• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM Announcements & Updates 2013 IV - Christmas in July is over, back to real life

Status
Not open for further replies.

derExperte

There are no runtime restrictions, though, and the app id isn't unique. At worst he'll need a Brazil-based VPN to activate the key.

And the region lock for Russia has been in place since it appeared in the registry. So I don't think we'll have any trouble, are there even instances where something from Brazil was locked from activation?

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
And the region lock for Russia has been in place since it appeared in the registry. So I don't think we'll have any trouble, are there even instances where something from Brazil was locked from activation?

Not to my knowledge. The only instances of region-locked keys I'm aware of are:

- Inversion (North America)
- Dead Island GOTY (North America)
- Mafia 2 (North America)
- Civilization IV/V (can't remember which exactly; North America)

All Amazon keys, too, but I would assume that other NA-based retailers are the same.

So if I have the ROW version of SR4, does that means that I will need to buy the ROW version of the DLC too?

Every version of the game uses the same app so the DLC will be universal.

- Inversion (North America)
- Dead Island GOTY (North America)
- Mafia 2 (North America)
- Civilization IV/V (can't remember which exactly; North America)

All Amazon keys, too, but I would assume that other NA-based retailers are the same.

There are some (very few) keys which specifically don't activate in Germany, but that's a special case of course. SR3 is one of those

Turfster

Pretty sure Dead Island couldn't be registered in Germany.
Special case, I know, but still.

Also, do you have to VPN when you add the key to your library, or when it unlocks on the day itself? If it's the former and they send out keys a few days early and people can add them without problems, I might try grabbing it anyway...

JaseC

Pretty sure Dead Island couldn't be registered in Germany.
Special case, I know, but still.

Also, do you have to VPN when you add the key to your library, or when it unlocks on the day itself? If it's the former and they send out keys a few days early and people can add them without problems, I might try grabbing it anyway...

Assuming the BR sub is set to unlock at the same time as elsewhere, you'd only need to use the VPN when activating the key, otherwise you'd need to run it for the pre-load button to change to "Play" (you can disable the VPN once you're in-game; you won't be booted back to Steam or anything of the sort).

Turfster

Assuming the BR sub is set to unlock at the same time as elsewhere, you'd only need to use the VPN when activating the key, otherwise you'll need to run it for the pre-load button to change to "Play" (you can disable the VPN once you're in-game; you won't be booted back to Steam or anything of the sort).

Right. Guess I'll see... Damn that 50% off, so tempting...

JaseC

ModBot finally got back to me. ;) I'll save the giveaway for the new thread.

Edit: If I'd known that something was awry I wouldn't have invoked the no lurkers rule. Oops. I'll hold off for a couple days to allow people to move beyond the threshold.

ModBot finally got back to me. ;) I'll save the giveaway for the new thread.

Edit: If I'd known that something was awry I wouldn't have invoked the no lurkers rule. Oops. I'll hold off for a couple days to allow people to move beyond the threshold.

The no lurkers rule counts the current and the previous thread. Shouldn't be a problem.

Don't you need five posts in both threads separately?

But won't the current thread be referring to the new thread once it's up? This thread will be locked once the new thread is up which is going to be any minute now.

Yeah, the message says "and", not "or".

if you have both five or fewer posts in this Steam thread and five or fewer posts in the immediate previous one--you are not eligible for this giveaway.

This is what the rule says, am I misunderstanding it?
You are only not eligible if you have five or fewer posts in BOTH threads. Right?
So having >6 posts in this one should be ok to enter the giveaway.

JaseC

if you have both five or fewer posts in this Steam thread and five or fewer posts in the immediate previous one--you are not eligible for this giveaway.

You are only not eligible if you have five or fewer posts in BOTH threads. Right?

What I gather is that ModBot will be pointed to the new thread once it's up, making that the "current" thread and this thread the "previous" thread; ergo, people would need more than five posts in the new thread also, which is a problem when it's just been made.

But what I gather is that ModBot will be pointed to the new thread once it's up, making that the "current" thread and this thread the "previous" thread; ergo, people would need five posts in the new thread also, which is a problem when it's just been made.

I don't think it works that way.

If you have both five or fewer posts in this Steam thread and five or fewer posts in the immediate previous one--you are not eligible for this giveaway.

Having five posts in one thread makes the above assertion false. Do you have 5 posts in this thread (that will become the previous one)? If you do, you do not have five or fewer posts in the immediate previous one, and that makes you elegible for giveaways.

But what I gather is that ModBot will be pointed to the new thread once it's up, making that the "current" thread and this thread the "previous" thread; ergo, people would need five posts in the new thread also, which is a problem when it's just been made.

Maybe Stump can clarify, because that's not what I'm getting out of the rule. It's not 6 or more in BOTH threads to be eligible, it's 5 or less in BOTH to be NOT eligible.

The rule just excludes you if you weren't active in both threads. Otherwise it does nothing.

73V3N

Banned
What I gather is that ModBot will be pointed to the new thread once it's up, making that the "current" thread and this thread the "previous" thread; ergo, people would need more than five posts in the new thread also, which is a problem when it's just been made.

But then people that only post in the new thread and never posted on this one will always be "lurkers" even if they are active in the new thread.

JaseC

Ah, I see now. Leave me alone, it's midnight here! ;)

Edit: I'll probably still wait until later to post the giveaway, though, since the new thread always begins with a storm of "new thread!" posts.

Giran

I'm with Jase here. It's a conjunctive condition. You need both 5 posts in this one, and 5 posts in the next one to be eligible. Not five posts combined from the two threads.

Brofist

Im getting bad download speeds. Steam jumps from 3.8 MB/s to 0 in seconds.

Speeds are fine for me

TCtyeLw.png

JaseC

I'm with Jase here. It's a conjunctive condition. You need both 5 posts in this one, and 5 posts in the next one to be eligible. Not five posts combined from the two threads.

Yeah, I understand now what they were getting at, but the phrasing is definitely a tad off to me if it's not a case of 6+6.

xelios

Universal Access can be found under System Preferences

Yes, you're correct. The wording says you're only disqualified if you don't have enough posts in one of the two threads. So you could have six posts in the old thread and one post in the new thread and still be eligible to enter.

A more clear way of wording it would be, "You need six or more posts in either the current thread or the previous one to be eligible."

JaseC

Yes, you're correct. The wording says you're only disqualified if you don't have enough posts in one of the two threads. So you could have six posts in the old thread and one post in the new thread and still be eligible to enter.

A more clear way of wording it would be, "You need six or more posts in either the current thread or the previous one to be eligible."

Ah, cheers for clearing that up. :)

(I'll let this thread die now. ;))

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
Nooooo

the 3DS version is terrible.
To add to this, I bet if LOS does well (...and I'm pretty sure it will) a PC port will be coming anyway. Definitely a wait-and-see situation IMO, unless you're dying for a portable version.
I see, I see. So I'll wait, say, 2 weeks after finishing LoS. If a better version doesn't appear on Steam during that time, then I'll have no other option than getting the 3DS game anyway.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom