• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam DualShock 4 support is now live

Unai

And we can use the trackpad as a single thing instead of two if we want. That's great for touch menu.

The default behavior for the right stick is the new Joystick Mouse, but it felt better to use it as a normal stick in Dark Souls 3.

What does this mean?

It means that we can use the controller as usual but as soon as we pull the left trigger the gyro aim will kick in so we can fine tune the aim better than using only the analog stick.

Edit: Heavily beaten.

Nabs

You are going to be asking this for a whole host of the Steam Controller (and PS4 Controller) configs, bindings and features.

In this case, it is setting the gyro to activate on left trigger pull while the left trigger is also bound to an action. Typically for a shooter, left trigger is aim, so this means that aiming will activate the gyro for far more precise and speedy aiming than a stick can do.

Yep.

Can folks confirm if this will work over Bluetooth?

It does.

You are going to be asking this for a whole host of the Steam Controller (and PS4 Controller) configs, bindings and features.

In this case, it is setting the gyro to activate on left trigger pull while the left trigger is also bound to an action. Typically for a shooter, left trigger is aim, so this means that aiming will activate the gyro for far more precise and speedy aiming than a stick can do.

When you pull the trigger in slightly the gyro becomes active allowing for precise movement using the gyro alongside the right stick.

How does the gyro feel, close to the accuracy of the steam controller?

And we can use the trackpad as a single thing instead of two if we want. That's great for touch menu.

The default behavior for the right stick is the new Joystick Mouse, but it felt better to use it as a normal stick in Dark Souls 3.

It means that we can use the controller as usual but as soon as we pull the left trigger the gyro aim will kick in so we can fine tune the aim better than using only the analog stick.

Edit: Heavily beaten.

Oh shit that sounds awesome.

Wait are there a bunch more other cool features that we can't really set up on a PS4??

Unai

The touch menus are very bugged right now.

Edit: I just tested and it's indeed working through the bluetooth in motherboard.

Kumubou

The default settings for a DS4 in Big Picture are kind of wonky (you can't use the dpad to move in menus? Only the right stick works with the on-screen keyboard by default?), but thankfully the 34636347643643 configuration options Valve provided makes that easy enough to fix. Holy crap, the number of options are dizzying and there are some really interesting possibilities. The in-game defaults are exactly what you would expect, which is fine (and you can endlessly mess with them from there).

A couple of things I would like to see:

-It currently only works with Dualshock 4s, so any other PS4-based controllers (such as the third party pads and sticks from Hori and Madcatz) aren't being picked up. They really should let us define hardware profiles so that random USB HID devices can be picked up as an applicable device and then let people customize from there. I don't expect Valve to add support for every device under the sun, but the community can.

-There should be an option for Steam to output multiple dummy XInput shims and then let people reassign what devices are assigned to what shims on the fly. If implemented correctly, this would give games that normally don't have hot-swap support the ability to change devices on the fly. This would be really nice for environments where devices are being changed frequently, such as gaming events. (To my knowledge, this isn't required for games with full Steam Controller support since the API handles that for the game.)

Knurek

No way to disable the lightbar ATM.
No way to disconnect the controller from Steam.
Otherwise everything seems to work fine.

Neoxon

Can someone check if this allows one to use a PS4 stick for the PC version of Street Fighter V without any drivers?

Unai

Can someone check if this allows one to use a PS4 stick for the PC version of Street Fighter V without any drivers?

I don't have the game, but you can use it with everything now, even games from the 80's that didn't even have gamepad support. I'm sure SFV will be no exception.

I was able to disconnect it by holding the ps button for a few seconds.

Neoxon

I don't have the game, but you can use it with everything now, even games from the 80's that didn't even had gamepad support. I'm sure SFV will be no exception.
So I guess Capcom doesn't have to add dinput support after all. Either that or they knew this update was coming.

Still, thanks for the good news.

Nabs

I'm noticing a bug when I try to disconnect and reconnect the controller via BT. Steam will recognize it, but I won't be able to navigate BPM or play any games until I restart. Anyone else?

Kumubou

Both of these are actually supported:

-Disconnect the controller by holding the Home button down for 4 seconds and then select Turn Off Controller.
-The light bar can be turned off under Options -> Detected Controllers -> Select Your Controller -> Personalize -> set Steam Button Brightness to the minimum.

I don't have the game, but you can use it with everything now, even games from the 80's that didn't even have gamepad support. I'm sure SFV will be no exception.
I was going to say that Steam wasn't supporting sticks at all, but it picked up my HRAP 4 after I closed and reopened Big Picture Mode. Weird. Especially since it did detect the DS4 after I unplugged it and plugged it back in. So it might actually work once the device is configured. Wish Steam would pick up controllers on the fly, though. (Or maybe that's planned and it's just acting wonky because it's a beta.)

People who want to play SF5 on PC with a DS4 are good to go now, though (except minus the fact that, well, you're playing SF5).

Nabs

As long as you don't launch whatever ds4 program you use, you'll be fine. I'm not sure it's a great idea to get rid of that option while this is still in beta.

As long as you don't launch whatever ds4 program you use, you'll be fine. I'm not sure it's a great idea to get rid of that option while this is still in beta.

I'm ok. I only play games through Steam and even if this doesn't work perfectly out the gate, I can wait. I really just want all the DS4 windows stuff out of my system.

Both of these are actually supported:

-Disconnect the controller by holding the Home button down for 4 seconds and then select Turn Off Controller.
-The light bar can be turned off under Options -> Detected Controllers -> Select Your Controller -> Personalize -> set Steam Button Brightness to the minimum.

I was going to say that Steam wasn't supporting sticks at all, but it picked up my HRAP 4 after I closed and reopened Big Picture Mode. Weird. Especially since it did detect the DS4 after I unplugged it and plugged it back in. So it might actually work once the device is configured. Wish Steam would pick up controllers on the fly, though. (Or maybe that's planned and it's just acting wonky because it's a beta.)

People who want to play SF5 on PC with a DS4 are good to go now, though (except minus the fact that, well, you're playing SF5).
turn off controller option aint working for me

Unai

I'm noticing a bug when I try to disconnect and reconnect the controller via BT. Steam will recognize it, but I won't be able to navigate BPM or play any games until I restart. Anyone else?

Same here, but it worked just disabling the bluetooth and enabling it again in windows.

turn off controller option aint working for me

Yeah, these options working for me wither. I guess it's just a bug.

Exuro

Having trouble getting this to work. I switched over to the beta and am not seeing controller options in the overlay so I assume it isn't working. Figured to make sure it was/wasn't was to hook up wirelessly. What do I need to do to get this to work? With the Steam controller you go to the controller settings and add a controller and press home and x, but this doesn't work with the ds4 for me.

Having trouble getting this to work. I switched over to the beta and am not seeing controller options in the overlay so I assume it isn't working. Figured to make sure it was/wasn't was to hook up wirelessly. What do I need to do to get this to work? With the Steam controller you go to the controller settings and add a controller and press home and x, but this doesn't work with the ds4 for me.

did you connect the controller to bluetooth on your pc?

Sophia

lol, I'm using the gyro as a makeshift mouse in FFXIV for mouseover healing.

This is incredible. An "Either trigger" option for enabling the gyro would be nice tho.

coopolon

Added New Mode – Joystick Mouse. This is a joystick based mouse control useful for stick based controllers.

How is this different from previous modes where you could have the joysticks on gamepads control the mouse?

Exuro

Are you in big picture mode? You need to go to controller settings or something like that.
Yeah I figured it out. There's a DS4 configuration option you need to set. Then you're supposed to disconnect reconnect the controller, though I had to restart Steam. But as soon as I did so and reconnected in BPM I got the steam controller prompt! Sweet.

Sophia

The gyro is so unbelievably accurate even on the Dualshock 4 that I am legitimately surprised that gyro aiming is not standard on first person shooters on the PS4.

I was able to point at someone running off screen and successfully heal them.

Knurek

First thing I tried, does not work for me.

Further problems - tried Assault Android Cactus, was getting double input - game detected SteamController, showing PS button prompts, but pressing anything resulted in the game adding 2nd player using XInput controller.

Steam seems to use a lot of battery for some reason - lightbar? I had the pad go from 90% to 70% charge over a course of 20 minutes. This doesn't happen when using DS4Windows (well, not as fast at least)...

Kade

How do you get the Playstation button prompts to show? The controller config screen only shows a Steam Controller but the buttons still work.

Horseticuffs

Full werewolf off the buckle
Was just playing the tail-end of Bioshock Infinite on my DS4. Very, very cool. My Xbox One controller has AWFUL stick drift. I took it apart and fixed it mostly but it still sucks. I also have a Steam Controller but this is just ideal.

Top Bottom