• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam breaks 7 million concurrent users, up 1m from this time last year

LX_Theo

Banned
Jesus Christ

Every thread

Does this happen for other concurrent numbers threads? Its interesting. I don't think anybody is even claiming that there are more people playng games on it than Battle.net or even LoL, never mind entire other gaming platforms.

Does everything have to get twisted into some fanboy shitfight?

Because this wasn't turned into a fanboy shitfest in the very first post, with stuff like that gif.

True. However there isn't really a reliable single stat tracker for PC games. If you combine the number of people playing everything; from Battle.net and Wow, to Quakeworld and Quake Live, to Battlefield games on Origin, to every MMO with a decent subscriber base; then add Steam, you would see that the platform is huge. It's certainly more fragmented, but a lot of people who game mainly on PC actually prefer it that way.

True as well. Really everyone on GAF knows the truth at the end of the day. People play games.

I guess once you leave behind your emotions this is a great thing to celebrate if you appreciate steam as all these numbers can be used for is to measure engagment of their user base. I think we can all agree their users are engaged and this lays credence to that.

Clawww

Because, as usual for every group of fanboys, PC fanboys try to play it off as something much bigger than it is.

It's just a substantial increase that's being noted and celebrated. I don't see anyone trying to make it anything more than that, so please stop talking out of your ass. Unless you think that Vince McMahon gif is some deadly serious console-war artillery.

Zimbardo

i've been idling on Steam for the last 5 hours. i idle on there all the time.

but i also have over 500 games bought on Steam over the last few years.

that's roughly 490 more games than i bought on PS3 and Xbox360 combined.

so big deal about idling. as long as people are buying games ...that's the main thing right?

Sentenza

People somehow seem to assume that these (roughly) 70 millions of Steam users are all idling (and I'm not even sure why it should matter, when a growth still is a growth) while the 17 millions of XBL Gold subscribers are CONSTANTLY PLAYING SOMETHING ALL THE TIMES.

True as well. Really everyone on GAF knows the truth at the end of the day. People play games.

I guess once you leave behind your emotions this is a great thing to celebrate if you appreciate steam as all these numbers can be used for is to measure engagment of their user base. I think we can all agree their users are engaged and this lays credence to that.

Yeah, of course. To me this is mainly interesting for tracking the growth of Steam itself, rather than being some validation of the preeminence of PC gaming, praise Gaben hallowed be his name. Because I already know that the platform is doing well enough to keep getting games I want to play, I don't really care about which platform is winning; whoever it is, I feel like I'm winning and that's what really counts.

LX_Theo

Banned
It hurt your feelings?
Nah, I'm a steam user myself. I just think the fanboy fighting is stupid as ****.
can't believe you took that gif seriously
even me who couldn't care less about console and pc wars found this gif funny
Then, from the other perspective, its just more fuel to the bitchfest, which makes it annoying. Not that I care that much. I was more pointing it out to the person complaining about it.

I have steam on by default.

Why are we happy that a company is getting more digital distribution market share dwarfing the competition? Isn't choice the best, or so is the consensus from the console wars where having two rivals fighting gives us better games. In this case it would apply for better sales or better services.

I'm not really happy with what steam/valve did with CS: GO skins, for example. They suddenly get a huge revenue boost yet keep the same shitty tickrate servers for competitive. With the money boost I expected some actual inversion.

The Dota 2 effect.

They have 50-70% of PC gaming market
Nope, 50% of the 'boxed physical retail' type game market maybe, but LoL alone has 4 times the number of concurrent players than all of steam in-game combined.
Hell, almost half the concurrent players are playing just Dota 2.

Momentary

Banned
I have steam on by default.

Why are we happy that a company is getting more digital distribution market share dwarfing the competition? Isn't choice the best, or so is the consensus from the console wars where having two rivals fighting gives us better games. In this case it would apply for better sales or better services.

I'm not really happy with what steam/valve did with CS: GO skins, for example. They suddenly get a huge revenue boost yet keep the same shitty tickrate servers for competitive. With the money boost I expected some actual inversion.

... Valve's the only one that posts numbers. Man, I know Amazon, GMG, and Origin get my PC bucks too. People are looking at this as more as an increase in PC gaming... not a celebration of Valve taking over the PC gaming world.

Shtof

Just logged out of Steam. Haven't played a game on there for months anyway, and I don't think there's any need to boast about "logged in" users.

I'd like to add a detail some might overlook. When my PC is on I'm logged into Steam but not the messenger so I'm not online. This number almost definitely doesn't include people like me, and I play games often. It's actually fairly common to do this.

Shambles

i've been idling on Steam for the last 5 hours. i idle on there all the time.

but i also have over 500 games bought on Steam over the last few years.

that's roughly 490 more games than i bought on PS3 and Xbox360 combined.

so big deal about idling. as long as people are buying games ...that's the main thing right?

Buying games is the real game on steam. Playing them is just a fortunate side affect.

Nethaniah

Given the conditions to be Steam user and being online, not really. Its good, yes. But some huge thing like some are trying to make it out to be? Not really by any logic.

Thanks for more proof.

Thanks for more salt, the fact that you people can't let one positive pc related thread go by because of the fake hype of these new consoles without raining down upon us with your negative bullshit just show how insecure you truly are.

LX_Theo

Banned
Thanks for more salt, the fact that you people can't let one positive pc related thread go by because of the fake hype of these new consoles without raining down upon us with your negative bullshit just show how insecure you truly are.

lol, you really think that, don't you?

bj00rn_

Banned
Since E3 it has not been possible to mention the Xbox One or the Wii because everything is immediately wacka-moled into the ground, same with PC as shown in this thread. "HOW DARE YOU TALK ABOUT PC?". The amount of juvenile bullshit going on is a bit much.¨

Anyway, I'm disappointed by the amount of shallow logic displayed. It doesn't take much to understand that not all PCs comes with Steam.. It's just one of many distribution channels on the platform.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
All Hail our lord gaben!

uiAeTeK.jpg

The rate of growth does seem to have dropped though, wasn't it only like 5 or 6 months between 5 and 6 million, while 6 and 7 took a solid year? Also, its amusing that Dota 2 alone accounts for 1/4th of all active players at any one time.

LX_Theo

Banned
Who exactly is trying to make it into something it isnt in this thread?

Besides you, I mean.

Speaking of which, what do you even think I'm trying to say? Or do you just have your panties into such a bunch that anything that isn't praising it is now some attack on it?

Fun facts: 'PC boxed download' only account for 21% of the $20 billion 2012 PC gaming revenue
Edit: ~5% of PC users use steam. (60 of 1,165 million 'active players' whatever the PCGA definition is)
(24% social, 54% MMO/F2P, Sources: newzoo/PCGA)

FACE

Banned
All Hail our lord gaben!

http://i.imgur.com/uiAeTeK.jpg[img]

The rate of growth does seem to have dropped though, wasn't it only like 5 or 6 months between 5 and 6 million, while 6 and 7 took a solid year? Also, its amusing that Dota 2 alone accounts for 1/4th of all active players at any one time.[/QUOTE]

It did drop, but not that much. Steam hit 5 million CUs in the beginning of 2012 and 6 million near the end of the year, it was roughly a 10 months gap.

Glass Rebel

Speaking of which, what do you even think I'm trying to say? Or do you just have your panties into such a bunch that anything that isn't praising it is now some attack on it?

Nobody knows what you're trying to say but everyone can see what you're saying, intentionally or not.

They do, at least as of late. That's why they are shitting up PC gaming threads more than ever these days. Anyway, I despise console gamers. For me, they're somewhere between a cockroach and that white stuff that accumulates at the corner of your mouth when you're really thirsty.
Oh my

All Hail our lord gaben!

uiAeTeK.jpg

The rate of growth does seem to have dropped though, wasn't it only like 5 or 6 months between 5 and 6 million, while 6 and 7 took a solid year? Also, its amusing that Dota 2 alone accounts for 1/4th of all active players at any one time.

This picture is so good I'm going to make it my facebook cover.

LX_Theo

Banned
Nobody knows what you're trying to say but everyone can see what you're saying, intentionally or not.

So yes, the people who are acting like I'm attacking it are not paying attention to what I've said.

My first post in this thread...

I said it before, I'll say it again... Being "online" for steam is so much easier than other services. The number is misleading, since many of those just have it on in the background.

That, only that. What is WRONG with you people?

My major contribution to this thread is noting that there are probably more people playing Blizzard games and LoL than every Steam game.

But you've got your whole perception of what's happening here all set up and ready to go, so please, do continue.

Feel free to not avoid the question next time.

Snakeyes

Awesome numbers. Now Gabe just needs to do a pilgrimage to Japan and entice the third parties over there to start taking the platform seriously.

BLunted

Banned
I don't understand why it bothers people though. Do they see PC gaming as a threat somehow? I don't get it at all.

Console guys are just bitter. Up until the consoles launched, they were talking a lot of shit about how consoles were going to eclipse PC quality gaming.

Now that has ended up not being the case, they do not look forward to being regarded as gaming "peasants" for another generation, so they look to collectively overrun any positive PC related threads(e.g. Nvidia thread, NFS: Rivals PC performance thread, etc...).

There are some PC guys who can't help but fuel the fire though. There is plenty of blame on both sides.

LX_Theo

Banned
There are a million more users logged in than last year.

You're pointing out that these people mostly aren't playing games. Which everybody who has ever used Steam and most people who have heard of it already knows.

And so, the concept of the thread still is:

So it took you until I reposted my point for you to actually know what I'm talking about when you're attacking me? The next step would be attacking me with something relevant to the point I'm making.

Glass Rebel

So yes, the people who are acting like I'm attacking it are not paying attention to what I've said.

My first post in this thread...

That, only that. What is WRONG with you people?

It's ok. You thought that you brought up something novel and thought nobody except you took it into account, threw in fanboy accusations in the mix and caught feelings when people called you out. Take that L like a man.

Top Bottom