• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam Controller overview and videos/impressions

Status
Not open for further replies.
Are you from Europe by any chance? Anyone in Europe who has actually heard their Gamestop pickup is ready for tomorrow? I haven't heard anything (they almost always call/text the day before) and I don't have high hopes for tomorrow either.

Sorry, I'm in the U.S. I just figured that I would give them a shot on the offhand that I could sneak in a preorder today and somehow be able to pick one up tomorrow.

More than possible I reckon. Left pad for WASD, right pad for 4 abilities, L1/L2/R1/R2 for 4 more abilities, XYAB for mount, interract/accept quest, loot, and something else?

Can play a Warrior with one hand as it is, so this shouldn't be too hard.

OMG why didn't I think of trying WoW with this controller?! Will be fun to tinker with.

Tenebrous

I'm excited to try trigger button modifiers, sort of like Dragons Dogma special abilities. Four abilities for XYAB, four more for L1 plus XYAB, four more for R1 plus XYAB, etc.

Yep. Could just do what I said but with the left grip for control and the right grip for shift. Suddenly, 12 binds becomes 36. Honestly though, I don't think I'll bother with the steam controller for WoW. I can just collect garrison resources and do my daily CDs in 15 minutes on my PC anyway, haha.

Waiting to see the first video of someone beating a Brutal bot on SC2.

Krejlooc

Banned
I'm excited to try trigger button modifiers, sort of like Dragons Dogma special abilities. Four abilities for XYAB, four more for L1 plus XYAB, four more for R1 plus XYAB, etc.

You can only set 1 modifier per button set at the moment. Meaning you can have ABXY, and either L1 + ABXY, R1 + ABXY, L2 + ABXY, R2 + ABXY, L Grip + ABXY, or R Grip + ABXY, but not all of them.

trillbo

I'm in Mayo. Never checked tracker or anything. Just got a dispatch email from Gamestop yesterday and it arrived at lunchtime today.

I'd bet its waiting at home for you.....

Edit: just realized you're home already. Weird. I've no idea why I've gotten mine then!

Ah, Gamestop. I ordered from Steam myself. No sign of it today, so hopefully it'll get here tomorrow. Enjoy yourself!

Tenebrous

You can only set 1 modifier per button set at the moment. Meaning you can have ABXY, and either L1 + ABXY, R1 + ABXY, L2 + ABXY, R2 + ABXY, L Grip + ABXY, or R Grip + ABXY, but not all of them.

Can set Ctrl, Alt & Shift through the interface though, right? That's all WoW would need.

Krejlooc

Banned
Can set Ctrl, Alt & Shift through the interface though, right? That's all WoW would need.

yes, you can set other buttons to ctrl, alt, and shift, but mode shifting, where ABXY (or the analog stick or the 2 touch pads) become entirely different inputs only works with 1 button.

Each part of the pad that can be mode shifted can have a different mode shifting button, however. You can mode shift the analog stick with the right grip and mode shift the abxy buttons with the left bumper, as an example. Or set both to the left bumper. But you can't make right grip have one ABXY settings, and left bumper have a second set of ABXY settings.

Not yet, at least.

Tenebrous

yes, you can set other buttons to ctrl, alt, and shift, but mode shifting, where ABXY (or the analog stick or the 2 touch pads) become entirely different inputs only works with 1 button.

Each part of the pad that can be mode shifted can have a different mode shifting button, however. You can mode shift the analog stick with the right grip and mode shift the abxy buttons with the left bumper, as an example. Or set both to the left bumper. But you can't make right grip have one ABXY settings, and left bumper have a second set of ABXY settings.

Not yet, at least.

So you're saying I can't do Shift 1/Shift 2/Shift 3/Shift 4 and Ctrl 1/Ctrl 2/Ctrl 3/ Ctrl 4 using ABXY and two triggers?

Krejlooc

Banned
So you're saying I can't do Shift 1/Shift 2/Shift 3/Shift 4 and Ctrl 1/Ctrl 2/Ctrl 3/ Ctrl 4 using ABXY and two triggers?

you can do that using ABXY and 1 trigger.

Make A = ctrl + 1 (there is a button in the steam config called "multi-button" that lets you hit button combinations)
B = ctrl + 2
X = ctrl + 3
Y = ctrl + 4

then make, say, LB the mode shifting button, when you press the mode shifting button, you are basically presented with an entirely new set of ABXY buttons you can set

so you'd set A = shift + 1
B = shift + 2
X = shift + 3
Y = shift + 4

but, what might be perhaps better, is to make

A = 1
B = 2
X = 3
Y = 4

then make one trigger be ctrl, and another trigger be shift.

ALTERNATIVELY, the left analog stick has one extra feature not on the 4 face buttons - a second "outer ring" shift, where, once you pass a threshold, a certain key is automatically hit.

so you could make a little tilt in the cardinal directions be:

up = 1
down = 2
left = 3
right = 4

then, the outer ring modifier be shift, so if you hit the stick all the way, you get

up = 1 + shift
down = 2 + shift
left = 3 + shift
right = 4 + shift

then use mode shifting to present yourself with yet another blank analog stick, which also has it's own outer ring binding. In this way, you can turn the analog stick into 16 different inputs... but it's not optimal.

ricki42

but I have an ubuntu box and the steam controller was recognized immediately on it.

Glad to hear it! I was a bit worried when a while ago they were looking for help to make it work on Ubuntu. The bug reports mainly sounded like an issue with permissions though, so it shouldn't be too hard to fix. Could this be the problem with the Suse install as well?

Krejlooc

Banned
Glad to hear it! I was a bit worried when a while ago they were looking for help to make it work on Ubuntu. The bug reports mainly sounded like an issue with permissions though, so it shouldn't be too hard to fix. Could this be the problem with the Suse install as well?

I've given myself super user privileges when trying my steam controller in SUSE. I think the problem might be a lack of steam controller specific drivers, I'll see if installing steam on the box fixes things after lunch.

Ahh, I get it now.

Seems like it's just best (for WoW at least) to skip the controller modes entirely then. I'll post my WoW UI in a bit.

Don't forget you can use "mode shifting" in game as well. For GW2 what I was thinking of doing is binding my face buttons, then Left grip would just be registered as Cntrl, right grip is registered as Shift, then bind my other skills to be Shift/Control + #.

ricki42

I've given myself super user privileges when trying my steam controller in SUSE. I think the problem might be a lack of steam controller specific drivers, I'll see if installing steam on the box fixes things after lunch.

I thought it works as kb&m by default without the need for drivers? And I don't know if it's you who needs the write-access, or some other group. Have you tried the udev rule posted in the launchpad bugreport?

laxu

I really hope it arrives tomorrow. Finnish post office is notorious for taking several days for a package to travel from one town to another despite it coming just as fast from another country. Their shitty tracking also doesn't play ball with international ones so the GLS page has seen no updates.

Tenebrous

Don't forget you can use "mode shifting" in game as well. For GW2 what I was thinking of doing is binding my face buttons, then Left grip would just be registered as Cntrl, right grip is registered as Shift, then bind my other skills to be Shift/Control + #.

Probably wouldn't need it. Here's my current WoW keybindings.

oDF2gIt.jpg

Here's my binds.

Q - Charge
W - Smash
E - Mortal Strike
R - Whirlwind
ShiftQ - Rend
ShiftW - Execute
ShiftE - Victory Rush
ShiftR - Pummel

1 - Hamstring
2 - Sweeing Strikes
3 - Roar!
4 - Storm
Shift1 - Rage
Shift2 - Shout
Shift3 - Throw
Shift4 - Retal

` - Ground Mount
Shift` - Flying Mount
Alt` - Water Mount
Z - Battle Stance
X - Defensive Stance

AltQ - Health
AltW - Intervene
AltE - Clap
AltR - Reck

There are other binds, but for basic play, I can do without heroic leap, spell reflect, heroic throw, and my engineering parts.

What I'm thinking is...

Right grip - Alt
Left grip - Shift
Right trigger - Enter
Left trigger - Mount
Right bumper - (Z/X [I'll make a new macro]) Stance toggle
Left bumper - Interact/quest macro

Left pad - WASD & mouse click.
Right pad - QWER
ABXY - 1234
Analog stick - ???

That would work, right?

ducksauce

Anybody try this with Mass Effect? I'm also curious to see how Elder Scroll Online plays with this.

I play like 95% of my PC games on the couch with a controller and Big Picture Mode so this thing was made for me. I have games that require a kb&m but they usually get ignored so I'm way more likely to play them with this.

Also I think the biggest issue we'll see with some games (especially older ones) is that the UI will be too small to read from the couch.

Edit: never mind about ESO, didn't realize it will be getting proper controller support in a few weeks anyway.

The Cowboy

What a disappointing day, get home from work and no controller or a "we tried to delivery your package, but you weren't home" card :(.

Dam you RM and dam you Game - i wanted my pad a day early.

Anybody try this with Mass Effect? I'm also curious to see how Elder Scroll Online plays with this.

I play like 95% of my PC games on the couch with a controller and Big Picture Mode so this thing was made for me. I have games that require a kb&m but they usually get ignored so I'm way more likely to play them with this.

Also I think the biggest issue we'll see with some games (especially older ones) is that the UI will be too small to read from the couch.

Edit: never mind about ESO, didn't realize it will be getting proper controller support in a few weeks anyway.

There's also that new mod for Mass Effect that add controller support.

Is there a separate Link thread to ask these questions:

-what is the lowest resolution I can run the link in? I was hoping maybe to get 480i to run through a VGA connector into arcade machines. I'd be able to use a stronger computer downstairs to run it.

-any way to run a PS3/PC joystick through it?

I searched for a Link thread and didn't see one. I'm mainly curious to see how things work for the Link with games that aren't 100% big picture games, like uplay games and games that go straight to launchers before you can play them. As an example, I know a lot of people getting links and controllers (like me) are excited to get their Civ on, but Civ V has a launcher that asks you if you want to play in DX9 or DX11 mode first.

Is there a separate Link thread to ask these questions:

-what is the lowest resolution I can run the link in? I was hoping maybe to get 480i to run through a VGA connector into arcade machines. I'd be able to use a stronger computer downstairs to run it.

-any way to run a PS3/PC joystick through it?

480p I think. You can set it in Steam.

I don't know about those. It has xinput emulation, so you can do DS3 and DS4 etc, but joystick, no idea.

mbmonk

Called the GameStop I preordered at but they say the street date for November holds. Just gotta see what happens.

I called GS and the guy said they only have 1 preorder on the books. He told me to call back tomorrow once they know how many controllers they have. He seemed to think they would have extras.

Eusis

I called GS and the guy said they only have 1 preorder on the books. He told me to call back tomorrow once they know how many controllers they have. He seemed to think they would have extras.
I'm hoping they lift the street date or the guy was wrong, last thing I want is that to get there only for no one to get them due to an arbitrary street date. Especially if most others don't have to sweat it, including other GameStops.

I'm with you. I've been stuck at that phase for awhile now and ordered within the first 2 hours. Still hoping they send it next day since im only a state away.

I'm only a state away as well. Maybe there's a method to their madness to ensure that everyone receives their controllers tomorrow. Here's hoping.

Just pre-ordered at two gamestops. One knew about the early release one didn't. The one that did is calling customer service to see about getting them here by maybe Monday since they didn't have any for tomorrow's release. We will see.

kodecraft

Just pre-ordered at two gamestops. One knew about the early release one didn't. The one that did is calling customer service to see about getting them here by maybe Monday since they didn't have any for tomorrow's release. We will see.

Gotta get dat controller huh.

bee

hmm didn't know it'd be out this early, to people in the UK where did you pre order that's shipping them now? i can see steam has it for £40 and game.co.uk.... , well lets not even go there, are these the only two?

Blizzard

Banned
So I have an Xi3 Piston. Remember those? It was the very first announced "steam machine" before valve came in and said "nope, it's not a steam machine."

fV7wK66.jpg

Came in this morning. Pre-installed with Suse.

The steam controller doesn't work on the thing, lol. Only device I own that flat out won't recognize the steam controller. Maybe I need to install steam in Linux... but I have an ubuntu box and the steam controller was recognized immediately on it.
Did you try lsusb to see if it's even showing up as a USB device with no driver?

Are all GS stores receiving stock tomorrow regardless if the store has any pre-orders or not?

Called the GameStop I preordered at but they say the street date for November holds. Just gotta see what happens.

I called two different GS around me and was told 11/10 by both. Both said they were still taking preorders, but they don't know anything about releasing tomorrow. The first one I called the guy at first said he thought they were coming out tomorrow, then checked his computer and said that Steam Machines are launching tomorrow and that the controller/Steam Link were November 10th. So I guess I'll maybe try calling them again tomorrow to see if for some crazy reason they got stock, but I'm not counting on it.

Eusis

I called two different GS around me and was told 11/10 by both. Both said they were still taking preorders, but they don't know anything about releasing tomorrow. The first one I called the guy at first said he thought they were coming out tomorrow, then checked his computer and said that Steam Machines are launching tomorrow and that the controller/Steam Link were November 10th. So I guess I'll maybe try calling them again tomorrow to see if for some crazy reason they got stock, but I'm not counting on it.
I hope we at least see some sort of rollout over the next month rather than NEEDING to wait until the 10th. Less than a month isn't an awful wait, but this thing was announced quite awhile ago too. :/

Unai

I searched for a Link thread and didn't see one. I'm mainly curious to see how things work for the Link with games that aren't 100% big picture games, like uplay games and games that go straight to launchers before you can play them. As an example, I know a lot of people getting links and controllers (like me) are excited to get their Civ on, but Civ V has a launcher that asks you if you want to play in DX9 or DX11 mode first.

Well, if you are getting the controller too, just use its right trackpad as a mouse in the launcher.

Qassim

Finally got movement on my shipment, both my GLS and Parcelforce tracking are active and on my Parcelforce tracking page it says the shipment is 'express 24', looks like it started moving earlier today (14:00 - NL time I presume) so perhaps it will arrive tomorrow if it gets in the UK before midnight.

hmm didn't know it'd be out this early, to people in the UK where did you pre order that's shipping them now? i can see steam has it for £40 and game.co.uk.... , well lets not even go there, are these the only two?

Yeah, it's either Steam or GAME. Valve charges £7 for delivery.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom