• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM announcements & updates 2013 - Year of the SteamBox

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is the year I chip away at the Backlog. THIS IS THE YEAR!

I'm currently -4.

Having just bought 4 new games, while I'm slowly playing away through DOOM3, which I'm actually enjoying (when I remember to breath). Man, that game is intense. I guess I could claim I was -3, as I played Galactic Civilization II for 4 hours before moving on to Game #2 (DOOM3). I'd play more GCII, but I really want a Star Trek/Star Wars mod for it.

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
6th place again? Man, I swear, if I wanted to do it on purpose I wouldn't even be able to.

It's back, nice!

Also nice is The Walking Dead, but jeeeesus at some of the animations and the annoying stuttering. Other than that stuff, it's pretty good. Never thought an adventure game of this kind could get my heart racing.
That game is so, SO good. If I could, I'd erase my memory and play it again. And again.

The best part is Capcom finally joining Steam. What titles does Capcom have after DmC and RE6 pc? It's about that time they reveal new titles right?

J-Tier

The best part is Capcom finally joining Steam. What titles does Capcom have after DmC and RE6 pc? It's about that time they reveal new titles right?

They need the Phoenix Wright games on PC. Well, they don't NEED it, but selecting the choices with the kbm is pretty logical.

X05

Upside, inside out he's livin la vida loca, He'll push and pull you down, livin la vida loca
Yay new thread! :D

Also, this sale I exceeded 300 actual games on steam... And I'm actually playing some! Can't believe it...

HoosTrax

Man, screw SteamBox, I'm way more intrigued by Nvidia Shield. Never have to leave my bed to play PC games.

The pricetag, including 6-series card, is probably going to be scary though.

epmode

It also seems to enable some of that Second Wave stuff, even if you haven't beaten the game. Try starting a new game.

didamangi

It's back, nice!

Also nice is The Walking Dead, but jeeeesus at some of the animations and the annoying stuttering. Other than that stuff, it's pretty good. Never thought an adventure game of this kind could get my heart racing.

AMD card? Changing shadows to low in the settings will fix the stuttering.

I'm buying all of it. The Shield, the Steambox, an OUYA, whatever else comes out. Bring it. Tired of boxes that came out when 50 Cent was #1 on the charts. It's time for things to happen. Make my wallet weep.

And oh hey look, Salsa! What do you do when you're on one of your bans?

Almost turning up 1 year of steam service. Although I have known steam since the early days of counter strike 1.5, I never really cared much for the platform. The valve games I had didn't require steam, nor any of my other PC games. I had to stop playing PC gaming since 2005/2006, my Pentium IV didn't run acceptably any more games since FEAR.

When I bought a quality gaming laptop in late 2011, I started again to buy games for the PC market. Eventually I got some steamworks games, had to install the application and here I am now, with more than 100 games in my account and 70% of PC games in my collection that I haven't played yet.

I obtained a lot of games over the last couple of months in preparation for my upcoming gaming PC build, and I can't wait to play them!

To be honest, I don't even know where to start or what would be the best order to play the games in. I am thinking that I should probably start with a FPS to get myself back into mouse/keyboard controls. I'm not sure which one though!

steam id: blindrocket

chixdiggit

Ahhhh, it's good to get back to vanilla Steam.
Edit: Holy Dota invites! Is there anyone left that even needs one?

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Filtering search results seems to break the Enhanced Steam add-one -- the games I own are shaded among the normal results, but I filter them any further the effect disappears.

Semblance

shhh Graham I'm still compiling this Radiant map
So glad I picked up GTA San Andreas. Remember thinking this was aight back in the day, but I had played III and Vice to death, so fatigue crept in quickly and I traded it away. But man, SA is incredible. The mission variety, the humor, the cast of characters. Easily the best thing I picked up these past few weeks. Currently driving around to some Frankie Knuckles in faux San Francisco, out on an errand for a blind triad dude who runs full-speed into walls. Favoritest R* game now.

I'll take a Loosum companion mod and call it a day.

My dude.

didamangi

I'll take a Loosum companion mod and call it a day.

680rcaOq0-EKFYHT1W0H.jpg

http://kotaku.com/5973986/here-we-go-valve+supported-computer-hardware-will-be-shown-off-tonight

Let the Steam Box speculation begin. Valve is investing in computer hardware, and they're showing it off this week.
A company called Xi3Corporation is developing the hardware (whose chassis you can see above), which they say is designed to play Steam games on big-screen TVs. They say they've received an investment from Valve, and that the machine will be shown off at both Xi3 and Valve's booths this week at the Consumer Electronics Show in Las Vegas.

Here's the press release:

Xi3Corporation today announced a development stage system optimized for computer gameplay on large high-definition television monitors.

Housed in the uniquely shaped, grapefruit-size Xi3® Modular™ Computer chassis, this new development stage product is being showcased this week at the 2013 International CES trade show in Las Vegas, Nevada in booth #20425 in the Las Vegas Convention Center. Xi3's new development stage product is designed specifically to support both Steam® and its Big Picture™ mode for residential and LAN party computer gaming on larger high-def screens.

With more than 50 million subscribers around the world, Steam is the digital distribution, digital rights management, multiplayer and communications/community platform from Valve Corporation. Big Picture mode allows members to access and play games through Steam on any connected high-definition television display/monitor.

"Today marks the beginning of a new era for Xi3," said Jason A. Sullivan , founder, President and CEO of Xi3. "This new development stage product will allow users to take full-advantage of their large high-definition TV displays for an amazing computer game experience. As a result, this new system could provide access to thousands of gaming titles through an integrated system that exceeds the capabilities of leading game consoles, but can fit in the palm of your hand."

Xi3 also announced today it has received an investment from Valve Corporation. Xi3's new development stage computer game system is also being showcased in Valve's booth (#25730) at CES 2013. No additional details about Xi3's new system or Valve's investment in Xi3 will be released at this time.​

A few weeks ago, Valve boss Gabe Newell told me that living-room-friendly PC packages sold by both Valve and third-party companies will be available in 2013.

Relax.MX

I was disappointed the first few hours of Saint Row 3, but after the third or fourth hour, i fell into the charm, maybe I needed to get carried away with the light/crazy sandbox gameplay as happened in the firsts GTA or maybe lower my expectations

PD: Just to finish the phase of sale madness..I want to thank some gaffers who are incredible

Thanks to The Confused for all, always a great gaffer, thanks to Chaz706 and Xenoflux for that great gift of chrismas, thanks to Pachterballs for Critter Crunch, to The Monk and Type2 for the wishlist thread of love and sure Xelios always a excellent friend

Doomrider

6th place again? Man, I swear, if I wanted to do it on purpose I wouldn't even be able to.

That game is so, SO good. If I could, I'd erase my memory and play it again. And again.

Yeah, the beginning of the first episode had me like "oh, building fences. hm...sounds fun..?" but I'm hooked now. I love how the game doesn't shy away from gore. Episode 2 was really good
(the dinner scene was tense!)
and I'm gonna start Ep. 3 now.

AMD card? Changing shadows to low in the settings will fix the stuttering.

Yeah, I already turned the shadows off but there's still some stuttering, when changing scenes/camera angles, and it's kinda distracting... Thanks anyway!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom