• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM announcements & updates 2013 - Year of the SteamBox

Status
Not open for further replies.

HoosTrax

Isn't that what one of the devs said? That the gameplay was made average on purpose so as to not detract people from the narrative? What an awful excuse.
Oh ok, so is that why they added pop up achievement progress tracking for things like kills with weapon types and headshots.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
I dont think he meant it as an excuse, I think he meant that there's nothing out of the ordinary about it because of that reason. As in, it is similar to every third person shooter out there.

and THAT makes sense, putting you in familiar ground before shaking things up makes sense for what the game's trying to accomplish.

it being average/not better has nothing to do with that, and if that's what he meant then yeah that is stupid as hell

What you say may be right on the mark, but even so it could have been improved. Within the pantheon of third-person gameplay, there's plenty of room to cover between Spec Ops and Vanquish.

yeah I'm with pablito. the game does a great job of feeling like a standard middle-of-the-road shooter then it turns around and sticks a flaming stick up your pee-pee hole. the storytelling and the mindless gameplay are kind of the same thing in some respects.

Salsa

What you say may be right on the mark, but even so it could have been improved. Within the pantheon of third-person gameplay, there's plenty of room to cover between Spec Ops and Vanquish.

for sure. I dont think they made it bad or not-that-good on purpose, I just think they made it very familiar and easy to get into. Core mechanics could have been tighter without sacrificing what the game set out to do

yeah I'm with pablito. the game does a great job of feeling like a standard middle-of-the-road shooter then it turns around and sticks a flaming stick up your pee-pee hole. the storytelling and the mindless gameplay are kind of the same thing in some respects.

yup

NaM

Does not have twelve inches...

Not fair, Vanquish probably has the best gameplay of any 3rd person shooter in the last couple of years. I enjoyed spec ops but the game is just a generic shooter with a weird twisted crazy story. I'd take gameplay mechanics over story any day.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Guys Dishonored is so good. $30 is tons of bucks on steam but man it was worth it.

I tried to snap up a RoW version from GMG UK when it was on sale and the discount code of the time stacked (converted to around AUD$17). Despite my best efforts it didn't take, yet plenty of people bought XCOM (at least I think it was XCOM) with the help of a VPN during the Winter Sale period. I suppose this is the price I pay for never running into any problems when purchasing from GMG AU.

Not fair, Vanquish probably has the best gameplay of any 3rd person shooter in the last couple of years. I enjoyed spec ops but the game is just a generic shooter with a weird twisted crazy story. I'd take gameplay mechanics over story any day.

Precisely why it sits at the other end of the scale.

Edit:

Please tell me this fate befalls somebody in the game.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
Man Saisoiruse Ronann isn't looking great in that new avatar.

If the planes can't land on Rihanna's forehead we will redirect them to hers.

morningbus

Serious Sam is a wicked gahbidge series for chowdaheads.
I made it on the scoreboard of posts from the previous thread, so mission accomplished for me.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
I made it on the scoreboard of posts from the previous thread, so mission accomplished for me.

ibckeQeKgKzqH7.gif

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
Maybe someone here knows,

I'm trying to play Ultimate Doom and when I start it up and play it runs fine but then at some point all the colors get messed up like this

vkCRs.png

anyone know why?
Something similar happens to me when trying to play any game in fullscreen using DOSBox. I solved it by playing in a window, though I've read there's a way to force it to use OpenGL instead of DirectX (or the other way round, or something like that).

Google tells me that a possible solution would be opening the file dosbox.conf and changing the line output=surface to any of these 3 options: output=ddraw, output=overlay or output=opengl.

You'll enjoy it, or you should =P

I don't own it, but I did play it for a bit at a buddy's house and and ended up staying longer than I intended.
Wow you're right, I played for 80 minutes (according to Steam) and it didn't feel like that at all! So far it's really good, though I suck at it. I still can't get the hang of walljumping and all those acrobatics, but I guess it's a matter of practice. The force is strong with this one, indeed.

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
Oh ok, so is that why they added pop up achievement progress tracking for things like kills with weapon types and headshots.
One of these achievements ruined a particularly good scene for me, popping up
right after Lugo was hung and I mowed down the angry mob in self-defense.
Talk about killing the mood...

It's an accurate description of what it feels like to play the game, that's for sure.
It's not that bad. Only thing I didn't like was those DAMN FUCKING ACHIEVEMENTS INTERRUPTING THE DEEP AND EMOTIONAL SCENES.

actual spoiler:
and the fact that it forced me to use the white phosphorous, when I didn't want to. Where's my (illusion of) choice, dammit?

It's not that bad.

They should patch in a "I bought this game cheap after reading all the hype and just want to skip to the end where the interesting things happen without slogging through the rest of the game"

... difficulty level. Would have been handy for me.

Lizardus

They should patch in a "I bought this game cheap after reading all the hype and just want to skip to the end where the interesting things happen without slogging through the rest of the game"

Its part of the experience. FC2 had similar premise and you were supposed to feel like the main character did, hopeless, depressed and whatnot.

Derrick01

Banned
Hitman : Absolution - completed

was cruising along, but the game finally started to wear on me around mission 17....so close to the end to.

Loved the gameplay...mostly ignored the story
since it seems to just be a way to get you from mission sandbox to mission sandbox

will definitely be going back to try more challenges though, need to put it down for a bit though

Which is so damn annoying because part of the reason they chose to dumb it down was to focus on this stupid cinematic narrative and nothing happens. I'm 16 missions in and all that's happened is a standard kidnapping and ransom thing. Such a waste.

Its part of the experience. FC2 had similar premise and you were supposed to feel like the main character did, hopeless, depressed and whatnot.

Yeah but only really in the second half of the game. The first half just had nothing for me personally, experience or gameplay wise.

Fantomex

Sleeping Dogs is sooooooo good guys. Dupy really hooked me up. I haven't had this much fun in a game since witcher 2. It's worth full price.

Salsa

After enjoying Deadlight more than most people apparently (after the first act it did get worse but it was never as terrible as some made it out to be), im having the exact same experience with I am Alive.

I gather that most people found it disappointing since the first reveal showed a much more ambitious game, but im really having fun with it for what it is.

Its obviously spotty and flawed at places, but the whole ordeal is interesting enough to carry the whole game. Its repetitive but in mechanics and encounters you dont ussually get to experience in games, so its still tolerable at worst.

I also like some of the "potentially frustrating" design choices and I get how that could get under some people's skin but its actually a big plus for me. Playing on the hardest difficulty and having the retries be an actual hard to find in-game item just makes you approach every situation/encounter much more carefully. Feels like a Japanese game at ponits.

between these 2 games and reading The Road last week I feel like I need to get out to the country and realize the world isnt really grey and post apocalyptic

Tizoc

Guys Dishonored is so good. $30 is tons of bucks on steam but man it was worth it.

I personally am waiting for all the DLC to be released and for the full game bundle to go for $30 or less come X-Mas 2013 Steam Repeats Sale.
...but yeah Dishonored's good gameplay-wise, although I personally prefer playing full stealth haha.

Played Poker Night at the Inventory and I suck at Poker, maybe next time I play I'll actually man up and win a round.

Salsa

I dont know how to play Poker. Each time I encounter it as an unavoidable mini-game I just touch every button till I win. It tends to work.

Did that with Poker Night for some TF2 items.

Glass Rebel

I hate poker-mini games. Far Cry 3 almost made me punch my screen with the forced game but then it was only one round.

Speaking of Far Cry 3, [first half spoilers]
the Vaas "boss fight" was kinda stupid.

I dont know how to play Poker. Each time I encounter it as an unavoidable mini-game I just touch every button till I win. It tends to work.

Did that with Poker Night for some TF2 items.

You should check out Far Cry 3. I don't know how to play Poker either but the ingame tips in FC3 were the first time I actually understood what I was doing in a Poker mini game.

Salsa

You should check out Far Cry 3. I don't know how to play Poker either but the ingame tips in FC3 were the first time I actually understood what I was doing in a Poker mini game.

I played and finished Far Cry 3. I pushed buttons and won Poker on my first try.

Blizzard

Banned
Happy new year, Steam thread.

On a not super Steam related note but about a game on Steam, Mirror's Edge: I discovered in the last couple of days that the On Mirror's Edge site went down, which was unfortunately the only English language Mirror's Edge modding forum I was aware of. There might be at least one foreign language one. Someone was looking into uploading some of the old custom maps, tutorials, etc. onto moddb, and Google cache still seemed to have some of the OME content, but it was sad to see a bit of modding history sink into the gloom of the internet.

And hey, the map editor always worked better with the Steam version than the standalone version, so that's one thing in its favor. :p

Damn you steam you just had to sell me football manager for £14.99 played over 20 hours already instant result makes this game so addictive.

Yaska

As a new years resolution started to dig through my sizable steam backlog. Finished Alan Wake, was a fun game, even tho the last episode just dragged it on and on. Next up it's time to finish Alice Madness Returns.

Also: Woohoo! new Steam thread!

Glass Rebel

As a new years resolution started to dig through my sizable steam backlog. Finished Alan Wake, was a fun game, even tho the last episode just dragged it on and on. Next up it's time to finish Alice Madness Returns.

Did you play the Alan Wake specials? They're really good imo, finished the Writer a few days ago.

After enjoying Deadlight more than most people apparently (after the first act it did get worse but it was never as terrible as some made it out to be), im having the exact same experience with I am Alive.

I gather that most people found it disappointing since the first reveal showed a much more ambitious game, but im really having fun with it for what it is.

Its obviously spotty and flawed at places, but the whole ordeal is interesting enough to carry the whole game. Its repetitive but in mechanics and encounters you dont ussually get to experience in games, so its still tolerable at worst.

I also like some of the "potentially frustrating" design choices and I get how that could get under some people's skin but its actually a big plus for me. Playing on the hardest difficulty and having the retries be an actual hard to find in-game item just makes you approach every situation/encounter much more carefully. Feels like a Japanese game at ponits.

between these 2 games and reading The Road last week I feel like I need to get out to the country and realize the world isnt really grey and post apocalyptic

Hmm I felt exactly the same way about I am alive. Somewhat flawed? Sure, but a really good little game with great atmosphere.

I'm now wondering if I should try deadlight. Next sale I guess.

Sarcasm

Some of the stuff in Driver SF is lame..like get away from cops in some 60 aston martin. Its slow and floaty..worst part is the 4 cops start right next to you so literally your already being bashed in..

so how can one do this!?

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member

Fuck no! Can you imagine all the text that would appear on the achievement? It would take half the screen off!

On second thought, I don't think that cheevo descriptions appear on the notification pop-up. OK then, you can have your IBTGCARAtHaJWtSttEWtITHWSTtRotG difficulty.

(that was hard as balls to type on the phone, lol)

You'll have the same with Alice then. Game should have ended 2 or 3 hours before it did. Stil great and one of my favourites of last year.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom