played it on the 360...it probably looks a lot better on PC...

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
I think GAF over hypes it. I put 20 hours into it and I didn't see the amazing appeal.

I think you ought to browse more gaming sites if you think "GAF" over hypes it. It's been pretty well beloved by RPG fans. Of course, no one game will appeal to everybody, but that's not "GAF" overrating it.

I've been thinking, are there any good modern First Person Adventures? Portal and Amnesia are probably the obvious choices but I'm looking for something closer to Myst.

I'm just in the mood for something in first person where I can take my time and enjoy the atmosphere and/or puzzles. I mentioned Scratches earlier and the Still Life series look like they might fit the bill as well. 1953: KGB Unleashed looks like something I'd enjoy but it hasn't been greenlit yet. Doesn't seem to be a lot out there, sadly.

Seems like our days of borderline insane deals on GMG are over. Someone gifted me a 25% code today. I can't use it for popular (although already discounted for a bit) games; namely Dishonored. :(

So well, quote me if you want it, I don't think it'll last much longer too.

Derrick01

Banned
Let me rephrase: I think it's overrated.

I'll agree with you. It did not hit the same good feelings other old RPGs did and Deus Ex did and I did play as a Malkavian my first time.

echothreealpha said:
Seems like our days of borderline insane deals on GMG are over. Someone gifted me a 25% code today. I can't use it for popular (although already discounted for a bit) games; namely Dishonored. :(

Maybe it was a special case because the codes worked on Dishonored before it came out. I got it for $48 and others got it for like $45 later on. The only ones I've noticed that seem to be putting a freeze on GMG is 2K because Xcom did not work for north americans and Bioshock Infinite doesn't appear to either.

graywolf323

So well, quote me if you want it, I don't think it'll last much longer too.

I'm interested in the 25% off code if you still have it and don't want it

edit: thanks!

damn though you really can't use the voucher on much anymore... also read that GMG is not extending the new rewards to previous pre-orders on Hitman

kinda worried the site is ruining itself :(

Maybe it was a special case because the codes worked on Dishonored before it came out. I got it for $48 and others got it for like $45 later on. The only ones I've noticed that seem to be putting a freeze on GMG is 2K because Xcom did not work for north americans and Bioshock Infinite doesn't appear to either.

I would cry right now if I am not so bloody sleepy.

I'm interested in the 25% off code if you still have it and don't want it

PM'ed. Have fun man.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Man the game design quality really dropped off in the second half of Deadlight. The first half was quite enjoyable though. I went back and got the last couple collectables I missed so all I have left achievement-wise is the leaderboard one and Nightmare mode. Apparently Nightmare mode has to be done in a single sitting and you only get checkpoints between levels- just checked myself and the dude is fucking liar. You don't get any checkpoints between levels. Absolutely the worst thing in the world.

I'll have to pick up the PC version at some point.

I'm like #50 or so in the world on the XBLA leaderboards, I think I'm around 55 minutes or so total time.

I'm not sure I could finish the game without dying, but I could probably finish it with fewer than 5 deaths. Really the entry to the Rat's Lair and two or three segments in the final base are the only trial-and-error sections,e verything else just requires skill.

I've been thinking, are there any good modern First Person Adventures? Portal and Amnesia are probably the obvious choices but I'm looking for something closer to Myst.

I'm just in the mood for something in first person where I can take my time and enjoy the atmosphere and/or puzzles. I mentioned Scratches earlier and the Still Life series look like they might fit the bill as well. 1953: KGB Unleashed looks like something I'd enjoy but it hasn't been greenlit yet. Doesn't seem to be a lot out there, sadly.

1953 is available on Gamersgate and it's a really nice adventure game. The developer's other game, Outcry, is also on Gamersgate as part of their VOID service which is essentially a free-to-play rental type system. Other games include:

Darkness Within 1/2, Dracula 3, Secrets of Da Vinci, Nostradamus The Last Prophecy, Dark Fall (any of them, but Lost Souls is the best IMO), Anna, Post Mortem (GOG), Return to Mysterious Island, AGON series...Adventuregamers.com has a good list.

Do note that most of these aren't available on Steam, unfortunately.

damn though you really can't use the voucher on much anymore... also read that GMG is not extending the new rewards to previous pre-orders on Hitman

Yeah, that sucks. I pre-ordered it 3 months ago on a whim.

Maybe I should just fucking pre-order something 2 days before it's released in the future to be safe.

xptoxyz

Having a problem where I try to download a demo for a specific game and it does nothing, either the in-Steam store button, or running the install link from a browser. Anyone ever had this happen? I think I might have had this demo installed but then never played it, could a left over file I can't find be causing this?

Sysgen

Having a problem where I try to download a demo for a specific game and it does nothing, either the in-Steam store button, or running the install link from a browser. Anyone ever had this happen? I think I might have had this demo installed but then never played it, could a left over file I can't find be causing this?

For example here is a demo link. steam://install/220840

Go to C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\userdata\<some number>\220480 and delete it or rename it. Exit Steam, relaunch it and try again.

xptoxyz

For example here is a demo link. steam://install/220840

Go to C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\userdata\<some number>\220480 and delete it or rename it. Exit Steam, relaunch it and try again.

Sadly the demo (XCOM: EU) doesn't have any folder with its code in that folder.

1953 is available on Gamersgate and it's a really nice adventure game. The developer's other game, Outcry, is also on Gamersgate as part of their VOID service which is essentially a free-to-play rental type system. Other games include:

Darkness Within 1/2, Dracula 3, Secrets of Da Vinci, Nostradamus The Last Prophecy, Dark Fall (any of them, but Lost Souls is the best IMO), Anna, Post Mortem (GOG), Return to Mysterious Island, AGON series...Adventuregamers.com has a good list.

Do note that most of these aren't available on Steam, unfortunately.

Thanks for the suggestions!

I'm kinda wary of purchasing non-Steamworks games off Gamersgate and sadly Void isn't supported in my country but I will definitely look into Anna, Dark Fall and the Darkness within series.

Not Return to Mysterious Island though. That monkey is freaking me out D:

Thanks for the suggestions!

I'm kinda wary of purchasing non-Steamworks games off Gamersgate and sadly Void isn't supported in my country but I will definitely look into Anna, Dark Fall and the Darkness within series.

Not Return to Mysterious Island though. That monkey is freaking me out D:

I wouldn't be wary at all. I use it for most of those games and have been nothing but pleased with the service. But yea, definitely check those out.

Salsa

MW will be 25 in a few weeks.

I somehow doubt it. I absolutely love Burnout Paradise and Hot Pursuit, so it's not like it's money wasted, it's just that I hate buying stuff on that service. Premium is mostly cause I only have the Karkand DLC and once I get my gtx670 back from RMA im gonna do a BF3 revival for sure.

This shit is gonna happen all over again with SimCity isnt it

Bentendo

Steam just has a sale on the AC franchise a few days ago... unless you meant something else?

From Wikipedia:

"Steamworks is a freely available application programming interface (API) that provides development and publishing tools to game developers, allowing them to take advantage of the Steam client's features.[47][48][48][49] Specifically, Steamworks provides the means for games to integrate with the Steam client, including networking and player authentication tools for both server and peer-to-peer multiplayer games, matchmaking services, support for Steam community friends and groups, Steam statistics and achievements, integrated voice communications, and Steam Cloud support; the API also provides for anti-cheating devices and digital copy management.[49] Steamworks can be combined with a standard Steam distribution agreement, the latter of which gives it advertising space in the Steam store but also provides Valve with a share of revenue."

Salsa! Get Most Wanted! There is like 12 Gaffers getting it on PC and think of all the online goodness!

I really wish I had money for Hotline Miami and Chivalry. Both look fantastic.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom