• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | December 2015 - _ Diretide Greetings and Happy Holidailies

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tizoc

The series gets better in regards to boss battles but I will always prefer AA's game-in-a-fortress versus the big hubworld that the batman games ended up becoming. Arkham City is great, Oranges is good but gets a little too much love for what it is, and I haven't played AK but it seems to be as well received as Oranges minus the part where it's an unoptimized mess on PC.

I liked Blackgate but it's definitely a flawed gem of a game

Arkham Knight doesn't seem so bad from what I 'played' of it on my lappy...at 20 FPS :p

It's definitely a value proposition that you have to asses on a game by game basis.

You can't just say that one particular game is garbage because it has microtransactions. Do they effect your experience? No, then there isn't an issue.

I'm not sure how this effects this scenario, just a general discussion point.

Microtransaction like F2P and MOBA has become trigger words on this site. Bring them up and expect immediate negative reactions insted of just thinking a bit, waiting and seeing.

thread title: X game announced, is F2P
1st post is I'm out, F2P meh without even knowing what exactly the business model is, because obviously every F2P is bad!

thread title: X implements microtransactions
post Fuck P2W! without even reading the OP and knowing if it's cosmetics only

thread title: X announced, is a MOBA
post meh MOBA, because we know they're not games and they're all bad anyway

eh, skins are inoffensive. while i'd prefer a way to unlock them like you could with most games back in the day, I also prefer it to pay2win style unlocks that even shit like The Last of Us had.

I also think that skins and cosmetics should all be included in Season Passes but those things continue to get crappier and crappier. I remember getting the Gears of War 3 season pass for cheap and getting like, one skin with it or some shit.

I dunno, i'd rather they just charge $65-$70 for games if they feel like theyre not getting enough cash at retail for their games but it's not like charging more for games is going to stop these business practices. meh.

The Last of Us had the absolute worst path of microtransactions, with perks and weapons being part of their nickel and dime scheme. To make matters worse, it seemed like there was no package purchase that could alleviate it. It really was nickel and diming, except that it was more like dollar and fiver-ing.

I don't have a problem with cosmetics but I prefer drops that are marketable. You run the risk of stinking up your player population, but finishing a match to find real money at the end is pretty nice.

What game would be maximum comfy for a snow day?

Banished would be perfect, but I've already played the hell out of that game.

Are these snow days anything like hurricane days?

I almost had to put on pants to let my dogs out this morning. Almost. Ah, December.

Microtransaction like F2P and MOBA has become trigger words on this site. Bring them up and expect immediate negative reactions insted of just thinking a bit, waiting and seeing.

thread title: X implements microtransactions
post Fuck P2W! without even reading the OP and knowing if it's cosmetics only

If its a 60$ game and it suddenly adds cosmetics, I think it deverses criticism.

MUnited83

For you.
With cosmetic microtransactions in fullprice games I have an issue. First you pay 60$ at launch, then instead of letting you unlock these, you should buy a new skin/color palette/mask for another money besides the seasonpass or real content DLC they still offer.

I really hated that in Borderlands 2. Their DLC scheme was the worst. Mask-DLC, a seasonpass that doesnt even include everything, fucking level-cap DLC etc.

Thing is: most games before didn't actually have any cosmetics options like, at all. Go check the old Call of Duties. And besides, you can unlock them without money. The game already has free drops, it always had, they just made it now possible to buy more of them with money. And they even increased the ammount of in-game currency you get now.

I really fail to see the outrage here, especially if people were fine with how the game was at launch, which was objectively worse.

If its a 60$ game and it suddenly adds cosmetics, I think it deverses criticism.
But it didn't. It had them since launch. And they can be gotten for free. They can actually be gotten even easier for free with the update.

Isn't this reaction basically correct though? Outside of a few....how many MOBAs actually are moderately successful?
The queueing time in Heroes of the Storm really makes me feel the game is dying. I used an new alt account to bring my newcomer friend to play quick match, but we've never get matched against players of similar levels, only above.

Isn't this reaction basically correct though? Outside of a few....how many MOBAs actually are moderately successful?

People aren't reacting negatively to them, because they don't think they'll be succesful, but because they don't like MOBAs period. It's the same with MP games. This site is heavily SP console focused, so yeah...

Fairly certain I ran into a bunch of cheaters in BLOPS 3 today. Unfortunately, not certain enough to report them. I did check out the Steam profile pages of a couple of them and one dude had folks accusing him of cheating for months. Not surprising I guess.

Grief.exe

If its a 60$ game and it suddenly adds cosmetics, I think it deserves criticism.

Justify that position and why you feel you should have ownership of that content.

Be careful, citing historical precedent is a fallacious trap. IE games used to unlock content for free.

I'm hardly a fan of these AAA publishers, but as long as microtransactions don't effect the gameplay, then I don't have a problem with it.

The masks in B2? Afaik you can just unlock some of them and the "cool" ones you need to buy.

Well of course! How else would they get people to buy them?

Thing is: most games before didn't actually have any cosmetics options like, at all. Go check the old Call of Duties. And besides, you can unlock them without money. The game already has free drops, it always had, they just made it now possible to buy more of them with money. And they even increased the ammount of in-game currency you get now.

The masks in B2? Afaik you can just unlock some of them and the "cool" ones you need to buy.
Or are you talking about CoD?

Justify that position and why you feel you should have ownership of that content.

Be careful, citing historical precedent is a fallacious trap. IE games used to unlock content for free.

I would cite historical PC-Games of course. I am used getting new content for free since the 90s with patches. In Quake, UT etc. I could unlock new skins and even models.
I mean if you ask me like that, you could also ask "Why you feel you should have ownership of an epilogue/true ending content" like in Asuras Wrath/Prince of Persia 2008.

It also depends on the game. Evolve had not enough content at all and they still felt the need to sell new monsters/"heroes" as DLC.

MUnited83

For you.
Or are you talking about CoD?

I would cite historical PC-Games of course. I am used getting new content for free since the 90s with patches. In Quake, UT etc. I could unlock new skins and even models.

I mean if you ask me like that, you could also ask "Why you feel you should have ownership of an epilogue/true ending content" like in Asuras Wrath/Prince of Persia 2008.

Talking about CoD, which was the game sparking the discussion.

I'm not sure how it's even possible that you don't have all the achievements yet with that hour count.
Like bosstone said, don't care about achievements and I like taking my time exploring everything thoroughly, trying out different tactics, weapons etc.
Congratulations Dusk Golem!
Can imagine you thinking about the day your project has the greenlit banner ;)
How is it progressing?
Last time I tried out beta, it wouldn't let me record desktop. Will stay on stable. Also, don't know if it's already changed but co-op should not need chrome extension but work from geforce experience alone.

rtcn63

Related, but if I'm booting up Destiny for the first time and only playing it singleplayer/offline, should I wait to finish the base game before installing the Taken King etc. DLC?

Dr Dogg

One factor with additional cosmetics, especially in multiplayer player titles is it psychologically creates this divide of haves and have nots. You see this also with preorder DLC and what not where regardless of the quality of the content some folks can't live without having what they perceive as a complete product. With cosmetics it's really clever/sinister when they are a particular design or theme that is desirable by a certain audience and really evil in multi focused games where other players are paraded in front of you with said cosmetic item on their character.

Any rational person would make a decision if this is something they're inclined to want or if the price of admission suits them but there are far more smarter marketing and strategy executives making these decisions than those who throw a fit on a message board. They know what they're doing and making a pretty penny too.

A Fish Aficionado

I am going to make it through this year if it kills me
One factor with additional cosmetics, especially in multiplayer player titles is it psychologically creates this divide of haves and have nots. You see this also with preorder DLC and what not where regardless of the quality of the content some folks can't live without having what they perceive as a complete product. With cosmetics it's really clever/sinister when they are a particular design or theme that is desirable but certain audience and really evil in multi focused games where other players are paraded in front of you with said cosmetic item on their character.

Any rational person would make a decision if this is something they're inclined to want or if the price of admission suits them but there are far more smarter marketing and strategy executives making these decisions than those who through a fit on a message board. They know what they're doing and making a pretty penny too.

That's pretty damn smart of them. I wouldn't call it sinister, just capitalism.

Related, but if I'm booting up Destiny for the first time and only playing it singleplayer/offline, should I wait to finish the base game before installing the Taken King etc. DLC?

I wouldn't. some of the changes in TTK make the vanilla campaign for year one content much better. They place the DLC stuff in the campaign now so the flow is better and you'll get year two loot while playing the game, for example. And Northbot is better than Dinklebot, not even close.

So i wouldn't recommend it. The year one stuff is made better with TTK update

Real shitty for them to devalue content in their own game like that.

Hey guys the first 25 levels of this game is meaningless. Pls give us money so you can skip it. I mean isn't that game a co-op shooter like Borderlands? Where grinding levels is supposed to be 99% of the fun?

Grinding levels is just a way to get to 40 and do the cool stuff like raids and high level strikes. Still, I guess that the lvl 25 boost is just a way for people to level up alt characters without going through all the story content again (I had fun grinding to 40 though, but then again, I enjoy Borderlands games and such)

Spirited

Mine is pretty and pink
Why is the winter sale so late? Hurry up Valve pls

Because they want people to get their moeny for december before it starts.
Because shurely they spent all their november money on the discovery sale.

Also I dreamed that Valve will make a pokemon game where you fight discounts that you get if you beat them.

Tizoc

Also I dreamed that Valve will make a pokemon game where you fight discounts that you get if you beat them.

In my case I clear my CC by the 28th unless I get paid early :X

That'd be a fun sale game, hopefully someone at Valve is reading Steamgaf :)

Deitus

People aren't reacting negatively to them, because they don't think they'll be succesful, but because they don't like MOBAs period. It's the same with MP games. This site is heavily SP console focused, so yeah...

The problem with MOBAs isn't that they exist, but rather the huge gold rush to cash in on the latest craze, which reminds me of how companies handled MMOs post WoW. All these big companies look at how much money LoL/Dota/WoW are making and go "I need to get in on that. All I need to do is make a similar game and just rake in the cash." It's such a cynical money grab, but it also completely ignores the reality of the market.

The fact is that 95% percent of these games will not be successful, because the MOBA demographic isn't growing for games like LoL/Dota, it's growing for those games only, and the people who play those games aren't looking for a new MOBA. A few games will see some temporary success, and then get promptly forgotten a few months later, and the nature of these games is that they are useless unless they have a thriving community.

Now, I don't resent the existence of more MOBAs on the market. In fact, I think there is room to explore mechanics popularized by these games (specific types of teamwork, in-match progression with little to no persistence between matches, specialized item builds, etc.). But even a really transformative game is going to get drowned out by the flood of developers rushing to get that sweet LoL cash, which is a shame.

On the other hand, there are certainly people who just hate the genre, and can't deal with the fact that people play games they hate. This is NeoGAF after all.

Mind posting a screenshot of that?

00XBky9.png

Dr Dogg

Considering there are 5 times as many peeps playing DotA 2 right now as there are active GAF accounts I don't think basing what some folk here think as a, let alone the, popular consensus is with regards to MOBAs, F2P games or microtransactions is worth thinking about.

Considering there are 5 times as many peeps playing DotA 2 right now as there are active GAF accounts I don't think basing what some folk here think as a, let alone the, popular consensus is with regards to MOBAs, F2P games or microtransactions is worth thinking about.

Well remember, GAF (a good chunk of them) think they speak for the entire world sometimes.

dex3108

Another big issue that UPlay had is fixed now.

December Update 3 - Tuesday December 15th 2015

Changes in this release

• Added an option to keep installed games when uninstalling the Uplay client
  • Improved client patch notification flow. It is now possible to postpone applying a new patch until launching a game
  • Uplay will now remember the last active sub-section if "Games" is selected as default starting page (Eg. My Games, Installed, Free Games etc.)
  • Moved "Activate Product" button from top of the News page and Games page, it can now be found next to the "Friends" Icon
  • Improved the "Activate Product" window. It now contains a little bit more information regarding the activation codes

They are really trying to improve client (i can't say same thing for Origin who haven't introduced new feature in years i think).

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
hope JaseC can chime in on this
- would adding a number to your Steam account affect the region your account is attached to?

Initially I observed that changing regions caused the saved phone number to delete itself, but this no longer happens.

Servizio

I don't really need a tag, but I figured I'd get one to make people jealous. Is it working?
*Squint* That's not a sequel to the Swapper! That's not a sequel to the Swapper at all!

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
I'm not sure if I'm going to be actively developing Idle Master any more. It's just become so demoralizing to wake up every day and see this:

(the guy with the link goes to a screenshot of his Steam client library that has about 20 total games in it, almost all of them are F2P). And that's just from the Steam group. The discussions on that group are the same though there are some great people filling in for me answering these questions (even though this particular issue is #1 in the stickied FAQs post). This sort of stuff is prevalent not only in Steam but also in Reddit any time I sign in I typically have a handful of messages that typically get the same copy/paste response from the FAQs. Everyone in that screenshot also tried adding me as a friend on Steam. They're not always this nice about it either.

I completely understand that these users are in legitimate need of assistance when using Idle Master. However, the program started as a "this works for me and solves my problem, it might work for you too" and has grown into a huge hassle. The majority of this misunderstanding comes from people not being fully aware of how trading cards work - so Idle Master gets a bad reputation because people don't fully understand the problem it intends to solve. This has been exacerbated by Steam changing how Steam works in regards to trading card drops and various other things several times over the past year.

The latest issue is that Valve finally started cracking down on account security by invalidating cookie data server-side. This is something they should have been doing all along. Idle Master took advantage of them not doing this, but now that they are there really isn't much that can be done about it. I'm sure you have all seen this by now, but you know when you're in the client and you open a webpage on Steam and you get the "Checking your information..." with the loading animation centered across the page? This means that Steam has invalidated your existing cookie data and it's checking your local client authentication data to generate a new sessionID. Unfortunately for Idle Master, this means you're getting logged out because the program can no longer read your badges page until you re-authenticate with Steam. The bottom line is that if Steam logs you out server-side, you're going to have to go back through client-side authentication.

The problem again of course is that people expect me to have some kind of miracle fix so they can go back to interruption-free idling. While a fix is technically possible, this isn't a problem that really affects me personally very much (I get logged out about once every 24 hours) so it's not a huge priority for me to fix. Even if I did start getting affected like some people's accounts that get logged out every hour, I've more or less stopped buying bundles and my supply of available trading cards is going down faster than they're being replenished, for like the first time ever.

I think what I'll do is simply update the Github page / website to specifically state that the program is being provided completely as-is with no warranty or support, use at your own risk, etc etc. I'll keep the Steam groups open but unsubscribe myself from everything there. My email is already doing auto-responses.

It sucks, but I think the only thing I can do for my own sanity at this point is to step away. Maybe I'll be back at some point, maybe not.

I'm not sure if I'm going to be actively developing Idle Master any more. It's just become so demoralizing to wake up every day and see this:

(the guy with the link goes to a screenshot of his Steam client library that has about 20 total games in it, almost all of them are F2P). And that's just from the Steam group. The discussions on that group are the same though there are some great people filling in for me answering these questions (even though this particular issue is #1 in the stickied FAQs post). This sort of stuff is prevalent not only in Steam but also in Reddit any time I sign in I typically have a handful of messages that typically get the same copy/paste response from the FAQs. Everyone in that screenshot also tried adding me as a friend on Steam. They're not always this nice about it either.

I completely understand that these users are in legitimate need of assistance when using Idle Master. However, the program started as a "this works for me and solves my problem, it might work for you too" and has grown into a huge hassle. The majority of this misunderstanding comes from people not being fully aware of how trading cards work - so Idle Master gets a bad reputation because people don't fully understand the problem it intends to solve. This has been exacerbated by Steam changing how Steam works in regards to trading card drops and various other things several times over the past year.

The latest issue is that Valve finally started cracking down on account security by invalidating cookie data server-side. This is something they should have been doing all along. Idle Master took advantage of them not doing this, but now that they are there really isn't much that can be done about it. I'm sure you have all seen this by now, but you know when you're in the client and you open a webpage on Steam and you get the "Checking your information..." with the loading animation centered across the page? This means that Steam has invalidated your existing cookie data and it's checking your local client authentication data to generate a new sessionID. Unfortunately for Idle Master, this means you're getting logged out because the program can no longer read your badges page until you re-authenticate with Steam. The bottom line is that if Steam logs you out server-side, you're going to have to go back through client-side authentication.

The problem again of course is that people expect me to have some kind of miracle fix so they can go back to interruption-free idling. While a fix is technically possible, this isn't a problem that really affects me personally very much (I get logged out about once every 24 hours) so it's not a huge priority for me to fix. Even if I did start getting affected like some people's accounts that get logged out every hour, I've more or less stopped buying bundles and my supply of available trading cards is going down faster than they're being replenished, for like the first time ever.

I think what I'll do is simply update the Github page / website to specifically state that the program is being provided completely as-is with no warranty or support, use at your own risk, etc etc. I'll keep the Steam groups open but unsubscribe myself from everything there. My email is already doing auto-responses.

It sucks, but I think the only thing I can do for my own sanity at this point is to step away. Maybe I'll be back at some point, maybe not.

Come on man. You did enough already and deserve a rest. If you dont wanna do it anymore, dont force yourself to do it. Especially if so many people are that ungrateful.

Monooboe

I can almost not imagine the hassle you have to go through, so please do take a break if you feel for it! We all are more than grateful for everything that you've done!

Finally got back to Witcher 3 dlc after my fallout break. Realized again how good the game is after returning.

Yeah been thinking about doing it also. I try sampling alot of games but I just want an openworld RPG.XD

dex3108

It is sad to hear this. In my opinion best solution for this would be paywall but i know that you can't do that (i mean you can but Valve would call you and ask you to stop it).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom