• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM announcements & updates 2013 II - ITT we buy $1 games and complain about them

Status
Not open for further replies.

dave is ok

aztek is ok
Yeah. You can run all five if you'd like.

Edit: I apparently uninstalled SS3. D'oh. :(
They've actually stated on the Trading Card Group that running multiple games will result in much slower drops and it's quicker to go one at a time.
It's not that great of a game, so not owning it is understandable.
Yeah, I'd never play it. I just assumed I had it from a bundle somewhere. It's always around for dirt cheap

HoosTrax

Skulls of the Shogun Pre-Purchase - $11.99 (-20% off)

Pre-purchase to receive access to the Beta. The game comes out in July.

Features you care about:

Steam Achievements
Steam Leaderboards

It's self-published by 17-BIT.
Well it looks like they did a proper job with the port. Wait, I shouldn't say that, since it was a PC game to begin with. In any case, they did a proper job with the Steam version, so I'll gladly give them my money.

In other news, I should really set up a remote desktop steambox with IGP out of spare parts, since it looks like Steam cards are in it for the long haul.

Only own two of the games today. Hopefully the price won't bottom out on the market before I can get home from work and get the cards. IF they don't then steam will be paying for Mark of the Ninja tonight.

maty

Full list:

- Anodyne
- Blocks That Matter
- Brutal Legend
- Serious Sam 3: BFE
- Super Meat Boy

Excellent, I own everything except SS3 (thankfully if I go by opinions around here :p)

The good thing about cards, besides free money, is that I know what to play next if I was undecided.

On another subject, everyone who doesn't have Mark of the Ninja buy it. I don't think it will get any cheaper than this at least from steam.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Seeing as Brutal Legend has 8 card drops, I might as well leave it running overnight. See you all in Thread 3, I assume!

Edit: On second thought, I'll stick around until I get my first drop, just in case. I don't want to wake up to nothing. :(

Phinor

Good to see Skulls of the Shogun on proper platforms but they decided to bump up the price compared to releases already available so I'll definitely wait for 75% off. It launched at $14.99 back when it was released but quickly dropped down to $9.99 base price. Coming to Steam half a year later with the same exact product and 50% higher price tag isn't really what I consider fair.

HoosTrax

Good to see Skulls of the Shogun on proper platforms but they decided to bump up the price compared to releases already available so I'll definitely wait for 75% off. It launched at $14.99 back when it was released but quickly dropped down to $9.99 base price. Coming to Steam half a year later with the same exact product and 50% higher price tag isn't really what I consider fair.
There's Steam-exclusive content that the other versions won't be getting (ironically).

Grief.exe

Seeing as Brutal Legend has 8 card drops, I might as well leave it running overnight. See you all in Thread 3, I assume!

Edit: On second thought, I'll stick around until I get my first drop, just in case. I don't want to wake up to nothing. :(

Make sure its dropping before you go off to sleep.

One time I've had to restart the game before I got any card drops.

What's the point of getting all the cards or badges?

Sneak peak from the new thread

Trading Cards are dropped from playing eligible games, collect the full set to craft a badge. Games only drop about half of the cards required to complete a badge, you have to trade or purchase the other cards to finish the set.
Crafting a full set of cards nets you 100 XP, emoticons, profile backgrounds, coupons, and a badge for your profile. With the exception of the badge, all Trading Card items are marketable.
To get into the beta, join the Steam Trading Card Group or purchase the Beta from the Steam Market

i1r5QXFVcAiMK.png

Steam Levels were added with the Trading Card Beta. Joining the beta will update your profile page and give you the ability to gain levels. Levels are earned by badges such as Potato Stack, Pillar of the Community, Christmas Sale, etc as well as crafting a full set of Trading Cards
Get to level 10 to unlock Profile Showcases. Choose from Achievement Showcase, Game Collector, Item Showcase, Items Up For Trade, Badge Collector, Favorite Game, Screenshot Showcase, Custom Info Box, Favorite Group, Recommendation Showcase, Workshop Showcase, and Favorite Guide. Every ten levels will let you add another showcase to your profile, so at level 10 you get 1 showcase, 2 at level 20, 3 at level 30, and so on.

derExperte

People keep saying the card prices will inevitably drop but I'm not so sure anymore, some are getting rarer by the day and the prices start to fluctuate. I think I'll keep a few just in case...

wetflame

Pizza Dog
Full list:

- Anodyne
- Blocks That Matter
- Brutal Legend
- Super Meat Boy

Thought I had Blocks That Matter but then I realised I bought it on XBIG. Booooo. Don't have any of the others, though I'd love some Brutal Legend cards. Don't know why I didn't jump on that Double Fine bundle when it came out, kicking myself about it now :(

JaseC

Make sure its dropping before you go off to sleep.

One time I've had to restart the game before I got any card drops.

Yeah, that came to mind the moment after I posted, haha. Here's hoping I get another foil or two and they actually sell (yes, my foils from last week are still collecting dust on the market).

Grief.exe

Yeah, that came to mind the moment after I posted, haha. Here's hoping I get another foil or two and they actually sell (yes, my foils from last week are still collecting dust on the market).

I personally think Valve made a huge mistake by opening them up to anyone under level 10.

Of course, its arguable that the prices were a little too ridiculous.

I'm just greedy and wanted more money for the Summer Sale. The only foil I ever saw sold for $20+.

People keep saying the card prices will inevitably drop but I'm not so sure anymore, some are getting rarer by the day and the prices start to fluctuate. I think I'll keep a few just in case...

They're adding Booster packs to the system soon,so I doubt prices will go up, originally I thought there could be a supply issue once people start crafting badges but when the booster packs start that'll no longer be a concern so prices should stabilise/fall

zkylon

zkylewd
Full list:

- Anodyne
- Blocks That Matter
- Brutal Legend
- Super Meat Boy

Edit: Beaten, but, hey new page. ;)
this saorise doesn't look like saorise but she brings news of two games I own.

I'll play some more meat boy (even tho I suck hard at it) and try blocks that matter for the first time

JaseC

I personally think Valve made a huge mistake by opening them up to anyone under level 10.

Of course, its arguable that the prices were a little too ridiculous.

Yeah, I'm inclined to agree with this. These days you have to be super quick to the market to have a (slim) chance at selling one for more than (a listed price of) ~$10. It's basically a race to the bottom after the first day.

Maxwood

Oh rock of ages, do not crumble, love is breathing still. Oh lady moon shine down, a little people magic if you will.
Now I want some Psychonauts steamcards. I love that game so much, I might even collect them all.
First Super Meat Boy drop btw, Dr. Fetus. Picture is huuuuuuuge. :)

dave is ok

aztek is ok
I said that about strike suit infinity. By the time I got home to install and play it the market value dropped to .50 a card.
You can still pay for the game if you wait it out. I waited a day or two and then sold my Strike Suit cards for over a dollar each.

Booster Packs aren't not coming this week

johnc said:
Thanks for the feedback everyone, lots of good suggestions. I'll try to answer a few of the questions:
- Yes we are thinking that you can get multiple booster packs drops for the same game, but it'll take quite a while to get multiple booster, certainly far from infinite.
- 'Participating in the community' wouldn't mean grinding out posts but doing at least one of some set of activities each week. It could be as simple as logging in and playing any game once a week keeps you eligible for boosters; it could be more complicated like at least one thumbs up on in your friends activity feed. Idling in games will not increase your chances of getting a booster.
- Game Collectors badge will be based on the # of games, regardless of price and where they came from. We're working with a few of the serious game collectors on getting the counting method just right.
- The Card Binder won't show cards you've sold or traded away; only ones that you have in your inventory or have been made into badges (ie. the same card won't show in multiple users binders). If people have a different suggestion for the name of Card Binder please post.
- None of this is going to ship this week. OK maybe the Game Collectors Badge will. Just don't hold your breath :)

For boosters, we were thinking that we would add a bonus to your booster pack drop rate based on your Steam Level, to give more incentives to craft badges while still giving everyone a chance. Something like:
Level 10: +20% booster pack drop rate
Level 20: +40% booster pack drop rate
Level 30: +60% booster pack drop rate
etc.
So a Level 50 users would get boosters at double the rate of a level 1 user.
Another option would be to make it so the booster you can get are better somehow at higher levels, but we haven't thought through what that would look like.

Feedback, thoughts, suggestions are all welcome, thanks.

sibarraz

Banned
I think that is fine to see foil cards open for everyone, that way if someone really want the badge, doesn't need to paid stupid prices for just 1 card, is the best for the system

Screw it I picked up Go Home Dinosaurs and Mark of the Ninja, with 3 games now for more card drops to get tonight I should be able to make some of that back.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom