• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam In-Home Streaming and Steam Link thread

NetMapel

Guilty White Male Mods Gave Me This Tag
I just got a steam link and I love it! I get so much more game play done now that I don't have to sit at my uncomfortable desk. Playing Rise of the Tomb Raider has really made me unhappy with my old 40" Olevia TV though. It's nearly impossible to read the text.

I'm thinking of getting a 55"-60" TV. Are there are any recommendations for use with a Steam Link? Something with low lag. There's no reason to go over 1080p right?

Man, I miss having good vision. Maybe I should just get glasses instead. :p
Samsung KS8000. There is even a dedicate thread to that tv here on the forums: http://m.neogaf.com/showthread.php?t=1308315

That doesn't sound right. Wonder if it's doing the RGB colour space wrong.

Do we know what RGB space the Link is outputting? I assume it's Limited space and not full RGB, but I haven't been able to find anything on it.

Also is it possible to play Origin games via the Link? Hoping to play Andromeda on the TV if the UI on the PC version is suitable that is.

pestul

I know I can jack the AA settings for 1080p, but does SteamLink support downsampling from higher resolutions? I get the impression it will just revert to 1080p automatically and bypass it.

Hasney

I know I can jack the AA settings for 1080p, but does SteamLink support downsampling from higher resolutions? I get the impression it will just revert to 1080p automatically and bypass it.

The downsampling will happen at the host end, but you can. Just pick any resolution and the game will run in it then convert to a 1080p video to the client.

Bought a Link during the last sale for under 30 euros including shipping. Great deal. While I'm super impressed with the image quality and minimal input lag, the real kicker is how amazingly well it handles controllers.

So far, I've connected my Xbox One S controller, Wii U Pro controller and 8bitdo NES30 Pro. No adapters, no fuss. The beta client even lets you customize the Xinput mappings. I haven't run into a single problem so far and after struggling with x360ce, Joy2Key and the like for years, that's mindboggling.

I'm thinking about getting a second Xbox One Controller. Does anyone know if you can connect more than one S controller via Bluetooth or do you need the adapter like you do on Windows 10?

Can anyone tell me if this gives 1:1 quality image on the TV yet? Looking through the thread it looks like this is a "sort of to yes'ish" but I can't tell for sure.

I don't understand what the problem is with this... surely it can't be that hard. If I can stream a movie over my network why cannot a videogame do the same thing? Why can't just the image and sound be streamed in the same way or does that become a latency thing? I want to be able to play my PC on my bedroom TV and have no alternative solution but I'm so picky that I'd rather wait to play things perfectly than at a slightly sub-perfect version on the Steam Link.

For owners who have it. Can you notice the difference? When I tried Steam Link from my Comp to the HTPC it was noticeably laggy on controller and noticeable lower graphics quality as well as massive dithering. Still like this?

Is there any other alternative?

daninthemix

Anyone have any luck using this with Uplay? Whenever Uplay launches I get prompted for UAC elevation, which breaks streaming.

Ubisoft are so ghetto.

TrisMcC

Neo Member
I just recently got a Steam Link ($42) and a Steam Controller ($35 on Amazon through some fluke) and I have to say, the use case is compelling.

My have been PC gaming much less lately due to the anti-social nature (my PC is in my office in the basement, where I also work) and wanting to be around my kids more. I have the Steam Link on a different floor, still connected via gigabit ethernet. I have the Client settings set to "Beautiful", I try to match resolutions between the render resolution and the display resolution, and I do not notice any frame timing issues, or compression artifacts, or anything really. It's like my monster PC is under my TV. The sound quality is imperceptible to me, and it is playing through a dedicated 2.0 system.

I have played the limited racing games in my library (Grid 2 and Sonic All-Star Racing Transformed), platformers like Spelunky and VVVVVV and Super Meat Boy, FPSes like Portal and Call of Juarez: Gunslinger, and it all works beautifully. I no longer want to bring my PC upstairs, which I used to do every couple of months.

pestul

I agree. With my 5GHz repeater, I'm constantly amazed at how high quality the streaming is to the SL. I'm excited to think of where Cemu will be by the end of this year since it's already great streaming to my SL.

Anyone experiencing that the mouse cursor is stuck in the middle of the screen when streaming?

I've tried it on several games with a Steam Controller and a regular 360 controller and I'm stuck with the cursor in the middle.

Is there a known way to make it go away?

This thing continues to be buggy for me.

Games minimising on their own, or the screen just hanging whilst on pc it's reacting to button inputs.

I don't think I can have a session without it failing in some way. Pity, because when it does work it's fantastic.

daninthemix

Games minimising on their own, or the screen just hanging whilst on pc it's reacting to button inputs.

I don't think I can have a session without it failing in some way. Pity, because when it does work it's fantastic.

It's basically flawless for me - literally a living-room console, leading me to believe your issues lie with your PC (e.g. background applications stealing focus, that kind of thing).

Hasney

It's basically flawless for me - literally a living-room console, leading me to believe your issues lie with your PC (e.g. background applications stealing focus, that kind of thing).

Yeah, I agree. Outside of games with weird launchers, it's perfect. Hell, I even leave my PS4 in my streaming room now and use the Elgato software to stream it to my TV if I want to be lazy on the sofa rather than move the console.

SomTervo

I was having a bunch of issues until I changed to a Wired/LAN connection. The wifi was being interfered with by too many other devices.

Anyone experiencing that the mouse cursor is stuck in the middle of the screen when streaming?

I've tried it on several games with a Steam Controller and a regular 360 controller and I'm stuck with the cursor in the middle.

Is there a known way to make it go away?

Usually I just restart the whole process and it's gone.

daninthemix

So just to be clear - there is no way to set a default controller config? I literally have to go Manage Controlller > Set Gamepad config on every single game that I want my PS4 controller to act as a 360 controller on?

That seems like utter madness.

Afrodium

Banned
Lately I've had a bug where I can't rid of the performance information once I've turned it on without stopping the stream or turning off my Steam Link. If I go into the settings and turn off performance info the graph will pop up on the lower right of the screen and can't be removed. I've opted out of the beta and still experience the issue. Has anyone else run into this?

So just to be clear - there is no way to set a default controller config? I literally have to go Manage Controlller > Set Gamepad config on every single game that I want my PS4 controller to act as a 360 controller on?

That seems like utter madness.

I've never played a game with gamepad support that hasn't automatically map Xbox inputs onto my Dualshock 4.

MaDKaT

Just wanted to chime in (very late to the party) and say damn, I wish I set this thing up last year. Been sitting on my steamlink since black friday and now sort of kicking myself. Performance has far exceeded my expectations and Ive had zero issues with my DS4 pairing. Last few nights I have been delighted to play my games without the hassle of moving my computer to my living room or sitting alone in my office(fiance and I like to play together). Certainly not without its quirks. Mostly for non steam games (just needs additional configs) but very welcome surprise for me.

Guess a question. if anyone still looks

I do have a 4K TV, a robust network and PC. Is the shield TV worth it? Would be nice to do native 4k but Im pretty content with down sampling to 1080p.

daninthemix

I do have a 4K TV, a robust network and PC. Is the shield TV worth it? Would be nice to do native 4k but Im pretty content with down sampling to 1080p.

I don't have one, but I've read multiple times on the Steam Link forums that Shield TV is the superior streaming device, as it can be completely stutter free and can now stream UWP games (and 4K, like you say).

I don't have one, but I've read multiple times on the Steam Link forums that Shield TV is the superior streaming device, as it can be completely stutter free and can now stream UWP games (and 4K, like you say).

Does it work with Steam games as well?

Also what is everyone getting in the Network Test thing on the Link? I can't find a "this is good" reference level, so I don't know if everything is good or not.

daninthemix

Does it work with Steam games as well?

Also what is everyone getting in the Network Test thing on the Link? I can't find a "this is good" reference level, so I don't know if everything is good or not.

Yeah I believe it works with everything.

Not sure about the network test, but I have both PC and Link plugged into a gigabit ethernet switch with QoS enabled. I would hesitate to recommend the link on wireless.

Yeah I believe it works with everything.

Not sure about the network test, but I have both PC and Link plugged into a gigabit ethernet switch with QoS enabled. I would hesitate to recommend the link on wireless.

I'm trying a different bunch of ways to connect my Link these days, and so far the best I can do is his powerlines where it's:

Frame Loss 0%
Netowrk time: 15,14 ms
Variance: 6,56ms

But the results vary a lot and I'm curious if it should be better then that for optimal streaming and what the ideal numbers are.

daninthemix

I'm trying a different bunch of ways to connect my Link these days, and so far the best I can do is his powerlines where it's:

Frame Loss 0%
Netowrk time: 15,14 ms
Variance: 6,56ms

But the results vary a lot and I'm curious if it should be better then that for optimal streaming and what the ideal numbers are.

As I said, for optimal streaming wired ethernet is the only way. Powerline and wireless will both have variance because the amount of noise / contention on the mains / in the air will vary, so your experience will vary too.

As I said, for optimal streaming wired ethernet is the only way.
While ethernet is optimal (especially if image quality is crucial to you), in my experience wireless can be more than sufficient. I moved house and went from an HTPC on 1Gb ethernet to a Steam Link on a 5Ghz wireless bridge (streaming 1080p 5.1 in both cases) and while there are occasionally artifacts, it's more than capable.

No, seriously, VirtualHere has been functioning in the exact opposite manner which I intended it to, for me.

It just doesn't work. All of my shit only works when VirtualHere is turned off.

Mr. Hyde

How does wiring this with Ethernet work? I have my router near my tv and my PC is in a room on a full bar 5ghz wifi signal. If I wire the steam link to Ethernet, should I probably get a good picture?

It's been on sale at this price (at least in Australia - it's $36AUD right now) every month or two since mid last year.

I'd be happy if there was one that did higher resolutions, and used h265 though.

Hasney

Can't get my controller working in certain games since the latest beta update (the one that pops up to let you name and give a default config for the controller). Will have to play around.

Flandy

I have a 21:9 monitor. Is it possible to set it up so a Steam Link automatically switches from 3440x1440 to 1920x1080. Considering getting one but if I have to manually change the resolution every time I think I'd have to pass

Interested in Steam Link. It's not different than having a laptop connect to your PC right? If so, have they found d a way around needing to leave your PC unlocked aside from remoting to it?

MoogleMan

I have a 21:9 monitor. Is it possible to set it up so a Steam Link automatically switches from 3440x1440 to 1920x1080. Considering getting one but if I have to manually change the resolution every time I think I'd have to pass

I have a 21:9 monitor and couldn't get it working reliably.
What I ended up doing was going into steam's big picture mode, settings, display, resolution, and set the target monitor to my secondary 16:9 1080p monitor. That way, when I start streaming to my steam link, it automatically switches to the 16:9 monitor when entering big picture mode and the problem is fixed.

Yeah, but it seems to be on sale at a lot of places, and I don't remember seeing it this low before.

But I could just be losing my marbles.

It's been on sale for $20 pretty often. Well worth it at that price. I grabbed a spare (bedroom maybe?) the last time it was on sale for that much.

sTiTcH AU

Got one of these today, who could say no to $36 AUS. Had a few issues setting it all up, the first three games I tried didn't boot but eventually got things going.

Just wondering how much latency everyone is getting with it. I have it set to balanced with a max bandwidth of 50mbit and on Black ops 2 it was around 35-45ms. Adding the ~30ms from my tv (OLED55B6) makes the game very difficult to control.

Is there any way to improve the latency while still keeping a decent image?

Got one of these today, who could say no to $36 AUS. Had a few issues setting it all up, the first three games I tried didn't boot but eventually got things going.

Just wondering how much latency everyone is getting with it. I have it set to balanced with a max bandwidth of 50mbit and on Black ops 2 it was around 35-45ms. Adding the ~30ms from my tv (OLED55B6) makes the game very difficult to control.

Is there any way to improve the latency while still keeping a decent image?

Are you running the network wired or wireless? Wireless can sometimes add tons of latency.

Interested in Steam Link. It's not different than having a laptop connect to your PC right? If so, have they found d a way around needing to leave your PC unlocked aside from remoting to it?

Unfortunately, there's still no way around that - you'll have to keep your desktop unlocked.

My only complaint with the shield is the controller vibration doesn't seem to work unless it's the official controller. My Xbox one controller doesn't

Top Bottom