• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM Announcements & Updates 2014 III - Don't Believe The Tags

Status
Not open for further replies.

Eternia

Sega has recently begun work on beta and test branches for Dawn of War 2 and Dawn of War 2: Chaos Rising.

They're GFWL games so I think we can safely assume just what it is the devs are up to.
Excellent, I'm glad they made it over. Just need the other hopefuls to start working on their games in the near future.

Deques

Sega has recently begun work on beta and test branches for Dawn of War 2 and Dawn of War 2: Chaos Rising.

They're GFWL games so I think we can safely assume just what it is the devs are up to.
Nice, I will play those again when they remove GFWL from them. It cursed me a lot when I played dow2

UnrealEck

Thief really confuses me with these reviews. Some say it's like Dishonored, full of individual stages to mess around with and have a great time, but then reviewers I trust like Simon Parkin say that and I just don't know. I need a demo.

Compared to Dishonored it feels crippled. As a game on its own its just very linear, restricted, slow, boring, uninteresting, and glitchy. I hate how restrictive the movement is in the game. You can't traverse the environment with much freedom or fluidity. There's no room to explore or do anything creative, fun or interesting and the AI is absolutely laughable. I mean you can be chased by two guards, climb a couple of stacked boxes and they suddenly can't see you even though you're right in front and above them.

Khronico

Compared to Dishonored it feels crippled. As a game on its own its just very linear, restricted, slow, boring, uninteresting, and glitchy. I hate how restrictive the movement is in the game. You can't traverse the environment freely. There's no room to explore or do anything creative, fun or interesting and the AI is absolutely laughable. I mean you can be chased by two guards, climb a couple of stacked boxes and they suddenly can't see you even though you're right in front and above them.

So depressing that one of the best game series of all time is reduced to this. I'm still hurting from Hitman too...

Stop doing this publishers ;_;

Just let these IP's rest in peace.

Grief.exe

Compared to Dishonored it feels crippled. As a game on its own its just very linear, restricted, slow, boring, uninteresting, and glitchy. I hate how restrictive the movement is in the game. You can't traverse the environment with much freedom or fluidity. There's no room to explore or do anything creative, fun or interesting and the AI is absolutely laughable. I mean you can be chased by two guards, climb a couple of stacked boxes and they suddenly can't see you even though you're right in front and above them.

This is pretty much what Eat Children was saying earlier.

I don't want to out words in his mouth, but it sounds like a Dishonored game where you stripped out the elements that made it compelling.

wilflare

this error keeps coming up for me :/

Our humble apologies, we encountered an unknown error. Sometimes this happens briefly when we are changing things or App Engine is down. Please try again in a minute or so!

Turfster

this error keeps coming up for me :/

Our humble apologies, we encountered an unknown error. Sometimes this happens briefly when we are changing things or App Engine is down. Please try again in a minute or so!

Clear your cookies?
Does it do this for all your browsers/systems?

Sarcasm

Why does my steam mobile app always start by itself? I never turn my phone off so its not a start up issue and I quit/log off within app.

Almighty

That is the kind of news I have been hoping to hear for a while. As those are the last two games I have still with GFWL.

Wasteland 2 Extended Gameplay trailer

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=juemg0G1UNg

I liked what I saw. Wasteland 2 was the first game I backed, but haven't really been following it closely at all. Between this and Pillars of Eternity I am pretty excited about the return of old school(not a fan of that term, but can't think of anything better) RPGs.

Vazra

irresponsible vagina leak
Royally pissed at Konami's stupidity with Lords of Shadow 2 release. Seriously why the fuck not on Midnight and such late time. SMFH

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Royally pissed at Konami's stupidity with Lords of Shadow 2 release. Seriously why the fuck not on Midnight and such late time. SMFH

Not including any pre-purchase incentives was a great way to ensure that I just wait for a sale. It's a pity the expected inclusion of MoF HD didn't eventuate.

JaseC

Don't all Steam games release the afternoon of the day of release? I feel like midnight releases on Steam are fairly rare.

Publishers can choose to release the game whenever they wish provided the initial build supplied to Valve passes what is essentially a small certification process. I recall Tomb Raider being a midnight release worldwide and so it unlocked in Australia well before anywhere else.

Ewww compression.

I can see why one would use lossless format for artistic screenshots (cough bullshots cough) but I don't understand why png is needed for an image like the one I was talking about. 7.4 MB image showing a compressed image of a website, some words, some numbers, and nothing else. Why?

PNG is compressed. You're thinking of BMP (which, tbh, can also be compressed, RLE encoding tends to shave a few bytes here and there).

I know png is compressed. I should have said lossy compression. 7.4 MB image showing a compressed image of a website, some words, some numbers, and nothing else is way beyond me.

oipic

This is pretty much what Eat Children was saying earlier.

I don't want to put words in his mouth, but it sounds like a Dishonored game where you stripped out the elements that made it compelling.

The 16 months or so since Dishonored's release perhaps didn't provide the Thief devs enough time to steal (pun intended?) its best elements, but gee... between Dishonored and ye olde Thief games, there was surely enough inspiration available to get closer to the mark with the reboot.

Perhaps if it wore another name, and had another protagonist, it would be looked at and received a little differently... but I'm not sure. I'll still play it at some point, and I'm looking forward to it actually, but it is saddening to read of the lost opportunity here.

Turfster

Well, thanks, Viscera Cleanup Detail Santa's Rampage.
"Oh hai, you already have .net, so we'll just close this installer."
"Right, okay."
"And we're also going to reboot your PC now."
"Wait, what?"
Windows reboots.
ARE YOU FUCKING SHITTING ME?
"Right, okay."
"Wait, what?"
Windows reboots.

FUCK YOU MICROSOFT. FUCK EVERYONE THAT WORKED ON THIS PIECE OF SHIT .NET INSTALLER

Why is SweetFX such a pain in the ass to get working on some of the more graphically intense games?

I've had 0 success with Borderlands 2 (Steam claimed my borderlands 2 was already running when I'd try to start the game) and Arkham Origins (I can't tell if there's anything working as trying to turn it on and off knocks the game out of fullscreen and puts it in an offcenter window).

Turfster

just delete all those directx and .net installers from its directory and run the game, it won't ask you to install them.

At least that's how I think it works :p

Yes, but I didn't do that beforehand and had to sit through 3 fucking reboots before I was quick enough to kill their autostarting and restarting piece of shit .net installer before it rebooted my pc again for nothing.

Sorry Visceral Cleanup team, but fuck you too.

CheesecakeRecipe

Stormy Grey
Well, thanks, Viscera Cleanup Detail Santa's Rampage.
"Right, okay."
"Wait, what?"
Windows reboots.
ARE YOU FUCKING SHITTING ME?
"Right, okay."
"Wait, what?"
Windows reboots.

FUCK YOU MICROSOFT. FUCK EVERYONE THAT WORKED ON THIS PIECE OF SHIT .NET INSTALLER

hahaha holy shit I thought it was just me that ran into that annoying .net installer

I forget what game it was for but when it made my computer restart without even asking me I was like wait what the fuck

JaseC

just delete all those directx and .net installers from its directory and run the game, it won't ask you to install them.

At least that's how I think it works :p

First-run setups are mandatory insofar that if the prereqs are missing Steam will just download an "update" to acquire them again... but you can get around this by editing the installscript.vdf files located in the folders of the prereq installers.

Anteater

First-run setups are mandatory insofar that if the prereqs are missing Steam will just download an "update" to acquire them again... but you can get around this by editing the installscript.vdf files located in the folders of the prereq installers.

hmm I thought i got around it by deleting them because some games wouldn't launch with the installer failing, I usually just delete the installer and the game would run and ignore it, though it might've redownloaded them again without me noticing.

JaseC

hmm I thought i got around it by deleting them because some games wouldn't launch with the installer failing, I usually just delete the installer and the game would run and ignore it, though it might've redownloaded them again without me noticing.

Ah, things may have changed since I last needed to skip an installation. I can't even remember the last time I ran into an issue. I mean, some installations take far longer than they should but they all get across the finish line eventually.

Jawmuncher

Considering I loathed Dishonored, i'm still curious to try thief (at a summer sale price of 15 bucks). Wouldn't be surprised if I enjoyed it more than Dishonored. I have an odd spot for linear games and tend to enjoy them more than most anything else.

Casimir

Unconfirmed Member
Yeah I'm a panther style player, I only refrain from killing people when there are consequences, like in Dishonored.

Ah, I see. Well if you ever play that section again just know that it becomes a cakewalk if you approach it with a Ghost playstyle.

Arthea

I see Thief is the best selling game on steam now, unexpectedly so.
Then goes Banished, unholy duo and then South Park and Castlevania. This can't be good for Castlevania...

Caerith

I see Thief is the best selling game on steam now, unexpectedly so.
Then goes Banished, unholy duo and then South Park and Castlevania. This can't be good for Castlevania...
When you go to the Steam front page, the first thing you see is a bigass ad for Thief. Not the usual promo spot that cycles through various titles (that's below it), just a huge ad. What I want to know is why.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom