• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam Controller overview and videos/impressions

Status
Not open for further replies.

Phinor

No preorder bonus for me either although it says something on the invoice about an email.
Please let me know what customer services says.

Picked up mine from Gamestop and no pre-order bonuses either so if anyone gets a reply from Steam support, let us know.

So Gamestop didn't inform me about the pickup being available at all. Decided to check with them anyway and they had controllers ready for early pre-orders. You can't check availability through their site because the pre-order controller has a different stock code than the controller (with availability starting November 10th) they currently have on their site. This in Europe btw., no idea if it applies elsewhere.

Woodsie with RTS gameplay: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w3Cs-ThG3Ck

8bit

10/16/2015 - Didn't get to stream last night, may just do a double tonight and get all the games in. I did test Elsword and it appears to not work with the Steam Controller at all. Like the controller goes completely unresponsive when the game starts. No idea why, and I've put in a bug report on it. I'll slot in Deus Ex: Revision in it's place.

LOL tried Tomb Raider 2013, none of the default bindings felt right and I don't have time to mess about atm. Weren't any community ones either :/

Trying out Bioshock Infinite now.

Fantastapotamus

Wrong about commas, wrong about everything
Sort of? It goes into place and it's held there but there is a little gap. I think there's supposed to be though.

Like this? It just feels weird to have this gap here
Edit: Problem solved

Ok mine's not anywhere near as big :/ are your batteries flat inside? Like tucked all the way in to the handles?

Also booted up Portal 2 as I couldn't get the hang of Infinite either, this is VERY weird. I'm not surprised initial impressions from journalists who just got it were poor because I feel like it's going to take quite a while to get used to. I can see how it would be more precise than a traditional controller already, though.

No, I had them stick out way too much. Was too afraid to push them in, but you really need to force the little bastards.
Lol, failing to put the batteries in. My-oh-my

Ok mine's not anywhere near as big :/ are your batteries flat inside? Like tucked all the way in to the handles?

Also booted up Portal 2 as I couldn't get the hang of Infinite either, this is VERY weird. I'm not surprised initial impressions from journalists who just got it were poor because I feel like it's going to take quite a while to get used to. I can see how it would be more precise than a traditional controller already, though.

Edit: Problem solved

No, I had them stick out way too much. Was too afraid to push them in, but you really need to force the little bastards.
Lol, failing to put the batteries in. My-oh-my
Yup, I was really worried at first but I just thought fuck it. You have to REALLY push them. Glad you've got it sorted though :)

For anyone else, you can tell you've got them all the way in because the little eject handles push all the way down and you can see them get thinner at the top.

MNC

Oh man, I can totally imagine a new "My DS4 analog sticks are flaking!" -> "My Steam Controller battery pack can't fully close!"

Oh man, I can totally imagine a new "My DS4 analog sticks are flaking!" -> "My Steam Controller battery pack can't fully close!"
Well I mean the DS4 flaking was a legit issue :p had it happen to two of my launch controllers. The White DS4 I've bought since and my SO's black one which he got a few months after launch are fine despite similar usage.

Wallach

Mine should be arriving today. Woo!

I'm really hoping to be able to create a cool custom GW2 profile for this thing. Will post some impressions this evening.

Fantastapotamus

Oh wow, I didn't know that battery gap is a freaking button :'D
Snake just dove off a clive cause I accidentally pressed that thing.
Is there a way too up the sensitivity on the touchpad?

Postie for me!

From Game's Support:

Aaron Du said:
You should be receiving codes for this later today
Huh, about the GAME codes - was this if we pre-ordered within a specific time period? I pre-ordered shortly after they went up on GAME, and before they announced Portal 2/Rocket League if that's what you're referring to. Unless it's something else?

iceatcs

My GLS tracking updated recently with movement at 14:00 as well, but the date says the 14th not the 15th so I guess it was a day late in updating.

Oh yeah, mine says the 14th too. That gives me maybe a little more hope that it'll come tomorrow.

If you don't have "Loaded to vehicle for delivery" (on Parcelforce) or "Out for delivery" (on GLS) this morning, it might likely going to miss today.

MaxiLive

Huh, about the GAME codes - was this if we pre-ordered within a specific time period? I pre-ordered shortly after they went up on GAME, and before they announced Portal 2/Rocket League if that's what you're referring to. Unless it's something else?

I did as well. But when I contacted support a few weeks back they said we should get a codes for Portal 2/Rocket League as well :)

I haven't had a chance to play with it yet (need to fix my computer first) but the built quality on the controller is absolutely woeful. Everything's clicky clacky, the stick and face buttons feel fine but everything else feels incredibly cheap and tacky. I don't think I'll be able to use it without headphones, way too distracting.

ZanDatsu

This is just an anecdote that's fallen into my lap after a conversation with the postman, but I'm from a small country (Northern Ireland) and the postman actually felt the need to ask me if I would mind telling him what was in the box because he's been delivering these exact boxes all morning, at least 20 of them he said.

Anyway, gonna open it now and give it a good testing!

I did as well. But when I contacted support a few weeks back they said we should get a codes for Portal 2/Rocket League as well :)
Cool, thanks :)

Right, NOW we're talking. Made a custom binding for TR2013 based on Mouse and Keyboard input, this feels good. I'll tweak it a bit more later before I upload it.

hepburn3d

U.K. Here. Just arrived. Missed the parcel though.

It begins.

Edit:

Are we getting an official thread? Or are we continuing here? I don't want to miss any details on this new controller

The controller feels great but I'll need to sit down to get it to work with Dark Souls and Arkham City. I tried both games just now and it felt like it has potential but I need to tinker with the controls more.

Does anyone know how to change the control settings for using the controller in Windows? I want to increase the trackpad sensitivity and rebind some buttons.

JoeBoy101

Got a weird situation. My Link is nearly here, having arrived in Durham and will head out for delivery today.

My controller though hasn't moved from Illinois, though both got there at the same time. Is it possible that they are together and they are just updating the link tracking? I hope... i hope

Does anyone know how to change the control settings for using the controller in Windows? I want to increase the trackpad sensitivity and rebind some buttons.

You can't rebind it when using it on desktop. It has its default settings and that's it. Don't recall anyone talking about sensitivity though. As the trackpad is seen as a mouse, have you tried the regular mouse settings?

Miff

Link & Controller just arrived *woop*. Packaging actually looks really good to me, not cheap, and well designed. The equipment feels high quality. Satisfyingly weighty, thick sturdy plastic, and little touches (such as the rubber pad on the bottom of the Link) are really nice. Controller feels perfect in my (fairly large) hands, not too big at all.

Only concern atm is how loud the pad/paddle/shoulder buttons are- they sound louder clicking a mouse.

Can't test yet, but will share feedback later.

hepburn3d

Got a weird situation. My Link is nearly here, having arrived in Durham and will head out for delivery today.

My controller though hasn't moved from Illinois, though both got there at the same time. Is it possible that they are together and they are just updating the link tracking? I hope... i hope

Most likely not updated. I checked mine last night and it said nothing. Checked today and there's 2 days worth of movement suddenly tracked.

You can't rebind it when using it on desktop. It has its default settings and that's it. Don't recall anyone talking about sensitivity though. As the trackpad is seen as a mouse, have you tried the regular mouse settings?

I'm worried that changing the mouse settings would affect my normal mouse. I'll give it a go later.

I'm guessing the rocket league and portal 2 codes are only for steam pre-order people?

I had to order through Gamestop in Ireland, steam didn't take pre-orders from here at the time/

Fantastapotamus

Push the steam button -> configure controller. And you need to be in BPM.

Ah, see that was the problem.
Thanks
It's interesting. Playing MGS V with the controller functioning as M/T. It works pretty well tbh though it requires some time to get used to it.

jeffers

Postie for me!

From Game's Support:

Aaron Du said:
You should be receiving codes for this later today
Ahh didn't see the message. Saw the parcel force delivery had been, so wanted to know if with waiting around at work for the royal mail (...hoping it hasn't been)

Nymerio

76Yu7N2.png

Can't wait to get home!

kadotsu

Banned
My controller just arrived. Feels good. One thing I noticed that could be potentially bad is that when you click down on one of the track pads the mouse cursor moves slightly down, which is not very precise.

I'll tinker with the settings in the next few days but the mouse emulation is a game changer in therms of using my PC as a multimedia device.

luffeN

The controller came but the GLS guy did not contact me, yay! Didn't even leave it at a drop off shop. Gonna wait until Monday, thanks!

ZanDatsu

In BPM when you go to the power button to exit BPM or turn off PC etc there should be an option.

Got it, thanks. Maybe because I've been using Controller Companion so much I just expected there to be more of a built-in interface for interacting with Windows in general. Seems everything is tied to being in Big Picture mode, which I probably should have expected.

Fantastapotamus

Yeah, Valve needs to find a way to do that stuff (configure controller, turn it off etc.) outside of BPM. That's the biggest problem I have so far.
I don't want to start BPM every time I want to use the controller

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom