• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM Announcements & Updates 2013 V - Message Modbot for Good Time 1-800-555-READOP

Status
Not open for further replies.

StayDead

Well deleting my clientregistry.blob worked. Hopefully it's fixed for everyone else soon too.

I left it connecting for a good 15 minutes before and nothing happened, connected after about a minute of deleting the .blob file.

Aaron

The Be Mine 9 bundle only sold 18k and the current capsule computer bundle is sitting at 6.5k sold. I'd be really surprised if Be Mine 9 sold 35k. I'm just speculating of course as I don't recall the numbers but groupees bundles don't tend to be that high.
8 you mean, and I remember it being a pretty big seller. It unlocked all of the bonuses, and they didn't rejig the numbers like they did for 9. There was a ton of good stuff in that bundle. Even if I never get this parawhatis it was easily worth $5.

Vindicis

Banned
8 you mean, and I remember it being a pretty big seller. It unlocked all of the bonuses, and they didn't rejig the numbers like they did for 9. There was a ton of good stuff in that bundle. Even if I never get this parawhatis it was easily worth $5.

Yes, I did mean 8 but it looks like I was quite wrong as posted above by another poster.

Until Steam did the whole "just greenlight everything" deal a week or two ago.

Certainly a tough call to make now. Go for the publicity and kill your sales, or try to hold onto them meaning nobody will ever hear about it. Your classic catch 44 situation.

Thats what everyone is doing. They use the bundles as some form of promotion by selling it there.
If they wanna get enough votes and then wont give out keys, that would be a pretty shitty move, as you saw with what happened to NyuMedia.
Its like "Hey. Vote for it on Steam Greenlight. We put this Game in a bundle so you can also vote for it. But we wont give you keys!"

honorless

We don't have "get out of jail free" cards, but if we did, she'd have one.
Thats what everyone is doing. They use the bundles as some form of promotion by selling it there.
If they wanna get enough votes and then wont give out keys, that would be a pretty shitty move, as you saw with what happened to NyuMedia.
Its like "Hey. Vote for it on Steam Greenlight. We put this Game in a bundle so you can also vote for it. But we wont give you keys!"
This isn't a truism. Consider the dev of Apple Jack 1 & 2, which is currently in the Indie Royale:
The PC release is now on Steam Greenlight, so please vote for it:

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=170273921

Frankly, I've put it up more as a cheap way to advertise the game ahead of its release than in any expectation of it getting greenlit, but I certainly wouldn't complain if it did make it on to Steam proper.

I'd expect that the main point of getting your game into a bundle is—weirdly enough—to sell more copies of said game. Garnering Greenlight votes is a bonus, but banking on bundles to boost your standing sounds like a a bad bet.

I'm too lazy to do any research myself, but I'm curious what the statistics are. Prior to August 28th (100 games in a single day is a huge outlier) what percentage of Greenlight games were actually given the go-ahead after being in a bundle?

I imagine it's pretty low.

Joe Molotov

This isn't a truism. Consider
I'd expect that the main point of getting your game into a bundle is—weirdly enough—to sell more copies of said game. Garnering Greenlight votes is a bonus, but banking on bundles to boost your standing sounds like a a bad bet.

He's still using it to promote the game though, whether it gets on Steam or not.

Jawmuncher

Adding the .exe after Grief sounds like you're referring to him using both his first and last names

Lol it's just a habit.

You get your copy (Steam key + direct download when it's available) and you get a Humble Gift url to give away/sell/trade

Ahhh ok. That makes sense.

Yep. I gave the game to Toma via the Humble link and he was able to add the game on Steam instantly.

Ok glad that's cleared up.

When is this Amazon bundle going live!?

Believe it was thursday

I'm too lazy to do any research myself, but I'm curious what the statistics are. Prior to August 28th (100 games in a single day is a huge outlier) what percentage of Greenlight games were actually given the go-ahead after being in a bundle?

I imagine it's pretty low.

I would imagine very low. Anecdotally I was browsing through all my old bundles tonight looking for desura > steam type keys I might have missed. I didn't find any. Related to that, I found this post by See Through Studios (Australian Indie team for the recently bundled Particulars) interesting:

http://www.seethroughstudios.com/2013/08/yay-but-hmm-the-ramifications-of-the-100-game-greenlight/

If Steam is moving towards a generally much faster throughput (as they say they are), then games with a lot less of an established following will begin to get through. And thus the cache of “getting onto Steam” will begin to lessen. All of the marketing and community building that people are doing pre-Steam will still need to be done – but it will more-and-more will shift towards a post-Greenlight battle to be noticed. It will become the case that getting on Steam will be the minimum hurdle that a PC indie game needs to clear to be successful, rather than the significant milestone that it is now.

Grief.exe

I may be naïve here but I always like Total Biscuit as I always felt he was honest to a fault....

But this constant spamming of Hearthstone videos makes me put on my tin foil hat....

The game is not even released yet, Beta keys sell for $400 circa, so why does he constantly put out Hearthstone videos?

He loves card games.
Blizzard doesn't make any money off the sale of beta keys.

There can be no wrongdoing here.

You get your copy (Steam key + direct download when it's available) and you get a Humble Gift url to give away/sell/trade

R3n4ud was able to give the humble key away and that key both activated on Steam, and was able to access the beta.

I just made people aware of Klei's fine print and the VG247 article, apparently reality differs from those accounts.

Adding the .exe after Grief sounds like you're referring to him using both his first and last names

We keep it formal around here.

BibiMaghoo

Ninja quick fire Steam question:

My HDD (laptop) is almost full. Any way to install steam games to an external HDD? Or am I fucked and need to replace the internal I have?

SteveWD40

TB used to only do Blizzard stuff, WoW Cata Beta is what made his channel, that and some SC2. Can't begrudge him indulging in a genre he likes, from a company he has a long track record with which happens to get a lot of hits because most people can't play it yet...much like the Cata beta footage that made his channel capable of supporting him full time.

n8

Unconfirmed Member
It's a good thing I got to sell some MacGuffin's Curse cards before the Groupee bundle went up.

V45GY5D.png

This normal card is like the weirdest anomaly on the market, made 2 bucks.

derExperte

It's a good thing I got to sell some MacGuffin's Curse cards before the Groupee bundle went up.

Woah, I know what I'm doing starting right now, totally missed that the prices even for normal cards are relatively high.

Ledsen

damn it, I gave that game away when it was in a bundle months ago.

honorless

We don't have "get out of jail free" cards, but if we did, she'd have one.
He's still using it to promote the game though, whether it gets on Steam or not.
Chairmanchuck's post implied bundles for games with Greenlight pages were mainly done as promotion with the goal of to improve the game's standing on Greenlight and eventually get on Steam...rather than just promoting the game to sell more copies, Greenlight or no Greenlight.

If I misinterpreted, whoops. Sorry.

(Also, this post is mad late because my boss walked in. Also whoops.)

derExperte

damn it, I gave that game away when it was in a bundle months ago.

I recommend playing the game btw, after a while it starts to repeat itself and in the end I skipped every room to get to the end but long before that all the cards should have dropped.

My Incognita impressions:
http://indiegameenthusiast.blogspot.com/2013/09/pc-spotlight-11-incognita.html
Described as turn-based tactical espionage, Incognita is a slick polished experience even at this early stage. Rather than protecting the world from an alien invasion or taking out terrorists, your objective is to steal secrets; fans of cyberpunk and sci-fi noir will be right at home in this world of high-tech corporate espionage. Your team of agents must infiltrate each procedurally-generated level, gather information, and escape.

So just to be absolutely sure, you get two separate keys that will continue working until after the game becomes the full game?
You know when you buy a game on the Humble store? You get your HB url link and you can get the Steam key and DRM-free version from the link?

Well when you order Incognita, you get your Steam key and direct download when it's available AND a second HB gift url that you can give to someone else. So essentially you're getting two HB orders for the price of one

Okay guys, let's get the X bundle hype train rolling again.
It could happen in less than 4 hours!

(Why do I do this to myself?)

It's baaaaaaaaaad. Well, boring.

Humble weekly switches tomorrow, and the X bundle sure as hell won't be a "main" Humble bundle, if it ever happens.

Comedy ends today and it's not sure that they will directly follow with another one (I hope they do though, it's time for HIB 9)

Turfster

Well when you order Incognita, you get your Steam key and direct download when it's available AND a second HB gift url that you can give to someone else. So essentially you're getting two HB orders for the price of one

Thanks.

Humble weekly switches tomorrow, and the X bundle sure as hell won't be a "main" Humble bundle, if it ever happens.

Comedy ends today and it's not sure that they will directly follow with another one (I hope they do though, it's time for HIB 9)

I.. It could be! The humble space bundle! or something.

oipic

Okay guys, let's get the X bundle hype train rolling again.
It could happen in less than 4 hours!

(Why do I do this to myself?)

A wave of hope washes over me a few times a week when I consider that maybe, just maybe, this X thing will come to fruition...then those waves crash violently against the rocky shore of disappointment.

(...and I reckon it'll be more likely to be a weekly sale, rather than a Humble Bundle as such, so ~28 hours away in that case)

Prove me wrong, gaming gods.

Edit: ...and resoundingly beaten on all fronts - that's my cue for bed-time.

Wish it was RO2 that I dont have, but lucky for you, here goes.
ModBot said:
I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line below containing the key.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible
- This giveaway has a manual blocklist. The giver has identified members who abuse giveaways and restricted them from participating.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two:

header_292x136.jpg

Red Orchestra: Ostfront 41-45 -- MB-122A70CE78E9B592 - Taken by The Super Bob

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom