• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | February 2017 - Giveaways are back

Status
Not open for further replies.
Don't forget my script for making ModBot giveaways even better ;)

https://github.com/petetnt/neogaf-monkeybot

banner.png

man, that looks extremely useful. it should save me some time looking the games up to see if i already own them before entering a giveaway or not. downloading when i get home

Tonton

What would be a good baby's first CRPG
I kinda already have my eyes on Divinity: Original Sin and Pillars of Eternity because of this thread but not sure if either would be a good entry into the genre

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.

Teggy

I kinda already have my eyes on Divinity: Original Sin and Pillars of Eternity because of this thread but not sure if either would be a good entry into the genre

Assuming you mean party-based only, the only CRPG I've ever finished is Shadowrun Returns. And I have started A LOT of them. It's under 15 hours too.

And to elaborate on my "sucks at CRPGS" cred, here are a list of some of the CRPGS I have started and not finished:
Fallout (numerous times)
Baldur's Gate (numerous times)
Icewind Dale
KOTOR (more times than I can count across 4 different platforms)
Planescape Torment
Dragon Age Origins (numerous times)
Pillars of Eternity

Hektor

These are both fine choices, but keep in mind that they both exist on polar opposites of the spectrum.

DOS is turn-based, combat focused and doesn't give a lot aout it's own story, where as PoE is real-time, story heavy with rather medicore combat.

But i do think they're both fairly good for newcomers, for crpg's at least.

Certain things about the genre like the underlying rulesets just aren't welcome to newcomers period.

Anteater

lol i can't remember all these gathering fields in atelier and they keep unlocking new ones, good thing there's no time limit at least

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
Pixel Privateers outselling Night in the Woods.

tumblr_inline_mq614gQ07i1qz4rgp.gif

Ascheroth

lol i can't remember all these gathering fields in atelier and they keep unlocking new ones, good thing there's no time limit at least

If you haven't walked across a path on the world map yet, the line is yellow. Helps to keep track of things.
The encyclopedia has infos about what materials and enemies can be found in an area, as well as the other way around.

Tonton

Assuming you mean party-based only, the only CRPG I've ever finished is Shadowrun Returns. And I have started A LOT of them. It's under 15 hours too.
That reminds me I actually have Shadowrun Hong Kong from Humble, is there an order to play these or starting with this one should be ok?

These are both fine choices, but keep in mind that they both exist on polar opposites of the spectrum.

DOS is turn-based, combat focused and doesn't give a lot aout it's own story, where as PoE is real-time, story heavy with rather medicore combat.

But i do think they're both fairly good for newcomers, for crpg's at least.

Certain things about the genre like the underlying rulesets just aren't welcome to newcomers period.
I think I'd be more inclined for PoE from this, I'm not much of a turn based guy so being excellent at it doesn't do much for me

Teggy

That reminds me I actually have Shadowrun Hong Kong from Humble, is there an order to play these or starting with this one should be ok?

I don't think there is any story continuity, but most people say if you play Hong Kong/Dragonfall first Returns will be a letdown because its story and mechanics are not as good.

Kiru

Gotta play the first Styx before the sequel comes out. I unexpectedly won Shards of Darkness on steamgifts, so I bought the first game right after lol.

Regginator

I wouldn't suggest starting with Hong Kong (which is part 3). Instead, either Returns (part 1) or Dragonfall (part 2). Both have their reasons.

As for Returns, it's the first (of the HBS) series and as a result mechanically the least polished, the story is the least interesting, and the characters are the least memorable. That being said, I feel like it does deserve some credit and respect, because it laid the amazing foundation for the (much) better sequels.

As for Dragonfall (which is the one I started with), it blew my socks off. In hindsight it's better than Returns in literally EVERY single aspect, and then more. So starting with Dragonfall will definitely make the imperfections from Returns very obvious, if you decide to play Returns later down the line.

So, I'd say start with Returns. But the VERY SECOND you feel the slightest fatigue or lack of interest, stop with it and start Dragonfall.

I don't think there is any story continuity, but most people say if you play Hong Kong/Dragonfall first Returns will be a letdown because its story and mechanics are not as good.

This is very true. The stories have nothing to do with each other (aside from some minor easter eggs), but mechanically there are some differences (notably polish and overall gameplay improvements).

Anteater

If you haven't walked across a path on the world map yet, the line is yellow. Helps to keep track of things.
The encyclopedia has infos about what materials and enemies can be found in an area, as well as the other way around.

oh shit, that will be useful, thanks

In exclusivity for SteamGAF: Uurnog will be the Humble Original game for March 3rd.

G72IT8x.png

Games with built in music makers grab me. I wonder what can be done with it as an instrument? I didn't quite get how the game works though. I've paused next month but might hop back on. I'd like to sell Total Warhammer for a chunk if I do.

ModBot

Not a mod, just a bot.
Thanks to an anonymous benefactor, I am giving away 4 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below that corresponds to the game you want. (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering). Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.
Want to make your own ModBot giveaway? Click here for a quick tutorial thread. Please give generously.

ModBot Basics:
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Endless Legend - Echoes of Auriga Add-on -- MB-BC20CF2DBFB97D0A - Taken by Eternia
Shogun 2 Blood Pack -- MB-6AC158B7DF85588B - Taken by voodooray
Total War Attila: Blood and Burning -- MB-A1C39C803FC78D8D - Taken by Vastag
Total War Rome II: Blood and Gore -- MB-1ED47058D9D1D2E4

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
you cant activate those Total War DLCs (or any dlc I guess) if you dont own the base game btw

am i missing something here? why would cheer for a game to flop? :p

how is the game flopping? its 5th on the sellers atm. There is a big difference between being happy one game is outselling another, and being happy a game is flopping, which it isnt.

Granjinha

you cant activate those Total War DLCs (or any dlc I guess) if you dont own the base game btw

how is the game flopping? its 5th on the sellers atm. There is a big difference between being happy one game is outselling another, and being happy a game is flopping, which it isnt.

oh, sorry. It isn't on the top sellers here in Brazil, so i found the post strange lol

zkylon

zkylewd
Someone already mentioned it, but I'll just elaborate for you. It's Persona Q for the 3DS. It's a thing where the Persona 3 and Persona 4 casts are pulled out of various points in their games (specifically, at points where you have the full cast i.e. Shinji and Naoto) to meet in an alternate dimension - and won't remember a thing afterwards, natch - and go through dungeons that are a bit more complicated than the ones in Persona. It's made by the people who make Etrian Odyssey, so the gameplay is pretty similar to that. The dungeon mapping is mostly manual with a bit of auto (you can draw in the map lines yourself, and put in symbols for various things you've seen, but the map square will change colour if you've "explored" - stepped on - it.) You get to choose whether you play as the P3 or P4 MC, and there are slightly different stories for each. There's lots of fanservice, they've Flanderized the personalities a bit (Teddie is REALLY annoying in this one,) but overall it's pretty cute.
the pictures do look cute but doesn't sound like something i'd play

let me know when they make the league of legends version!

Didn't see this posted: new Steam Beta Client update for February 21st.

Steam Controller

• Added Controller Config Preview. When importing a configuration, it will now be previewed first and then it can be accepted or backed out without applying the configuration. While previewing a configuration, all its settings can be viewed, but not changed.
  • Added Steam Controller Configuration Links. When browsing configurations, a link can now be copied to the clipboard by pressing the Start button or Control+C. Following this Steam link will show the configuration and it can be optionally applied to the game it corresponds to. This link can be opened via a browser or at the commandline. From the command line, use "start [link]" in Windows, "open [link]" in OSX, and "xdg-open [link]" in SteamOS/Linux. Note that a controller must be active to apply a configuration. Links will be shown in the controller type they were created for, but will be converted to the controller type they are being applied to on application.
  • Fixed a bug with some non-Steam Controllers in Native configurations having multiple controllers controlling the same player.
  • Improved detection in Win 10 if we are blocked from sending input by UAC, enabling fallback to Lizard Mode.
  • Added support for DS4 Collective Minds Strikepack and HORI FPS DS4 .
  • Added audio support for DS4 v2 Slim.

data

Steam Controller

• Added Controller Config Preview. When importing a configuration, it will now be previewed first and then it can be accepted or backed out without applying the configuration. While previewing a configuration, all its settings can be viewed, but not changed.
  • Added Steam Controller Configuration Links. When browsing configurations, a link can now be copied to the clipboard by pressing the Start button or Control+C. Following this Steam link will show the configuration and it can be optionally applied to the game it corresponds to. This link can be opened via a browser or at the commandline. From the command line, use "start [link]" in Windows, "open [link]" in OSX, and "xdg-open [link]" in SteamOS/Linux. Note that a controller must be active to apply a configuration. Links will be shown in the controller type they were created for, but will be converted to the controller type they are being applied to on application.
  • Fixed a bug with some non-Steam Controllers in Native configurations having multiple controllers controlling the same player.
  • Improved detection in Win 10 if we are blocked from sending input by UAC, enabling fallback to Lizard Mode.
Audio support? Does this also work on my og ps4 controller?

xist

Looking around it seems this happened to a few people last year. Guess I better get in touch with Humble.

Do post any update from Humble.

This has me a little worried as I have a few keys that I haven't activated for games I might like to play but may not ever get around to. Better to have them kept in reserve to potentially gift than to activate and never use, but If Humble deactivates unused keys it seems I may just have to redeem them and be done with it.

Edit - Am I better off just using all keys immediately? If Humble kills unredeemed keys will other places (Bundlestars, Indiegala) do likewise? Am I totally misunderstanding this???

Logged into Steam to find a new item in my inventory. Could it be a booster pack, perchance?

Nope. Turns out it's a coupon for 15% off Rosenkreuzstilette. I mean, okay, the game was only released this month, but I can't help but wonder how effective it'll be to give random people a buck and a half off.

Do post any update from Humble.

This has me a little worried as I have a few keys that I haven't activated for games I might like to play but may not ever get around to. Better to have them kept in reserve to potentially gift than to activate and never use, but If Humble deactivates unused keys it seems I may just have to redeem them and be done with it.

Edit - Am I better off just using all keys immediately? If Humble kills unredeemed keys will other places (Bundlestars, Indiegala) do likewise? Am I totally misunderstanding this???

It's okay, this is about keys that had gift links generated for them on Humble. If the link has expired then presumably the key still works but I just can't see them. You usually get a warning if a key has an expiration date.

Parsnip

Steam Controller

Lizard Mode Activate!

Wok

Awesome !
I didn't understood a thing but I got it !

Deleted the app from tampermonkey and got it again and .... didn't asked me for my steamid or anything =(

For me, it did after replying to a post on this forum.

Vuze

Awesome !
I didn't understood a thing but I got it !

Deleted the app from tampermonkey and got it again and .... didn't asked me for my steamid or anything =(
It will eventually when you visit a page with a giveaway on it. Or atleast that was the case for me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom