• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM Announcements & Updates 2014 III - Don't Believe The Tags

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have to thank Blink Bundle for Kairo! Got two foils and sold them for just short of US$5. Shocked I managed to sell them within 24hrs, last foil took weeks to sell.

Wasn't there a fiasco where these guys publicly CC'd everyone's email address into a mass email? If so I'd be wary of using a legit address.

Yeah they sent a Desura game as apology, though I haven't noticed an increase in spam or anything. They also removed a game from their first bundle, Puddle, as they ran out of keys or something like that. They didn't take the game back, but they are a little bit of a mess.

zkylon

zkylewd
Sent a message, on his profile.

Maybe he just needs time out, I'm sure everyone has needed time off on Gaf at one point or another.

I remember when I didn't post for a couple of months.

yea sometimes gaf gets in the way of life and you need a break. I've lost many hours of sleep to this forum so I know what that's like

I'll miss you todd doe :<

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
Maybe I should ask Gazillion to ban me...

They never would, they love my money :(

Garcia

That PAC-MAN crack is sooooo good.

homero%20baba.gif

CheesecakeRecipe

Stormy Grey
Sent a message, on his profile.

Maybe he just needs time out, I'm sure everyone has needed time off on Gaf at one point or another.

I remember when I didn't post for a couple of months.

I thought I had him on steam but I didn't

Todd I left you a message of love, we'll write that novel one day <3

KarmaCow

Man Loudout is a huge grind. Really kills my motivation to play when every thing takes forever to upgrade. Can't seem to cap the fps either so it runs at a bagillion fps, heating up the gpu.

KarmaCow

Open your walle- I mean mind to the grind man!

To be fair, other than the coin doublers type purchases, everything else is cosmetic. You also still need to play a significant amount to unlock stuff. I just hate unlocking something only to find out I don't like it. It's a waste of in game currency and exp on that mod. The test arena is pretty generous but it doesn't match up to actually playing a game.

I've got Project CARS and can confirm its drool worthy. If they continue adding to the content and tweaking the physics its gonna be fantastic.

How do the current physics feel? I heard they improved the tire model recently. I'm debating whether to get this when it comes out or just stick with Assetto Corsa

Two of the hottest shooters on Steam right now. So good I would rather give them away then play them.

ModBot said:
Instructions for The Dear Leader:

Instructions for participants:
I am giving away 2 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line below that corresponds to the key you want (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering).

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible
- This giveaway is a LIGHTNING raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 15 minutes after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two:

Rekoil -- MB-298D18678B1EB1C8 - Taken by Cheddahz. 8 entrants total.
Takedown Red Sabre -- MB-B8687379F9AE83E8 - Taken by Cth. 4 entrants total.

t1393207692z1.png

nexen

Possibly stupid question:
do we expect more Ubisoft deals tomorrow or is this the last of them.
I know it says 'weekend' but it does list the 24th as the end date.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
Possibly stupid question:
do we expect more Ubisoft deals tomorrow or is this the last of them.
I know it says 'weekend' but it does list the 24th as the end date.

News feed says last day

DocSeuss

Anno 1404 and the Venice expansion will be back soon. 1701 is another matter: curiously, even though Ubi owns both the developer and publisher, the game was published by Aspyr on Steam and is still to this day published by Deep Silver on GamersGate.

Glad to see that they're coming back. That's... yeah, I have no idea what to say about 1701.

Tizoc

The final boss in Lord of Shadow's Resurrection dlc is so hard ;-;

You doin' it for the Cheevos? Cuz I treat the post main game stuff as an Epilogue rather than an Ending or True Ending.
Oh and I never played it on the PS3 not even for trophies. I watched someone beat them on YT and that was enough for me to not bother getting them or playing them.
Doubt I'd ever play them on the PC ver. too though.

FauX

Oh my, Digital Tribe Games pack on amazon is unavailable and I didn't buy it. Do you think they will get more keys before the offer expires?

Sooooo I'm thinking about picking up some of the AssCreed series (1, 2, Brotherhood, Revelations) as part of the daily deal, but Enhanced Steam has very kindly informed me that 3 of those use UPlay :S

Can someone give me quick summary of why UPlay is so hated? I'm not desperate to play these games, but the price is right so I'm willing to give them a shot as long as UPlay doesn't burn my house down or something.

Sooooo I'm thinking about picking up some of the AssCreed series (1, 2, Brotherhood, Revelations) as part of the daily deal, but Enhanced Steam has very kindly informed me that 3 of those use UPlay :S

Can someone give me quick summary of why UPlay is so hated? I'm not desperate to play these games, but the price is right so I'm willing to give them a shot as long as UPlay doesn't burn my house down or something.

Some of it has to do with the fact that it's arbitrary DRM within another DRM framework (Steam itself), and that it uses an additional login system. Not to mention that Ubisoft's DRM's are notorious for being buggy as hell.

Also, I'm fairly sure that the Ubi Store version of ACII Deluxe has the two additional DLC chapters included, while the one on Steam doesn't.

CS:GO question:

I just purchased an Operation Phoenix pass from the marketplace, and it's in my Steam inventory. When I launch CS:GO however, it tells me I don't have a pass when I try to access the OP matchmaking, and if I try to view my in-game Inventory I get an error saying "Failed to retrieve your items from the server".

Is this a common problem? I've never played the game before - I have it shared from a friend's library and thought I'd throw some money at the game rather than playing it for free.

Momentary

Banned
Seriously... Green Man Gaming has got to be a gift from the heavens. Getting 2 games retailing at $125.00 on consoles for $74.46 is astounding. I remember having to trade in like 5 games just to even get a price Loke that down into the $80 range back when I only games on consoles.

Damn I'm glad I'm done with physical copies of games.

Not from that trader, but I found some folks with copies of a game I want to get hold of. Too pricey though, should have picked it up one of the times it was $5 before it was removed from Steam :p

n.b. I want the game because I worked on it, I haven't sunk to JaseC levels ;)

Some of it has to do with the fact that it's arbitrary DRM within another DRM framework (Steam itself), and that it uses an additional login system. Not to mention that Ubisoft's DRM's are notorious for being buggy as hell.

Also, I'm fairly sure that the Ubi Store version of ACII Deluxe has the two additional DLC chapters included, while the one on Steam doesn't.
Yeah, it's pretty frustrating to have multiple layers of DRM, but that's not an automatic disqualifier for me. I'm not worried about the DLC either, as I'm getting 4 games for ~$15, which is enough content for me! :)

I was just wondering how it compares to the annoyances of GFWL, where I had to constantly log out, restart game, download update, log in, restart again etc to play the game.

Uplay is "buggy" like how?

Yeah, it's pretty frustrating to have multiple layers of DRM, but that's not an automatic disqualifier for me. I'm not worried about the DLC either, as I'm getting 4 games for ~$15, which is enough content for me! :)

I was just wondering how it compares to the annoyances of GFWL, where I had to constantly log out, restart game, download update, log in, restart again etc to play the game.

Uplay is "buggy" like how?

http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/CopyProtection/Ubisoft

Off the top of my head:

- AC1 had a performance-degrading bug
- AC2 had random drops caused by DRM connecting to the internet
- Uplay covertly installs plug-ins without the player knowing
- Ubi DRM made some games unplayable

Etc.

http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/CopyProtection/Ubisoft

Off the top of my head:

- AC1 had a performance-degrading bug
- AC2 had random drops caused by DRM connecting to the internet
- Uplay covertly installs plug-ins without the player knowing
- Ubi DRM made some games unplayable

Etc.
...yikes!

Definitely giving me second thoughts. I didn't enjoy what I played of AC1 on my PS3 back in the day, but I heard that the AssCreed2 trilogy improved a lot, so I was willing to give it another try. Now I'm not so sure.

I might read up a bit on UPlay tonight when I finish work to see if those issues are resolved for these AssCreed games. If they're not, no deal.

...yikes!

Definitely giving me second thoughts. I didn't enjoy what I played of AC1 on my PS3 back in the day, but I heard that the AssCreed2 trilogy improved a lot, so I was willing to give it another try. Now I'm not so sure.

I might read up a bit on UPlay tonight when I finish work to see if those issues are resolved for these AssCreed games. If they're not, no deal.

Well... I should say that they (apparently) dialed it back after getting a ton of complaints. I'm just pointing out that there's still a lot of resentment from people because of the aforementioned issues. Personally, I have no interest buying anything that requires a secondary account to log in, and I have a UPlay account.

I even gave away a copy of ACII Deluxe I bought at Christmas because I realized it was on UPlay.

I beat the LoS dlc but despite having finished every other level at the Knight difficulty it says I finished the last level on Warrior *internal screaming*

Well... I should say that they (apparently) dialed it back after getting a ton of complaints. I'm just pointing out that there's still a lot of resentment from people because of the aforementioned issues. Personally, I have no interest buying anything that requires a secondary account to log in, and I have a UPlay account.

I even gave away a copy of ACII Deluxe I bought at Christmas because I realized it was on UPlay.
Ah OK, I see. I definitely don't like the principle of multiple logins, but for a few dollars per game, I'm willing to look past it if it works adequately.

I guess I was just afraid of losing save games, taking forever to update/login, CTDs, or things like that.

Thanks for giving me the heads up! :)

Almighty

Seriously... Green Man Gaming has got to be a gift from the heavens. Getting 2 games retailing at $125.00 on consoles for $74.46 is astounding. I remember having to trade in like 5 games just to even get a price Loke that down into the $80 range back when I only games on consoles.

Damn I'm glad I'm done with physical copies of games.

Green Man Gaming is great. It is the reason I haven't had to pay full price for a game at launch the past couple of years.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
CS:GO question:

I just purchased an Operation Phoenix pass from the marketplace, and it's in my Steam inventory. When I launch CS:GO however, it tells me I don't have a pass when I try to access the OP matchmaking, and if I try to view my in-game Inventory I get an error saying "Failed to retrieve your items from the server".

Is this a common problem? I've never played the game before - I have it shared from a friend's library and thought I'd throw some money at the game rather than playing it for free.

Your problem is that you don't own GO while you bought a ticket that's meant for those that own the title.

Get the game for yourself for the ticket to work, or give the ticket to your friend and hope the operation pass will pass on to you through their family sharing ability.

Lain

Is Hero Seige good?

I'm not gonna call it good, because certain gameplay decision in it don't sit well with me, but it's better than average.
You kill waves of monsters until the stage boss pops, then you kill him too, all the while going around looking if some entrance to a secret stage opened, to gain some special items, or if some statues that will give you permanent stat boosts appeared.

I've had fun playing it, and it's constantly updated, like 3 times a day or something, though as I said it has certain things that bother me, like not being able to shoot diagonally and the fact such a game can slow down from time to time.

Dambrosi

Banned
bignic
@tehbignic
@find_eureka @GreenManGaming The problem is, how do I differentiate between people who got it for free and people who paid $0.25 ?

that's the devs reason,it is free on GMG for 24 hours before.
http://blog.playfire.com/2013/02/free-game-zombies.html
If I may interject here...I got Zombies. from GMG as part of a promotion by GMG and The Sun newspaper. I'm sure the dev was paid handsomely for his work.

Also, some Humble Bundle keys for y'all:
ModBot said:
I am giving away 3 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line below that corresponds to the key you want (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering).

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible
- This giveaway is a raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 3 hours after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two:

Giana Sisters: Twisted Dreams -- MB-E6429475884EBB32 - Taken by FOX_. 2 entrants total.
The Swapper -- MB-DE367385CBAB5E0F - Taken by Ryne. 8 entrants total.
Dust: An Elysian Tail -- MB-9FAE7DAC1C0753F8 - Taken by zeroOman. 1 entrants total.

t1393223976z1.png

Your problem is that you don't own GO while you bought a ticket that's meant for those that own the title.

Get the game for yourself for the ticket to work, or give the ticket to your friend and hope the operation pass will pass on to you through their family sharing ability.

Fair enough - I guess my mate is getting Operation Phoenix access! Bit crappy though - since it's a marketplace item I didn't realise I wouldn't be able to use it...it doesn't exactly resemble a piece of DLC.

Just started playing The Swapper and really liking it. Reminds me a lot of Limbo which had a really eerie vibe. I haven't heard anything about its story or meaning but I'm really interested in finding how it ends.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
So I broke down and picked up Plague Inc: Evolved on Early Access. I think one of only 3-4 games I've paid full price for in the last year.

The game is seriously cool. I really enjoyed the tablet version, but I find the mouse much easier to use than the touch screen for this type of game. While there isn't much innovation in this version over it's mobile counterpart, they obviously have a lot of things planned for the future.

I had about 2 hours to kill this evening and was able to get over 1/2 of the game's achievements that are currently unlockable in that time. I'll probably play it again this week and mop up the rest of them. Then when the game is closer to being finished, I'll play through again.

Yes, the price is kinda ridiculous for a game that is essentially free/cheap on mobile. But there is quite a bit of content here (and more on the way) to keep you occupied for a few hours, meaning the game passes my "better value than a movie ticket" test.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom