• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM announcements & updates 2013 - Year of the SteamBox

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was considering getting a gaming PC for the forst time ever because I didnt want to keep missing out on things like FTL or other small PC only stuff. So I'm really hoping the Steambox is getting announced soon, I'd rather just buy that and save all the hassle on knowing what I need for a PC.

Nabs

Spec Ops is really underrated by anyone who says it is overrated.

nopenopenoepnoepopenpeonepoenpoenoen

I was considering getting a gaming PC for the forst time ever because I didnt want to keep missing out on things like FTL or other small PC only stuff. So I'm really hoping the Steambox is getting announced soon, I'd rather just buy that and save all the hassle on knowing what I need for a PC.

The "I need a new PC" thread is really cool and helpful.

dreamfall

Bloodlines going on sale for for literally the first time ever (excluding general sale discounts) barely two weeks after the 2011 Summer Sale takes the cake. Many GAFers jumped on it on the final day thanks to this LTTP thread only to curse their luck when it was 75% off shortly thereafter.

Seriously, one of the most helpful threads to get that game up an running. Some 30-ish hours later, it became my favorite WRPG, probably ever. And yes, seeing it on sale was quite an aberration! Jumped on it right after building my PC, and loved every second of that game (MINUS THE SEWERS)!

Caerith

Bloodlines going on sale for for literally the first time ever (excluding general sale discounts) barely two weeks after the 2011 Summer Sale takes the cake. Many GAFers jumped on it on the final day thanks to this LTTP thread only to curse their luck when it was 75% off shortly thereafter.
I missed that thread and got it when it went on sale.

nopenopenoepnoepopenpeonepoenpoenoen

The "I need a new PC" thread is really cool and helpful.
Ill probably still end up getting a gaming PC if the Steambox isnt real/cant get me all the same games for some reason. So that thread will probably be a lot of help. Thanks for pointing me in the right direction.

SparkTR

Considering the Steambox will run on Linux, you'll still be missing out on that stuff.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
The story in Spec-Ops is great.

The gameplay... is bad. It plays like a totally bland shooter. One we have played 100x times before.

I think it's worth tolerating the mediocre combat for the interesting things it does with it's story and presentation, but only because the game is mercifully short at 6-7 hours. I don't regret spending several dollars and several hours on it.

Caerith

I think it's worth tolerating the mediocre combat for the interesting things it does with it's story and presentation, but only because the game is mercifully short at 6-7 hours. I don't regret spending several dollars and several hours on it.
Agreed. It has great atmosphere as well and I'll be going back to collect all the intel (to get the rest of the lore). It definitely helps that it is a short game, even more so that it is deeply discounted.

Aw man, Steam cloud ate my Psychonauts save. The only one it has is from maybe an hour into the game. I forgot to back it up too :/

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
Except it's harder and requires some form of tactics on the default difficulty. That you can't say about the majority of other TPS.
It's only harder because the mechanics aren't anywhere near as polished as they should be.

And a ridiculous amount of enemy spam each checkpoint.

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
Spec Ops has some of the worst level design in a shooter I've ever seen.

It's literally walk into a room, take cover behind the nearest chest high wall and fight waves of respawning enemies that rush your chest high wall for 10 minutes. Then move to the next room and repeat.

Also I think you have to be American for the story to have any impact. As a non-american, a game in which you shoot US soldiers didn't have any impact on me at all.

Xamdou

Got a question about Borderlands 2, there's no save button from the options menu so does the game save automatically?

Volcynika

Got a question about Borderlands 2, there's no save button from the options menu so does the game save automatically?

You'll see an icon in the top...right I think whenever it autosaves. Though I think if you exit the game it'll check with you and it'll be like a "Save and quit" option. Or something.

HoosTrax

It's literally walk into a room, take cover behind the nearest chest high wall and fight waves of respawning enemies that rush your chest high wall for 10 minutes. Then move to the next room and repeat.

I'm curious, have you played Mass Effect 2? It's much worse than Spec Ops. Each combat area feels completely artificial, like a game show obstacle course. You walk forward until you see a random, extremely conspicuous cover object, at which point you know that as soon as you reach it, it will set off a scripted event where a group of enemies appears.

auto save. watch out....the save system is janky and will only 'save' at the beginning of an area. so if you enter and area, do some stuff, save/quit/restart, you'll be at the start of that area.

edit : 2min2late

Miker

Also I think you have to be American for the story to have any impact. As a non-american, a game in which you shoot US soldiers didn't have any impact on me at all.

I'm kind of in the same boat. I spent one of my two $5 Amazon credits on Spec Ops to get it for $2.50 and wish I had used it on Darkness 2 instead. I just found it incredibly sloppy to play and the blandness of the actual game soured my enjoyment of the story. It was okay, I guess, but I didn't find it half as good as people say.

I'm curious, have you played Mass Effect 2? It's much worse than Spec Ops. Each combat area feels completely artificial, like a game show obstacle course. You walk forward until you see a random, extremely conspicuous cover object, at which point you know that as soon as you reach it, it will set off a scripted event where a group of enemies appears.

I don't remember loving ME2's encounter design, but I think Spec Ops, and Uncharted 1 are the worst offenders. I think Binary Domain takes the cake for quick, fun, and varied normal encounters.

That is not the big "thing" about that game. Play more and get involved. I'm not American either, still hit me hard.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
Uncharted 2 won countless game of the year awards with those problems!

Uncharted 2 had more varied set ups for the encounters and mobility played a role in the combat. I can't stand Nathan Drake and I think the Uncharted stories are complete nonsense, but it's combat was a lot more interesting than Spec Ops despite dipping into enemy spam.

If you're playing Borderlands 2, you're beyond saving.

iYFe28zPHydU7.gif

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
That is not the big "thing" about that game. Play more and get involved. I'm not American either, still hit me hard.

I've finished it, there is no more to play. It's "oh no, we're shooting uhmericans!" then "oh no civilians!" and then "oh no
we ripped off fight club!
".

Yawn.

Miker

I've finished it, there is no more to play. It's "oh no, we're shooting uhmericans!" then "oh no civilians!" and then "oh no
we ripped off fight club!
".

Yawn.

I found myself comparing it to CoD Black Ops more than anything else.

Caerith

Bottom line is that Spec Ops made a lot of people's" best of 2012" lists, and it also disappointed a lot of people. Both sides have valid reasons. Facts are it is cheap and it is only 6-7 hours, so if you don't have it then you really aren't out much by getting it.

Tomodachi

Bottom line is that Spec Ops made a lot of people's" best of 2012" lists, and it also disappointed a lot of people. Both sides have valid reasons. Facts are it is cheap and it is only 6-7 hours, so if you don't have it then you really aren't out much by getting it.
Good point. That's why I grabbed it, not sure I'm gonna like it since I'm not into war at all but I want to make my own idea on this much talked about game.

...and grabbed it from Steam for 6.79€ too, should have waited for those amazon deals ._.

shintoki

sparkle this bitch
It's not a very good game at all. Even though you can sort of appreciate the approach it takes, it suffers the same exact shit Uncharted has oddly enough.

During gameplay, you're a mad killing machine right from the start, gunning people down mercilessly. I shot civilians already, face stomped people, killed a hundred plus. I knew their big twist with the white phosphorus was happening at the time. Seeing about 50 people clumped up on the UV screen. I wonder what it is?! Lol.

There is that discontent between your players actions and cutscenes. Unlike Uncharted, they did attempt to merge the two a bit, but its still a game where you're gonna kill several hundred people by the end of it. And I'm really supposed to feel remorse?

And the gameplay is trash. There is nothing special about this title. The weaponry feels the same, enemies respond the same, most places will play out with hiding behind one or two areas and gunning down AI till its time to finish off the last few.

If they wanted to make a better impression, it should have been far less gunning, more personal able.

I don't regret playing it, it at least attempts something different for games, so I can see the appeal. But the execution wasn't there.

On a side note

I really think I'm done picking up games I have that half-ass interest in from now on. I decided to rent Halo 4 and after two levels, I'm bored. I just want to go back to Dragon's Dogma which I've been playing for about a month now. I feel so much more satisfied with a few games I play a lot rather than trying to churning through many.

yeah this is fair. it really hit me in the guts when I played it but I can understand the frustration a lot of people have expressed with it, it's hard to argue with the complaints. perhaps the fact that I tend to agree with the idea that our preoccupation with killing other people in games is a poor reflection on our culture meant that it got to me in a very particular and personal way.

edit: sexy avatar shintoki

Caerith

The thing I found most interesting in Spec Ops, by the way, wasn't the ending so much as the way the callouts change. Walker starts off pretty even keel but grows increasingly unhinged.

Tizoc

The Cave is up for pre-order on Green Man Gaming for $15 bucks. Steam redeemable:
http://www.greenmangaming.com/s/br/en/pc/games/adventure/cave/

You can use this code for 20% off, making it $12 bucks:
GMG20-PJFEW-Y16HK

If you had the $6 bucks credit on GMG from the Sleeping Dogs deal, that makes it $6 bucks!

I'm OK with giving 6 bucks to Double Fine. You should be too!

Neato, but is it the only site where it can be pre-ordered/pre-purchased? Either way gonna double dip on PS3 and Steam~

Lyonaz

Dungeon Siege 3 is €4.99 on Gamersgate, €3.99 with the 20% deal for my account.
It redeems on Steam.

Is the game any good?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom