• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam breaks 7 million concurrent users, up 1m from this time last year

I have bought games from GOG but almost always i just forget that i even have them. I have actually bought games twice because of this. First time from gog and second time from steam sale. The download, install and play process is easy enough but it's not steam easy.

I would like to support it more but there is not much to support. The (new) game selection is very small and publishers won't put their games there.

I put all my games in my steam library even if they aren't steam games.

syko de4d

what´s still suprise me is that Steam is working without any marketing at all. What would happen to Steam if they start with stuff like Dota2 TV or Youtube ads? Or are there some countrys with Steam ads?

I mean they must do some marketing when they launch Steam Machines, or?

I wonder how pc piracy numbers stack up against actual sales. Almost all of Asia is buying pirated discs because that's all that is available in the market.

Anteater

I wonder how pc piracy numbers stack up against actual sales. Almost all of Asia is buying pirated discs because that's all that is available in the market.

Steam is available in asia though and their support has been pretty good, there are no region lock shit (other than a few games not available like metal gear rising) and it also don't require waiting for games to be "localized" so there's no need to buy retail discs.

Unless you're talking about regions where people don't have good internet access.

syko de4d

haha people who thought steam sale or free l4d2 was the reason for the fast 500-600k jump :D

current 7,760,916
peak 7,805,657

Momentary

Banned
It has consistently been over 7,000,000 the past few days. I think 7,000,000 is the new 6,000,000. It's getting close to 8,000,000. I think we'll hit it before the summer sale.

Nzyme32

maybe... but i think early access games and alphas/betas for kickstarter games brings alot of new people to steam. Rust+Dayz+starbound in the same month :)

That's interesting. I'm in two minds about whether the early access trend being so prominent is a good thing. I heard bad things about Godus being rarely updated contrary to their promises, but on the other hand, people are ecstatic about the games you've listed

pirata

It's freakishly cold in most of the US (even here in Austin, it's going to get down into the 20s or maybe even the teens tonight), so I bet a lot of people are staying inside playing games.

Mudcrab

It's freakishly cold in most of the US (even here in Austin, it's going to get down into the 20s or maybe even the teens tonight), so I bet a lot of people are staying inside playing games.

This post reminds me of that guy who claimed a certain WiiU game wasn't selling well because it was really hot in Japan and people didn't want to go outside.

7,805,808 peak today...nice
Edit:
Weird, I only see 7,805,667:

TRxNesr.png

nick380

Neo Member
If I had a nickel for everytime I heard that haha. PC gaming never really died in my opinion. It always had games to play, and now with f2p on deck there's a game for everyone to enjoy with anyone!

PC Gaming is dead.

PC Gaming is dead because configuring options is so difficult.

PC Gaming is dead because keyboards and mice are so tricksy.

Lol!!!! I wouldn't be suprised with such a small library of games.

Clearly the availability of next-gen consoles has increased Steam's growth rate :p

Top Bottom