• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam In-home Streaming Officially Released

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cool feature, but I see no use for it since it's limited to a LAN. I can either play games on my desktop, with 1440p, gaming keyboard & mouse, or Macbook Air, with 720p display and trackpad... Not a hard decision.

Well. It's being envisioned as an easy to get Steam to a tv, and not either build a capable pc in the living room or unplugging and moving the office computer to the living room.

Being able to play games on your Macbook is secondary to the original vision.

bee

i tried this a few weeks ago and was very impressed, was streaming over gigabit lan to a 1.4ghz turion dual core, 8gb , gt 520, it was getting a steady 1080p@30 although it did go upto 45 sometimes (processor problem?) the quality looked great even when on a 92 inch projector screen!

Tregard

Soothsayer
Just as a quick question, if I was looking to have this working smoothly between my Gaming rig upstairs and a smaller PC in the living room, and the router is wireless, would a pair of these work significantly better than the wireless connection on it's own?

Is there anyway to remotely close a game? I tried to stream Transistor but I just got a black screen so I closed it. But when I played other games I could hear the music and when I went to the PC the game was still running.

Garou

Cool feature, but I see no use for it since it's limited to a LAN. I can either play games on my desktop, with 1440p, gaming keyboard & mouse, or Macbook Air, with 720p display and trackpad... Not a hard decision.

Hook the MacBook to your TV, connect a controller and you have the next next gen on your TV.

MikeDip

God bless all my old friends/And god bless me too, why pretend?
Just as a quick question, if I was looking to have this working smoothly between my Gaming rig upstairs and a smaller PC in the living room, and the router is wireless, would a pair of these work significantly better than the wireless connection on it's own?

I use those (not that exact brand, but the same idea) and they are amazing. Give them a try. (Also, pray your house wiring is good)

Tregard

Soothsayer
I use those (not that exact brand, but the same idea) and they are amazing. Give them a try. (Also, pray your house wiring is good)

hand-cross.jpg

It's very usable over 11ac. Once they come down in price, it will be attractive to go that way.

I think the poster was referring to the limitation of having to use it at home versus something like the Nvidia Shield or Vita where you can stream over the Internet.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.

For this reason I'd go for a kit that offers higher theoretical throughput (200Mbps is at the lower end of the scale). Better safe than sorry.

Is there anyway to remotely close a game? I tried to stream Transistor but I just got a black screen so I closed it. But when I played other games I could hear the music and when I went to the PC the game was still running.

Probably will need to use another app that can remote into your machine. I use Splashtop.

MisterM

I let my friend borrow a desktop to use as a Big Picture Mode Machine and last night he used it to stream Path of Exile to his old Core2Duo laptop with Intel GMA. It worked a treat hardwired, he was getting slow network over WiFi though.

I did the same at my house and it was glorious. I did get weird artifcats once though but alt tabbing out and back in on the laptop fixed that.

jsnepo

It's very usable over 11ac. Once they come down in price, it will be attractive to go that way.

I've not fiddled with DD-WRT for a while, but I think there's some features to drop the RAM usage which helps stop crashing.

It's probably the CPU. After every crash I notice that the load average is up to 80%.

Oh, I'm not complaining about speed or anything. LAN = Local Area Network, it doesn't imply wired or wireless connections.

Hook the MacBook to your TV, connect a controller and you have the next next gen on your TV.

Which would be cool if the Xbox controller worked with Macs. Maybe I'll buy a cheap netbook.

Quikies83

Oh, I'm not complaining about speed or anything. LAN = Local Area Network, it doesn't imply wired or wireless connections.

Which would be cool if the Xbox controller worked with Macs. Maybe I'll buy a cheap netbook.

Xbox 360 wired controller does work with Macs. I used it on my macbook air when I was streaming Dark Souls II.

When you stream using Steam it emulates X-Input even if you don't have a 360 controller, so it even works with a PS4/PS3 controller plugged in. To plays games installed on your Mac with the 360 controller I had to install drivers.

Nice. This feature may be more useful than I thought.

dLMN8R

Is anyone seeing some weird glitches while streaming games? For example, in Wolf Among Us I'm seeing a bunch of animation glitches and misplaced objects while streaming.

I'm going to try playing locally but just curious.

The only time I've had any issues with streaming is with ACIV: Black Flag Non-Steam version. Other than that, every game (even Dolphin emulator) has worked.

I just upgraded my router from an 5 year old D-Link to what is supposed to be the best consumer router in the market right now, the Netgear R7000.

Games seem to run more consistently smooth and im not getting the small notice anymore (SLOW NETWORK) but I think I hit the limit of what my little client PC can do as far as decoding goes as I cant seem to get 60fps.

My client PC is a small box with Intel Atom D2700.
ZBOX%20ID92%20PLUS-21-580-90.jpg

What happened to the 60fps setting BTW? I remember it was under Home Streaming options in the setting menu, but now all I see is the bandwidth meter and the (FAST, balanced, Beautiful) options.

I just upgraded my router from an 5 year old D-Link to what is supposed to be the best consumer router in the market right now, the Netgear R7000.

Games seem to run more consistently smooth and im not getting the small notice anymore (SLOW NETWORK) but I think I hit the limit of what my little client PC can do as far as decoding goes as I cant seem to get 60fps.

My client PC is a small box with Intel Atom D2700.

What happened to the 60fps setting BTW? I remember it was under Home Streaming options in the setting menu, but now all I see is the bandwidth meter and the (FAST, balanced, Beautiful) options.

I tried a similar piece of hardware and it was not a good experience. I then tested it on my Macbook Air with a Core2Duo and an HP Split X2 and it was a great experience. My hopes of having an Atom processor be able to handle it is gone

Rich!

Yeah, my shitty netbook with an atom processor refused to load streaming at all. Works fine on my other desktop though.

I tried a similar piece of hardware and it was not a good experience. I then tested it on my Macbook Air with a Core2Duo and an HP Split X2 and it was a great experience. My hopes of having an Atom processor be able to handle it is gone

Yeah, my shitty netbook with an atom processor refused to load streaming at all. Works fine on my other desktop though.

For me it works good enough to be honest, but yeah, testing with my work laptop with an i7 is a completely different experience as I get 60fps no problem with it.

Im still really grateful that I can use this old machine that was once only used for Netflix, now I can play my entire Steam library at an acceptable quality/speed.

pfkas

I'm having good success with a Zotac nano AQ02 as a client. It's wired and I'm getting a solid 720p/60 but I'm having no luck with 1080p, which I'm currently trying to get to the bottom of.

According to the logs, everything seems in order apart from there is a big delay in the decoder actually firing up from what I can gather, which is rather annoying - it is fine when running at 720p.

Still, a good experiment which I am pretty pleased with.

Jedi2016

Does it support 3D? I'd love to be able to play Just Cause 2 in 3D on my big screen.

Still needs a second computer downstairs, though, which I don't have. What specs are required for the receiving unit? Anything? Raspberry Pi?

PriitV

Does it support 3D? I'd love to be able to play Just Cause 2 in 3D on my big screen.

Still needs a second computer downstairs, though, which I don't have. What specs are required for the receiving unit? Anything? Raspberry Pi?
Anything you can install the real steam client on so rPi wouldn't work.

Nabs

If you have a Kepler GPU on your setup, you can give Limelight-pi a try. I Honestly don't know how well it'll work.

Sigh... having zero luck with this... Only thing I can think of is the fact that I have 2 routers in the system.

Looks like this:

Computer I want to stream to -> router/modem -> power line adapter -> second router -> main PC

I have the second router in the DMZ of the first router... so really not sure what's up.

(edit) tried to play on my laptop on the same router as the main PC and it works fine... so there is something likely with the second router.

I had the same, but as soon as I bypassed the second router it works fine.

Sadly not an option for me. The machines are in 2 seperate buildings on the property. WiFi doesn't extend far enough, so I use a powerline adapter to get the internet to the second building, then I use the second router for it's wifi so I have full coverage (though both computers I want to stream to/from are wired). I'm thinking of trying to just play the main PC into the power line adapter directly, but that doesn't solve the problem and running back and forth between buildings to test it isn't high on my list of priorities right now.

If nothing else, I can play from my main PC onto my laptop in bed.

Server: i7 950, 12GB RAM, 560ti

Client: P4 3.4GHz, 1GB RAM, 7900 GS

graphs indicate encoding and transmission (local gigabit network) are fine, but decoding is bunk. I tried toggling CPU/GPU decoding on the client to little difference.

Am I GPU or CPU constricted here? Would adding a GT610 allow me to run 1080p at 30fps (it seems I can SEND that no problem).

Don't have a lot of dough to throw at this endeavor, and I can get the GT610 for $35 new...

Or is the only real option to drop $200+ on something better for my server, and dropping the 560ti in the P4 (if it'll even take it...). I don't think the 560ti can do hardware h.264 encoding...

Server: i7 950, 12GB RAM, 560ti

Client: P4 3.4GHz, 1GB RAM, 7900 GS

graphs indicate encoding and transmission (local gigabit network) are fine, but decoding is bunk. I tried toggling CPU/GPU decoding on the client to little difference.

Am I GPU or CPU constricted here? Would adding a GT610 allow me to run 1080p at 30fps (it seems I can SEND that no problem).

Don't have a lot of dough to throw at this endeavor, and I can get the GT610 for $35 new...

Or is the only real option to drop $200+ on something better for my server, and dropping the 560ti in the P4 (if it'll even take it...). I don't think the 560ti can do hardware h.264 encoding...

I dont think nvidia got gpu-decode of HD video until the 8000 series. 610 should have the newest hardware decoder.

Eklesp

I played Transistor streaming to my Macbook for a few hours last night and it was amazing! I had bad stutters until I switched to a 5GHz wireless network, since then it has been really smooth.

beta client update:

Worked around a crash in the latest NVIDIA driver (337.88)
Implemented brightness controls for games like Dark Souls II and Thief
You can toggle windowed mode on the client with Alt-Enter and resize the streaming window
Desktop shortcuts will stream games if they are currently available for streaming
Added 2’ streaming EULA dialog so you don’t have to go to the remote computer to accept it after installing a game.
Fixed the menu bar showing on the client on Mac OS X 10.6

Nvidia GT 610 and P4 3.4GHz is still not enough juice to do 1080p at a solid 30fps. =( Going to try cobbling together a Core 2 Duo and see if that is enough...

bobbytkc

ADD New Gen Gamer
For some reason witcher 2 ran terribly while streaming. It played smoothly on my PC, and other games seem to work fine.

beta client update

Worked around NVIDIA driver crash when streaming games from laptops with NVIDIA GPUs
Fixed regression causing crazy colors when streaming some games
Fixed the escape key canceling fullscreen mode on Mac OS X
Fixed window size when leaving fullscreen mode on Mac OS X
Streaming uses UDP ports 27031 and 27036 and TCP ports 27036 and 27037

So this won't work if I try and stream from my LAN connected PC to my wireless connected MacBook Pro?

Edit: nevermind, looks like it will, thanks thread participants :p

Fantastical

Death Prophet
Hey fellow streamers! :p I'm trying to get Dolphin streaming running. I have set the game (Xenoblade) up on Steam so that it runs fine when I start it on the host machine by starting it from Steam. However, when I try to run it from the client it says it "Timed out waiting for stream to launch". What's weird though is that if I start Dolphin on the host machine, then launch it from the client machine, it works (but there are black bars on top and bottom). So it seems like Steam is having a hard time starting Dolphin from the client machine.

Any solution for this?

beta client update:

Added support for XInput based arcade sticks and wheels on Windows clients
Added support for NVIDIA hardware encoding for D3D fullscreen games on GeForce 650+ cards and the latest beta NVIDIA driver (340.43)
Enabled fast desktop capture on Optimus laptops with the latest beta NVIDIA driver
Fixed regression causing a hang in Wolfenstein: The New Order

Hasney

Got excited for arcade sticks before I remembered the minimal input lag. Even minimal is enough to throw off an SF4 match.

Really hope I can get a wiimote working in Dolphin through streaming one day though.

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
I got one of the new Apple AC routers so I started testing games on this. There's an improvement but it still needs to be turned down res-wise and still constantly gives "slow encode/decode" warnings. This is the only thing happening on the network too. Are there ways to figure out how I can improve this, or is it a pretty automatic process?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom