• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam Controller trailer, $50

rpcdrag0n

I do hope this turns out to be great - I've pre-ordered the link and controller having fallen out of love with being hunched over a PC of an evening, but do really miss some of the game types.

I've been picking up some stuff in bundles and sales in anticipation e.g. Civ 5, Cities Skylines, The Banner Saga and loads more.

Roll on October!

Miff

I've been saving Wasteland 2 for my Link / Controller combo. The directors cut is due out October I think? Good timing.

Going to invest in some power-line network adaptors too. This is probably the first time in about 7 years that I've actually invested in my living room setup. Really looking forward to gaming on a large screen rather than anti-socially disappearing into my upstairs box room.

rpcdrag0n

Going to invest in some power-line network adaptors too. This is probably the first time in about 7 years that I've actually invested in my living room setup. Really looking forward to gaming on a large screen rather than anti-socially disappearing into my upstairs box room.

Considering whether I need to pick some up too - I currently stream media via wireless to the router and then wired to device, which works just fine. Wondering if that wireless link from PC to router will hold up when using the steam link.

Arondight

Nothing really new, but a short interview with Robin Walker from PAX

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t8lulsNbZ_E&feature=youtu.be&a

Haven't been following the controller in depth but hearing about the two stage clicks for the triggers where you press for scope and then press to the second stage again for firing is something I've never thought about and sounds intuitive though not sure how it's going to affect games that might be better with longer trigger distances.

My main concern about the controller is how comfortable it is to hold, how it feels before I plan on purchasing it. Hope it's more of a grip like design. Looks like it in the video.

Haven't been following the controller in depth but hearing about the two stage clicks for the triggers where you press for scope and then press to the second stage again for firing is something I've never thought about and sounds intuitive

Yeah, they show it in the trailer during the Wolfenstein segment. I'm just wondering if I want to hip fire, then I would have to use the other trigger?

though not sure how it's going to affect games that might be better with longer trigger distances.

You can set the triggers

HLwknTz.png

It looks cheap but the idea of it is great. Will it work for mac?

Haven't been following the controller in depth but hearing about the two stage clicks for the triggers where you press for scope and then press to the second stage again for firing is something I've never thought about and sounds intuitive though not sure how it's going to affect games that might be better with longer trigger distances.
From memory the gamecube had these two stage triggers didnt they?

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
Is it wireless? If so, what's the connectivity? I preordered one on day one. I wish I had it now.

Yes, it's wireless and also works wired. It comes with its own dongle. They say its range is estimated around 5m, but it varies. I wish the OP would have put the store link in the OP, because these questions keep popping up and I'm tired of always answering them.

I hope so too but you don't hear anything about that game. Even the backer forum is basically dead.

Damn. That's sad to hear. I guess most kickstarters end up delayed but I was hoping this one would be different\one of the few I had actually been paying attention to during their campaign.

This is a Steam Link question, what do you think the best setup would be: Wired PC wirelesly transmitting to an unwired Steam Link or wireless PC wirelessly transmitting to a wired Steam Link. Basically, what is most important to be hooked up directly to the network, the Steam Link or the PC?

undu

This is a Steam Link question, what do you think the best setup would be: Wired PC wirelesly transmitting to an unwired Steam Link or wireless PC wirelessly transmitting to a wired Steam Link. Basically, what is most important to be hooked up directly to the network, the Steam Link or the PC?

Depends on the wifi controller on each device, it may matter if they cannot reach the same throughput (speed).

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
Yes, it's wireless and also works wired. It comes with its own dongle. They say its range is estimated around 5m, but it varies. I wish the OP would have put the store link in the OP, because these questions keep popping up and I'm tired of always answering them.
Thanks. New OT?

When In-home Streaming went live a lot of people used the setup of wired host - wireless client, but as undu said, it depends.

Thanks. New OT?

I might put together an overview thread, but Nzyme will make the OT before they ship.

Bl@de

Damn. That's sad to hear. I guess most kickstarters end up delayed but I was hoping this one would be differentone of the few I had actually been paying attention to during their campaign.

Well my hope is that they have bad marketing/PR and focus on finishing the game. After all the budget is rather small and they switched to Unity 5 during developement. So maybe it will still release in Q4/15 or Q1/16.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
I'm of the opinion that you will have a better experience in November than the guys in October. I'm guessing it will take some time for solid bindings get going on certain titles, but I'd also expect a bunch of updates and fixes since the thing is so software driven and Valve typically need to do that stuff over time.

I'm not sure why your bothering. If you only play controller based games, are happy with analogue sticks for mouse look with auto aim assistance, browsing, messaging etc, are happy to use a keyboard and mouse when that is all that will work even in a lounge setting and have no interest in playing mouse + keyboard oriented PC games that won't work with a controller, there is little benefit to get from the Steam Controller. Otherwise it is a solution to a long standing issue. Whether it is good enougg or not is anyone's guess

As for Link, that is only useful if you don't have a separate machine for streaming or if you want something super portable to place as a streaming device. The Xbox One will inevitably do PC game streaming, if it will be any good or not will only be known whenever people get it.

I was initially curious about the link and preordered before MS announced streaming from Xbox to PC, so I didn't have any exoectation that they might allow streaming the other way. Ordered the bundle simply because the GAME preorder was reasonable value.

I don't only play controller games, but mouse and keyboard games I'm happy to play on my PC, especially if they have small UI that better suit sitting close to a monitor

Nzyme32

I was initially curious about the link and preordered before MS announced streaming from Xbox to PC, so I didn't have any exoectation that they might allow streaming the other way. Ordered the bundle simply because the GAME preorder was reasonable value.

Worse come to worse, you can just sell it on. Especially if you are in the early batch of users

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
Hmm sadly I get it in November but I will test some stuff I have installed right now. Might & Magic X, Risen 2/Gothic 1-3, Wasteland 2 and mabye other PC games.
I actually play MMX on my tv with an Xpadder profile and it's not too fiddly. The key is that you can attack with number input like an MMO, so buttons work well in a way that something like Grimrock wouldn't.

mm04

Anyone else get that email asking for confirmation of your shipping address?

It's happening!

I actually did last Tuesday. Looking forward to it. I'm specifically waiting on playing some games to give myself the option of which controller feels better on initial play through.

Pachimari

Anyone else get that email asking for confirmation of your shipping address?

It's happening!
Lots of people have gotten that mail, I think more than a week ago. There's also a newer thread but unfortunately I'm on mobile and on the go right now. :(

haveheart

Banned
It says est. shipping date October 16th. However, GLS still says that there's no shipment available now... I do not see it shipping from the Netherlands to Germany within two days... :(

Just built my first htpc. Was thinking of getting a wireless XB360 controller for certain games ... but this is really tempting. I'll be excited to read what you all think of it.

Top Bottom