• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam Greenlight: 1000 games and counting, more Greenlit every few weeks

Gvaz

Banned
M3kNil.jpg

I have a friend working on this game called Darkout. I’m here to ask for any support to help them gather as many votes as possible on Steam Greenlight. They asked me to post here about the game not to Spam, they would really love to have some actual feedback from GAF.

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfile...s/?id=98158224

http://youtu.be/mrxG4uOjnUE

http://www.darkoutgame.com
That looks badass, thanks!

Saty

Neat tidbit about how Greenlight presents the data for the authors courtesy of the Blackspace Kickstarter (which should really get more attention) :

image-164894-full.jpg

Also some cool news about Steam Greenlight. Though valve seems to try to obscure much of the back end info to the author, they do give you some sort of idea on how good you're doing against other games in the top 100 on Greenlight. Have a look at this chart. There's quite a few games on Greenlight right now, I think a few thousand, it took us only 3 days to hit the top 100. Now we watch the # ranking rise (hopefully). But it looks promising since the tall green lines are our number of thumbs up votes per day, where the little grey lines are the number of thumbs up votes per day for the average game on the top 100 list.
http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1035580424/blackspace-plan-dig-defend-survive/posts

Platy

By increasing any game's chance, i'm making the chance of any game I REALLY want on greenligh smaller just because the ones I really want are old school platformers and those are not the most popular genre there, even if oniken and out there somewhere are FINISHED games that got high reviews anywhere they went.

So by voting up a game that looks fun but it sounds that will take a LONG time to get made (if they finish it) because it failed to get 300,000 on kickstarter, i'm trowing one vote in the trash, specialy if the game gets choosen to be greenlighted.

Haunted

So by voting up a game that looks fun but it sounds that will take a LONG time to get made (if they finish it) because it failed to get 300,000 on kickstarter, i'm trowing one vote in the trash, specialy if the game gets choosen to be greenlighted.
I still don't get what you're talking about.

morningbus

Serious Sam is a wicked gahbidge series for chowdaheads.
By increasing any game's chance, i'm making the chance of any game I REALLY want on greenligh smaller just because the ones I really want are old school platformers and those are not the most popular genre there, even if oniken and out there somewhere are FINISHED games that got high reviews anywhere they went.

Ah, I understand what you're saying.

I don't think it matters too much, though. It's just one vote and it isn't like you only have X amount of votes allotted per week.

Agreed that if a game's future is dependent upon a Kickstarter, the developers should wait until they have funding.

Platy

But then again i'm still kinda sad that Greenlight even ALLOWS non finished games there =P

I still don't get what you're talking about.

Long story short : It makes me sad that a game that might be greenlighted faster than any of those awesome and released games has a considerable chance of NEVER being released because it needs 300,000 dolars to get finished.
It is a waste of greenlight

Aaron

Translation: The kickstarter is giving exposure and ratings to an unfinished game, while there are a number of finished and good games that won't get this bump because they aren't begging for money.

Platy

Translation: The kickstarter is giving exposure and ratings to an unfinished game, while there are a number of finished and good games that won't get this bump because they aren't begging for money.

And lets not ignore that the game sounds WAY too much for a group so small of people ... there are lots of problems when thinking too big when doing an independant game.
See the FEZ novel =P
And of course the chance of the game not being finished EVEN if it gets funding, since a game development takes money and time and things that you can't predict can happen and fuck your life and make you change plans

And it don't have more chance of being greenlighted BECAUSE of the kickstarter exposure .. I mean .. they have little money for what they are asking ... it has more chance because it has "pretty graphics" compared to those "ugly pixel art retro games" =P

Well the fact that Blackspace is climbing up on Greenlight might give the Kickstarter a substantial boost.
I hope so because it looks like my kind of game.

Although yeah I agree that developers who already have a finished product need to be given some kind of preference. If the next batch of greenlit games are also products that probably won't release until last year I am gonna be a bit miffed. So many games that are already complete and could miss out on awesome chances like the Christmas sales, etc. if they aren't greenlit soon.

ArjanN

I hope for the next batch of greenlit games on the 15th they focus on more complete games. Stuff like Giana Sisters, Shantae, Gray Matter that are essentially complete and can come out almost immediately, like McPixel.

gabbo

Afterfall: Insanity is also complete and should get voted for!

We don't get enough scifi.

Grabbed it through GMG, like it quite a bit. Voted as soon as I saw it on Steam just for those out there that go Steam-only.

If only I could get certain CIS titles to try Greenlight.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
Grabbed it through GMG, like it quite a bit. Voted as soon as I saw it on Steam just for those out there that go Steam-only.
I'm not super exclusive with Steam, but if I know it will end up there I will wait. Also, I figure they will do achievements too which are a guilty for me.

microtubule

Voted for MaK, looks interesting!

and also voted for "Cook, Serve, Delicious!" - I like the art style but the drawback is I can tell it will make me very hungry for real food by playing it.

others voted for recently:

Gray Matter
College Ruled Universe
Darkout
Talisman Prologue
5 Card Hero
Elder Signs: Omen

VALIS

Cross-posting from the Pinball Arcade thread..

The Pinball Arcade
We're still trying to get the PC version of the Pinball Arcade greenlit on Steam. Our progress bar now shows that we're at 82%! We're not sure if that's 82% to being greenlit or 82% to being in contention, but please take a moment and register your vote by following the link below. Please leave a comment for Valve there too if you haven't already!

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=95907686&searchtext

Sounds good... I think.

KDR_11k

I sure hope they don't limit the number of accepted entries per batch, they should accept everything that's good (and use the votes as a guide on what to look at first but not as the only measure).

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
I sure hope they don't limit the number of accepted entries per batch, they should accept everything that's good (and use the votes as a guide on what to look at first but not as the only measure).

I hope they grab basically the top ten each month, and then whatever reaches 100% whenever it reaches 100%.

Wok

Although Contrast is not greenlit (maybe it will be with the next batch next Monday), Compulsion Games shows a screenshot with what looks like unlocking an achievement within Steam.

It is some kind of use of Steam Greenlight for charity in a way similar to using Kickstarter.

We are going to hide the Extra Life 2012 Logo somewhere in our world (in shadows, of course). When you find it, you will be greeted with the cheers of the team, some boisterous clapping, shouting and the most important part, a list of all those who donated $24 dollars or more to our Extra Life 2012 team.

21 more games Greenlit:
http://steamcommunity.com/games/765/announcements/detail/1320937763755446194

Greenlight’s Second Set of Titles…
Afterfall InSanity Extended Edition
AirBuccaneers
Blockscape
Contrast
Fly'n
Folk Tale
Forge
Giana Sisters: Twisted Dreams (Project Giana)
Gnomoria
Interstellar Marines
Lost Story: The Last Days of Earth
Miasmata
Miner Wars 2081
NEOTOKYO
Octodad: Dadliest Catch
Perpetuum
POSTAL 2 COMPLETE
Secrets of Grindea
The Intruder
The Stanley Parable: HD Remix