• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam breaks 7 million concurrent users, up 1m from this time last year

No.

You have to manually log into Steam. It doesn't log itself in. The password can't be saved.

In other words, the application itself can load on startup, but it will only take you to a login prompt. You don't get into Steam to be counted without intending to by way of entering your password.

Er, no. It definitely saves the password, the prompt only appears if logged in another computer.

QaaQer

It's impressive because it shows continued buy-in into the steam ecosystem despite Valve not paying for marketing, PR media manipulators, 3rd party exclusives, etc. I mean imagine if MS tried the same tactics with their xbox or surface stuff.

It really is astounding.

kartu

Banned
It's impressive because it shows continued buy-in into the steam ecosystem despite Valve not paying for marketing, PR media manipulators, 3rd party exclusives, etc. I mean imagine if MS tried the same tactics with their xbox or surface stuff.

It really is astounding.

They have 50-70% of PC gaming market, many games are bound to steam, whether you are aware of its existence or not, so no need to advertise.

Momentary

Banned
Over 1.6 million in game right now and over 7.140 million with the client open. It's steadily climbing because of the new dailies that are about to hit in 5 minutes. The numbers might shoot up to 7.2 million.

You got millions ready to buy shit.

There aren't 150 million people using their consoles right now....

(also 150 million? How do you arrive at that number anyway? 360 + PS3? Other consoles don't exist?)

Also Steam also doesn't account for all games on PC. League of legends has more concurrent players than on both consoles combined. Then you have blizzard games etc.

Derrick01

Banned
If someone else said it, I'd agree except:

Yuck now I feel dirty for even slightly agreeing.

But why would have steam up when your not using it. Having a bunch of crap on start up really isn't good and slows down your pc.

I have a modern PC made with high end (well, at the time anyway) parts so I'm not very worried about slowdown. Besides I run barely anything else, when I'm not using a browser I usually only have 42 processes running.

Plus Steam's my main instant messenger client now so I have to keep it open lol.

ESCWFqa.gif

what the fuck

Anno

Regardless of how big the raw number is that's still some pretty strong y/y growth. Valve has always been content playing the long game and doing their own thing, don't see that stopping now. Dota alone seems to have converted a number of people at my work from playing just console games.

Love how salty the console warriors are whenever Steam post big gains year-to-year, just trying to downplay how big the service is.

Love how salty the console warriors are whenever Steam post big gains year-to-year, just trying to downplay how big the service is.

It does come off poorly arguing against it but I think the only reason people try is people are paying $50+/ year and PSN and XBL get over 1.6 million users online gaming all at once.

MW2 alone when it came out had a over 2.2 million users online post Christmas. It doesn't devalue the accomplishment but please understand why it happens. Those were all paying customers. Then after the peak of COD alone the game routinely get 500,000 alone on XBL during peak times still. I.e. launch day after Christmas.

LX_Theo

Banned
I said it before, I'll say it again... Being "online" for steam is so much easier than other services. The number is misleading, since many of those just have it on in the background.

Momentary

Banned
thats actually much much lower than what i thought.

Hey look guys! Another downplayer.

Anyways, 3 years ago people were getting hype for 3.5 million being the max. Having 7.2 million users on concurrently means there's more people with gaming capable PCs now.

I don't give a shit if they're idling or not. People who say PC gaming is dying are dumb as a mound of donkey turds. low end PC sales are dipping, but gaming hardware is on the rise. This number, along with other stats, are proof of that.

I said it before, I'll say it again... Being "online" for steam is so much easier than other services. The number is misleading, since many of those just have it on in the background.

So what? It still means PC gamer numbers are increasing.

Hey look guys! Another downplayer.

Anyways, 3 years ago people were getting hype for 3.5 million being the max. Having 7.2 million users on concurrently means there's more people with gaming capable PCs now.

I don't give a shit if they're idling or not. People who say PC gaming is dying are dumb as a mound of donkey turds. low end PC sales are dipping, but gaming hardware is on the rise. This number, along with other stats, are proof of that.

I wouldn't be so sure. Does concurrent users count people on Steam mobile? Not that they make up anywhere near a majority of that increase, but still.

I don't understand why it bothers people though. Do they see PC gaming as a threat somehow? I don't get it at all.

They do, at least as of late. That's why they are shitting up PC gaming threads more than ever these days. Anyway, I despise console gamers. For me, they're somewhere between a cockroach and that white stuff that accumulates at the corner of your mouth when you're really thirsty.

Because, as usual for every group of fanboys, PC fanboys try to play it off as something much bigger than it is.

This is it. It just comes off as hollow or meaningless to many. No sense in arguing about it it's just PR.

Valves Steam numbers are the equivalent of Sony's PlayStation family or Microsoft saying the biggest day in Xbox history, They give no frame of reference, no standard. They are spin essentially.

coldfoot

Banned
I think the concurrent users in a game number is more impressive. What was the record for that? 2-3-4M?
Steam makes PC gaming easier despite not being its own OS, the steps they took are pretty nice.
Now I hope their next step of actually becoming a console happens, although I have no hopes for anyone developing games on Linux.

It does come off poorly arguing against it but I think the only reason people try is people are paying $50+/ year and PSN and XBL get over 1.6 million users online gaming all at once.

MW2 alone when it came out had a over 2.2 million users online post Christmas. It doesn't devalue the accomplishment but please understand why it happens. Those were all paying customers. Then after the peak of COD alone the game routinely get 500,000 alone on XBL during peak times still. I.e. launch day after Christmas.

True. However there isn't really a reliable single stat tracker for PC games. If you combine the number of people playing everything; from Battle.net and Wow, to Quakeworld and Quake Live, to Battlefield games on Origin, to every MMO with a decent subscriber base; then add Steam, you would see that the platform is huge. It's certainly more fragmented, but a lot of people who game mainly on PC actually prefer it that way.

KMS

I wouldn't be so sure. Does concurrent users count people on Steam mobile? Not that they make up anywhere near a majority of that increase, but still.

If I'm on my phone and have my computer logged in it still only counts as one person online as it's only counting my account once. If you think mobile shouldn't be counted as online I've been buying games all weekend from my phone which is what this is all about to game makers(money). If your computer is on you can remote install as well which is cool for when you finally get home.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
If you combine the number of people playing everything; from Battle.net and Wow, to Quakeworld and Quake Live, to Battlefield games on Origin, to every MMO with a decent subscriber base; then add Steam, you would see that the platform is huge.

No bringing logic into the argument!

Does everything have to get twisted into some fanboy shitfight?

Are you new to GAF? This has happened forever. ;P

But you're right, it's considerably worse now than even the last generational launch.

Novak

Good job Valve.
Now make Steam controller competitive vs. kb+m and i am 100%. Or make developers create gamepad only servers.

Until then PC only for SP and xbox (or ps) for MP.

Top Bottom