• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM Announcements & Updates 2013 V - Message Modbot for Good Time 1-800-555-READOP

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tizoc

It's been a long ass time since Space Quest Collection was under $10 right?

Also, what're the chances of Deadpool being sold for $15 in any upcoming seasonsal seal?

Logged into my college page the day before classes start only to see all my enrolled classes are now listed as dropped. I didn't withdrawal, stop screwing me over ;-;

To keep it game related: Hope the Castlevania pre-load goes up today.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Logged into my college page the day before classes start only to see all my enrolled classes are now listed as dropped. I didn't withdrawal, stop screwing me over ;-;

The one good thing about non-Steam DRM is that if the ISO leaks before the release date, you can download it as a sort of de facto pre-load. I did this with AssCreed 3... or maybe it was Revelations. Some of the stuff won't verify correctly (the most obvious example being the lack of included redists), but the bulk of the data -- textures, sounds, etc. -- will be skipped.

...provided Acti doesn't abandon the license. :(

Deques

It's been a long ass time since Space Quest Collection was under $10 right?

Also, what're the chances of Deadpool being sold for $15 in any upcoming seasonsal seal?

Wow, the game costs 49€ in Europe, while in USA it costs $39. Huge difference in the price >.<

It's probably unlikely it will cost less than $15 in the next Winter sale

...provided Acti doesn't abandon the license. :(

True, true.

Wow, the game costs 49&#8364; in Europe, while in USA it costs $39. Huge difference in the price >.<

$30 base price for Australians for some still unexplained reason. So I'd say somebody would be able to help if it hits 50 or 66%. Could be likely given I already forgot it existed.

JaseC

Wow, the game costs 49&#8364; in Europe, while in USA it costs $39. Huge difference in the price >.<

It's $30 on Steam AU. Acti forgot a 0.

Edit: I had no idea the Space Quest games were on Steam.

Autofokus

Completed The Swapper and didn't get one achievement. Hitting 'continue' just jumps directly to the ending credits, so I even can't watch the alternate ending. What a bummer.

Good game though.

JBourne

maybe tomorrow it rains

Did you pay already? At the school I'm at, the drop you enrolled classes if you don't pay for them by the end of the week. Friday at 5, exactly.

Completed The Swapper and didn't get one achievement. Hitting 'continue' just jumps directly to the ending credits, so I even can't watch the alternate ending. What a bummer.

Good game though.
Been waiting on a discount so I can get a copy myself and for a friend. Hope it goes on sale again or ends up in a bundle in the next month.

JaseC

Why are so many good games buried? I want my Heretic 2 on steam, Acti >:|

Even if Acti doesn't want to do any work, since the company owns the IP and Raven itself, the game could just be handballed to CDPR in exchange for six months of GOG exclusivity. I'd rather that than no Steam release at all, which is where we're at now.

Origin isn't as bad as it is fucking useless.

I prefer to call it "EA's digital delivery system" or EADDS. Not only does it abbreviate quite comically, but:

origin_2012_06_30_2026ys6f.gif

Still hurts.

Even if Acti doesn't want to do any work, since the company owns the IP and Raven itself, the game could just be handballed to CDPR in exchange for six months of GOG exclusivity. I'd rather that than no Steam release at all, which is where we're at now.

Would totally be alright with that. There's also NOLF, Lucasarts games, Neverhood, AvP2...sigh

Also, do you think there's a chance of pre-RE5 games getting on steam? Particurarly interested in 4, since almost everyone's saying it's GOTG contender of last gen.

JaseC

Would totally be alright with that. There's also NOLF, Lucasarts games, Neverhood, AvP2...sigh

Also, do you think there's a chance of pre-RE5 games getting on steam? Particurarly interested in 4, since almost everyone's saying it's GOTG contender of last gen.

The PC port of RE4 is among the worst in contemporary history. Capcom porting the HD remaster to the PC is the only chance the game has of a Steam release.

Did you pay already? At the school I'm at, the drop you enrolled classes if you don't pay for them by the end of the week. Friday at 5, exactly.

I hadn't but August 30th was listed as the last day to pay. And all five classes are still listed as "open" It's really weird. Going to call them when they open in an hour and a half and just hope there's not an issue aside from a unfortunate glitch. I mean I have a 3.25 so it's not the grades.

Origin was fine the few times I used it.

One thing they do a great deal better than Steam is support. When I bough DA:O from Amazon.com the game activated as a EU version without English language support (that's annoying about Origin, games always activate as the version corresponding to your account region or IP no matter where you get the key from), contacted support through the built in chat and they fixed it immediately, no questions asked. Download speeds are fine (even though the client is lying to you and adds 10-20%) and I never had a problem playing games.

I see no reason to hate it and so far no one has really elaborated on why it is "shitty" or what kind of terrible experiences they had with the client. I'd rather it didn't exist and EA would release their games as Steamworks, but until they do, Origin is fine.

