• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM Announcements & Updates 2013 V - Message Modbot for Good Time 1-800-555-READOP

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gbraga

What I hate about Origin and Uplay is the manual setup, why can't I just download my games and play them? :(

Blacklist took a really damn long time to install.

Some issues I had:
- No two-factor authentication of any kind.
- It's not possible to edit your account information without a security question (security questions lower security, they do not raise them).
- Passwords are inexplicably limited to 16 characters, which is simply not sufficient.
- This is also relevant because god only knows if they use industry-standard hashing and salting on passwords or encryption on other personal information, given that Battlefield Heroes didn't and surprise surprise got hacked.
Nice to read this, although I'm a bit rusty on the security stuff.

The only real annoyance I have with origin is that sometimes it simply does not start. I get a "failed to update" message and it quits, although it is already updated.

Their support is not bad although their technical support phone lines have really long queues. I remember buying a retail copy of The Saboteur really cheap, and the key didn't work. The guy from the chat troubleshoot couldn't help me, he escalated my trouble ticket and gave me an US phone number to dial. Luckily it was a free number so I could endure the 1h long waiting time in the queue. As soon as they picked up my line, the problem was solved in a few minutes.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Uplay annoys me more, I can't remember why.

My experience with Uplay has been fine outside of the server outages and rather slow download speeds. But again, like Origin, it's a solution looking for a problem -- there's no need for either to exist. I'd rather EA and Ubi games were sold on Steam with Steamworks support, with a third-party key provided (as is the case with current Uplay games on Steam), and the matter of activating them on Origin/Uplay was left up the user.

Copons

I've installed Uplay just for From Dust and apart from the fact that achievs are only one Uplay and not on Steam (IIRC), it was totally fine.
I mean, it is useless as hell, and it annoys me, and try to solve a non existent problem and everything else, but it just launches when I launch the game from Steam and sits there without doing anything noticeable.

HoosTrax

Uplay annoys me more, I can't remember why.
One of these, I don't remember if it was YuPlay (used by Gaijin Entertainment) or uPlay, has the obnoxious quality of circumventing Steam's game updater in favor if its own. Really annoying to install a game via Steam, then find out you have a multi-GB patch to download from the game's own updater. Puppygames is a bad offender here as well, with every single one of its games, just to a less extreme extent.

- My ISP is not particularly fast
- 50MB is a multi-minute download, 1GB is a multi-hour download
- I leave my Steam client running while I'm work so it can download these updates -- when you bypass that process, it's really irritating

Acccent

All that talk about clients being solutions to non-existent problems fails to take into account that there is indeed a problem to solve, it's just not on the customer's side. Publishers are trying to find a way to sell their games without paying a percentage to a competitor. It's a fair pursuit, imo, and if they can manage to do it without being too annoying or intrusive (which neither Origin nor uPlay really have managed to do yet) then I'd say it's fine for them to have their own clients.

The ideal solution would be a popular, functional publisher-agnostic platform...

HoosTrax

All that talk about clients being solutions to non-existent problems fails to take into account that there is indeed a problem to solve, it's just not on the customer's side. Publishers are trying to find a way to sell their games without paying a percentage to a competitor. It's a fair pursuit, imo, and if they can manage to do it without being too annoying or intrusive (which neither Origin nor uPlay really have managed to do yet) then I'd say it's fine for them to have their own clients.

The ideal solution would be a popular, functional publisher-agnostic platform...
My consumer side says, if you don't give me the option of buying it on Steam, you get $0.00 from me. Your call - 70% or 0%.

Not giving me the ability to use Steam for everything for convenience's sake is annoying and intrusive.

JaseC

All that talk about clients being solutions to non-existent problems fails to take into account that there is indeed a problem to solve, it's just not on the customer's side.

It's not that I'm not taking it into account; it's that I don't care. EA and Ubi are both guilty of forgoing Steam releases to rack up PC-side exclusives for their respective clients, both of which launched several years after Steam itself and offer no tangible benefits, so they'll just have to excuse my lack of sympathy.

This seems like a pie-in-the-sky desire, though, especially now that Steam is approaching its 10th birthday. Even Amazon, which runs a DD store, is getting into the game development... game.

Copons

But then there would be anyway the need of someone to maintain such platform.
Like servers, bandwidth and stuff like these, just for start.

I don't know anything about cost analysis behind proprietary content delivery platforms, but maybe (and I repeat: maybe) on the short to medium term, it would still be less expensive to just go with Steam.
And while on the long term could be more effective to have a proprietary solution, one should also take into account that it may just fail under competition, and that would mean that all research, development and maintenance would be wasted.

Arthea

you guys don't give nearly enough credit to gog!

Also I was wandering how many of us really need community aspects of gaming services?

FloatOn

Brink/Titanfall comparison is mainly from this:

- Multiplayer title only
- Parkour
- Unique setting

time will tell how it actually turns out.

HoosTrax

you guys don't give nearly enough credit to gog!

Also I was wandering how many of us really need community aspects of gaming services?
Well I'm not a luddite. I've been gaming since...early 90s? Yet I'm perfectly happy to have all of the new bells and whistles that come along with modern gaming.

So that includes not having to manually patch things, having cloud saves so I don't have to worry about backing up save files before I reformat, seeing what other people are playing. And achievements more than anything.

Cth

Reminds me of Hulk: Ultimate Destruction. Fantastic game.

Hrm, wish I hadn't read that. H:UD was one of the unsung gems that should have received more praise.

I was planning on renting it for the console. I don't need another game to buy :D

The biggest issue with Origin is EA can't be trusted to maintain a DD service long term. They are notorious for abandoning services and games whenever they change focus. I enjoy the Battlefield games, and I will be buying BF4 but it's with the expectation that it will be a game I will not be able to play someday in the future when some EA service that the game relies on, is shutdown.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
Isn't the 2 the one that's considered one of the worst PC ports of all time? If that ranking is based on the console versions, that's another story.

2 is also a massive open world turd. 3 destroys it and is a million times more fun to play co-op in compared to 2 where they tend to screw the second player.

Acccent

My consumer side says, if you don't give me the option of buying it on Steam, you get $0.00 from me. Your call - 70% or 0%.

Not giving me the ability to use Steam for everything for convenience's sake is annoying and intrusive.
It's not that I'm not taking it into account; it's that I don't care. EA and Ubi are both guilty of forgoing Steam releases to rack up PC-side exclusives for their respective clients, both of which launched several years after Steam itself and offer no tangible benefits, so they'll just have to excuse my lack of sympathy.
Yeah, I agree, their 'solutions' so far have been lackluster and just plain annoying. But my point was that they're not doing this just to spite customers, even if that's all they've managed to to do up until now. Maybe at some point in the future one of them will come up with a way to let us buy/launch games in a way that's not annoying and doesn't involve giving money to Valve.
(Again, I don't mind giving my money to Valve)

This seems like a pie-in-the-sky desire, though, especially now that Steam is approaching its 10th birthday. Even Amazon, which runs a DD store, is getting into the game development... game.
But then there would be anyway the need of someone to maintain such platform.
Like servers, bandwidth and stuff like these, just for start.

I don't know anything about cost analysis behind proprietary content delivery platforms, but maybe (and I repeat: maybe) on the short to medium term, it would still be less expensive to just go with Steam.
And while on the long term could be more effective to have a proprietary solution, one should also take into account that it may just fail under competition, and that would mean that all research, development and maintenance would be wasted.
Yeah, it's totally wishful thinking. There is money to make though, clearly - if GAME or GameStop or another pure retailer had reacted earlier, they could have had a chance. Amazon has enough power to make a splash, if big publishers like EA and Ubi are more willing to sell games through their software rather than through Steam. But then again Valve are pretty awesome and what has allowed them to dominate so thoroughly is, paradoxically maybe, their apparent desire to not be abusive money-grabbing assholes, which isn't something I'd expect from many companies...

Nymphae

Banned
How is Saint's Row IV? I liked 3, but not a lot.

Everyone is going crazy for that game, but I can't bring myself to pay that price for what looks like a mod. I loved 3 and I know I would have fun with this, but I was expecting a little more I guess for what they're asking.

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
And Steam was a stinking pile of shit aswell. Give it time, EA have done alot of the last year.

Origin isn't new. It's been around for years as EA Download Manager. They've had plenty of time.

HoosTrax

Yeah, I agree, their 'solutions' so far have been lackluster and just plain annoying. But my point was that they're not doing this just to spite customers, even if that's all they've managed to to do up until now. Maybe at some point in the future one of them will come up with a way to let us buy/launch games in a way that's not annoying and doesn't involve giving money to Valve.
(Again, I don't mind giving my money to Valve)
If EA or Ubisoft want to sell Steam keys for their game, Humble Store-style, where they keep all of the money, that's fine with me. I have no "stock" in Valve Corporation, so it's not really my concern what their cut is, I just care that I get what I want. Humble Store and Amazon seem to have some sort of mysterious business arrangement that bypasses giving Valve a cut on Steam keys.

Hmm- anybody got an idea what the new 258meg Dishonored update is? I've had to change my download region to the UK as it was really slow (plus the kids are home from school soon and I want to play the damn thing).

If EA or Ubisoft want to sell Steam keys for their game, Humble Store-style, where they keep all of the money, that's fine with me. I have no "stock" in Valve Corporation, so it's not really my concern what their cut is, I just care that I get what I want. Humble Store and Amazon seem to have some sort of mysterious business arrangement that bypasses giving Valve a cut on Steam keys.

I think Amazon acquire the keys directly from the publishers/developers.

Or they buy from tf2outpost :D

JaseC

This is something Ubi, at the very least, should be exploring. The 2 for $10 deal currently underway at GetGames would be vastly more popular if Ubi had bothered to get from Valve Steam keys for the other games.

liezryou

Steam doesn't get a cut from keys AFAIK, if a game uses steamworks, the publisher can generate as many steam keys as he wants for no fee from steam (I read that somewhere, someone correct me if i am wrong). I thought it was one of the upsides of using steamworks.

JaseC

Steam doesn't get a cut from keys AFAIK, if a game uses steamworks, the publisher can generate as many steam keys as he wants for no fee from steam (I read that somewhere, someone correct me if i am wrong). I thought it was one of the upsides of using steamworks.

It's mentioned on the Steamworks landing page:

It’s free: There’s no charge for bandwidth, updating, or activation of copies at retail or from third-party digital distributors.

Edit: I should also note that key generation isn't limited to just Steamworks games -- this is how Amazon is able to sell Steam keys for AssCreed 3 and Far Cry 3, for example. (I wonder how hard Tony had to fight to have Ubi cough them up.)

HoosTrax

I think Amazon acquire the keys directly from the publishers/developers.

Or they buy from tf2outpost :D
Well in any case, if the argument were as simple as "we want 100% of the money, they want Steam keys", the solution to both would be seem to be obvious, and the only stipulation would be that they would not be sold/featured on the Steam storefront as a consequence of wanting to keep all of the profits. So they actually want more than that -- they want a share of the overall DD market, not just for their own games.

As far as anyone knows, Valve only takes a cut of Steam keys sold directly from steampowered.com, right.

Sentenza

You are not wrong, but I think that's exactly what he was saying as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom