• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam Greenlight: 1000 games and counting, more Greenlit every few weeks

Cmagus

That awkward moment when you say something bad to game and discover that the creator is a part of the same forum as you xD

Like the gameboy when you hold buttons at the startup ?
Awesome !

Nothing awkward about your comments that is your opinion and you are welcome to share it. If anything the cool thing I think Greenlight provides is a way for developers to gain feedback and it is also a good way to see how people are feeling your game and ideas.Although they certainly need to roll out a WIP section which would be a good way to allow people to get an insight into some of the projects and hopefully help shape something great. I certainly think though they should filter this abit and feature games near completion/ completed there is no point in cluttering the space with games that are just starting.

It was just some insight on some of the thought process at the start and part way through on the project. The original idea we kicked around for a long time was use of the mans shadow and light but it eventually ended up changing completely.Funny how it had come along considering it started in an apartment in the middle of nowhere.

I personally am not attached to the project anymore myself. I was for some time but I moved to something else. Still they are working hard on it and it should be good. The demo and video are from a much older build as well. If you wanna give them some love on the project feel free to do so.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
My personal approach is to upvote games that have clearly a commercial appeal (read "games that strikes me as worthy *at least* of a 5 $ pricetag"), to add to favorites the ones I'm actually interested in and to downvote those that look like really crappy shovelware.

But I guess everyone has a different idea of how to handle this.

I kind of feel like your approach is the best one for actually completing the objective of helping figure out which games should make it to Steam.

Blizzard

Banned
Sorry if I'm pages late to the party but...

YESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS, THE SPIRE IS ONE GREENLIGHT!

Read about this two years ago on Rock Paper Shotgun, I think. It's a first person physics-based puzzler done in UE3. It's got a neat visual style and it looks super polished. When Greenlight launched I did a search for this game and was disappointed to see it wasn't on. I grew a little concerned when a google search only yeilded results on The Spire from 2011. But now it's on Greenlight, all is well.
What scares me about this is...*checks comment section*

Willing to check this out, but I'm catching a strong Twin Sector vibe from this which isn't very encouraging. Need more to go on than the short description and tiny trailer.
Yeah, THAT. :p Maybe they'll prove me wrong and do a better gravity gun/portal gun/power hand thing. QUBE was decent if I recall correctly.

Carm

I've stopped rating any game, until Valve fixes this garbage setup. The other day, games just disappeared and I lost the ability to rate any game. Now I see games under the All Games tab and no where else. So when I rate one there, it doesn't disappear from the list. I'm not gonna flipped through almost 700 games trying to figure out which ones I haven't rated yet.

Also, after rating 500+ games, they are all suddenly gone from my rated already list, yet still show up as rated on the All Games list.

I've stopped rating any game, until Valve fixes this garbage setup. The other day, games just disappeared and I lost the ability to rate any game. Now I see games under the All Games tab and no where else. So when I rate one there, it doesn't disappear from the list. I'm not gonna flipped through almost 700 games trying to figure out which ones I haven't rated yet.

Also, after rating 500+ games, they are all suddenly gone from my rated already list, yet still show up as rated on the All Games list.

Does it really matter if your games that you rated showed up? It's still rated,i don't see why you must see it on your list.

It's already coming to Steam, according to the game's Kickstarter FAQ section.

Maybe they think/know that they are going to be in Steam without this process. I asked Broken Sword kickstarters about Greenlight and they told me they won't be in Greenlight and their page imply that they'll be on Steam

Carm

Does it really matter if your games that you rated showed up? It's still rated,i don't see why you must see it on your list.

Because I can try to make a mental note flipping between my already rated list and the All Games lists, instead of clicking every game to see if I rated it already. They don't disappear currently after rating them, and you have to click on them to see if you rated them. I remember a few I've rated, and shouldn't be expected to remember them all or click on themt o see if I rated them already.

Odrion

Banned
Hey guys you should totally upvote La-Mulana it is so far my favorite game this year and while it's already out on Playism it should be on Steam as well because it's a great game made with lots of love and deserves more success.

I hope that run-on sentence has persuaded you to upvote it! Thanks!

xp1fW.gif
xp1fW.gif
http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=93001822
xp1fW.gif
xp1fW.gif

Blizzard

Banned
wub-wub + cell-shading + Mirror's Edge

Animations need work, but I like what I see so far.
I don't know for sure, but the bone placement/movement looks VERY similar to Mirror's Edge. Considering you can use the UE3 editor in Mirror's Edge, I really hope they didn't take stuff from it. D: Not accusing, just saying it looks ultra similar.

Wok

But at the same time, games are sorted randomly and apart from the limited genre divisions, there's no way to sort them. There's no way to look at recent additions, top games, up-and-coming/trending, friend votes, etc.

Edit: Oh, you can sort by friends favorites. Didn't remember seeing that.

Try dropbox.

Now I see games under the All Games tab and no where else. So when I rate one there, it doesn't disappear from the list. I'm not gonna flipped through almost 700 games trying to figure out which ones I haven't rated yet.

Ditto. But Valve cannot stop me from voting. I use the link mentioned above and sort by most recently uploaded. Since I have rated everything except the blue links, I can go on with my ratings.

My voting system is like so: [...]

Mine is simpler:
  • Downvote for games that I would not buy even deeply discounted. This is my way to say "You have to be more convincing, devs".
  • Upvote and favorite for games that I would personally be interested in buying. This way I can now exactly how many games I have upvoted.

Out of 691 games, I have upvoted 151. So my ratio is 22%.

wub-wub + cell-shading + Mirror's Edge
Animations need work, but I like what I see so far.

About Purge, I have played it in November 2011 and felt it was okay: à la Mirror's Edge with nice cel-shading, but too short (I think it was just some beta demo), and way too easy to die.

beril

Ultimately you can't just rely on people browsing through Greenlight to get your game noticed. You still have to market your game through social media and other means by posting the link to your greenlight page everywhere you can. Greenlight isn't going to be a Panacea for solving the indie problem of getting your game noticed.

Sure, but not everyone can muster up a massive hype through twitter and facebook, and the question is how much of a PR campaign that really should be needed just to be approved for release.

The biggest reason for devs wanting their games on steam in the first place is the visibility. If I were able to get a million people to check out my game (which at the current level seems about what's needed to get approved), I wouldn't really need steam.

Also the way the voting system is currently set up seem to encourage people to pretty much go through the entire list of games and rate everything. You'd think that the enthusiastic and faithful community members would have some power. If a decent majority of the people who do scan through the whole list approve of a game, that ought to be enough to prove that the it's worthy of a steam release.

Talamius

Upvoting pretty much any game that strikes me as vaguely interesting.

The only game I've downvoted is Castleminer Z. Tossing XBL avatars into an engine that looks suspiciously like the Minecraft engine does not work.

Maybe they think/know that they are going to be in Steam without this process. I asked Broken Sword kickstarters about Greenlight and they told me they won't be in Greenlight and their page imply that they'll be on Steam

Yeah, I've noticed that with a lot of high profile Kickstarter games. They've all mentioned that they'll be on Steam. Not all, but most.

DTKT

I just hope that Valve doesn't wait for a game to reach 100% as a sign that it's "ready" to be accepted. They should look at the traffic behind each game as an indicator of the interest it generates.

The % is really weird.

I just hope that Valve doesn't wait for a game to reach 100% as a sign that it's "ready" to be accepted. They should look at the traffic behind each game as an indicator of the interest it generates.

The % is really weird.

From the Greenlight FAQ
We're going to be reaching out to developers as we see their games getting traction regardless of whether they have achieved a specific number of votes or are sitting 1st or 2nd place at any given time. We are most interested in finding the games that people want, not requiring them to always hit a specific number of votes.

So they aren't going to disqualify a game just because it doesn't hit 100%.

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
Sure, but not everyone can muster up a massive hype through twitter and facebook, and the question is how much of a PR campaign that really should be needed just to be approved for release.

The biggest reason for devs wanting their games on steam in the first place is the visibility. If I were able to get a million people to check out my game (which at the current level seems about what's needed to get approved), I wouldn't really need steam.

Also the way the voting system is currently set up seem to encourage people to pretty much go through the entire list of games and rate everything. You'd think that the enthusiastic and faithful community members would have some power. If a decent majority of the people who do scan through the whole list approve of a game, that ought to be enough to prove that the it's worthy of a steam release.

The thing has only been open for a few days, how about you give it a while to see how this whole Greenlight thing works out? You know, before freaking out at the end of the first week?

DTKT

From the Greenlight FAQ

So they aren't going to disqualify a game just because it doesn't hit 100%.

Right, but the fact that there is a meter in the first place is kind of weird. Anyway, I'll guess we'll just have to wait and see how it evolves.

Sara

Couple pages back, but...

Bunny Must Die

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=93405836

Weird that a publisher with multiple games recently on Steam is still having to do Greenlight.

It seems like a lot of indies have been asked to submit to Greenlight if they had a game to submit within this time frame. Maybe Valve wants us to prove demand or maybe it's part of an experiment to see how Greenlight works -- I don't know. I am holding out hope for Bunny though, cautiously. Greenlight kinda worries me, but I hope Valve knows what they're doing here and works out the kinks.

Haunted

I hit the same bug when I had 130 games left to rate.

Aku-Audi

So far I upvoted

Toki Remake
Project Black Sun
Fading Hearts
LA-MULANA
Routine
Waking Mars
Escape Goat
Omegalodon
Oniken
Marvin's Mittens
Pro Wrestling X: Uprising
Eryi's Action
Cute Things Dying Violently
Melody's Escape
Project Giana
Incredipede
Dream
Gunman Clive
McPixel

I don't have the patience and time to dig my way through so many entries, so many "8-bit" indy titles and RPG maker games.

wEEman33

Neo Member
Some dudes from Canada are trying to make a wrestling game from the ground up that's done in the style of the old AKI N64 games:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yCQG9Sz0RiE&feature=BFa&list=UUYhsPUCJn6gvBMLXos44ORg

Key Features:

• Old-school Nintendo 64 style wrestling
  • Intuitive pick-up-and-play controls designed for the Xbox 360 controller
  • Fight against AI or a friend in local multiplayer
  • Custom-built PC wrestling game engine. Not a port!
  • Strikes, grapples, submissions, flying attacks, turnbuckle and apron moves, weapon attacks
  • Out-of-the-ring action on concrete floors and high on balconies
  • Open and moddable art assets
If you like it on STEAM, the game will go public!

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=92916857

Some dudes from Canada are trying to make a wrestling game from the ground up that's done in the style of the old AKI N64 games:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yCQG9Sz0RiE&feature=BFa&list=UUYhsPUCJn6gvBMLXos44ORg

Key Features:

• Old-school Nintendo 64 style wrestling
  • Intuitive pick-up-and-play controls designed for the Xbox 360 controller
  • Fight against AI or a friend in local multiplayer
  • Custom-built PC wrestling game engine. Not a port!
  • Strikes, grapples, submissions, flying attacks, turnbuckle and apron moves, weapon attacks
  • Out-of-the-ring action on concrete floors and high on balconies
  • Open and moddable art assets
If you like it on STEAM, the game will go public!

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=92916857

I don't exactly have any nostalgia for Wrestling games, or the N64 wrestling games in particular. But I voted anyway, because the idea does seem interesting enough. I always wanted to see a mass multiplayer King of the Ring styled wrestling game on PC with customizable characters. The idea could be fun if executed right.

Platy

That is my problem with greenlight ... half of the games aren't even finalized yet and LOTS of stuff can happen till the game is done.

You see huge games being canceled every once in a while .. imagine the indie games chances ...

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
That is my problem with greenlight ... half of the games aren't even finalized yet and LOTS of stuff can happen till the game is done.

You see huge games being canceled every once in a while .. imagine the indie games chances ...

I believe Valve said that they decided not to allow concepts/prototypes right now, and that the FAQ wasn't updated for the launch. But I dunno if that means getting rid of what's on there now or what.

Platy

I believe Valve said that they decided not to allow concepts/prototypes right now, and that the FAQ wasn't updated for the launch. But I dunno if that means getting rid of what's on there now or what.

It is something that SERIOUSLY needs to be fixed.

Or maybe something along the lines of "you MUST have a demo" that Live Arcade has

Gaspode_T

The average quality of games being uploaded has taken a huge nosedive, it is like the first 24 hours must have been full of people in some sort of beta and now everyone and their grandmother is uploading whatever they can scramble together (literally I am seeing submissions that just seem to be some MS Paint sketches). There are also some publishers simply flooding with more than 10 or 20 games at a time (Layernet, Alawar Entertainment) and maybe about 30% to 50% of all games are mobile ports.

I have 200 left unvoted but I must be at 90% downvotes or something, it is really sad. The average quality of games on XBLIG is higher than this - I feel offended each time I see someone comparing it to XBLIG...some of the games from XBLIG are like the diamonds in the rough here (besides the games that were clearly designed from the ground up for PC like Routine)

Crub

Given how many troll submissions there have been already, I really don't blame Valve for not being more proactive about Indie submissions. When they said they had to deal with people just uploading CoD with a modified title screen, I thought they were joking. Seeing how Greenlight is currently working, I'm appalled to say they were probably underselling the problem.

Yeah, I get that. What I mean is, I wish the people who handles submissions kept better track of the indie scene and were aware of some of the better games prior to their submissions. I don't see any reason a competent game like Explodemon, which had already gotten a PSN release, should have been declined. I think they rejected it simply on the basis that they thought it was a Sploshion Man clone.

HoosTrax

I don't see any reason a competent game like Explodemon, which had already gotten a PSN release, should have been declined. I think they rejected it simply on the basis that they thought it was a Sploshion Man clone.
I surmise it might have to do with having to go through so many bad game submissions, that at some point, one just starts to do kneejerk reactions based on first impressions.

Just from my experience voting on things on Greenlight this weekend, I can easily see how I could hypothetically get to the point where I downvote Cthulhu Saves the World or Breath of Death assuming it's just like all of the other RPGMaker games I had seen up to that point.

I've actually had to go back and change some of my own votes from downvote to upvote after feeling compelled to take another look at a game after someone here mentioned it. Basically, with hundreds of games on there combined with the fact that the only way to sort out which games I've seen before is to vote on them, you end up quickly making judgments on games. Which is probably what happened when Valve was reviewing the massive number of submissions as well.

Chinner

Banned
i love what greenlight is trying to do, but it needs updating with my details so i can make better judgements when i'm looking at games.

in terms of details for games, it'd be infinitely more helpful if i knew the development status and intended price for the game. i'm going to be less critical of a game thats still in early development for example.

would be nice if my personal options for games that i have rated/favorited had more sorting options. what i've rated positive, negative etc.

Crub

I surmise it might have to do with having to go through so many bad game submissions, that at some point, one just starts to do kneejerk reactions based on first impressions.

I think you missed the point of my post:

What I mean is, I wish the people who handles submissions kept better track of the indie scene and were aware of some of the better games prior to their submissions.

Had they known about the games (Explodemon, La-Mulana etc) beforehand they would not have dismissed them based on a bad first impression of the Steam submission.

Vastag

I got the "No more games to rate" bug also. Now its imposible to see the games that I have not rated yet, so no more greenlight for me until it's fixed.

Top Bottom