• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM announcements & updates 2013 - Year of the SteamBox

Status
Not open for further replies.

Caerith

It's repetitive, slow moving and the dialog is not interesting at all
So it's like a blind date.

QC is puzzle game with garbage puzzles and nothing to save it. When you have issues that fundamental you are a bad game.
How are they garbage? One solution fits all, or existing in a binary state of either requiring a guide or being numbingly easy?

'Cause I mean even the Layton games have garbage puzzles, but they're usually puzzles about garbage.

jediyoshi

QC is fine if you're already in the mood for first person puzzle solvin. I'll take it over QUBE or that one weird european game with the grav gun.

Decado

Anyone know a) where I can buy X-Men Origins Wolverine via digital download and b) if the PC port is any good?

thanks

morningbus

Serious Sam is a wicked gahbidge series for chowdaheads.
QC is fine if you're already in the mood for first person puzzle solvin. I'll take it over QUBE or that one weird european game with the grav gun.

Now that's crazy talk. QUBE succeeds where Quantum Conundrum fails because the people making it knew their limitations. They couldn't afford/properly do a voice over/narrative?: it isn't there. They felt they explored the game's mechanics to their fullest: they finish the game instead of boring you with levels upon levels of the same puzzles.

Quantum Conundrum fails, not because we're comparing it to Portal, but because it attempts to be Portal and never, ever reaches it.

It's like if McDonalds started selling steaks, but really they were just bunless BigMacs with steak sauce slathered on top of it. Sure, it's not that bad. Sure, it is still food. But it isn't a steak and you sure as hell wouldn't suggest someone eat it in place of the real unadulterated thing.

Kipp

but I am taking tiny steps forward
Please you can explain more about the game? ...my principal fear is the premature dead of the online comunity

I think watching a gameplay video on Youtube would probably do a much better job of explaining the game than I can, but if you have any specific questions I'd be happy to answer them.
But yeah, being a multiplayer only game, I also am a bit worried the online community will die out if it doesn't catch on. However, two things stop me from really worrying about that. First, the MSRP is only $10, so worst case scenario, you get a month's worth of fun out of it and then it dies. That's still pretty good value if you ask me. Second, even right now in closed beta with a very small community, you'll always find at least one person to play with. Even 1v1 is a pretty fun experience in that game.

Wok

Portal 2 > Portal >>> Antichamber > qube >> QC >>> TS

Fixed that for you.

It's like if McDonalds started selling steaks, but really they were just bunless BigMacs with steak sauce slathered on top of it. Sure, it's not that bad. Sure, it is still food. But it isn't a steak and you sure as hell wouldn't suggest someone eat it in place of the real unadulterated thing.

The master of analogy strikes again. Good point though.

Decado

It's only retail as far as I know. The port is great btw.

Fuck! Hate having to find retail copies of PC games. I like what I played on the PS3. Was kinda hoping for a sequel as it had some great ideas.

I'll see if I can hunt it down for a reasonable price.

Thanks

jediyoshi

Now that's crazy talk. QUBE succeeds where Quantum Conundrum fails because the people making it knew their limitations. They couldn't afford/properly do a voice over/narrative?: it isn't there. They felt they explored the game's mechanics to their fullest: they finish the game instead of boring you with levels upon levels of the same puzzles.

Quantum Conundrum fails, not because we're comparing it to Portal, but because it attempts to be Portal and never, ever reaches it.

I don't really care for narrative in puzzle games so it never bothered me either way. I wouldn't mark it against the game unless it took away from playing it, but it doesn't actually affect it either so it's easy enough to ignore what I'm not paying attention to.

Just don't agree with the rest, QC has a more varied amount of mechanics to work with and they throw in just enough mechanic specific puzzles to teach the player what's going on before they transition it with the rest of your abilities. They're varying the puzzles up so that you're still doing new combinations of things towards the last levels.

It's preference at this point but I prefer a game like QC or antichamber where puzzles are more contingent on your ability to piece together a wider range of concepts you've previously picked up rather than tearing into every aspect of a particular mechanic.

morningbus

I don't really care for narrative in puzzle games so it never bothered me either way. I wouldn't mark it against the game unless it took away from playing it, but it doesn't actually affect it either so it's easy enough to ignore what I'm not paying attention to.

Just don't agree with the rest, QC has a more varied amount of mechanics to work with and they throw in just enough mechanic specific puzzles to teach the player what's going on before they transition it with the rest of your abilities. They're varying the puzzles up so that you're still doing new combinations of things towards the last levels.

It's preference at this point but I prefer a game like QC or antichamber where puzzles are more contingent on your ability to piece together a wider range of concepts you've previously picked up rather than tearing into every aspect of a particular mechanic.

I guess that's another place where we diverge then, QC's voice over actually got me to stop playing the game a few times.

Here's video footage from the last time this happened:

iF3wajrft4CIw.gif

But to each their own.

Unless it is Serious Sam.

drizzle

Axel Hertz
Wtf am I looking at there? Seriously a PC game that came out within the past three years with no DD?

Since it's a licensed game, if the deal wasn't made back then, I doubt it will ever be.

There's a lot of those. Tell me where one can digitally buy Web of Shadows or Shattered Dimensions for PC.

You can't (afaik). And they're both ok games.

morningbus

Wtf am I looking at there? Seriously a PC game that came out within the past three years with no DD?

It's especially common with old licensed Activision ports. Even games up until a year ago were just dumped off at Walmarts with no other physical retailers getting copies, let alone DD retailers.

Blizzard

Banned
Portal > Portal 2 >>> Antichamber > qube >> QC >>> TS
And this is why I began the whole thing commenting about how morningbus should be grateful someone else took the Twin Sector key. =P Though I'm not actually sure he can see my posts.

What's bad is that I probably still ended up getting Twin Sector on a super discount at some point, even though I remember the demo being pretty terrible. I thought the girl was pretty but that was like my only positive association.

morningbus

Oh, I sees them.

I'd still have taken Twin Sector, just to try it out. I worked my way though Borderlands 2. Pain no longer hurts me.

Tizoc

Hmm, a friend of mine told me its good and I don't mind a TPS...will watch some more vids of it before buying it.

Also why am I so cheap that I am not buying Cthulhu+BoD7 for $3?

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
The dev just confirmed Dyad is coming in March on the other thread. So the "truly weird" appears to becoming more and more plausible!

Let's not forget Bit.Trip FLUX and FATE are also in the registry...
Of course, I already said that Flux is a day-one purchase from me. And probably a day-one beat too (not 100%, I'm nowhere near that good, though I made it to Meta on the first level a couple of times).

Kipp

but I am taking tiny steps forward
To anyone with interest in The Showdown Effect, in today's closed beta update they made it so that the server waits for four people where before it would start a 20 second countdown immediately after two people were together. It's a major improvement that makes for some much more intense matches. Still very recommended!

i don't know when but gamersgate finally got more steam keys for those that bought the Bethesday Pack for $27 which included dishonored.

Cheddahz

Banned
I just completed Mark of the Ninja and wow, that game was a lot better than I thought it was going to be. The hype that GAF gave it is well-deserved

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom