• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam Greenlight: 1000 games and counting, more Greenlit every few weeks

Jac_Solar

I don't really have any interest in voting for unfinished games -- I don't understand why, seemingly, so many people are, unless if it's a game from a developer that has a good track record of finished games.

There shouldn't be any unfinished games on Greenlight, in my opinion, anyhow -- there are already sites for that. This is just another type of thing that rewards listing "exciting" features for casual browsers without any regard for actual gameplay -- and there are already enough of those "types of things" as it is.

Unfinished games should, in the very least, require twice (Or preferably more.) the amount of attention and votes that finished games need to get onto steam, along with a free demo. If a finished game and an unfinished game somehow end up with the same amount of votes (Relatively -- unfinished game has twice as many, if the case was that it only needed twice the amount.), or close to it, the finished game should be favored.

Two friends of mine are working on a new FPS called "Project Exus"; the project is still very early in development, so any suggestion are welcome.
They would really like to have some feedback from GAF people, and if u like it, please vote for it!

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=102145240&searchtext=

A couple of screen:
9472FBF8AA748CB39A0653DACCEE2A844E87946A

CFECC65B9F87C27661B4DBE2D58AD193AB1A96F3

Epsicode

Neo Member
My game, Melody's Escape, has jumped 20 spots too, so they most probably Greenlighted the top 20 games only.
Which is a bit disappointing because I don't see the point of having a "Top 100", giving hope to devs, if they're only gonna pick the 10 or 20 most popular ones anyway (games outside of the top 100 get a percentage bar telling them how close they are to make it in that list, but in the end it doesn't seem matter anyway).

I'm eagerly awaiting the promised tools to be able to communicate with our audience (hopefully a system where people having the game in "favorite" receive a news about new content in their Community newsfeed).

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
My game, the Oil Blue, jumped about 8% to be 48% of the way to the top 100 once the new Greenlight games were announced. So if I do the math, that means I have 137 games in front of me before getting into the top 100, which makes the Oil Blue #237 and Cook, Serve, Delicious #296.

Well that's disappointing, haha. Ah well, I always felt Greenlight was a great marketing tool for me anyways and less so of an actual chance to be on Steam. Thanks everyone for the upvotes!

BadSanta

@Chubigans
That's exactly my point of view. I knew my game won't go on Steam. Yet, it has given me an exposure that it has never got. I learned a lot from that...

Thanks for your vote and consideration Gaffers!

Edit: Among the other gaffers' games, I really like Ichi. Congrats for the concept!

cbox

My game, Melody's Escape, has jumped 20 spots too, so they most probably Greenlighted the top 20 games only.
Which is a bit disappointing because I don't see the point of having a "Top 100", giving hope to devs, if they're only gonna pick the 10 or 20 most popular ones anyway (games outside of the top 100 get a percentage bar telling them how close they are to make it in that list, but in the end it doesn't seem matter anyway).

I'm eagerly awaiting the promised tools to be able to communicate with our audience (hopefully a system where people having the game in "favorite" receive a news about new content in their Community newsfeed).

Waiting for this, I want to give the fans of my game an update.

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
@Chubigans
That's exactly my point of view. I knew my game won't go on Steam. Yet, it has given me an exposure that it has never got. I learned a lot from that...

Absolutely. To pay a one time fee of $100 and get ten thousand eyeballs on your game at minimum, from people who actually play and enjoy games, is crazy great.

BadSanta

Absolutely. To pay a one time fee of $100 and get ten thousand eyeballs on your game at minimum, from people who actually play and enjoy games, is crazy great.

Yeah, if you think about it, that's an advertising targeted to the people who are the most likely to buy your game or at least be interested in.

Only just noticed that Knock-Knock! is on Greenlight.

Really hope people up vote it as it's from Ice-Pick Lodge, developers behind such gems as Pathalogic, The Void and Cargo: The Quest for Gravity.

637x358.resizedimage

Game Concept.

There is a wooden house standing in the thick of the forest. A single man resides there.

As of late the house is visited by unusual Guests which knock on the window shutters inviting the hermit to take part in a game of hide-and-seek. The winning condition is simple, you have to remain alive and to retain your sanity till sunrise. This means that approaching the Visitors head-on might be a terrible idea.

As soon as the first Visitor emerges from the thicket - the countdown begins. Every passing hour brings the Guests closer to the house, its walls proving to be an obstacle they are well able to surmount. Something is already inside. Something is opening the window and banging on the cookware. Something has gained control of the cellar and the attic. The floorboards are creaking softly behind the wall.

Hiding alone would never suffice, the Visitors are well aware of your position. Thus, you would have to make your rounds of the house, searching for the breaches that let the creatures of the woods inside and doing your best to mend them.

You could prevent the walls from being breached even more if you keep a close eye on the telltale signs and manage to bring some light into the room which would soon become an area of paranormal activity. The poltergeist would fall back for a while, if only to reappear in some other part of the house.

You could come across some useful loot which might contribute to your survival. The assortment and the stats of the items is always random, and the inventory is limited to 5 slots, so you would have to choose your gear preferences every single night.

If you manage to survive till sunrise, another monster would dissolve and disappear in the first light of dawn. But if the Visitors manage to get you before the sun shines... A mere thought of this outcome is nowhere short of terrifying.

(Finished) Kickstarter page with more info.
http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1535515364/knock-knock

gabbo

not excited for these Greenlights at all. McPixel's the only one that's gone up so far, even though it's not the only one that's finished

This is the group I'm most likely going to go broke getting my hands on eventually.

Wok

With IGF 2013 (main entries, 404 error until the deadline), we will see this new trend going on: a link to Steam Greenlight. There are already some videos being posted on Youtube.

And a few pieces of news:

Steam Greenlight has been updated today, adding the ability for developers to post non-gaming software for consideration by the Community. Software in Steam Greenlight will work just like games, where we are looking to the community to provide data on what they would like to see made available via Steam.

Additionally, developers of games or software that are early in their development or creative process can now post their early work to start building a community and getting feedback from prospective customers. Concepts can be posted for free, but the voting on these items serves only to give the developer data and feedback and does not lead toward getting the game distributed on Steam.

To submit your Software or Concept, click the "Submit your item" button at the top of the main Steam Greenlight page.

Other changes made in this update:
  • The updated front page of Steam Greenlight now highlights recent submissions and Friends’ favorites as well as recent news
  • Developers can now add additional contributors to their items in Greenlight for the purpose of moderating and responding to community feedback
  • A new widget-creator has been added under the “About” section to help promote your Steam Greenlight entry
  • The FAQ has been updated to add some new questions and include information about Steam business in general
  • Steam Greenlight logos are now available for download, also listed under the “About” section

http://steamcommunity.com/workshop/browse/?appid=765&new=1&section=concepts

http://steamcommunity.com/workshop/browse/?appid=765&new=1&section=software

Archie

Second-rate Anihawk
Valve waives $100 Steam Greenlight fee in new "Concepts" section

Developers don't have to pay a cent to put their early work up in the newly launched Concepts section, where Steam users can view, comment and vote on their favorites, just like the rest of Greenlight. Games posted as Concepts won't be considered for distribution on Steam itself, though; for that, developers will still have to pay to get a standard Greenlight listing.

Greenlight is pretty flawed right now, but I'm glad Valve is trying to improve it.

Hello Gaffers,

Our game, Three Dead Zed, is currently available to view on Steam Greenlight:

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=103033270&searchtext=

When we initially released Three Dead Zed, it felt amazing because people were playing something we created. Like any other developer releasing their first game, we were bright eyed and bushy tailed. We are proud of our game, but the initial feedback was mixed. Most of the feedback reflected us in a positive light but comments regarding bugs or feelings that the game was incomplete upset us. It brought us back down to Earth. In a first time developer mistake, we got so accustomed to our game, that we forgot others will look at it and play it with a different perspective.

One year later, we’ve re-written the game and sought to make it a bigger and better experience. On our Greenlight page, we have a video showcasing our last build (v1.5) compared to the newest build (2.0). Hopefully, you will notice the effort we put forth to improve the game play experience.

If you have any questions, I’d love to hear them. We appreciate you stopping by and taking a look at our game.

- Fabian, Gentleman Squid Studio

Platy

Hello Gaffers,

Our game, Three Dead Zed, is currently available to view on Steam Greenlight:

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=103033270&searchtext=

I just want to say that for a long while a game with option to change to a diferent "character" like this was one of the games that I always wanted to make but will probably never make because whatever ... and to see Trine try it and fail so hugely with the idea was kinda sad ... and yet, your game shows in the trailer that everything that trine failed you guys got it right !

SPECIALY things like diferent movement atributes to each character and a level designed that it MATTERS what character you have

Platy

The IGF 2013 list is available! Let us see if there are some Greenlight links among the 589 entries.

http://igf.com/2012/10/2013_independent_games_festiva_1.html

Holy HUGE list !

From Bit.Trip.Runner 2, Papo & Yo, Dustforce and Dyad to GAF ones like Gunman Clive, Arcadecraft and pretty much every game posted on this page xD

Unbelievable that Mutant Mudds still hasn't been greenlit. Game shouldn't have had to even go through this process.

People hate "retro" style games

Wok

Holy HUGE list !

From Bit.Trip.Runner 2, Papo & Yo, Dustforce and Dyad to GAF ones like Gunman Clive, Arcadecraft and pretty much every game posted on this page xD

I am checking the webpages of games which pick my interest. When there is a demo, it is really cool. When there are only a few visuals, I am disappointed. But when there are visuals and devs ask to pay for the beta of the game, without a demo first, I am very disappointed: if you have an early version of the game, and if it is not too bad (which is the case if it is a beta), make it an early demo. Moreover, the IGF judges should have a playable version of the game, why not the rest of us?

ArjanN

I wouldn't say people hate them, but there's oversaturation I guess.

Also Mutant Mudds doesn't make a great impression if you just look at some screenshots.

I am checking the webpages of games which pick my interest. When there is a demo, it is really cool. When there are only a few visuals, I am disappointed. But when there are visuals and devs ask to pay for the beta of the game, without a demo first, I am very disappointed: if you have an early version of the game, and if it is not too bad (which is the case if it is a beta), make it an early demo. Moreover, the IGF judges should have a playable version of the game, why not the rest of us?

Probably because the gaming audience at large is terrible at judging games that are still work in progress.

Brak

It's taking a lot longer than I would have thought to get Greenlit games on Steam. I thought Black Mesa would be up a week or two after it was greenlit.
I'm sure there's a fair bit of work that needs to be done to convert a game from playable to Steam ready. Achievements alone would take a fair amount of coding and bug testing. Plus if a developer is really trying to make a professional launch for their game, they'll need to get all their PR and marketing materials prepared.

Gintoki

Next date to greenlight games is on Nov. 30th

Valve today revealed November 30th as the target date for announcing the next set of titles to launch via Steam Greenlight.

Given current voting, at least 10 more game titles are expected to be offered worldwide distribution agreements via Steam.

In addition, Valve hopes to announce Greenlight’s first graduating class of Software titles, with at least five Software titles targeted for inclusion in the group to be announced Nov 30th.

mrgone

I hope everyone voted for Shantae as well, as it would save them the discomfort of being stabbed by me in case they didn't.

Wow, do people who aren't carried by major publishers get to skip Greenlight at all now? It seems like they're just tossing everyone who didn't have a prior agreement into the same grinder. Boggles me that titles like Shantae and La Mulana are being forced through it.

Platy

Wow, do people who aren't carried by major publishers get to skip Greenlight at all now? It seems like they're just tossing everyone who didn't have a prior agreement into the same grinder. Boggles me that titles like Shantae and La Mulana are being forced through it.

Not sure if it is already safe to say that who had prior agreement are safe ... we will see with Runner 2 or that kitty game by Team Meat

Why ?
What is the problem ??

Ventron

A friend at Valve says they aren't forcing people to Greenlight, but skipping Greenlight is really only for games/developers with a following now.
Still doesn't explain Shantae I guess.

Catshade

A friend at Valve says they aren't forcing people to Greenlight, but skipping Greenlight is really only for games/developers with a following now.
Still doesn't explain Shantae I guess.

Then tell your friend that Valve should update their FAQ.

So you'd like to have your game on Steam?

At the moment Steam is currently not accepting new game submissions as we transition to our new Steam Greenlight process. You can find out more about Steam Greenlight here: http://steamcommunity.com/greenlight

2. What do you look for when accepting games for Steam?

Going forward, we’re putting the choice into the hands of customers through Steam Greenlight. You can find about more about Steam Greenlight here.

Yeah I dunno they seem to be forcing most developers through to use Greenlight outside of the really big guys.

I mean you can see certain publishers like Reverb who have published games on Steam before and now have 5-6 games on Greenlight.

Also I am not sure how you can quantify whether a game has a "following" or not. I mean La-Mulana definitely has its own following which would not be hard to find with a few google searches but they wanted us to go through Greenlight still.

Haunted

Is the pace for Greenlight on par with their previous approval process? Because I'm not feeling good at all about the amount of games that are in a waiting queue when they really should be sold in the store already.

Why ?
What is the problem ??
It looks like a mediocre dtp adventure.

But dat name! Brilliant.

Top Bottom