• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam breaks 6 million concurrent users.

Des0lar

will learn eventually
I thought so too a few years ago, but that's unlikely to happen now. Valve already chose partners for China and Korea, the two biggest markets. Steam running in China is a no-no, and Nexon has their own client in Korea, so there's likely to be no Steam there. I honestly don't think they thought out their strategy too well.

This has nothing to do with "bad strategy" (lol to even think Valve didn't plan this ahead), but everything with Chinese Law and Korean expertise.

Steam is not known in Asia. Forcing users to install a new client with no apparent benefits would lead them nowhere. In China they have to partner up. In Korea, Nexon is the corporate giant who knows it's stuff. If Valve really wants it, Dota will become huge. Nexon has the power to do so.

Once their chinese Partners get the engines going, expect a huge influx of new players in the SEA region. Micro transactions will make Valve loads of money, no doubt.

Nome

This has nothing to do with "bad strategy" (lol to even think Valve didn't plan this ahead), but everything with Chinese Law and Korean expertise.

Steam is not known in Asia. Forcing users to install a new client with no apparent benefits would lead them nowhere. In China they have to partner up. In Korea, Nexon is the corporate giant who knows it's stuff. If Valve really wants it, Dota will become huge. Nexon has the power to do so.

Once their chinese Partners get the engines going, expect a huge influx of new players in the SEA region. Micro transactions will make Valve loads of money, no doubt.
No.
In China, it's mandatory. In Korea, it's not. Blizzard self-publishes. Riot self-publishes. It's about taking the initiative to do business and understanding the logisitics of doing business in the East. And China has nothing to do with SEA. You can self-publish in SEA, it's incredibly difficult to run live services there for several reasons, none of which are legal.

Ikuu

Had his dog run over by Blizzard's CEO
Valve hasn't been good about eSports and ongoing support in the past, but there has been a paradigm change at the company lately. I do think you should look past their PR though.

They're doing a much better job than they have in the past, and they need to step it up (especially for stuff like CS:GO). Don't think they're going to go down the Riot path and try and run the entire scene themselves, but they've done a good job so far.

Orayn

That doesn't make sense because I thought the whole point of Valve making Dota 2 was to get China to install Steam and then start buying other things when tempted with those <$5 game sales.

Completely wrong, because Valve can't really do business in China with Steam. The point of Valve making Dota 2 was a bunch of people at Valve taking a keen interest in Dota and wanting to do an accessible, faithful, modern re-release. Not quite the cynical cash grab some assume it is.

Please tell me you leave it running while you're at work.

I got it open right now (and I haven't actually played it for at least a couple of hours)! ;)

It's a game that doesn't require full attention at all time at all, it's open pretty much all the time even if I'm not really playing it. It's in the nature of the game that you can have it open while making food of watching tv and still every now and then press continue. But hey, FM is work

http://kotaku.com/5962706/student-gets-a-football-manager-job-based-on-football-manager-prowess

Des0lar

will learn eventually
No.
In China, it's mandatory. In Korea, it's not. Blizzard self-publishes. Riot self-publishes. It's about taking the initiative to do business and understanding the logisitics of doing business in the East. And China has nothing to do with SEA. You can self-publish in SEA, it's incredibly difficult to run live services there for several reasons, none of which are legal.

I never said anything about Korean law if you read my post.

TLDR: In China they did it because of legal reasons. In Korea because Nexon knows what's up.

If DOTA 2 took over League of Legends Valve would have enough money to make all the Half-Life 3s in the world. They could make a thousand Half-Life 3s.

spootime

They're doing a much better job than they have in the past, and they need to step it up (especially for stuff like CS:GO). Don't think they're going to go down the Riot path and try and run the entire scene themselves, but they've done a good job so far.

Valve really has done an amazing job with Dota 2. CSGO not so much

Jawmuncher

Not to sound like a jerk.....But I would have thought this was done ages ago.
Also seriously at the Football Manager? Game must be all kinds of awesome i'm just missing out on.

DTKT

If DOTA 2 took over League of Legends Valve would have enough money to make all the Half-Life 3s in the world. They could make a thousand Half-Life 3s.

It's going to be interesting to see how the the two games evolve once DOTA 2 is officially out.

Orayn

Sure? I just don't know why anyone would expect Dota 2 to post higher numbers than League when its player footprint is so much smaller.

Being in not-open beta will do that to a game. I'm not saying it's going to beat League, but the numbers are going to be pretty impressive when it's fully released in all planned territories.

Tomat

Wanna hear a good joke? Waste your time helping me! LOL!
Could we not turn another thread into a LoL vs DOTA thread pl0x?

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
Didnt Leage of legends initially threaten to block people from competing in LoL if they competed in Dota 2? Thats the smell of fear.

More like the smell of pro gaming organizations wanting that sweet Riot support money and those huge viewer numbers. But yeah there was talk of that but it was a whole bunch of denials and supposed misunderstandings so who the fuck knows.

Dead on arrival because the CS community has decided ages ago that they are going to overzealously stick to their preferred variant of Counter-Strike whether a superior version is released or not.

I believe it's not sucessful because it lacks a completed ranked system.

Exuro

So this is supposed to be impressive right?
Think about it like this. In 2010 the peak users, during the xmas sale which normally has the highest number of users online, was nearing 3.5 million.

I do wonder how new consoles will affect Steam's userbase.

Nome

Dead on arrival because the CS community has decided ages ago that they are going to overzealously stick to their preferred variant of Counter-Strike whether a superior version is released or not.
I don't think this is right.
If Valve says that there are more CSGO players than 1.6 and Source, AND that Source has more players than 1.6, then that means the game failed to captivate its audience. It means (most likely) that 1.6 and Source players tried GO, didn't like what they saw, and left.

Sentenza

How does this compare to origin, live,psn ect.?
Last time I heard about Origin, they were boasting about 10 million accounts with no mention of concurrent users.
There are probably more accounts now, but most likely they aren't anywhere near Steam.

About XBL, they have roughly the same number of users (50-60 millions) but this is counting even Silver account. Roughly a third of that number are Gold users (it was 17 millions Gold users last time I heard an official source about it).

When it comes to PSN is even more hard to make a comparison, as they have more accounts than anyone else, but then again their accounts are entirely free and every user can have several of them. As far as I know they never gave a number about how many of those have purchases or paid services.

Anyway, letting aside any silly argument about who has more or less: yes, it is impressive. And not "impressive for a dying platform/minor market" or any bullshit like that. It's impressive by any standard.

Kade

How does this compare to origin, live,psn ect.?

In terms of registered accounts, Steam is comparable to Live and PSN. In terms of people concurrently playing games, it's probably the same as well but Live and PSN each have 2-5 games where the active playerbase most likely makes up 75% or more of the population (For the 360, Black Ops 2 having 600,000+ concurrent players on each platform during peak hours, Halo 4 with 250,000+ and the other one or two games having 100,000+) and the rest of the community is scattered across the remaining ~25% which is every other game that has online multiplayer and isn't shut down yet. There are also a lot of really popular PC games that are not available on Steam or have their playerbases divided between Steam versions and non-Steam versions so Steam would obviously only pick up on those with the Steam version. Don't know about Origin's numbers but BF3 is the most popular game on there and a lot of people say it has 100,000+ concurrent players at peak.

It's probably not fair to compare Steam to XBL and PSN though since the latter two are the only services that you can use on their platforms to play online while the PC has two or three major ones depending on whether you consider Origin a major platform or not.

I thought so too a few years ago, but that's unlikely to happen now. Valve already chose partners for China and Korea, the two biggest markets. Steam running in China is a no-no, and Nexon has their own client in Korea, so there's likely to be no Steam there. I honestly don't think they thought out their strategy too well.

lol

First of all I'm sure the main reason the went with those parties is so they have people to do the ground marketing of the game for them, like how Square-Enix distributes Rockstar's games in Japan.

Secondly it seems that Valve doesn't seem to be emphasizing Steam over Dota 2, and rather instead of holding back Dota 2 in its biggest markets in Asia, they are making it sure that it is available to them now. Granted, they won't be able so sell them of other games through Steam but it's the best thing to do for the game as the game developers themselves. Holding back Dota 2 because of Steam now can make some of the Dota fans to convert themselves to LoL-ism instead.

Also this isn't really surprising for Valve. Remember that they did come out with Half-Life 2 and CS arcade machines for the Japanese arcade market.

hl2s.jpg

counterneo.jpg

And LoL is the king of the hill. Dota 2 isnt even close right now. Major shifts would have to happen for the idea to even be remotely entertained.

Such as Dota 2 entering open beta, and Dota 2 having a Chinese version. It will definitely kill Heroes of Neweath, no question, and I think it will give League of Legends a definite run for its money within the next 24 months.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
Such as Dota 2 entering open beta, and Dota 2 having a Chinese version. It will definitely kill Heroes of Neweath, no question, and I think it will give League of Legends a definite run for its money within the next 24 months.

It going open beta isnt gonna make that big a difference since there is a glut of keys out there. China might make a difference, but LoL already has a decent Chinese base and they own Korea.

RiverBed

Banned
How come multi-million selling games like CoD have so little Steam users? It had to sell at least a million on PC and half of those must be playing it online and how many non-Steam vs Steam PC copies are out there? I realize it is day-to-day stats, but the game JUST released.

Sentenza

How come multi-millions games like CoD have so little Steam users? It had to sell at least a million on PC and half of those must be playing it online and how many non-Steam vs Steam PC copies are out there? I realize it is day-to-day stats, but the game JUST released.
CoD isn't *that* popular on PC and unlike the console version it's becoming less and less popular year after year.
But just to put things in perspective, "at least a million sales" would imply *at best* 100,000 concurrent users in the first days.

Now, anecdotal evidence isn't the best argument, but let me just point that out of roughly 200 friends I have on Steam, barely five bought the game.
I could pick pretty much any other game and have twice as much.

Durante

CoD was on the decline on PC for a long time, after BF3 it fell of a cliff.

Anecdotal evidence warning: everyone I know (here in Austria) who is into that kind of game is playing BF3.

RiverBed

Banned
Really? I thought I saw something in the news stating that BLOPS2 sold 11 mill or something, and it isn't even a month old. I presumed at least 1 mil. would be on PC. Is the disparity of multiplats that large between PC and consoles? I always thought if PC numbers are low, it is because it is hard to track sales on an open platform compared to a closed one.

How come multi-millions games like CoD have so little Steam users? It had to sell at least a million on PC and half of those must be playing it online and how many non-Steam vs Steam PC copies are out there? I realize it is day-to-day stats, but the game JUST released.

Because we know better.

pc_master_race.PNG

Kade

CoD isn't *that* popular on PC and unlike the console version it's becoming less and less popular year after year.
But just to put things in perspective, "at least a million sales" would imply *at best* 100,000 concurrent users in the first days.

Pretty much. Black Ops II is the first CoD game that didn't hit 100,000 at all since 2009. Peaked at 65,000 the weekend after it came out and 51,000 this weekend.

How come multi-million selling games like CoD have so little Steam users? It had to sell at least a million on PC and half of those must be playing it online and how many non-Steam vs Steam PC copies are out there? I realize it is day-to-day stats, but the game JUST released.

All versions of Call of Duty after Modern Warfare 2 require Steam so what you're seeing is everyone.

Top Bottom