Ledsen

The PC port of RE4 is among the worst in contemporary history. Capcom porting the HD remaster to the PC is the only chance the game has of a Steam release.

Yeah no kidding. They actually ported the PS2 game instead of the GC one and even with mods you can't fix the horribly downgraded lighting. I tried to fix my copy but after spending a day modding it, it still looked like crap.

JaseC

I see no reason to hate it and so far no one has really elaborated on why it is "shitty" or what kind of terrible experiences they had with the client. I'd rather it didn't exist and EA would release their games as Steamworks, but until they do, Origin is fine.

The only issue I've encountered with the client is instability, which itself is only a recent occurrence. I bought the ME DLC and am having trouble downloading it because every five minutes or so the client chucks a fit.

A proper HD port of RE4 would instantly make it the best game released on Steam. Once again, Capcom sitting on a potential goldmine that they (seemingly) don't care about.
The only issue I've encountered with the client is instability, which itself is only a recent occurrence. I bought the ME DLC and am having trouble downloading it because every five minutes or so the client chucks a fit.
That's probably related to the Humble Bundle, or does it seem to be a problem of the client? It seems like they didn't really anticipate that it would be THIS popular and their download and activation infrastructure just couldn't handle it. I guess it'll work fine again in a few weeks when most people played through the games and will never open Origin again.

RE4 port is abysmal and Capcom said they won't put it on Steam because of that. If you have the heart of an explorer you can try to buy the game on internet and browse through the RE modding forums for mods but the few mods I tried to download either didn't work (60 fps unlocker) or had dead links (community mod which is supposed to regroup the mandatory graphical enhancements for the game to not look like ass).

Your best bet is still to look for the GC/Wii version or get the HD version on PS3/360. I heard the Wii and GC versions are the best but I don't know how that would work with today's monitors, I played the game on PS2 which is supposed to be the worst version and it's still one of the best TPS I ever played so that says a lot about the quality of the game.

As for RE1-3, Capcom may not want to release that because of compatibility issues (RE1 is hard to run on a modern rig but I didn't have any major problem with RE2 and 3).

Gbraga

SteamGAF, Gone Home is incredible. It's hard to justify the price point, but in my opinion it was well worth it. I think word of mouth will make this game sell a lot during sales, since the price barrier is what's keeping most people away from it.

Such a lovely game. It looks surprisingly good too, they really did a great work with the details.

If you like story driven games, this one is top notch.

FloatOn

I fully expect Titanfall to be the new Brink. Lots of good ideas but a mess and undoubtedly washed over by the Battlefield/COD crowd.

JaseC

That's probably related to the Humble Bundle, or does it seem to be a problem of the client? It seems like they didn't really anticipate that it would be THIS popular and their download and activation infrastructure just couldn't handle it. I guess it'll work fine again in a few weeks when most people played through the games and will never open Origin again.

It's definitely a client issue. It crashes even when I'm not downloading anything.

derExperte

What have they done with Origin in the last year? Which of these features have they continued to flesh out and polish?

It now has support for achievements. Yeah.

As I said, I don't mind the client too much but why the hell are there games made directly by EA that don't even use it for stuff like updating? Looking at the Sim City launcher right now that's downloading an update. Why EA, why?

Gbraga

I fully expect Titanfall to be the new Brink. Lots of good ideas but a mess and undoubtedly washed over by the Battlefield/COD crowd.

I hope not, I'm considering a day one purchase because I really like the team and the theme is a breeze of fresh air in this generation of military realistic shooters that don't let you do shit when it comes to movement.

Disappointing to hear the info regarding RE. Shame on Capcom. Btw since I don't own concoles, PC would be the only option.

Titanfall is probably going to go up against Destiny anyway.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
It now has support for achievements. Yeah.

As I said, I don't mind the client too much but why the hell are there games made directly by EA that don't even use it for stuff like updating? Looking at the Sim City launcher right now that's downloading an update. Why EA, why?

They added achievements for 3 games that already had achievement hooks present (achievements that could be view in-game already). Where are the achievements for Medal of Honor Warfighter? Or Need for Speed: Most Wanted? Or Sim City?

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
Is Steam really "doing fine"? The client could use an overhaul and the more and more frequent server issues with borked community/inventory/newsfeed Valve is having are getting on my nerves.

Origin has fewer features but for what it does it's fine these days, the bigger problem is that I don't want to give EA money, so I use it as little as possible for buying games. No Day 1 Titanfall for me but not because of Origin itself.
In my case yes. I only use the client to launch my games, and the website for everything else (I know, the client browses the site too, but you know what I mean), and I haven't had any problems so far.

I also haven't had any inventory problems, though I can see how it would bother people who did. Don't really care about giving my money to EA, but I don't want to support Origin.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Origin was fine the few times I used it.

One thing they do a great deal better than Steam is support. When I bough DA:O from Amazon.com the game activated as a EU version without English language support (that's annoying about Origin, games always activate as the version corresponding to your account region or IP no matter where you get the key from), contacted support through the built in chat and they fixed it immediately, no questions asked. Download speeds are fine (even though the client is lying to you and adds 10-20%) and I never had a problem playing games.

Some issues I had:
- No two-factor authentication of any kind.
- It's not possible to edit your account information without a security question (security questions lower security, they do not raise them).
- Passwords are inexplicably limited to 16 characters, which is simply not sufficient.
- This is also relevant because god only knows if they use industry-standard hashing and salting on passwords or encryption on other personal information, given that Battlefield Heroes didn't and surprise surprise got hacked.

- No screenshot support
- Store shows non-PC games when searched from web (thankfully not from client)
- Store deals page doesn't actually show deals by default because advertising
- BioWare sells their DLC separately because left hand and right hand are arm wrestling
- Mandatory spam (oh wow, I quit Dead Space 3, thanks for the popup reminding me I can buy stuff for Dead Space 3) that can't be turned off
- Newly redeemed games don't show up in your library unless you refresh manually
- No custom install locations without abusing ntfs junctions
- The one time I ever tried to activate a game, their activation server was down for a day because it's also the one day in history that anyone ever actually tried to use Origin.

Note that I own one game on Origin and I didn't buy it on Origin (like I'd give EA my payment information!), so my experience with it has been pretty slim so far. I'm sure if I actually used it or wanted to do anything with it, I'd find tons more. Also these are limited to problems with Origin that do not exist with Steam--if I included stuff that Steam sucks at, there'd be way more.

But the most important thing is that it's not necessary. It doesn't bring anything to the table. It's another client. I don't want Capsule. I don't want Origin. I don't want another client. I don't believe Origin liberates me to have a closer relationship with EA. I don't believe running their own service has resulted in more game patches, more new content, or better games. I don't believe that sales devalue IPs and neither does EA except when they do. That it's a client that doesn't actually do anything makes it less valuable than a client that does.

JaseC

Good day, SteamGAF! :)

So good.

And I rarely like openworld sandbox games.

I could no longer resist. :(

sr4t5s6f.jpg

Funnily enough, the bloke I bought the game from said he recognised me from lurking on GAF. Hello! *waves*

Also, it seems Spotflux no longer works with Steam. FlyVPN still does, though, which is what I used to activate the keys.

Cart Life still hasn't been fixed apparently :|

Shame because the premise is awesome, but it's utterly unplayable - surprised Steam haven't stepped in actually.

I could no longer resist. :(

http://abload.de/img/sr4t5s6f.jpg[IMG]

Funnily enough, the bloke I bought the game from said he recognised me from lurking on GAF. Hello! *waves*

Also, it seems Spotflux no longer works with Steam. FlyVPN still does, though, which is what I used to activate the keys.[/QUOTE]

That is strange. I used Spotflux this week to unlock Saints Row early so it at least worked earlier in the week.

JaseC

That is strange. I used Spotflux this week to unlock Saints Row early so it at least worked earlier in the week.

Ah, it could be an issue at my end, then, although I hadn't been fiddling with any network-related settings or installing other VPN services.

Acccent

- Mandatory spam (oh wow, I quit Dead Space 3, thanks for the popup reminding me I can buy stuff for Dead Space 3) that can't be turned off

Is there a way to turn this off in Steam?

Also, unrelated to Origin but related to another piece of crappy game launcher: I currently have to play Dark Souls on several PCs (one at home and 2 at work) and every single time I play on one of those GFWL asks for my login info and the game's key, then downloads my profile which takes ages and serves no apparent purpose. It is so fucking annoying not to be able to log into Steam (or any other client, I wouldn't mind) and just play, I'm so glad this thing is dying.

FloatOn

I hope not, I'm considering a day one purchase because I really like the team and the theme is a breeze of fresh air in this generation of military realistic shooters that don't let you do shit when it comes to movement.

I felt the same way about Brink and then it came out :(

Volcynika

Stump you forgot to mention that community features are next to non-existent in Origin.

Cuz god forbid you have friends.

I remember adding my friend in Origin and assumed they would be on my list of people when we tried out Syndicate. Nope, had to add him again in Syndicate because it didn't integrate Origin friends into that. Such a fun thing to have.

Gbraga

Started playing Amnesia yesterday for the first time (for some reason I preordered the second game so I thought I should at least try the first one before the sequel comes out), and I'm surprised by how good it is. I mean, I expected it to be very scary, but I guess I wasn't actually expecting a good game, that's why it took me so long to play it, but it's very fun.

I'm glad A Machine for Pigs will have controller support, unless the gameplay is tight enough for me to feel like I'm missing on a lot with a controller, I'd rather play on my TV.

I felt the same way about Brink and then it came out :(

Damn, I guess I'll wait for GAF's impressions then :(

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom