• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM Announcements/Updates 2013 - Summer sale start date? No one knows, don't ask

Status
Not open for further replies.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Yea I think at this point it's a safe assumption that Origin will be required to play the game at all (in whatever way they wrap it). Even though Titanfall is an EAP game, you have to remember that EA literally threw money at these guys the moment they walked out of Infinity Ward. I'm guessing there's a closer relationship than the usual hands off approach you expect from an EAP game.

That said, if Respawn were wise they would have kept the rights to digital distribution for themselves (like 38 studios did for Amalur). But if they build the game to use Origin, then the best you can hope for from a possible Steam release is that it launches Origin and then the game.

Or, maybe I'm being too pessimistic.

I'd be okay with this. As I said yesterday:

I wish EA would get over Valve's DLC policy. While I don't mind using other clients/services if I have to, if Ubi can have its Steam games boot up individualised instances of Uplay, you can do the same [with Origin], EA.

DTKT

Titanfall is using the Source Engine. While that doesn't mean anything for a business standpoint, it would be somewhat strange for the game to be only available on Origin.

Steamworks pls.

JaseC

Titanfall is using the Source Engine. While that doesn't mean anything for a business standpoint, it would be somewhat strange for the game to be only available on Origin.

Steamworks pls.

As strange as the game not being on Steam would be, it wouldn't be the first Source Engine-powered title to not appear on the service.

I'd be okay with this. As I said yesterday:

To be honest I don't see this happening. Microsoft is going to give this game a big marketing push because of it's exclusivity and EA will likely position it as the alternate-to-Battlefield-big-shooter-of-the-year. They will likely assume (as they did with BF3) that people will get over their distaste of Origin to play this game. The only hope really is if Respawn insists on a Steam release and has the rights to do so.

JaseC

Any chance that they'll add controller support for Bioshock 2?

Sure, but it's impossible to quantify.

To be honest I don't see this happening. Microsoft is going to give this game a big marketing push because of it's exclusivity and EA will likely position it as the alternate-to-Battlefield-big-shooter-of-the-year. They will likely assume (as they did with BF3) that people will get over their distaste of Origin to play this game. The only hope really is if Respawn insists on a Steam release and has the rights to do so.

It's hard to be certain either way as we're in uncharted territory, really; this is the first EAP game that EA has thrown all its weight behind.

D

Deleted member 144138

Unconfirmed Member
iXf7BdpbkKcjG.png

aww_yeah_guy.jpg

denx

So I should probably just bite and get the DLC for those GFWL games, mmh...

I've been meaning to replay Hotline Miami to get all the achievements, but never got around to it. Time to rectify that.

EDIT: Played yesterday through the Omega DLC for ME3 and missed the stupid chair for the Meticulous achievement. Now I have to play it again. FUCK.

KingKong

I wonder when Valve is going to improve the Steam community market, it's pretty crappy for buying unless you know exactly what you want

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist

Steamworks pls.
Hybrid uses the source engine and it didn't even get a PC port.

It's probably going to come down to whether Respawn struck a deal with EA for backend support on Origin or if they'd rather spin up their own solution and integrate it with Steamworks.

JaseC

Hybrid uses the source engine and it didn't even get a PC port.

It's probably going to come down to whether Respawn struck a deal with EA for backend support on Origin or if they'd rather spin up their own solution and integrate it with Steamworks.

As 3chopl0x noted on the previous page, Origin itself doesn't integrate with games as Steam does. Battlelog exists within Battlefield and Autolog within NFS; they're not auxiliary elements of the Origin client.

drizzle

Axel Hertz
EA wants a 100% slice of their digital sells, even if it matters that they will sell less games in the long term.
This market we're talking about is not their focus market - in other words, it might as well not exist.
They created a shitty storefront and purposely removed their games from the clearly superior store.
EA didn't buy Respawn members faster because there's no technology to write checks faster.
Titan Fall is a game created by the aforementioned bought Respawn Team.

This is not rocket science, you guys.

JaseC

EA wants a 100% slice of their digital sells, even if it matters that they will sell less games in the long term.
This market we're talking about is not their focus market - in other words, it might as well not exist.
They created a shitty storefront and purposely removed their games from the clearly superior store.
EA didn't buy Respawn members faster because there's no technology to write checks faster.

EA abandoning Steam to push Origin was apparent from the moment the now-infamous event transpired: EA cried foul about Valve's policies and pulled games they wouldn't even apply to. I firmly believe the rumour circulating at the time that EA demanded a larger cut, but took its ball and went home after being denied, is true.

morningbus

Serious Sam is a wicked gahbidge series for chowdaheads.

But that's the thing: EA doesn't own Respawn. That's the reason why there is doubt.

The term "Summer Sale" is bullshit it sure ain't summer where I am, it should be named "Northern Hemisphere Summer Sale". Its fucking cold where I am, fucking -10 Degrees Celsius.

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
As 3chopl0x noted on the previous page, Origin itself doesn't integrate with games as Steam does. Battlelog exists within Battlefield and Autolog within NFS; they're not auxiliary elements of the Origin client.
Right, but the official BF3 servers are owned by EA. Any EA supported server solution for Titanfall would probably have Origin as a contract requirement.

The term "Summer Sale" is bullshit it sure ain't summer where I am, it should be named "Northern Hemisphere Summer Sale". Its fucking cold where I am, fucking -10 Degrees Celsius.

doesn't matter. we're skipping it anyway this year.

Valve's HQ is in the US....sooooo all of their sales generally follow the naming convention of the place where they are at.

iboiQViIUKVSc4.gif

JaseC

Right, but the official BF3 servers are owned by EA. Any EA supported server solution for Titanfall would probably have Origin as a contract requirement.

Respawn striking a deal with EA for server support on the PC side would be incredibly strange considering the great thing about PC gaming is that literally any capable PC can be a dedicated server. EA serving up its own machines for this purpose offers no benefits whatsoever. Then again, as they say, "money talks".

Nabs

11 titles Greenlit

Software:
Actual Multiple Monitors
FL Studio
Leadwerks 3: Steam Edition

The games:
Cognition: An Erica Reed Thriller
Day One : Garry's Incident
Guncraft
Homesick
In Verbis Virtus
Super Motherload
Vector
Verdun

JaseC

Didn't Respawn say Titanfall PC is also running on the magic cloud?

Much the opposite was said. It's all bullshit, of course; "the cloud" is just a buzzword for "a collection of dedicated servers", and when you're looking at an MP game that has players connect to a particular server, you're obviously not running AI calculations across an array of hardware, but rather just the one machine. In fewer words, Respawn is just talking up the same whizzbang technology that has defined online PC gaming for almost two decades.

morningbus

Serious Sam is a wicked gahbidge series for chowdaheads.
So because you live in some godforsaken part of the world, instead of striving towards self improvement you instead wish to weigh down and suppress those who aspire and achieve greatness.

I demand your name be changed to Harrison Bergeron.

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
11 titles Greenlit

Software:
Actual Multiple Monitors
FL Studio

The games:
Guncraft
Homesick
In Verbis Virtus
Super Motherload
Vector
Verdun

How is Broforce not in there. Madness.

Guri

11 titles Greenlit

Software:
Actual Multiple Monitors
FL Studio

The games:
Guncraft
Homesick
In Verbis Virtus
Super Motherload
Vector
Verdun

Yay for Cognition! Great game!

Tomodachi

Finally Cognition! Does anyone know if POS said anything in the past about handing steam keys to backers?

EDIT: I just read their FAQ on the greenlight page and they confirmed it. Sweet!

Finally.I hope Grey Matter gets greenlit soon.

I really hope so, would be a great chance to play it again.

JaseC

Haha, I know most of the stuff is a load of crap, but just pointing out it might not be running on any EA servers, so hope remains :)

Additionally, Respawn didn't rule out a Steam release when asked (saying something along the lines of "We're not talking about distribution just yet"). I mean, it's the very definition of a non-answer, but at least it wasn't a firm denial.

Chivalry and Natural Selection 2 are %66 off this weekend.

http://store.steampowered.com/sale/ns2_chivalry_weekend

$8.49 USD each. I've been interested in both, but with all the f2p stuff I'm dabbling in (doter duos, hawken, loadout, blacklight retribution.) I never bothered since I have more multiplayer games to play than ever, and free to boot.

So, steam veterans, will they get cheaper during the steam summer sale, or is this as low as they will get?

11 titles Greenlit

Software:
Actual Multiple Monitors
FL Studio

The games:
Guncraft
Homesick
In Verbis Virtus
Super Motherload
Vector
Verdun

FL Studio? That's interesting, to say the least. Hopefully that means they're going to indulge in some Steam sales.

Grief.exe

Additionally, Respawn didn't rule out a Steam release when asked (saying something along the lines of "We're not talking about distribution just yet"). I mean, it's the very definition of a non-answer, but at least it wasn't a firm denial.

Start up those Twitter campaigns.

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
Finally Cognition! Does anyone know if POS said anything in the past about handing steam keys to backers?

EDIT: I just read their FAQ on the greenlight page and they confirmed it. Sweet!

I really hope so, would be a great chance to play it again.
I wouldn't say that game is a PoS, I haven't tried it yet. If it is, I'll skip it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom