• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM Announcements & Updates 2013 IV - Christmas in July is over, back to real life

Status
Not open for further replies.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
logging in to the game? I just used sam to refresh all of my games with cards, and now they are showing up on the badges page. so to be eligible for a booster, the game has to be on the badges page?

To be eligible for a booster you need to have used up all your drops for a game and been online (on Steam) once in the past week.

morningbus

Serious Sam is a wicked gahbidge series for chowdaheads.
Ah, I understand, sorry, did not know you care about achievements. But can people see my achievements stat since I have my profile as private?

I believe your achievements still contribute to the global list, though. So people will still see that someone gained the achievement.

No, but Steam tracks all the achievements (incl. private profiles) and you'll see how "well" you've done compared to others. This is completely nonsense to some and important to others.

3tkDDju.jpg

edit: I'm all for cheating for your own purpose, but if it affects other players it's a completely different matter.

BTW if anyone is running through this problem (rare achivement showcase broken images), the solution is to earn a new achievement, and the broken images will be fixed

JaseC

BTW if anyone is running through this problem (rare achivement showcase broken images), the solution is to earn a new achievement, and the broken images will be fixed

Next on the Valve agenda: breaking a user's game collector showcase until they buy another game/piece of DLC!

I don't mind chasing achievements if I'm having fun with the game and they're loosely tied to what I'm doing, otherwise they're utterly inconsequential to me.

This is my approach, and mostly of the time I don't even look the achievenent page, but I find it rewarding when the message appears in my screen.

No, but Steam tracks all the achievements (incl. private profiles) and you'll see how "well" you've done compared to others. This is completely nonsense to some and important to others.

3tkDDju.jpg

edit: I'm all for cheating for your own purpose, but if it affects other players it's a completely different matter.

well we found out who the .01% is.

image.php

fantomena

Guys, Im gonna send a ticket to Valve and ask them if they can disable achuevements on my profile, if the don't Im gonna stop using SAM. Im really sorry if this cheating did go into some of you. Hope you all are okay.

JaseC

Just ordered myself (£21.92 for UK folk) - are they only giving keys when the game is released? Was hoping for a cheeky preload ahead of time.

Keys will be distributed when they're received and that ball is entirely in 2K's court. That said, if there's a pre-load period, you're likely to get your key prior to release.

Next on the Valve agenda: breaking a user's game collector showcase until they buy another game/piece of DLC!

lol

What if you already 100%-ed everything :eek:

Herrr, well I don't know, maybe if buy a new game an get a new achievement...yes, that should fix the problem lol

I had this problem, I had the Rare Achievement Showcase then I changed it to the Achievement Showcase, but then I decided to go back and the Rare Achievement Showcase was showing broken images, so I found the solution by just getting a new achievement!

scokem

Neo Member
Just ordered myself (£21.92 for UK folk) - are they only giving keys when the game is released? Was hoping for a cheeky preload ahead of time.

I'm intrigued as I definitely want to get this pre-ordered. Did you need to fake an address or anything like that or did you just provide your UK payment details?

"I don't care about achievements so I cheat to 100% everything."

Every time thus guy posts in the thread it's a...... well, it's a something.

J.Edge

Neo Member
I'm intrigued as I definitely want to get this pre-ordered. Did you need to fake an address or anything like that or did you just provide your UK payment details?

I don't think I gave an address at all, you can just get away with email and password, and then just go straight to Paypal - it might be different if you do the card payment through them rather than Paypal though...

honorless

We don't have "get out of jail free" cards, but if we did, she'd have one.
Guys, Im gonna send a ticket to Valve and ask them if they can disable achuevements on my profile, if the don't Im gonna stop using SAM. Im really sorry if this cheating did go into some of you. Hope you all are okay.
Dude, it's fine. I'm pretty sure the number of people on Steam who cheat achievements is so low as to be statistically irrelevant.

derExperte

Whatever Valve did with the Steam newsfeed was a terrible idea. It now mixes everything together, I don't even know what is for what game and there's even something in Russian.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Is there a reason Steam won't let me buy this?

Steam said:
Your transaction failed because you are trying to buy 'Magic the Gathering: Duels of the Planeswalkers: Gold Expansion Bundle' which requires ownership of 'Duels of the Planeswalkers'. Please correct the error and try again.

What? Isn't it included with the first expansion in that bundle?

Oh, This the page proper Steam really needs to make longer titles more clear on the Window because I thought it was including Expansion one.

Okay, new problem: It won't let me add that to the cart which is "what?"

Grief.exe

Dude, it's fine. I'm pretty sure the number of people on Steam who cheat achievements is so low as to be statistically irrelevant.

This is what I was thinking, there is no way one person would have an overall effect on the whole thing.

People like fan just make up part of that .1% you see on certain achievements. Its probably much less than .1%, but that is the lowest decimal Valve has set to display.

oipic

A few hours ago, I thought I'd wake up to find the new thread up and running, but the way things are going, it'll happen before I doze off...

There's been some tension in the SteamGAF ranks in recent days, and while I love healthy discussion and debate as much as any passionate gamer/GAFfer, my bedtime wish is for the next thread to be, umm, more like the previous ones. I had a better point to make, somewhere there, but...tired, medicated, have lost my train of thought!

Anyway, as our resident Monk and merchant of positive karma would say, be nice to each other, and see you folks in the shiny new thread. :)

I do care about achievements, and sometimes I'm very tempted to get them all in certain games by all means necessary.

For example, I tried to 100% SR3. After almost falling asleep completing some of the survival missions (killing 800 zombies? WTF, Volition?) I found out that there are Steam-only achievements for beating every mission and activity in coop. After beating the whole game by myself. I always look up achievement guides @ x360achievements, so I didn't notice :(

Seriously, I don't remember the last time I was so pissed. To be honest, the only reason I didn't unlock them using SAM is because I already talked about it with some IRL friends, and I wouldn't want them to find out I cheated :( At least I got the "play coop for 5 hours" one thanks to the sudden influx of randoms asking to join my game after the Humble Bundle...

I do care about achievements, and sometimes I'm very tempted to get them all in certain games.

For example, I tried to 100% SR3. After almost falling asleep completing some of the survival missions (killing 800 zombies? WTF, Volition?) I found out that there are Steam-only achievements for beating every mission and activity in coop. After beating the whole game by myself. I always look up achievement guides @ x360achievements, so I didn't notice :(

Seriously, I don't remember the last time I was so pissed. To be honest, the only reason I didn't unlock them using SAM is because I already talked about it with some IRL friends, and I wouldn't want them to find out I cheated :( At least I got the "play coop for 5 hours" one thanks to the sudden influx of randoms asking to join my game after the Humble Bundle...

Would anyone really look at your steamprofile, look at the times you unlocked the achievements and see if you cheated?

r3n4ud

Cool. I might have to bite on that when it's slightly cheaper. (I own the board versions)

Speaking of slightly cheaper, people who've ordered SR4 from nuuvem, have you already received your key(s)? Or will they send them out when they get them.

Haven't received my key yet, although, I only preordered last night after seeing its OT

Grief.exe

So Catan doesn't have multiplayer? An no controller support?

I might pick it up eventually to have on the HTPC for parties, but whats the point?

JaseC

So Catan doesn't have multiplayer? An no controller support?

I might pick it up eventually to have on the HTPC for parties, but whats the point?

Somebody must have told the devs that Steam users will buy anything if the price is right.

Would anyone really look at your steamprofile, look at the times you unlocked the achievements and see if you cheated?

They wouldn't look at my Steam profile, but they would see it on the Activity Feed. My cousin, in fact, has asked me how did I get a certain achievement / what did I thing of a certaint plot point after unlocking a story-related achievement. (Well, I do that, too!)

I'm not, I'm in bits here. You've put me back 5 years emotionally. You owe me £500 for therapy.

Cheers,

Mitch

Grief.exe

Warning: It apparently has no online features.

It doesn't have any local multiplayer or controller support either.

What's the point of this release? Single player Catan?

I haven't played Catan in a while, can't remember if there is an element in secrecy. IE you hide the amount of resources you have from another player or something, which would render local multiplayer difficult.

The 360 version by Big Huge had online multiplayer.

HriljUV.png

nexen

Well, I suck at board games to the point of embarrassment and have always been curious about Catan soo ... if the price is right ...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom