• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam DualShock 4 support is now live

Ogawa-san

I can't test it out since I don't wanna go with beta updates, they're too frequent. Can anyone tell me if you can finally rebind the PS/Xbox buttons in a way they won't open Steam or big picture anymore?

I've found a "fix" but it involves making Steam not detect that button at all.

wbEMX

For some reason the sensitivity on the right stick keeps changing to a very high sens. I noticed that on Dark Souls III. Suddenly the camera is extremely sensitive and then it is normal again. Huh.

I do run the DS4 wirelessly, by the way.

I don't get it. I signed up for Steam beta, downloaded the update, and went into add/test controllers and then set up my buttons, but it doesn't work. I also don't see the detailed settings you guys are talking about. What am I doing wrong here?

Exuro

I don't get it. I signed up for Steam beta, downloaded the update, and went into add/test controllers and then set up my buttons, but it doesn't work. I also don't see the detailed settings you guys are talking about. What am I doing wrong here?
If you can't see the button for the PS4 controller then I'm guessing steam doesn't recognize the DS4. Do you guys have ds4windows or the like running to mask it as a xinput controller?

CwIpJLkWEAETQZI.jpg:large

You need to check the PS4 Configuration Support checkbox.

jediyoshi

If you can't see the button for the PS4 controller then I'm guessing steam doesn't recognize the DS4. Do you guys have ds4windows or the like running to mask it as a xinput controller?

Nope, games that natively support the DS4 see it and can specifically see it's a DS4 (from the button prompts).

Exuro

Nope, games that natively support the DS4 see it and can specifically see it's a DS4 (from the button prompts).
Hmm welp only thought I have is to try restarting Steam or the PC and cross your fingers that it recognizes it correctly.

Shepard

Controlling the mouse with the analogue is actually pretty nice, way better than using the trackpad. Also, I think the only way to activate vibration is on a per game basis, going into the controller options while in the game (it is even labelled as experimental).

Plugged in an older model of PS4 controller and the option to enable PS4 configuration showed up, but it still doesn't work in any games. What gives?

Kade

Got it working. Looks like it's only compatible with the original DualShock 4 models right now. My revised/PS4 Slim one is only detected as a generic Wireless Controller. Tried playing Dark Souls III but every input was doubled for some reason.

Tealmann

I tried portal since that has Steam Controller API support, but it showed the Steam Controller ABXY prompts instead of playstation.
Also, clicking the controller option in the game settings opens the Steam Controller config (Not the PS controller config) and causes the controller to stop working.

For some reason the sensitivity on the right stick keeps changing to a very high sens. I noticed that on Dark Souls III. Suddenly the camera is extremely sensitive and then it is normal again. Huh.

I do run the DS4 wirelessly, by the way.

I had the same problem, set the right-stick from Mouse to Analog Stick in the Steam options.

I had the same problem, set the right-stick from Mouse to Analogue Stick in the Steam options.

Yeah, they should definitely default to the basic gamepad template for all games when using the PS4 controller or something. I noticed a couple games I tried had some strange default bindings.

hoooly shit, button mapping is huge

those of you who haven't used a steam controller, you just don't even know

edit: whoa this is out? I'm gonna have to bust out my old controller and give this a shot

Unai

I can turn off the controller led while wired, but I can't when using bluetooth. It's probably just a bug because it's make more to sense to disable it while wireless.

Edit: When using it wired in No Man's Sky the game show me the correct prompts and I can also configure anything else I want, like motion controller or touch menus. But in The Witcher 3, another game that has native dualshock 4 implementation, the game only shows me xbox prompts. Also I have to disable the controllers to not get double inputs. I really wish it could work in The Witcher 3 with it displaying the correct prompts but letting me using gyro to aim.

I tried portal since that has Steam Controller API support, but it showed the Steam Controller ABXY prompts instead of playstation.
Also, clicking the controller option in the game settings opens the Steam Controller config (Not the PS controller config) and causes the controller to stop working.

games without hardcoded ps buttons won't have the prompts

Unai

That's not entirely true anymore. Now developers can use the Steam Controller API to fetch the correct button prompts, and that should make the prompts forward compatible with any kind of controller that valves implements if I understood it correctly.

But yeah, portal 2 dosn't use this, so it won't show the correct prompts unless Valve patches it.

Pachael

Works great on Big Picture mode with the wireless dongle. Gaming from comfy bed with Remote Play and Big Picture is bliss

Tealmann

But yeah, portal 2 dosn't use this, so it won't show the correct prompts unless Valve patches it.

Wait what? I could have sworn Portal 2 was the first game to do it.

EDIT: No, Portal 2 absolutely does use the API. Also I just tried Serious Sam 3 (Also uses the API) and once again the button prompts were wrong, but also the buttons weren't working correctly, and opening the controller configuration caused the game to stop detecting it.

Mailbox

Hazzah! I'm really quite glad about this :)
Tried a few hours of Fallout 4 and SkyrimSE with this, and it works well, but definitely has a few lil issues. These include:

- The replacement for joystick camera into joystick mouse seems to have made things slightly weird. Instead of a smooth mouse experiance you would get from setting Joystick Camera to relative mouse, you get a slightly stuttery experiance. Its still good, but I hope it gets better :p

- I found out that radial menu doesn't work with the d-pad. Makes sense, but I wish it did so that you can just have 8 different inputs as opposed to the 4 we are stuck with for every other option :/ [8-way dpad would be bliss valve :3]

- I hope valve lets us have an option of moving the center of the radial menu, because its kinda painful to reach over to the further options to get your bow out or some shit.

Outside of that, I found some pluses and lil tweeks you guy may enjoy :3

- Single panel and half panel for the touch pad is NOT isolated. You can put something on the whole pad, and something on a half or both halves and they will work simultaneously. I found this out when I set the whole pad to mouse and a half to radial menu and was wondering why my camera was moving when I was choosing a weapon :p

- Easy way to have a pad give a single click function: Since you can't choose a "single button" option, use a Radial Menu, only fill up the first slot, and make the menu opacity 0. Tada! now you have a touch pad that does 1 thing when you click it anywhere :3
(I did this for Skyim and set the left pad to be a "single button" for my favorites menu and long press for making something my favorite) [Don't forget that you can stack activators onto radial menus ;P]

- The D-pad seems to have weird issues with figuring out if you are pressing a different direction depending on the angle you are pressing another button on (lets say I press down on a weird angle, right or left might activate despite the fact i have without overlap on). An easy way around this is to set it to a cross gate instead :)

me0wish

My experience so far:
Connecting it wirelessly and then connecting it with a wire would show two controllers connected and it would register two button presses.

The DS4 light bar is only controllable while wired.

Works flawlessly with every game I tried, except for games that support DS4 already, it counts each controller as two controllers and will register each button press twice.

Used to have terrible delay when connecting two or more controllers using input mapper, this doesn't seem to be an issue? I need to test this more to make sure.

On PS4, the limit for controllers is 4, I wonder if this applies to connecting them to a PC.

Turning off a wirelessly connected controller won't delist it.

Steam won't recognize the controllers if the controller is turned off and turned on again and connected wirelessly. Restarting Steam will make Steam recognize the controller.

Turn off controller option does not work. I suspect that controller time out won't work either.

Overall, besides a few minor wireless issues and the double input problems it is pretty much flawless, I'm glad Valve is supporting DS4, hopefully we will one day have Wii U pro controller support.

Mailbox

On PS4, the limit for controllers is 4, I wonder if this applies to connecting them to a PC.

This is seen as a steam controller by steam, you can have up to 16 steam controllers active on a system at once. I suspect this will be the same :)

Tealmann

- I found out that radial menu doesn't work with the d-pad. Makes sense, but I wish it did so that you can just have 8 different inputs as opposed to the 4 we are stuck with for every other option :/ [8-way dpad would be bliss valve :3]

You can use the touch menu instead. It lets you have 9 buttons at least.

Also another thing I found that's a problem: The Xbox controls still don't work in the desktop config, which means you can't use a PS4 controller with emulators unless you either add them to steam or close steam when you want to play them. Either way it's very annoying.

Tested it for five minutes and so far it works great. Will be interesting to see how the current implementation lines up with what was announced at Dev Days and what they later confirmed to me.

I expect there'll be a few bugs to work out while this is still in beta, but seems like they're making lots of great progress.

Will post more findings tomorrow when I make sure my game has proper support for this new update.

EDIT:
So how does this work? Is it just translating Xbox input to the DS4? Or do games need specific DS4 configurations?

See: www.gamasutra.com/blogs/LarsDoucet/20161012/283057/Steam_Dev_Days_Steam_Controller.php

TL:DR -- PS4 Controllers are just Steam Controllers (with a little model-specific UX sugar) now as far as Steam's concerned. Valve wrote their own low-level driver.

Been using Steam controller for 5 months, and some non-controller support steam games don't work with the Steam controller. And some do.

Would the DS4 really be MORE compatible with non controller support steam games than the flafship controller itself?

Haunted

My old trusty 360 controller are starting to show their age and I find the Steam controller to be suboptimal for many games, so this is good news.

jediyoshi

Wait what? I could have sworn Portal 2 was the first game to do it.

EDIT: No, Portal 2 absolutely does use the API. Also I just tried Serious Sam 3 (Also uses the API) and once again the button prompts were wrong, but also the buttons weren't working correctly, and opening the controller configuration caused the game to stop detecting it.

..implementation doesn't actually inject the PS button prompt graphics into games universally. They'd be from very specific use cases where a developer had even more foresight than just implementing the DS4 natively to begin with.

Does this allow me to use my Dualshock 4 without SCP regardless of if the game is on Steam or not, (ie: Origin, uPlay, etc.) or does Steam have to be open?

Should I just keep SCP installed or will that get in its way?

Does this allow me to use my Dualshock 4 without SCP regardless of if the game is on Steam or not, (ie: Origin, uPlay, etc.) or does Steam have to be open?

Should I just keep SCP installed or will that get in its way?

you have to open the game from steam, so if its not bought from steam, you can add it as a non steam program and it should work

aslong as scp is not open, it shouldnt interfere

Plagman

Neo Member
..implementation doesn't actually inject the PS button prompt graphics into games universally. They'd be from very specific use cases where a developer had even more foresight than just implementing the DS4 natively to begin with.

It will, for any game using the new SDK. Portal 2 is still using an older version of the API which didn't have glyph future-proofing in it.

Kieli

Really sad that it took a third party to implement an API for interoperability of PS4 controllers to PC.

It's more sales for Sony, so why not?

Crayon

My old trusty 360 controller are starting to show their age and I find the Steam controller to be suboptimal for many games, so this is good news.

Having a good standard style controller brought up to speed with the steam controller interface is more than welcome. I like steam controller for everything, but my other half prefers the ds4.

Really sad that it took a third party to implement an API for interoperability of PS4 controllers to PC.

It's more sales for Sony, so why not?

DS4 controllers work natively wired and wireless within Windows without the need for any additional software, what's sad about it?

Top Bottom