• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam breaks 7 million concurrent users, up 1m from this time last year

Gamerloid

As a generalization, it is true that PC gaming is more popular in the West than Japan. The West has had a bigger tradition of PC gaming than Japan. Particularly from large developers. Nintendo is largely to blame for the lack of appeal of PC gaming in Japan.

Nintendo started a trend of video gaming being associated with consoles. And Sony continued it. And now consoles are losing popularity, and handhelds and tablets are gaining in popularity.

However, PC gaming still exists as a phenomenon in Japan. Visual Novels are still being created and are very popular. MMORPGs are still very popular in Japan. Final Fantasy XIV is a very demanding PC game. As are many other popular MMORPGs in Japan. The doujin industry is as vibrant and successful as ever, and Touhou is one of the most successful gaming franchises in Japan. Touhou is similar in theme and popularity to My Little Pony in Japan. Though I would argue even more popular most likely. There are millions of pieces of fanart and millions of fans of Touhou. Comic and hobby conventions in Japan are dominated by Touhou.

There's certainly not a non-existent PC gaming audience in Japan. Also, mobile and PC gaming are becoming more alike. You can play a Steam library of games on a Windows tablet with a keyboard.

If a Japanese gamer plays Ikaruga on Steam with a Windows tablet, that is mobile gaming.

Ultrabooks are also "mobile" devices. Many of them have detactable keyboards and simply work as tablets. And ultrabooks are an emerging and very successful market. And are becoming very powerful gaming platforming. The Razer Edge is a mobile tablet device, and is a very capable gaming PC. You could play Final Fantasy XIV on it. I anticipate before too long, you'll be able to play most Steam games on a $300 tablet.

Keep preaching HolyBaikal! Japanese Culture Expert indeed!

Bf4 player count

PC 85,744
PS3 72,569
XBOX360 76,805
XBOXONE 31,000
PS4 42,797

http://bf4stats.com

Jeez guys you aren't doing it right it should be :-

PC = 85,744
CONSOLES RULEZ = 223,171

That's right it is only correct when you lump several completely incompatible systems altogether and then face them up against the PC.

BTW for the record the PC version was at 114,000 users a couple of hours ago.

As a generalization, it is true that PC gaming is more popular in the West than Japan. The West has had a bigger tradition of PC gaming than Japan. Particularly from large developers. Nintendo is largely to blame for the lack of appeal of PC gaming in Japan.

Nintendo started a trend of video gaming being associated with consoles. And Sony continued it. And now consoles are losing popularity, and handhelds and tablets are gaining in popularity.

However, PC gaming still exists as a phenomenon in Japan. Visual Novels are still being created and are very popular. MMORPGs are still very popular in Japan. Final Fantasy XIV is a very demanding PC game. As are many other popular MMORPGs in Japan. The doujin industry is as vibrant and successful as ever, and Touhou is one of the most successful gaming franchises in Japan. Touhou is similar in theme and popularity to My Little Pony in Japan. Though I would argue even more popular most likely. There are millions of pieces of fanart and millions of fans of Touhou. Comic and hobby conventions in Japan are dominated by Touhou.

There's certainly not a non-existent PC gaming audience in Japan. Also, mobile and PC gaming are becoming more alike. You can play a Steam library of games on a Windows tablet with a keyboard.

If a Japanese gamer plays Ikaruga on Steam with a Windows tablet, that is mobile gaming.

Ultrabooks are also "mobile" devices. Many of them have detactable keyboards and simply work as tablets. And ultrabooks are an emerging and very successful market. And are becoming very powerful gaming platforming. The Razer Edge is a mobile tablet device, and is a very capable gaming PC. You could play Final Fantasy XIV on it. I anticipate before too long, you'll be able to play most Steam games on a $300 tablet.

Too bad indifference from Valve and Japanese publishers will never let steam be popular in Japan. And in turn PC gamers will still have to port beg for Japanese games. :(

Sianos

Moving the goal posts in a silly manner once can be funny and ironic, but when you do it multiple times it just loses the humor and makes it seem you're almost serious.

Having more options and more competition is good for everyone. Especially when said option is catered more to the enthusiast "hardcore" gamer crowd that wants the best graphics and the most intense gameplay experience fine-tuned to their personal preference.

An example of this competition would be in the sales department: Steam sales are magical time of universal discounts and happiness and Indie Bundles are inexpensive, for charity, and give great exposure to indie devs. However, lately I've been noticing increased sales for console games (albiet not the same extreme level... yet). Hooray! We're all winners!

Sianos

The other 80% are buying games they'll never play for $5. Steam is dooooooooooooooomed.

PC gaming isn't about playing games anyways, its about buying games at massively discounted prices and basking in the money you "saved". It's like meta-Pokemon with hilariously invasive megatransactions.

The increased cost in building a rig is easily offset by the literal thousands of dollars I saved on games, marking my collection down from $2400 to $400 over the last generation. Hooray for money!

PC gaming isn't about playing games anyways, its about buying games at massively discounted prices and basking in the money you "saved". It's like meta-Pokemon with hilariously invasive megatransactions.

The increased cost in building a rig is easily offset by the literal thousands of dollars I saved on games, marking my collection down from $2400 to $400 over the last generation. Hooray for money!

I buy lots of games and play regularly BUT they are always the same games lol. DOTA 2, TF2, BF4 mostly.

Sianos

I buy lots of games and play regularly BUT they are always the same games lol. DOTA 2, TF2, BF4 mostly.

I spend the large majority of my gaming time playing TF2, despite owning 200 other titles I'd love to try.

TF2 is just so familiar and comfortable yet alluring with its eight distinct classes and also the Heavy.

I spend the large majority of my gaming time playing TF2, despite owning 200 other titles I'd love to try.

TF2 is just so familiar and comfortable yet alluring with its eight distinct classes and also the Heavy.

Pretty much though I do plan on playing Starbound this week :)

Every time some one brings in numbers showing popularity as a factor in backing up the validity of their opinions, I am reminded that at one time each episode of American Idol had 24 million people watching.

What do you mean indifference from valve and japanese publishers?

Also, I've seen plenty of Japanese games do well on steam... like dark souls + ys.

Indifference on not localising games for Japan and not Japanese pubs not releasing them on PC.

Dark Souls was an anomaly which was only released after the petition reached thousands of signatures, Which almost never happens for a Japanese game. Ys was already on PC so it was easy enough to bring on Steam.

Time to get some more recent numbers in here:
PCGA said:
slide1bvrrz.png
From a different source (includes console hardware, and categorizes x86 tablets/laptops as mobiles, hence the discrepancy)
other reports sum up differently, like splitting MMO/F2P/social away, but in general the numbers agree.

Table 1. Video Game Market Revenue, Worldwide, 2012-2015 (Millions of Dollars)
Code:
Segment			2012	2013	2014	2015
Video Game Console	37,400	44,288	49,375	55,049
Handheld Video Games	17,756	18,064	15,079	12,399
Mobile Games		9,280	13,208	17,146	22,009
PC Games		14,437	17,722	20,015	21,601
Total Video Game Market	78,872	93,282	101,615	111,057

And from a nice US centric report (warning: large PDF)

So I think Steams future looks quite rosy even without considering growth potential in Asia

Nzyme32

I hope that wasn't meant in a negative or sarcastic way.

If so, thank you!

Well I support you as well. Japanese devs are severely lacking on Steam. I think a lot of people including myself would love Japanese content, whether with English dub or subs. Its a shame that the examples of those that have come to steam have been poorly supported or ported across. Konami are getting onto things a bit with Castlevania but again it had its issues. I expect that to change somewhat with Metal Gear Rising, since it's taking a long time (and is totally not going to show up at CES 2014 and the Steam Machines...please..) I was over the moon a little while ago when we managed to get Ikaruga greenlighted.

Fingers crossed Valve push for it!

Soule

What an entertaining read this thread turned out to be, I couldn't imagine there'd be a meltdown when I opened this thread. I did however expect the usual doubting of statistics or downplaying of them, either/or usually one of the other happens. Feels longer this time from 6 -> 7m than 5 -> 6 was though I wonder how much longer it can keep up this rate of growth.

From a different source (includes console hardware, and categorizes x86 tablets/laptops as mobiles, hence the discrepancy)
other reports sum up differently, like splitting MMO/F2P/social away, but in general the numbers agree.

Code:

So I think Steams future looks quite rosy even without considering growth potential in Asia

Not sure about those PCGA numbers. Anything with and x86 architecture is classified as a PC.

Code:

dat source:

"Online and PC games remain popular but this segment is limited in overall size. Gartner expects that traditional PCs will not be replaced by newer PCs in households, but by tablets. This will lead to a progressive reduction in the installed base for PC games as game players adopt other device types as their primary computing platforms."

"Online and PC games remain popular but this segment is limited in overall size. Gartner expects that traditional PCs will not be replaced by newer PCs in households, but by tablets. This will lead to a progressive reduction in the installed base for PC games as game players adopt other device types as their primary computing platforms."

Eh, I don't see it happening. Many users will use tablets as companion devices but there will always be a PC in the house serving as a main hub for work and media.

dat source:

Gartner still projects a desktop PC game sale growth, albeit one that's slowing down.

CreepyUncleReturns shitposting like it was /v/.

why is it whenever I hear people argue "PC has no exclusives" it's always the people that then talk about Sony exclusives. I've never heard someone say "PC has no good exclusives like Mario and Zelda"

Sentenza

why is it whenever I hear people argue "PC has no exclusives" it's always the people that then talk about Sony exclusives. I've never heard someone say "PC has no good exclusives like Mario and Zelda"
I guess it doesn't help their cause that every single Nintendo game except for Wii U titles is playable on a PC, in some cases even better than on native hardware.

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE

Sony fans were radicalized by the PS3's poor performance during the first half of last gen. The Vita's ongoing failure is also unhelpful.

As I said in another thread, "my exclusives are better than your exclusives" is the last line of defence if you run out of actual arguments when faced with hard data. Nothing more.

Top Bottom