• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam Holiday Sale 2011 | Valve Has Run Out Of 3rd Party Coupons/Games (Dec 19-Jan 2)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I didn't spend all that much.

Deus Ex: HR
GTA IV
Serious Sam HD: TFE
Super Meat Boy
Universe Sandbox
And I bought Bastion for a friend.

I won HL2:EP1, which I gave to a friend. A few valve coupons. 50% off The Void. 50% off Bioshock 2.

I also got a copy of Sol Survivor, which I'm hoping I might be able to trade.

iammeiam

Do you think if you change your address you'd not get the tax? I've been wondering about that, but I don't want to do anything shady.

If you moved your billing zip code out of Washington, I imagine it'd stop calculating tax, but you'd need a card with a billing zip code out-of-state for that to work, too. I just console myself with the knowledge that, between Steam and Amazon, I'll be less-impacted by the eventual imposition of taxes on all online purchase than somebody living in a currently "tax free" state.

Artofwar420

If you moved your billing zip code out of Washington, I imagine it'd stop calculating tax, but you'd need a card with a billing zip code out-of-state for that to work, too. I just console myself with the knowledge that, between Steam and Amazon, I'll be less-impacted by the eventual imposition of taxes on all online purchase than somebody living in a currently "tax free" state.

Yeah, that's not a bad way to think about. I'm pretty used to paying taxes with Steam now, so it'll be less of a blow or just not a big deal.

BY2K

Membero Americo
I spent like 40$ alone on Secret Saxton that I kept giving out to people on the GAF server. Not a cent on games for myself... I got a copy of Portal 2 for friend. Said she could kiss me right about now.

Feels good to be generous, sometimes.

:)

undecided

Anybody want any of these coupons?:

-50% The Wonderful End of the World
-50% Alien Breed 2: Assault
-50% Hector: Badge of Carnage
-50% Operation Flashpoint Red River

goober

I spent like 40$ alone on Secret Saxton that I kept giving out to people on the GAF server. Not a cent on games for myself... I got a copy of Portal 2 for friend. Said she could kiss me right about now.

Feels good to be generous, sometimes.

:)
... So did she kiss you?

My first steam sale the total damage

Bought:
Alice Madness Returns
Anomaly Warzone Earth
Atom Zombie Smasher
Audiosurf
Batman Arkham Asylum
Beat Hazard
Bit Trip Beat
Bulletstorm
Dead Space
Dead Space 2
Defense Grid
Dungeons of Dredmor
EYE
Skyrim
Flight Control HD
Frozen Synapse
GTA Complete
Grid
Hard Reset
Just Cause 2
Mafia
Mafia 2
Magicka
Metro 2033
Payday
Psychonauts
Rock of Ages
Solar 2
Knights of the Old Republic
Shogun 2
Tropico 4
Universe Sandbox
Worms Reloaded

Got in trade

Dungeon Defenders
Half-Life 2
Half-Life 2 Episode 1
Portal
Renegade Ops
The Ship
Terraria

Yeah I think it's safe to say I enjoyed my first Steam sale, my wallet didn't though

Lafiel

と呼ぶがよい
Man I always feel empty after a Steam sale ends, since I have no more daily deals to look forward to.;_;

My haul

Alice madness returns (gifted by a friend)
Bulletstorm $5.00
Sonic Generations $10.18
Bastion $5.09
Serious sam 3 BFE $10 (via getgames)
Deus ex : human revolution $16.99
Spacechem $2.49
Deus ex : missing link DLC $5.09
RAGE $20.9

Total - $75.74

And I usually spend around $200 every steam sale, feelsgood.gif >:

deleted

I bought a few things this time:

Renegade Ops 4-Pack
Dungeon Defenders 4-pack
Sonic Generations
Bastion
Alice: Madness Returns
Anomaly: Warzone Earth
Revenge of the Titans
Costume Quest
Fable: Lost Chapters
Psychonauts
Frozen Synapse
Audiosurf
Rock of Ages

Thats not too bad, I guess...
Anomaly was the only one I bought for the Achievement and its fun, so thats a plus.

I was at a LAN during the sale for 2 days and it was lots of fun to get the Achievements in multiplayer games. We played more games than ever before at a LAN and tried lots of new ones. All in all, it was a much better ARG than the potato one.

Aw did I seriously miss the end of the sale? I thought it was lasting till January 2nd, so I was waiting until today to buy all my games in case they went on sale like it said in the OP, and now it's January 2nd and it looks like it's already over. Maybe if I change my timezone or something?

Aw did I seriously miss the end of the sale? I thought it was lasting till January 2nd, so I was waiting until today to buy all my games in case they went on sale like it said in the OP, and now it's January 2nd and it looks like it's already over. Maybe if I change my timezone or something?

Sale ended today at 10PST. Changing your timezone won't help unfortunately. Yesterday was the recap.

FreeMufasa

I didn't purchase anything. I have most of the stuff I want from last years sale and i'll probably buy the games that released this year in the 2012 sale.

Hellcrow

Easy off this year.

Skyrim
Bastion
Terraria

BUT

Did buy Witcher 2 and Planescape: Torment from GOG.

Almost finished with Planescape: Torment, and Battlefield 3 still going fresh, I have a lot to see forward to!.

EDIT: Forgot the Humblie Indie bundle for 6 $ = Shitload of games.

Final:

Audiosurf: $2.50
Bastion: $5.09
Garry's Mod: $2.50
L4D2: $5.00
Magicka (complete): $6.24

TOTAL: $21.33

Pretty happy with my purchases.

BY2K

Membero Americo
She hasn't played Portal 2 yet?

Clearly not girlfriend material anyways.

She never really had a PC to run those kind of games until recently when she got her new laptop.

So I just got her a copy of the game during the Encore Day.

Bought:

Assassin's Creed Brotherhood
Starwars Republic Commando
Lucasarts Jedi Knight Bundle
Humble Indie Bundle 4
Humble Indie Bundle 4 Extra Bonus
Humble Indie Bundle 4
Aliens vs Predator
A.R.E.S.
Psychonauts
Recettear: An Item Shop's Tale
Fable The Lost Chapters
Portal 2
Bastion

Won:

Serious Sam 1 HD
Worms Crazy Golf
Useless coupons and coal.

Overall, not too much damage and I got a crapload of games on the cheap!

Universaldamps

Neo Member
Just bought Duke Nukem Forever for .99c from Amazon. Another game to add to my vast pile. My expectations are at their lowest, so hopefully it will be bareable to play. *cough*

Raxus

Can someone help me. For some reason Batman: AC is not recognizing the DLC I bought for the game. How can I play as Robin or Nightwing?

Can someone help me. For some reason Batman: AC is not recognizing the DLC I bought for the game. How can I play as Robin or Nightwing?
I had the same issue and registering them on my Live account (i.e. using on xbox.com the product codes found in Steam) and downloading them through the Games for Windows marketplace software worked. I'm not sure which parts are necessary but that's what worked for me 2-3 weeks ago (whenever these were released).

Was gifted Borderlands. But for the past two plays, it never saved my game. Anyone else have this issue?

Steam also seems to be registering my acheevs, but they still also show up in the "Locked" section.

filipe

Just wondering if anyone wants to trade for a copy of Risen? A friend just sent it to me out of the blue (it's what his coal crafted) because his laptop can't run it.

I don't really care what the game offered is, as long as it's not absurd. Just PM if you're interested.

RoboShmup

Banned
When do they do the drawing for the coal? Did they already announce winners or anything?

Also, can I have an unreleased game in my wishlist? (I've got BioShock Infinite in there)

gabbo

When do they do the drawing for the coal? Did they already announce winners or anything?

Also, can I have an unreleased game in my wishlist? (I've got BioShock Infinite in there)

I believe they did, as I no longer have any coal in my inventory. Not sure if winners have been announced though. And yes, you can have one in there. It was to be unlocked/decrypted upon release I believe.

Pretty solid sale IMO. Amazon/GMG/etc. beat some of Steam's prices on the daily deals, but Steam still delivered on the small and indie games, and there were some higher-profile surprises (L.A. Noire, Skyrim, Batman, etc.)

As much as the coal thing could get annoying, I enjoyed winning a few random games. Giving out DOTA 2 invites during this was a pretty clever idea, too. Most of the coupons are totally useless though -- I'd really like to know the rationale behind those.

My haul:

L.A. Noire
Rochard
Fallout: New Vegas + DLC
Edge
Serious Sam: The Random Encounter
Space Pirates and Zombies(SPAZ)
Cities in Motion
Solar 2
Bulletstorm
Sonic Generations
Alice Madness Returns
Dark Void Zero
Defense Grid: The Awakening DLC: You Monster!
Costume Quest
Total: about $75 for 13 games + DLC

Received as gift:
E.Y.E.: Divine Cybermancy

Won:
Serious Sam HD: The First Encounter
SpaceChem
Civilization IV
Oddworld: Munch's Oddysee
Coupons

Status
Not open for further replies.