• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM announcements & updates 2013 - Year of the SteamBox

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
If you're anticipating Halo 3, I'd suggest bracing for a Windows 8 requirement. W8 doesn't exactly have the greatest reputation amongst the hardcore, so it'd be classic MS to try and sway some folks over this way.

I'm as hard to the core as they come and I haven't had any issues on Windows 8 really.

I also don't think a Halo 3 port would be a Win 8 exclusive either though.

Twinduct

^^^^^^
I've got it running on my Work PC. It's Win7 with a fancy start menu .... and a desktop app lol
Although don't do any hardware changes. Had to reformat when I removed a secondary IDE drive ... happened twice now, so assume it's a bug.

Yeah. Although the Dyad one was a tipping point for me. Exclusive PSN game ... coming to PC.

Duxxy3

Alice $9.99
BF3 PE: $59.99
Bulletstorm: $4.99
Burnout PUB: $9.99
C&C RE3: $9.99
Crysis 2: ME: $9.99
Fifa 13: $15.99
ME3: $14.99
ME Trilogy: $29.99

Just on the front- some aren't great deals. Sims 3/Sim City 4. These have gone for cheaper elsewhere, but some are worth it I figure.

All Origin!

All set.

If you're anticipating Halo 3, I'd suggest bracing for a Windows 8 requirement. W8 doesn't exactly have the greatest reputation amongst the hardcore, so it'd be classic MS to try and sway some folks over this way.

Heck yeah. Hopefully we can have some good old-fashioned Caveman vs Neanderthal genocide.
Maybe someone could work some magic? Remember those Vista requirements for DX10?

Yeah. Although the Dyad one was a tipping point for me. Exclusive PSN game ... coming to PC.

To me, this weekend was is if I woke up in a parallel reality. I couldn't believe the things that are on that list.

Then you factor KoF was on Taito TypeX (essentially a PC) and then Dyad confirmed, the fact that some games have icons and hubs ready... Damn!

dreamfall

Why on earth is Dead Space 1 $10 and Dead Space 2 $5?
All I need is Dead Space 1. Sadness.

Yeah, that makes no sense. They should've bundled them for like $9.
I'm waiting for the Daily tomorrow- kind of hoping Steam will put it up as a Mid-Week or something.

1-D_FTW

I'm as hard to the core as they come and I haven't had any issues on Windows 8 really.

I also don't think a Halo 3 port would be a Win 8 exclusive either though.

You're not the demographic I'm talking about though. You've made the upgrade. I'm talking about people who say they'll ride out W7. I could most definitely see this as an attempt to get some people to give in and upgrade.

Of course, just like the older games, I'm sure it would be cracked to play on W7. So hopefully you're right and they don't even try to fight it.

Maybe someone could work some magic? Remember those Vista requirements for DX10?

Yeah. I'm sure this would happen. Which hopefully means MS won't even try and fight it.

morningbus

Serious Sam is a wicked gahbidge series for chowdaheads.
Could somone list all or what EA games are on sale on GMG? The EA sales page doesn't open for me =/

Alice $9.99
BF3 PE: $59.99
Bulletstorm: $4.99
Burnout PUB: $9.99
C&C RE3: $9.99
Crysis 2: ME: $9.99
Fifa 13: $15.99
ME3: $14.99
ME Trilogy: $29.99

Just on the front- some aren't great deals. Sims 3/Sim City 4. These have gone for cheaper elsewhere, but some are worth it I figure.

All Origin!

For next time, this is more the purview of Origin Jake's Crapshack.

Grief.exe

Also, be aware that the 360 controller transmits at 2,4 Ghz , which is the same frequency as regular WiFi (and Logitech's G930 wireless headset as well).

I've had some signal drops on some extreme cases, so I wouldn't put the receiver next to a router if there's a lot of WiFi traffic on your house.

Headset on PC?

Blasphemy!

morningbus

Shit.

Apologies.

Garry would not be pleased...

It was such a ghost town over there, I didn't want to disappear :/

Oh no probs! You were only being helpful.

But the discussion should move to the Origin thread beyond that, though.

Why did people think Dyad was a 'true' PS3 exclusive? Because it was Pub Fund? Many other Pub Fund games have already come out on PC/iOS/etc a while after launch.

Not sure why this is a big surprise (honestly, not condescendingly).

Tizoc

Well not everything could stay exclusive for long =P
Wonder what the price'll be for XIII, 02 UM and 98 UM? IMO they should be $15 each, or at least XIII can be $20, with a bundle for something like $40 or less.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
Why did people think Dyad was a 'true' PS3 exclusive? Because it was Pub Fund? Many other Pub Fund games have already come out on PC/iOS/etc a while after launch.

I think you might be confusing surprise with excitement at the further destruction of the exclusive concept.

HoosTrax

Honestly? Because timed exclusives make little sense to us considering the size of the PC audience. Easier to assume it's an exclusive period than to make sense of why you would delay the PC version of an indie game.

nexen

Yeah, wasn't Mutant Blobs Attack partially funded by Sony? I'm pretty sure About a Blob was.

Twinduct

Just referring to the list tbh. Dyad was one of the 'less' likely items to show up on steam (From the list). So it's just excitement that the list might be plausible now.

Having said that, how's the stance on the exclusivity of Super Time Force? :p

Just referring to the list tbh. Dyad was one of the 'less' likely items to show up on steam (From the list). So it's just excitement that the list might be plausible now.

Having said that, how's the stance on the exclusivity of Super Time Force? :p

I SEE WHAT YOU DID THERE.

Can't comment :)

Yea, I was mistaking the overall 'surprise' of some of those games showing up (Dyad being one) as something specific. Appreciate everyone responding for real rather than pooping on me.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
I think you might be confusing surprise with excitement at the further destruction of the exclusive concept.

Well, I mean, the death of exclusivity benefits PC the most, as the PC has no platform steward who is going to invest in exclusivity the way all other platforms do. That's the disadvantage of the "If we build it, they will come" model, I guess.

Kipp

but I am taking tiny steps forward
The Showdown Effect looks cool anyone is already on the beta?

Yep! It's great fun! Well worth the $10 (or $7.50 each for the 4-pack). And just in case you didn't know, you get to play the beta immediately after pre-ordering.

HoosTrax

Well, I mean, the death of exclusivity benefits PC the most, as the PC has no platform steward who is going to invest in exclusivity the way all other platforms do. That's the disadvantage of the "If we build it, they will come" model, I guess.
No moneyhatting on our behalf. So sad :'(. Forever Microsoft's red-headed stepchild to be stuffed into a closet (or worse, if people's fears re:the direction Windows 8 heralds comes to pass).

morningbus

No moneyhatting on our behalf. So sad :'(. Forever Microsoft's red-headed stepchild to be stuffed into a closet (or worse, if people's fears re:the direction Windows 8 heralds comes to pass).

Dracogen is basically the closest we have to that.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
I throw an internal emotions party whenever a game ceases to be exclusive to platforms that will never let the game grow.

I say that as an owner of a bunch of consoles and a PC that gets used for 99% of the time.

HoosTrax

Mark Shuttleworth's Red haired child? :p
I was being disingenuous when I mentioned PC gamers not being able to fathom why timed exclusives come to be -- we know perfectly well why they happen (although it doesn't make it any more palatable or easy to swallow). Now, Ubuntu splashing out some cash on behalf of the Linux gaming ecosystem is all well and good, but I assume there are technical considerations like OpenGL? Which might make it more expensive or time consuming for Linux ports compared to Win ports.

Dracogen is basically the closest we have to that.
I love that dude. PC gaming's version of the wealthy arts patron.

I would have disagreed if the PC gaming alliance actually did look out for PC gamers.

Which they don't.
Surprised ASUS ROG isn't on the members list.

---

One last thing - I had look at DYAD trailers, and it looks like everything Dejobaan's game 1-2-3-kick-it-like-a-baby should have been, instead of a failboat alpha product tacked on to Potato Sack.

Relax.MX

Yep! It's great fun! Well worth the $10 (or $7.50 each for the 4-pack). And just in case you didn't know, you get to play the beta immediately after pre-ordering.

Please you can explain more about the game? ...my principal fear is the premature dead of the online comunity

morningbus

Someone took Twin Sector without thanking, though. Which means I'm going to exhaust my hourly allotment of activations, just so you get dozens of emails telling you someone is trying to access your account.

Blizzard

Banned
Someone took Twin Sector without thanking, though. Which means I'm going to exhaust my hourly allotment of activations, just so you get dozens of emails telling you someone is trying to access your account.
Or you could be thanking whoever took it for saving you from Twin Sector. One might consider it the Bad Rats of Portal clones, though perhaps that's being slightly too harsh.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom