• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM announcements & updates 2013 II - ITT we buy $1 games and complain about them

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nabs

People actin' like Bioshock 2 is:

http://i.imgur.com/8qtJ8ne.jpg

When really it is:

A5iX4zO.jpg

To Infinite... and beyond?

morningbus

Serious Sam is a wicked gahbidge series for chowdaheads.
You could have just posted the cover of When Nature Calls to make the same point while maintaining franchise consistency. ;)

I consider the first and second movie one and the same, though.

I watch my special fan-cut that seamlessly blends them into one continuous movie all the time.

My point was more about the direct-to-dvd aspect of the comment. And, even though Toy Story 2 started off initially as a direct to dvd project, the project overcame that.

1-D_FTW

Yup, Bad Company 2 was fun back in the day. But maybe it's hard for me to split "games that were fun" from "games that were fun because I played them with friends".

It was no BF 1942 (or Desert Combat), but it's a huge step up in the fun department compared to the pure sludge of BF 3.

Dr Dogg

I'd be inclined to agree, but development was split between five developers over a period of at least 2 years.

Isn't that what all the cool kids are doing now a days when you got to put out a game to fill the void? Just look at Ass Creed: Revelations. Developed by Ubisoft Montreal with additional work by Ubisoft Annecy, Ubisoft Massive, Ubisoft Quebec, Ubisoft Singapore and Ubisoft Bucharest.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
I consider the first and second movie one and the same, though.

My point was more about the direct-to-dvd aspect of the comment. And, even though Toy Story 2 started off initially as a direct to dvd project, the project overcame that.

But your comparison fails in that Toy Story 2 didn't "overcome that" by being a better film despite its hindrances, but by being rebooted as a high-budget theatrical release.

Isn't that what all the cool kids are doing now a days when you got to put out a game to fill the void? Just look at Ass Creed: Revelations. Developed by Ubisoft Montreal with additional work by Ubisoft Annecy, Ubisoft Massive, Ubisoft Quebec, Ubisoft Singapore and Ubisoft Bucharest.

My point is that there was more than enough resouces -- both in a physical and temporal sense -- to make a world of (relatively) slight visual difference.

dLMN8R

I liked Bioshock 2 more than the original Bioshock.

There, I said it.

Better combat, more interesting characters and reveals, far more satisfying final 1/3 of the game, and endings which didn't disappoint.

Plus, the best single-player DLC out there.

morningbus

Serious Sam is a wicked gahbidge series for chowdaheads.
But your comparison fails in that Toy Story didn't "overcome that" by being a better film despite its hindrances, but by being rebooted as a high-budget theatrical release.

Wikipedia said:
When story reels proved promising, Disney upgraded the film to theatrical release, but Pixar was unhappy with the film's quality.

I understand it was reworked by Pixar after that, but still. It overcame.

Besides, Ace Ventura would fail out too as the second movie did better with the critics than the first.

BS2 had better gameplay and was way scarier.

BS1 was boring and only praised for its crappy societal storyline that you could've just read a book about then.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
I liked Bioshock 2 more than the original Bioshock.

There, I said it.

Better combat, more interesting characters and reveals, far more satisfying final 1/3 of the game, and endings which didn't disappoint.

Plus, the best single-player DLC out there.

Testify.

HoosTrax

BFBC2: Vietnam has no SP campaign right? I'm probably one of the few people who played and liked the BFBC2 SP campaign.

Dr Dogg

My point is that there was more than enough resouces -- both in a physical and temporal sense -- to make a world of (relatively) slight visual difference.

Oh I wholeheartedly agree. Hence why I used Revelations as a comparison. Around the same time of development and a larger dev team but the game (and I've played this one so should have enough experience to comment) still ends up reusing parts of the past games. As with most art it is easier to build upon something that is existing than to start from scratch.

Anyway seeing a BFBC2 is a daily the last time I checked (about 2 months ago) there was still around 4,000 players and 700 odd servers up. Vietnam is dead now though.

JaseC

Oh I wholeheartedly agree. Hence why I used Revelations as a comparison. Around the same time of development and a larger dev team but the game (and I've played this one so should have enough experience to comment) still ends up reusing parts of the past games. As with most art it is easier to build upon something that is existing than to start from scratch.

Ah, right! I wasn't sure which way you were leaning with your post: "AssCreed Revs doesn't use varied assets despite its manpower" or "AssCreed Revs couldn't use varied assets despite its manpower".

No, but that's not saying much since BF3's is terrible too.

If somebody held a gun to my head and asked me to name two aspects of Battlefield 3 I genuinely consider to be great, I'd say "the audio" and then I'd be dead. Hearing the cracks of gunfire reveberate throughout the geometry is something of an eargasm, but beyond that I can't recommend it for anything else. (Disclaimer: I don't play it in MP.)

Flunkie

Banned
Game of Thrones is tempting for $15 on GMG, as is Defiance for $45 with the 25% off coupon.

Talk me down/encourage my frivolousness GAF.

JaseC

Game of Thrones is tempting for $15 on GMG, as is Defiance for $45 with the 25% off coupon.

Talk me down/encourage my frivolousness GAF.

With Steam games, if you have to ask, you should already have bought it.

I'm enjoying it. Apparently it's short (three hours to finish the story, six to 100%) but it a nice run-through of Japenese Adventure/RPG history and it has its own unique atmosphere amongst all the fan service. Depending on your history with those kinds of games $9 seems about right, $5 would be ideal though.

How does Evoland play on a high resolution of, say, 1080p? Does the PS1/iOS era stuff not look too clean compared to the pixel art?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom