• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam In-home Streaming Officially Released

Status
Not open for further replies.
Maybe make a thread in the steam group or post here for Slouken to see. There have been games before which got controller support added for streaming.

Unicorn

Tried with my netbook today. Pretty much didn't work (tried skullgirls).

Multiple factors may be at play:
My netbook has a hard time even playing youtube videos.
My internet connection is utter SHIT.
My router ain't that great.
I was trying it wirelessly.
My desktop computer has been having memory leak issues that I can't figure out (Not RAM related, maybe drivers?) (also, this wasn't affecting how Skullgirls ran on my desktop).

KuGsj.gif

Will try more things tonight after I finish up school finals stuff.

I swore I saw this answered before in this very thread but I can't seem to find it.

Does the video card on the displaying device need to be the same brand as the host machine? I've been looking at replacing and moving some parts out of my current machine to make a device I can stream to but I wasn't sure if I should grab an AMD card to match my host machine or not.

I swore I saw this answered before in this very thread but I can't seem to find it.

Does the video card on the displaying device need to be the same brand as the host machine? I've been looking at replacing and moving some parts out of my current machine to make a device I can stream to but I wasn't sure if I should grab an AMD card to match my host machine or not.

Not at all.

kiguel182

So, can this be done with non-steam games? I heard it could but I don't know how.

I added GW2 to the library of the client PC but when I open Steam on my mac it doesn't show up so I can't stream it.

Hasney

So, can this be done with non-steam games? I heard it could but I don't know how.

I added GW2 to the library of the client PC but when I open Steam on my mac it doesn't show up so I can't stream it.

Restart both Steam clients. Shortcuts work for me though so not sure what's going on.

kiguel182

Actually I think the Windows PC "sees" the Mac but the Mac doesn't "see" the Windows.

That might be why things aren't showing up.

EDIT: I take it back. They are both not seeing each other.

spanna

If you have the res set to auto and its dropping it to 1566x800 (or something like that)
does that mean its the power of the client not enough or the network too slow (network is gb and its wired to router) or is it based on what res the client laptop can do?
I was streaming to an i3 laptop (so single core) I am wondering if a intel Nuc i3 or i5 is the way to have a permanent decent steam stream box under my tv.

Cheers

KHlover

Banned
Just streamed Super Street Fighter IV and to my biggest suprise it was...playable. I'd say about 0.1 - 0.2s of lag, which for a casual like me totally acceptable (I honestly encounter higher lag in most online matches).

Cant get controller inputs to work in Dark Souls 2, every other single game works but DS2, anyone has any ideas why?

I just tried it out with my setup and it worked fine but I guess that has to do with me using a xbox 360 controller.

Server: Windows 7 PC with wireless 360 controller adapter
Client: Early 2011 Macbook Pro

The framerate isn't the smooth 60FPS I was getting on pc but totally playable. I haven't really played with the settings yet though. Really shocked at how well this works.

I just tried it out with my setup and it worked fine but I guess that has to do with me using a xbox 360 controller.

Server: Windows 7 PC with wireless 360 controller adapter
Client: Early 2011 Macbook Pro

The framerate isn't the smooth 60FPS I was getting on pc but totally playable. I haven't really played with the settings yet though. Really shocked at how well this works.

Is the 360 controller plugged to the server or the client?

Tested a few games with my Macbook Air connecting to my gaming PC. Most games were fine. However games that don't launch instantly don't work. For example whenever you launch Hitman Absolution it has the configuration window show up everytime instead of just instantly going into the game and this causes issues since you have to manually do this on the PC the game is running on.

Mugatu

Ugh. I got this to work exactly once. Since then my computers do not see each other. I've opened up the port they suggest but nothing's worked.

EDIT: Nevermind - just tried one last reboot of both my macbook and PC and it worked - I'm not updating or rebooting anything again.

If anyone is interested I was able to fix my issues with Dark Souls 2, In Computer Management of Windows I had to disable anything that said "Game Controller HID", must have been drivers for old controllers or something.

This was in the server of course, the client still has all the DS3 drivers.

Worked as a charm after.

scitek

Tested a few games with my Macbook Air connecting to my gaming PC. Most games were fine. However games that don't launch instantly don't work. For example whenever you launch Hitman Absolution it has the configuration window show up everytime instead of just instantly going into the game and this causes issues since you have to manually do this on the PC the game is running on.

Can't you rename the exe to the name of the config launcher and make it bypass it?

I tested this out over the weekend now that its in the beta client.

Its glorious. A game changer, at least for me.

Played Arkham Origins through my HTPC (think it has a GT 610) streaming from my beefy tower in my office. A stutter here and there but nothing too bad.

Decided to give this a shot with it being in open beta but I'm not having much luck at all. I get massive flickering on Metro Last Light immediately following the intro splash logos, a black screen on Skyrim showing what looks like the corner of a windowed mode screen in the upper left (game is not set to run in windowed mode), Dishonored displays a black screen with no sound, and Super Meat Boy crashes on start-up. All tests perform the same on wired and wireless, and I've run into the same situation on 2 client laptops (all Dell family laptops though) so it makes me think like it could be something weird with the host.

My host computer has an SLi setup, but I've attempted disabling it as well with no luck. It's on the latest WHQL drivers from March, so no Beta drivers. Tried both with hardware encoding disabled and enabled on the host machine, and hardware decoding disabled and enabled on the client laptops. Bandwidth has been left at unlimited and also tried on 30Mb capped as well.

Specs below.

Host PC:
i5-3570k @ 4.2GHz
GTX 670 SLi (attempted with SLi disabled as well)
16GB RAM
2x 240GB SSD in Raid 0

Client Laptops:
Laptop 1:
i5-2520M @2.5GHz
NVIDIA NVS 4200M
4GB RAM

Laptop 2:
Core2Duo T7250 @2GHz
Intel GM965
4GB RAM

Chuckpebble

So can I play a game hosted on Windows 7 on my MacBook using a Wii CC connected to the Mac via Bluetooth? Or does the controller need to be connected to the host machine?

So can I play a game hosted on Windows 7 on my MacBook using a Wii CC connected to the Mac via Bluetooth? Or does the controller need to be connected to the host machine?

The controller can be connected to the client computer, no need to worry about it being tied back to the host.

Decided to give this a shot with it being in open beta but I'm not having much luck at all. I get massive flickering on Metro Last Light immediately following the intro splash logos, a black screen on Skyrim showing what looks like the corner of a windowed mode screen in the upper left (game is not set to run in windowed mode), Dishonored displays a black screen with no sound, and Super Meat Boy crashes on start-up. All tests perform the same on wired and wireless, and I've run into the same situation on 2 client laptops (all Dell family laptops though) so it makes me think like it could be something weird with the host.

My host computer has an SLi setup, but I've attempted disabling it as well with no luck. It's on the latest WHQL drivers from March, so no Beta drivers. Tried both with hardware encoding disabled and enabled on the host machine, and hardware decoding disabled and enabled on the client laptops. Bandwidth has been left at unlimited and also tried on 30Mb capped as well.

Specs below.

Host PC:
i5-3570k @ 4.2GHz
GTX 670 SLi (attempted with SLi disabled as well)
16GB RAM
2x 240GB SSD in Raid 0

Client Laptops:
Laptop 1:
i5-2520M @2.5GHz
NVIDIA NVS 4200M
4GB RAM

Laptop 2:
Core2Duo T7250 @2GHz
Intel GM965
4GB RAM

Hmm, might be a driver issue. Though you're streaming from desktop, people with notebooks using Nvidia GPU had issues. Switching to integrated helped them. For you maybe a beta driver might do the trick. A couple of days ago Slouken said Nvidia are still working on it.

Did you try to stream between the two laptops?

You can always try and post in the official group in the Bug Reports section, Slouken might see and respond.

Hmm, might be a driver issue. Though you're streaming from desktop, people with notebooks using Nvidia GPU had issues. Switching to integrated helped them. For you maybe a beta driver might do the trick. A couple of days ago Slouken said Nvidia are still working on it.

Did you try to stream between the two laptops?

You can always try and post in the official group in the Bug Reports section, Slouken might see and respond.

I can test out the beta driver later on this afternoon and try again. As for streaming between the two laptops, I have not done that but that's a good idea. I'll post in the Steam Group if I still end up encountering issues after trying those suggestions.

So I'm just trying this out and launched Crysis 3 (a none Steam game) when I exited the game I'm continuing to stream my desktop. How do I force quit Streaming without closing Steam itself?

Edit: Ctrl alt delete seems to do the trick.

I don't know if this if this has been asked or not but can the host pc be used for other things and still be able to stream?

My gaming PC doubles as an HTPC. Would my fiance be able to watch a movie on the host while I stream to my laptop?

In-Home Streaming, a new feature of Steam, is now released to all users. Players who have multiple computers at home can immediately take advantage of the new feature. When you log into Steam on two computers on the same network, they automatically connect, allowing you to remotely install, launch, and play games as though you were sitting at the remote PC.

Steam In-Home Streaming allows you to play your PC games on lower-end computers such as a laptop or home theater PC, or a computer running another operating system such as OS X, SteamOS, or Linux.

When you play a game using In-Home Streaming, video and audio are sent through your home network from your high-end gaming PC to another device in your home. From here, your keyboard, mouse, and controller input is sent back to the remote computer.

For more information, visit http://steampowered.com/streaming.

http://steamcommunity.com/groups/homestream/announcements/detail/1371656528221232928

I just used this.

My host PC
I5-2400 Sandy Bridge
AMD 7870 Tahiti Le
8GB RAM
Cat 5 internet(30Meg)

My Client
Intel Celeron G530 Sandy Bridge 2.4GHz
Intel HD Graphics
4GB RAM
Crappy USB WiFi adapter

I got prompts from Steam telling me that my network was slow and my encoding was slow.

I streamed Dark Souls 2 and it wasn't too bad. I would say it looked slightly worse than the PS3 version. It had some major hitches occasionally, but was totally playable. I don't know if it's supposed to matter, but it seemed to run better when I changed the resolution from 1080p to 900p. Playing at 900p gave me black borders though. Over all I think it's very promising.

Hasney

I just used this.

My host PC
I5-2400 Sandy Bridge
AMD 7870 Tahiti Le
8GB RAM
Cat 5 internet(30Meg)

My Client
Intel Celeron G530 Sandy Bridge 2.4GHz
Intel HD Graphics
4GB RAM
Crappy USB WiFi adapter

I got prompts from Steam telling me that my network was slow and my encoding was slow.

I streamed Dark Souls 2 and it wasn't too bad. I would say it looked slightly worse than the PS3 version. It had some major hitches occasionally, but was totally playable. I don't know if it's supposed to matter, but it seemed to run better when I changed the resolution from 1080p to 900p. Playing at 900p gave me black borders though. Over all I think it's very promising.

Your resolution will matter, yes. Basically it will send less data over the network the lower the resolution.

Setsuna

Looks like im still waiting for someone to come up with a program to desktop capture a monitor and display it on a smart tv in another room

Chris R

So looking at older screen shots it seems like the FPS limiting option was removed for the launch yesterday? Any chance of getting it back? I want to cap at 30FPS for playability reasons.

Ellite25

My macbook won't log into Steam, saying there's a problem with the internet connection. Anyone else experiencing this issue?

mbmonk

Thanks for creating this thread OP. I have a laptop in my den and my gaming PC upstairs. Streaming over a powerline adapter is giving me roughly 720p @ 30fps.

Streaming gives me some great options. If I want comfy couch, I sacrifice the visuals, and can play in my den. If I want max graphics or playing some twitch game I can still play in my office.

I have played both XCOM and Deus Ex Human Revolution in my den streaming and it's great. I am using a wireless m+k, but I will probably upgrade to a wireless controller at some point.

zweifuss

Just tried this last night (and into the wee hours of the morning). Gotta say I'm very impressed. The latency is nearly that of the wiiu gamepad. I played dark souls and after a couple hours I almost forgot I was streaming it! One thing I did notice though is that 2d platformers have a noticeable stutter to them. I tried

Sonic Generations
Fez
Castle of Illusion
Sonic CD
Strider
Volgàar and they all had this.

My setup is the following: gaming pc-100mb wired to router-wireless N to laptop-hdmi to 720p TV. And I'm sure it's streaming 1080p. What would be my bottleneck? Do I need a GB network? I tried wiring to the laptop and surprisingly no difference!

I gotta say though I'm a 100% believer now. I gotta find a way to connect RetroArch to steam!

Hasney

If you have issues with stutter and you don't see any warning messages, try running it windowed. Seems to fix most games.

The game windowed on the host that is, not the streaming window. Will still be full screen for you.

Holy shit this is amazing. Arkham Origins needed vsync turned off but it runs great, same with Dark Souls 2. Didn't notice a difference between fast, beautiful and balanced presets, maybe if my laptop screen were bigger I could see the difference in stream quality.

On the peformance information, the fps, is that how may frames I'm recieving on my laptop? I'm assuming so, it seems to be capped at 60 even when I turn off vsync in the games I play, and its inability to stay locked is because of frame loss due to latency

Oh more importantly, anyone find a work around with x360ce? If I plug the controller in my laptop the game won't launch on PC because it opens a dialog box to continue abort or retry. Thinking of just buying a 360 controller.

Also does this work on a nexus 7 gen 2? + If I use a 360 controller through a dongle will it recognize it through the android os?

jsnepo

Tried this a few minutes ago with a Dell Inspiron Mini 10v and Ubuntu Linux over 11g. The visual quality is amazing but I'm experiencing terrible lag to the point of being unplayable.

Hasney

Tried this a few minutes ago with a Dell Inspiron Mini 10v and Ubuntu Linux over 11g. The visual quality is amazing but I'm experiencing terrible lag to the point of being unplayable.

Yeah, that'll be the wireless. I made the switch to wired when it was in beta because I loved the feature so much and now even games like Metal Gear Rising are more than playable.

Cool feature, but I see no use for it since it's limited to a LAN. I can either play games on my desktop, with 1440p, gaming keyboard & mouse, or Macbook Air, with 720p display and trackpad... Not a hard decision.

jsnepo

Yeah, that'll be the wireless. I made the switch to wired when it was in beta because I loved the feature so much and now even games like Metal Gear Rising are more than playable.

I think so too. Ever since I upgraded the DD-WRT firmware I've been having plenty of wireless issues. I can't even use content manager between my Vita and PS3 over wireless without crashing the router.

Hasney

Cool feature, but I see no use for it since it's limited to a LAN. I can either play games on my desktop, with 1440p, gaming keyboard & mouse, or Macbook Air, with 720p display and trackpad... Not a hard decision.

It's very usable over 11ac. Once they come down in price, it will be attractive to go that way.
I think so too. Ever since I upgraded the DD-WRT firmware I've been having plenty of wireless issues. I can't even use content manager between my Vita and PS3 over wireless without crashing the router.

I've not fiddled with DD-WRT for a while, but I think there's some features to drop the RAM usage which helps stop crashing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom