• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | August 2016 - No Man's Sky will leave Mankind Divided

Status
Not open for further replies.

MRORANGE

JmoO1ZC.png

HLepZ0y.jpg

Quadrilateral Cowboy
- More_Badass
Four years in the making, the long-awaited old-school hacking cyberpunk game from the maker of Thirty Flights of Loving and Gravity Bone is here. Blendo's new title may retain that signature blocky look, but this time, you're entering a stealth-puzzler with security-cracking decks, lowhigh-tech gadgets, and precisely timed "single-player co-op" heisting. Armed with the best gear and skills, your crew tackles corporate espionage - stealing data, breaking into servers, and the like. And if the campaign isn't enough, Quadrilateral Cowboy comes with Steam Workshop and full mod support

Inside
- More_Badass
How to describe Inside without spoiling anything? Take the grim moody atmosphere of Limbo. Keep the disturbingly stark brutal deaths and cinematic platformer roots. Leave behind the 2D fog-choked silhouetted aesthetic. Replace it with a 2.5D perspective and a bleak grim atmosphere bolstered by a muted color palette and incredible sound design. Then place a masterclass in tension and pacing within that frame, elevated by surprisingly detailed lighting, fluid animations, and one hell of an ending. Polish and sculpt it for six years until it's as lean and finely-tuned as possible. That's Inside. If there was ever a game to go into as blind as possible, at night in the dark with headphones, it's this one.

Deus Ex: Mankind Divided
- Uzzy
Deus Ex: Mankind Divided, developed by Eidos Montreal, is a cyberpunk/post cyberpunk conspiracy thriller action RPG. Following the events of it's prequel, Deus Ex: Human Revolution, augmented humans are viewed with suspicion and mistrust, and segregated from society at large in a 'mechanical apartheid'. You once again play as Adam Jensen, an augmented security officer now working for Interpol as part of a task force investigating augmented terrorism, your augments letting you choose between combat, stealth and social manipulation to achieve your objectives, with consequences for you on your ultimate objective: to uncover the truth behind the chaos engulfing the world, and unmask those behind it all, the Illuminati.

When I first watched the incredible 'Icarus' trailer for Deus Ex: Human Revolution, I was very excited at the prospect the game offered, a near-future cyberpunk world to explore, full of the choice and consequence that the original classic offered, but with updated gameplay for a modern audience. For the most part, it delivered, but had a few awkward edges, most notably in the poorly executed boss fights that nullified some playstyles, and fell just short of real greatness. It still has a great deal to recommend it though, with an incredible atmosphere and soundtrack, along with it's really unique aesthetic. So when a sequel was announced, I was hopeful that the team in Montreal might smooth out those edges and deliver on the original promise. So far, it looks pretty hopeful. The directors cut for Human Revolution showed that they recognised some of that games flaws, and the preview footage for the new game looks very impressive, with wide open, large environments that feel lived in, to explore and tackle in a number of ways. The combat and stealth mechanics have been improved, with a revamped energy system actually letting you use the augmented abilities you possess. Choice and consequence, the bedrock of any great RPG, has also been featured heavily in the preview footage, which certainly reassures me that this game's on the right track. It might not live up to the heights that Deus Ex achieved, but I can see it from here.

THdtbRc.jpg
  • Do not solicit/trade/sell/beg for games in this thread. The discussion of splitting retail packs is fine though.
  • Do not spam post your steam stats/games count or post damage lists from sales.
  • Examples of good posting behaviour and bad posting behaviour.
  • Don't hype pre-order bundles that you have no idea about.Just buy them!
6DGEBFt.jpg
6DGEBFt.jpg
anvsCf6.jpg

Pm me a recommendation, make sure you request first as someone else might have reserved it.

MRORANGE

Pm me a recommendation, make sure you request first as someone else might have reserved it.

modbot linked btw!

giphy.gif

Adnor

Banned
Wait Deus Ex is this month!? I've barely watched anything about it. I doubt I'll get it this year but looking forward to it.

Quakecon hype for next week!

rtcn63

The much-loved and disliked Chapter 09 of The Evil Within.
Ruvik's sporadic appearances
ruin the scenery, although if you remember to manually save after each one, it's not so bad.

And those lockers and their keys. The contents are randomly generated, so it just ends up with you save scumming because anything else but upgrade gel isn't worth it.

I am going into Chapter 10 with maxed sprint and fire harpoons. Probably gonna start investing in match stock and shotgun/rifle damage, especially since I know the game gets more action-heavy from this point on. You have medkits to increase your health and syringes are fucking everywhere so.

zkylon

zkylewd
pretty curious about dx md

i've been not paying much attention to it so it's gonna be fun going at it blind

rtcn63

Deus Ex HR had really, really bad combat. I think you had to click on R3 to zoom your weapon. Like I know it's not combat-focused, but still. Stealth was pretty jank too.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
The much-loved and disliked Chapter 09 of The Evil Within.
Ruvik's sporadic appearances
ruin the scenery, although if you remember to manually save after each one, it's not so bad.

And those lockers and their keys. The contents are randomly generated, so it just ends up with you save scumming because anything else but upgrade gel isn't worth it.

I am going into Chapter 10 with maxed sprint and fire harpoons. Probably gonna start investing in match stock and shotgun/rifle damage, especially since I know the game gets more action-heavy from this point on. You have medkits to increase your health and syringes are fucking everywhere so.

Chapter 9 was so awesome. The only parts I didn't love were a couple of the city segments and that was more because the visuals looked sketchy in those bits.

rtcn63

The crossbow bolts are really useful, though as its my first run, they're relegated to support duty with no upgrading (barring the standard harpoon). Set an electric bolt on the floor and bait a group of enemies towards it, then light a match. Shoot off a flash bolt to delay them (there is a specific section in the game where this can be cheesed to tangible effect).

The exploding bolt I don't care for. Splash damage is a thing because of its unpredictability. Fire harpoon is straight murder.

Tellaerin

I really want to love Ikaruga, but I just can't get into it.

I love Treasure games in general. I love the aesthetic and the polish. It's a really stylish game.

The whole polarity thing just refuses to click with me.

Tried to go back and play it for awhile just now, but I still can't get into the zone with it. Yeah, I know, it's not the game, it's me. Still kind of disappointing.

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
I'm on vacation, which means I may actually post slightly more often, but with shorter messages and more typo's!

August has a lot of promising horror games.

Vlad

I really want to love Ikaruga, but I just can't get into it.

I love Treasure games in general. I love the aesthetic and the polish. It's a really stylish game.

The whole polarity thing just refuses to click with me.

Tried to go back and play it for awhile just now, but I still can't get into the zone with it. Yeah, I know, it's not the game, it's me. Still kind of disappointing.

Stick with it, it kind of just clicks eventually. It's one of those things that just becomes instinctual before you know it.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
Good stuff as always, MRORANGE

Grief.exe

What's the strategy for the month though?

No Man's Sky, Deus Ex, Little King's Story, and whatever else I'm forgetting. This month is too much.

I'm sure Mankind Divided will come up with a perfectly plausible story explanation as to why you don't have any of your upgrades from the previous game and you have to re-earn them.

Platy

Sad month for games ... nothing on my list

edit : Oh ... Overcooked and Batman's Telltale but the latter I will probably wait for reviews a a slight discount =P

morningbus

Serious Sam is a wicked gahbidge series for chowdaheads.
Sorry, I'm late with it, but here's the write up for No Man's Sky:

hUZuLrS.jpg

No Man's Sky - Morningbus

Wait for reviews from people playing on the PC what the hell are you doing you are letting sony fans trick you.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom