• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM Announcements & Updates 2014 III - Don't Believe The Tags

Status
Not open for further replies.
More importantly: was it any good?

Impressions seemed positive in the OT. As mentioned before, the two recurring complaints were the shooting controls and the AI, though it sounds like they improved the AI in a later patch. Seems like it might be worth checking out in a sale if you're itching for a little more HR.

jediyoshi

woah, wasn't GO around 110k conc yesterday? Now it's almost 120k

Was a huge spike over the weekend.

f3p8yXl.png

Probably partly due to the first weekend with new operation pass.

KarmaCow

The TF2 market is so weird. Half the posts on TF2 outposts are people saying they'll buy items at one price and are also selling the same items for 1.5 times the price they are paying for it in the same post. I don't understand how this works in a flat structure where there is no real middleman brokering the deals and managing the product, ie providing any kinda of service that justifies this mark up.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
The TF2 market is so weird. Half the posts on TF2 outposts are people saying they'll buy items at one price and are also selling the same items for 1.5 times the price they are paying for it in the same post. I don't understand how this works in a flat structure where there is no real middleman brokering the deals and managing the product, ie providing any kinda of service that justifies this mark up.

The middleman you speak of is the trader themselves. They wouldn't waste their time if there wasn't any profit in it for themselves.

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
So did I just forget to check each day or did we never get a Prince of Persia day on that Ubi sale?

KarmaCow

The middleman you speak of is the trader themselves. They wouldn't waste their time if there wasn't any profit in it for themselves.

Right but they aren't talking to Valve or someone else exclusively like Russian game sellers, they're reaching out the same people that are selling/buyings like the rest of us. If they are flipping the items so easily, there is clearly a userbase of people buying it at that higher price, so how do get anyone to sell them items at a lower cost? They're blatantly saying by selling to me, you're just losing out.

It's working obviously with how many posts there are like that, it just doesn't make sense to me.

Right but they aren't talking to Valve or someone else exclusively like Russian game sellers, they're reaching out the same people that are selling/buyings like the rest of us. If they are flipping the items so easily, there is clearly a userbase of people buying it at that higher price, so how do get anyone to sell them items at a lower cost? They're blatantly saying by selling to me, you're just losing out.

It's working obviously with how many posts there are like that, it just doesn't make sense to me.

They live in third world countries like Uruguay where stuff is cheaper :p.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.

Fair point. I can only assume they're attempting to buy from users in countries where the price is low, and attempting to sell to users in countries where the price is high.

Seanspeed

Banned
Assassins's Creed Revelations feels like an expansion pack. Despite the different setting, everything still looks and feels the same as previous games. There's architectural differences with some of the main buildings and there's new clothing for inhabitants, but it otherwise adds nothing worthwhile to the series and suffers from the GTAIV syndrome of being 'all city'. Being able to get around and explore different areas was a big part of what made AC2 and even Brotherhood more compelling. In this, it all feels like the exact same shit no matter where I am.

jediyoshi

The TF2 market is so weird. Half the posts on TF2 outposts are people saying they'll buy items at one price and are also selling the same items for 1.5 times the price they are paying for it in the same post.

Are you talking about things like exchange rates between Valve items ala keys to refs, or things where the regional pricing of games varies wildly? The pricing of stuff like refs fluctuate so wildly, I imagine there's a chunk of people that take part of it that don't even follow current trends and end up screwing themselves over.

Jame Retief

Neo Member
Might try streaming a playthrough of Dark Souls soon, I've never played the game before and I want people to experience my demise.

I'm currently playing for the first time. I'm guessing I'm about halfway through the game. It's great, but the first few hours can be a test of patience while you learn your place in the world.

If you don't mind a very mild spoiler I believe one thing can help with that initial chaos. As soon as you finish the tutorial...

1)
Rest at the Firelink bonfire and spend as many of your collected souls that you can.

2a)
Look for the cemetery next to the ruins at the bonfire.

2b)
There are several items laying around, but they protected by skeletons that are going to slaughter you if you try going toe to toe. You will want to run past the skeletons and grab the loot. You will likely be killed AT LEAST once while doing this and is why you should have spent your souls before doing these suicide runs. This is a small area so this can be done in just a few minutes.

2c)
The specific item that I believe helps a new player is the Winged Spear that you will find in the cemetery. Spears allow you to more safely attack while you keep your shield up. Combine this with a shield that blocks 100% physical and you're survivability is greatly enhanced while you figure things out.

You can do this within the first 5 minutes after the tutorial ends and will help ease the initial learning curve the game throws at you. Have fun. And, yeah, prepare to die. :)

KenOD

a kinder, gentler sort of Scrooge
I guess I should give a bit more of a warning when it comes to Commandos, though I love them, on modern system and how Steam installs things there are issues that can present themselves.

Game horribly sped up, simply not activating, etc. All of which can be fixed, it just takes a bit of search. For example in order to get Commandos Behind Enemy Lines to work, at least for some people you'll need to set it to Windows 98 compatability mode through the .exe.
For others, such as myself with a Vista desktop for gaming, I had to download and install this file. http://dl.dropbox.com/u/8472513/Commandos Ultimate Fix.zip which was easily found simply by in the Steam Community threads for the game.

If you want stealth games, tactical games, or games set in Second World War rather than the standard places (Behind Enemy Lines starts off in Norway for example), do give this game a chance and don't let any issues of bugs and glitches bother you as there are fixes for it out there.

Warning I have no idea how it works on Windows 8, but I can confirm that all of them play through the Steam versions on Windows 98, Vista, and 7.

Edit: Oh and for the later games, 2 and 3 specifically on Windows 7 with 64 Bit. http://www.gog.com/forum/commandos_...de_settings_windows_7_home_premium_64bit_sp_1

Annubis

Summer sale cards have nearly doubled in value in the last month.
Better get them while they're still cheap!

(Plan to become a Steam card millionaire: underway)

mannerbot

I'm currently playing for the first time. I'm guessing I'm about halfway through the game. It's great, but the first few hours can be a test of patience while you learn your place in the world.

If you don't mind a very mild spoiler I believe one thing can help with that initial chaos. As soon as you finish the tutorial...

1)
Rest at the Firelink bonfire and spend as many of your collected souls that you can.

2a)
Look for the cemetery next to the ruins at the bonfire.

2b)
There are several items laying around, but they protected by skeletons that are going to slaughter you if you try going toe to toe. You will want to run past the skeletons and grab the loot. You will likely be killed AT LEAST once while doing this and is why you should have spent your souls before doing these suicide runs. This is a small area so this can be done in just a few minutes.

2c)
The specific item that I believe helps a new player is the Winged Spear that you will find in the cemetery. Spears allow you to more safely attack while you keep your shield up. Combine this with a shield that blocks 100% physical and you're survivability is greatly enhanced while you figure things out.

You can do this within the first 5 minutes after the tutorial ends and will help ease the initial learning curve the game throws at you. Have fun. And, yeah, prepare to die. :)

I would recommend not doing that as I believe that this is a crutch and steers the player into believing that a sub-optimal style of play is actually a preferred one. I'm actually surprised that you recommended suicide running for that specific weapon; there IS a good weapon that players like to get there, but it's the Zweihander (though it might not be the best weapon for newbies as it's extremely slow).

Here's the problem with what you're recommending: you're advocating a turtling style of play that, yes, will help limit deaths, but that's not actually a good thing. Making mistakes (and dying) is part of the learning process. If you just sit behind your shield all day, you might do a little bit better than players who do not but you will learn at a much slower rate. Plus, you should experiment both early on and throughout the game to find out what weapons and what style of play you enjoy, as well as what works for you. Additionally, while you can attack with your shield raised if you're using a spear, it should be noted that you need to lower your shield when you're not in danger of being attacked because having your shield raised results in a greatly reduced rate of stamina regeneration.

Cth

So, again I'll ask -- any recommendations to definitely buy or stay away from:
Hammerwatch, Bridge Constructor, or Tetrobot?

Hammerwatch is pretty.. from what I remember some had an issue the save system (it may have since been patched?) But basically it's not a quick play sort of game. I picked it up because I wanted a randomized game that looked great. It could be boring for some I'd imagine. It has co-op as well so there's that. BONUS - it has cards (Avg: 13 cents)

Bridge Constructor -- only know of it from the gif in the thread. It's an iOS game, right? So $1.99 vs $9.99?

Tetrobot -- No idea. Has cards ranging from 20 cents to 60 cents. Could re-coup half your purchase price.

Caerith

Tetrobot is a sequel to Blocks That Matter, so if that's your sort of thing you might like it?
Bridge Constructor looks fun but not very substantive, so wait for a deep discount maybe.
No idea on Hammerwatch.

I would recommend not doing that as I believe that this is a crutch and steers the player into believing that a sub-optimal style of play is actually a preferred one. I'm actually surprised that you recommended suicide running for that specific weapon; there IS a good weapon that players like to get there, but it's the Zweihander (though it might not be the best weapon for newbies as it's extremely slow).

Here's the problem with what you're recommending: you're advocating a turtling style of play that, yes, will help limit deaths, but that's not actually a good thing. Making mistakes (and dying) is part of the learning process. If you just sit behind your shield all day, you might do a little bit better than players who do not but you will learn at a much slower rate. Plus, you should experiment both early on and throughout the game to find out what weapons and what style of play you enjoy, as well as what works for you. Additionally, while you can attack with your shield raised if you're using a spear, it should be noted that you need to lower your shield when you're not in danger of being attacked because having your shield raised results in a greatly reduced rate of stamina regeneration.
I agree with everything you said. I'd also say that anyone who is just starting out should not spend any souls on stats until they've got a good reason to-- learning to play with minimal health and stamina means you'll play better when you start boosting stats.

masterkajo

Dark Souls 2's Black Armor edition looks so amazing!

I wish it was available for pre-order in America...

BhRZ-mHCAAIt9gs.png:large

Emulation is apart of PC gaming and I appreciate the awesome post!

And to think I was mad for simplycdkeys to cancel my cheap digital Dark Souls 2 pre-order a mere day ago. I am actually glad since I ordered one of those for PC now.

So taking a look through the weekly deals, and I see articy draft. I thought it looked neat, and wanted to pick it up on sale. Apparently, though, the sale is for DLC that updates it to 2.X+? Which means you have to pay at least $100 for the base version, then (at normal prices) another $100 to get the most recent version? Gross. Why not just the sell newer version for $100 by itself? Oh, right. Money.

derExperte

Assassins's Creed Revelations feels like an expansion pack. Despite the different setting, everything still looks and feels the same as previous games. There's architectural differences with some of the main buildings and there's new clothing for inhabitants, but it otherwise adds nothing worthwhile to the series and suffers from the GTAIV syndrome of being 'all city'. Being able to get around and explore different areas was a big part of what made AC2 and even Brotherhood more compelling. In this, it all feels like the exact same shit no matter where I am.

Pro: You can complete it very fast and I liked the Lost Archives DLC.

Dead Island: Riptide is $3.74 which is about 88% off it's $29.99 price right now from the Humble Store.

Not that I would've bought it, played through on the free weekend and it felt like a bad time investement.

wilflare

is anyone having issues purchasing items from Steam? :/
I thought if i went to sleep and wake up it'll be okay but I can't even purchase from my Steam Wallet now @_@

StAidan

I can recommend Hammerwatch for anyone who likes Gauntlet-style games. It's not procedurally generated but the maps are numerous and expansive. It's a much better game than any Gauntlet I ever played, too. The co-op makes it even more fun (I've only done local, not online).

That's why people said the AC franchise needs a break, but people kind of forgot that when Black Flag came out.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.

mannerbot

It was on the list of candidates for "birthday present", since my gf usually has no idea what to get me. But if I can't get her to import it from amazon.co.uk, I have no effin clue what to do now. :\

If I decide to cancel and order a digital edition from the US (which is pretty likely, don't think I want to wait) perhaps I could forward you my Black Armour Edition?

Eternia

I'll recommend Hammerwatch as well. The classes are pretty varied and you have tons of options on what kind of upgrades you'll choose to build your character around. The maps are quite large, have plenty of secrets to discover (and possibly regret doing so!) and puzzles to solve. The devs have also mentioned that a new campaign and two classes will be added in the future but I'm unsure if it'll be free.

I did have issues with widely fluctuating framerates and save data vanishing when I couldn't connect to my friend's game which seemed to be known issues at the time (save data is stored only on the host too). When that happens, the game does give you the amount of gold the host has but you'll have to buy all your upgrades again.

Jame Retief

Neo Member

I don't necessarily disagree with what you've argued. All valid points.

I have several friends who have the game, started it, and within an hour or so dropped it because it was too overwhelming and unforgiving. "Masochistic" is how they viewed playing the game.

Yes, turtling with a spear is not a great way to push through the game. However, for a new player it can give them enough ability to observe some game mechanics and feel a little less frustrated at the beginning.

As I said, I'm still on my first playthrough. I didn't start with the spear and I understand the frustration the game can cause a new player. After a few hours in the game I picked up the spear and it allowed me some breathing room (figuratively and literally) to observe some of the game mechanics I struggled with or missed to that point.

I was able to make progress while learning and, from the perspective of a player new to the gameplay, made for a much more enjoyable initial experience. I also learned the spear approach was a short term use for me and moved on from it.

In short, if it helps someone to not give up on this great game it has proved it's worth.

FloatOn

the great thing about dark souls is that in the end the weapons are only as good as the person using them.

you really can be just as effective with a hand axe as you would a boss soul weapon. this is a bit hyperbolic but watch a soul level 1 playthrough and you will see that I'm not that far out of touch.

mannerbot

the great thing about dark souls is that in the end the weapons are only as good as the person using them.

you really can be just as effective with a hand axe as you would a boss soul weapon. this is a bit hyperbolic but watch a soul level 1 playthrough and you will see that I'm not that far out of touch.

It's not hyperbole, I'd take a max upgraded starting weapon over most boss soul weapons.

FloatOn

I actually advise new players to grab the claymore on the red dragon bridge and go from there.

Solid moveset, good scaling and low stat requirement.

It's basically a non-shitty zweihander.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Still no reply from Ubi. Mr. Support Person must be waiting on Valve to send through that Steam key. :p

mannerbot

I actually advise new players to grab the claymore on the red dragon bridge and go from there.

Solid moveset, good scaling and low stat requirement.

It's basically a non-shitty zweihander.

Well, the Claymore is one of the best weapons in the game if not the best, but the Zwei is far from shit.

FloatOn

I had no idea this was a thing but towerfall ascension looks incredibly fun:

http://store.steampowered.com/app/251470/?snr=1_4_4__105_1

It will sit nicely next to Samurai Gunn and Nidhogg in the category of "local same screen deathmatch goodness"

Well, the Claymore is one of the best weapons in the game if not the best, but the Zwei is far from shit.

I think I'm just bitter about fighting too many lightning zwei mask of father users. it was the flavor of the week for too long.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom