• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam Controller trailer, $50

Raide

Übermatik;166438417 said:
I refuse to approve of the concept until I try it... Still, it looks very promising.

100% this.

Until I try using it with the games I play, it looks too weird.

mrqs

I would buy that. Any news about if it is PS4 compatible?

I wouldn't buy one JUST for PC. But if i can use on my PS4 too, would be awesome.

here's the updated store page: http://store.steampowered.com/app/353370/?cc=us

Looks good. I assume it's wireless?
And what type of battery does it use?

• Dual trackpads
  • HD haptics
  • Analog stick
  • Dual-stage triggers, each with 10° of travel, a magnetic flux sensor, and a tactile switch
  • Gyroscope and accelerometer sensors enabling tilt-to-steer racing wheel functionality and other motion-controlled input
  • Configurable controls
  • Local multiplayer capability, as supported by games
    [*] Wired or wireless (dual mode)
    [*] USB 2.0 via Micro USB port (cable not included)
    [*] Estimated 5 meters of wireless communications range. Actual results may vary.
    [*] Provides up to 80 hours of standard game play using the included AA batteries during preliminary testing. Battery life will vary based on usage and other factors, such as type of batteries used. Actual results may vary.

In-box

• Steam Controller
    [*] 2 AA batteries
    [*] USB wireless pairing dongle

mnannola

I'm sold. I think being able to easily download configurations from the community will be a godsend for indie titles that don't have controller support out of the box.

Pre ordered both this and Link just to try it out. No idea if it will be good or terrible but its the kind of thing I want to experience myself

Nzyme32

Already preordered via GAME because it releases almost a month earlier. Got my hopes pinned on this working out well enough for the lounge and mouse games. Also looking forward to seeing the dynamic firmware get tuned up over time

Looks good. I assume it's wireless?
And what type of battery does it use?

If it is as they said last time, it is bluetooth but with some sort of custom stack for reduced latency - you can use standard bluetooth and not get the reduced latency, but there should a dongle that comes with it should you want the reduced latency. Steam Machines apparently have that capability built in

Not a Jellyfish

but I am a sheep
Got to play with this at PAX East being primarily a console player there was a learning curve to it.

Overall didn't get to spend enough time with it because the Dyling Light demo was so short but still intrigued to use it further.

statham

looks good, but the witcher part, lots of movement on the right thumb, for that game a standard controller IMO would be better.

The Cowboy

They used Game (for the UK) - the place that won't let you just buy the bloody controller on its own.

I hate Game, they do this crap all the dam time.

I'll wait for reviews but if it all works out I'd love to get this and the steam Link if it means I can play my pc games on my loungeroom TV and surround sound setup.

SigSig

I kind of need this. Even if the first iteration won't be perfect, this looks like a much needed evolution of the traditional controller.

What's more important than this post, however:
What is the robot game being played in coop?

Looks more promising than the original versions and early iterations. Hoping it works out.

There hasn't been a lot of innovation in gamepad design and function in several generations. Since the 2 sticks, dpad, 4 face, shoulder buttons layout, every other addition (pressure sensitive triggers, touch screen, etc) have all been small evolutions on the design and haven't changed much. Even if this controller doesn't work well, hoping it introduces some new concepts.

Looks good to me.

I'm willing to try anything at this point.

I hate KB+M for 3rd person games and I hate analog stick controllers for 1st person games.

I need that middle-ground controller to bridge the gap. Hoping this is it.

jwk94

I kind of need this. Even if the first iteration won't be perfect, this looks like a much needed evolution of the traditional controller.

What's more important than this post, however:
What is the robot game being played in coop?

ASSAULT ANDROID CACTUS!!! It's out now in Early Access but it's just about done. The game comes out on PS4, Vita, and I believe Wii U later this Summer.

yuraya

Trailer was really well done. I liked it.

Really hope they can pull this off. Dual analogues are clunky and archaic as hell at this point.

Agree 100%

Dual analogue sticks are like the worst thing in the history of gaming. They just suck on so many levels. The faster they die the better off the industry will be.

Top Bottom