• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM Announcements & Updates 2014 III - Don't Believe The Tags

Status
Not open for further replies.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
I'll tell you in a few days, when it unlocks for me.
The fact that it apparently has cutscenes that make you a bumbling fool and leave you standing out in the open, like in fucking max payne 3, doesn't fill me with hope.

Everything about the closing prologue cutscene is super dumb.

wetflame

Pizza Dog
I managed to trade a TF2 gun for South Park, so even though I had no real interest in it to begin with (and haven't watched the show in over 10 years really) I'm kind of excited to see what this is like. I'm sure it'll be entertaining and for the price of zero Pounds Sterling I'm fine with taking a shot at it.

JaseC

I managed to trade a TF2 gun for South Park, so even though I had no real interest in it to begin with (and haven't watched the show in over 10 years really) I'm kind of excited to see what this is like. I'm sure it'll be entertaining and for the price of zero Pounds Sterling I'm fine with taking a shot at it.

Having no South Park-themed TF2 hats as pre-purchase incentives strikes me as a massive missed opportunity.

Kadin

Having no South Park-themed TF2 hats as pre-purchase incentives strikes me as a massive missed opportunity.
Completely agreed. I see you're playing Thief, I'll be curious to see what you think about it. Seems to be getting hammered by a few sites which is a bit unsettling...

JaseC

Completely agreed. I see you're playing Thief, I'll be curious to see what you think about it. Seems to be getting hammered by a few sites which is a bit unsettling...

I'm still moseying about the first chapter (that is, the first chapter after the prologue) but I can say that I'm not a fan of the contextual jumping. I haven't played a Thief game since 2 released a million moons ago so the contextual rope arrow usage doesn't particularly bother me, although I would've liked to have seen it earmarked as the game's answer to Dishonored's Blink power in terms of opening up exploration and encounter approaches, but the contextual jumping is rather unreliable (most notably you often jump to the ground when trying to jump to a rope) and makes exploration a little unclear due to the pre-defined nature of the routes.

I'm not entirely sure of the difficulty settings I'm using but I'm playing a slightly customised Master Thief difficulty. From memory I disabled Focus and limited myself to speciality arrows, but I think I changed one or two other options, too.

Edit: Ah, I did disable enemy alert status icons, although that's not part of the difficulty options but rather a general HUD setting you can enable/disable at will (difficulty options are locked once you begin a game).

Kadin

I'm still moseying about the first chapter (that is, the first chapter after the prologue) but I can say that I'm not a fan of the contextual jumping. I haven't played a Thief game since 2 released a million moons ago so the contextual rope arrow usage doesn't particularly bother me, although I would've liked to have seen it earmarked as the game's answer to Dishonored's Blink power in terms of opening up exploration and encounter approaches, but the contextual jumping is rather unreliable (most notably you often jump to the ground when trying to jump to a rope) and makes exploration a little unclear due to the pre-defined nature of the routes.

I'm not entirely sure of the difficulty settings I'm using but I'm playing a slightly customised Master Thief difficulty. From memory I disabled Focus and limited myself to speciality arrows, but I think I changed one or two other options, too.

Edit: Ah, I did disable enemy alert status icons, although that's not part of the difficulty options but rather a general HUD setting you can enable/disable at will (difficulty options are locked once you begin a game).
So you can't really do anything other than what the jumping already wants you to do? No way of going off the beaten path yet you still have to full engage it yourself, to which it sounds like is kind of amiss?

I assume you're using a controller. How about the attack being setup for a shoulder (not triggers) button, can this be changed? Seems really odd to have it bound to that type a key.

oipic

WS0pNiA.png

This man has it ALL.

Turfster

There's a story reason for it. Garrett is actually
an elephant
. And the guards?
Dogs
. That's why they can't
look up

Reminds me of the Looking Glass GAMBIT podcasts, where they revealed Garrett was actually
a snowman

JaseC

So you can't really do anything other than what the jumping already wants you to do? No way of going off the beaten path yet you still have to full engage it yourself, to which it sounds like is kind of amiss?

Yeah, the levels aren't nearly as large or open as those in Dishonored.

I assume you're using a controller. How about the attack being setup for a shoulder (not triggers) button, can this be changed? Seems really odd to have it bound to that type a key.

Nah, kb&m, since it's first-person (not that you really need the superior precision of a mouse).

WS0pNiA.png

This man has it ALL.

Yeah, but when he loses the sub he'll be back to where he was. :p The press sub actually isn't as comprehensive as the master sub Valve employees get as publishers can elect to leave stuff out of it. For example, it has Outrun but not Wheelman.

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
I'll tell you in a few days, when it unlocks for me.
The fact that it apparently has cutscenes that make you a bumbling fool and leave you standing out in the open, like in fucking max payne 3, doesn't fill me with hope.
The final part of the
crumbling building
in MP3 was ridiculous. Who the hell thought leaving Max without cover right after a cutscene, with less than half a second to hide before he's riddled with bullets, was a good idea? It doesn't help that dying there means you have to repeat the whole section again.

Pure bullshit.

JaseC

What? But... Dishonored levels were already tiny compared to the Thief ones.

Taken on their own they weren't too bad, even if some of them were chopped up a bit. Thief, from the little I've played of it, seems noticeably more claustrophobic.

You have to understand with the evolution of gaming computers: cpu, memory, gfx cards... it just becomes impossible to make levels as big as back in the days... err.. yea...

Squeenix did say something to that effect at one point!

Kadin

You have to understand with the evolution of gaming computers: cpu, memory, gfx cards... it just becomes impossible to make levels as big as back in the days... err.. yea...
I never really thought about that but I guess that's why we don't have game worlds the size of Daggerfall anymore these days... or of course Arena.

Anteater

Syberia 2 is a bit weird so far, dialogues don't connect that well because Kate often seems to know the next objective before the NPC give her pointers, so dialogues are sometimes out of order... which leads to her asking things she already know, or making decision on things she shouldn't have known about >_>

JaseC

How do I get more friends on Steam?

Friend slots? You gain an additional 5 every time you "level up".

Edit: Oh, if you're after people to add to your list then, as mentioned, just post your profile. I don't add people myself since I never chat to anybody unless they initiative the conversation but you can access my profile by clicking on my GAF name.

What? But... Dishonored levels were already tiny compared to the Thief ones.

If Dishonored was a dumbed down Thief 2, Th4if is a dumbed down Dishonored.

I'm finding the game to be about as basic as a stealth game can be-- linear and with no room for experimentation. There have also been some levels with barely any stealth gameplay, chapter 4 in particular was just a string of scripted explosions and chase sequences. There was even a point when the game goes into an Uncharted-style third person view just to be as derivative as possible.

Turfster

chapter 4 in particular was just a string of scripted explosions and chase sequences. There was even a point when the game goes into an Uncharted-style third person view just to be as derivative as possible.
B... B... B... B... B... But...
SQUEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEENIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIX!!!!

Yeah, but when he loses the sub he'll be back to where he was. :p The press sub actually isn't as comprehensive as the master sub Valve employees get as publishers can elect to leave stuff out of it. For example, it has Outrun but not Wheelman.

Do all the Wheelman retail copies register on Steam?

Friend slots? You gain an additional 5 every time you "level up".

Edit: Oh, if you're after people to add to your list then, as mentioned, just post your profile. I don't add people myself since I never chat to anybody unless they initiative the conversation but you can access my profile by clicking on my GAF name.

I always think of adding you while I'm at work so no steam... then I get home and forget..

Arthea

As I still often can't add people on steam, especially those with private profiles, feel free to add me, link to my steam id is in my public profile, as usual.

And it's absolutely true about TF or Dota, just sell some items, and you will be added by people you never heard about (><)

Looking forward to inevitable photoshops that substitute the thumb with something a bit thicker.

don't tempt me! I have work to do

If I get the PAL version of Final Fantasy XIV gifted to me then can I still play it in the US?

I got the PAL/euro version and I'm playing on Ultros in NA no problem. I think it only effects the SE account, for some reason there is a different one for EU/AUS/Other players. I couldn't seem to use the one I previously had for Tomb Raider and Hitman Absolution.

I think I added everyone! If anyone wants to:

http://steamcommunity.com/id/bobnowhere/

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom