• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | January 2017 - Time to get GAMEDUMPED

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wow@those Switch reactions in the conference threads.

Other then online play being paywalled, and maybe the joycon prices, I don't really get what was so fucked up about it. Launched with the anticipated Zelda title, they're getting their expected major IP's out within 6 months of the launch, a couple of gimmicky titles, and console specs being pretty much what was expected. Not sure what the suprise or letdown was.

Tizoc

Sadly I think so too. I had high hopes and wanted Nintendo to knock it out of the park with this one.

Felt like they were still trying to capture that Wii lightning in a bottle again with all the motion stuff.
صباح الخير ;)

I knew i would need a freakin' pro controller atter what i saw of the joy con months ago but am curious ig arms can be played with a reg controller @o@

zkylon

zkylewd
people just like to complain about stuff

it plays nintendo games and those look alright

everything around that seems kind of trashy with the expensive controllers, low battery life, the price being higher cos it has a screen and a billion controllers and shit, online being paid, all of that

but idk, i liked the game they showed and if consoles were $300 in argentina i'd buy one

KenOD

a kinder, gentler sort of Scrooge
I just hope that Switch Pro Controller is bluetooth, so we can get it working a bit easier than Wii U Pro Controller. I want that 80 hour battery life Nintendo gives when playing PC games.

Other then online play being paywalled, and maybe the joycon prices, I don't really get what was so fucked up about it. Launched with the anticipated Zelda title, they're getting their expected major IP's out within 6 months of the launch, a couple of gimmicky titles, and console specs being pretty much what was expected. Not sure what the suprise or letdown was.

Expectations were (unrealistically?) through the roof... $199-250 price, insane launch lineups (including Mario), etc.

yuraya

I just think a lot of people mentally settled on a 250$ price point. 300$ is a lot for such weak hardware in this day n age. Especially when you consider how cheap PS4/X1 can be had. Other than that and online paywall it was a solid conference.

I personally wish they would just release a handheld only model for like 199$. or even 229$. I have no need for any of that other stuff they showed nor do I ever intend on hooking it up to a monitor or tv.

Platy

Leave to steamgaf to complaina bout antialiasing in a semi portable console.

You will have to wait a few years before you guys can emulate this in 4k =P

Tizoc

Leave to steamgaf to complaina bout antialiasing in a semi portable console.

You will have to wait a few years before you guys can emulate this in 4k =P
1080p is all the p i need~

Also here is a list of switch launch titles
launch line up
- 1, 2 Switch
- The Legend of Zelda: BotW
- Just Dance 2017
- Has Been Heroes
- Snipperclips
- Super Bomberman R
- Disgaea 5 Complete
- Puyo Puyo Tetris
- Rayman Legends
- Steep
- Skylanders: Imaginators
- I Am Setsuna

I just think a lot of people mentally settled on a 250$ price point. 300$ is a lot for such weak hardware in this day n age. Especially when you consider how cheap PS4/X1 can be had. Other than that and online paywall it was a solid conference.

I personally wish they would just release a handheld only model for like 199$. or even 229$. I have no need for any of that other stuff they showed nor do I ever intend on hooking it up to a monitor or tv.

So less then the price of a normal retail title is the deal breaker?

See my post above. They're fleecing their fanbase for as much money as possible.

If Nintendo went third party right now I wouldn't even care.

Anywho, I'm done venting here (I'll bitch on gaming side). Can't wait to play RE7 at 144hz.

yuraya

So less then the price of a normal retail title is the deal breaker?

It is for most gamers. The costs add up long term and now you have to pay to play online too? Now its 2 retail titles. Plus pro controller? 3 retail titles. Oh and you still need to buy actual retail games for it and storage etc. Most people going to the store to pick this up will be spending over 500$ for the complete package/experience.

Knurek

So, is Switch Nintendo's Dreamcast?

Sure hope so. I want them to go third-party, so that they also can ignore Steam like Sega does.

Ehh... for Switch, it'd be more shocking if paid online wasn't happening. The other platform holders' success with that stuff has cemented it as a mainstay of consoles.

Dunno why consumers ever went along with it to begin with.
Torment is suddenly one of my most anticipated game of 2017. I didnt realize it was far future scifi.

Playing Planescape for the first time right now. Still in the tutorial area

Huh. I assumed both Torment and Planescape were fantasy stuff.

I should really play Planescape some day. Its age really puts me off for some reason.

Uzzy

Torment is suddenly one of my most anticipated game of 2017. I didnt realize it was far future scifi.

First time playing PS:T? You lucky devil. Hope you put all your points into your mental stats!

Tizoc

I anticipate the Nintendo is doomed 2.0 threads/reactions

Amiibos are neat figures tho
I should get a wario figure to go with my waluigi but which one...regular wario ot wariowAre.

Anyways gonna aim to beat milmaid of the milkyway today and progress in gunvolt 1 before going back to pictopix

Anno

Everything about the Switch that involves dollars seems a bit excessive. You're looking at what, $450 for the console, Zelda, a Pro controller and an SD card? And paid online?

Planescape is fantasy, just a weird fantasy. The upcoming game in the Numenera universe is super far future sci-fi that also seems kinda fantasy in a lot of ways too. It's a super cool universe from all I've been reading up.

dot

I actually liked most of the games they showed but that price and online paywall is a nope from me... :/

will probably get one in a few years

It is for most gamers. The costs add up long term and now you have to pay to play online too? Now its 2 retail titles. Plus pro controller? 3 retail titles. Oh and you still need to buy actual retail games for it and storage etc. Most people going to the store to pick this up will be spending over 500$ for the complete package/experience.

Based on my experiences with gaming communities, and the amount of titles people seem to buy in general, gamers don't seem to have a clue of costs in the long term and their actual spending for this hobby.

Sure, the initial cost might be steep if you get such a complete package from the go, but is that needed? The console + Zelda + some download titles. Go. And the $50 difference on that, so what really.

And even if it's too much money for some people, they pretty much guaranteed that it will fly of the shelves with not only a Zelda title at launch, but with that particular Zelda.

I maybe should say too much about other peoples money, but the reactions on what we heard compared to what we known on this forum for months seem a bit weird to me. Paywall is the one suprise I understand people being dissapointed in.

And it being region free was a nice suprise.

Ehh... for Switch, it'd be more shocking if paid online wasn't happening. The other platform holders' success with that stuff has cemented it as a mainstay of consoles.

Dunno why consumers ever went along with it to begin with.

I should really play Planescape some day. Its age really puts me off for some reason.
Planetscape is fantasy. Tides is a billion years in the future, in a world built on top of eight other civilizations that have risen and fallen.

MUnited83

For you.
This is the whole launch line-up for the Switch:
Zelda: BotW (+Special/Master editions)
1, 2, Switch
I Am Setsuna
Has Been Heroes
Just Dance 2017
Snipperclips - Cut it out, together!
Super Bomberman R

This is even more terrible than I expected. One single big title, and it's a title that can be played on the Wii U as well.

Wok

This is the whole launch line-up for the Switch:
Zelda: BotW (+Special/Master editions)
1, 2, Switch
I Am Setsuna
Has Been Heroes
Just Dance 2017
Snipperclips - Cut it out, together!
Super Bomberman R

This is even more terrible than I expected. One single big title, and it's a title that can be played on the Wii U as well.

by Frozenbyte.

Same. I only realised after seeing the vid from today that explicitly said it was a billion years into the future.

As much as I want it and DOS:2 I'd have to play them now and I'd rather wait until they are complete. Anyway I need to play Tyranny before then and I just finally bought a PS4.

Teggy

Dare I say I think I am going to brave the sub-par graphics and get Zelda on the Wii U. Anything else I care about probably isn't coming out until holidays at the earliest.

morningbus

Serious Sam is a wicked gahbidge series for chowdaheads.
Dare I say I think I am going to brave the sub-par graphics and get Zelda on the Wii U. Anything else I care about probably isn't coming out until holidays at the earliest.

Rip it and play it on your PC.

Okay, I'm still only in the Mortuary and I'm already fascinated by Planescape. I actually restarted the game after about 30 minutes because I didn't realize you could talk with/interact with everyone and had made the place hostile. Any other game would have generic flavor text for undead workers. Not here

If Tides can match that, it'll be something special, especially with the crazy world

PaulSane

Ok, i think that's enough reading gaming side for today - arguments some people come up with defending paid online are just mind-boggling. Also, people getting hyped on trailers with no gameplay, and for once some real port begging going on :)

I think i'll just quarantine myself in this thread for the time being. I've also finally came up with a list for SteamGAF GOTY awards, so here it is:

GOTY:
(5 Points) - Xanadu Next
(4 Points) - Megadimension Neptunia VII
(3 Points) - Dragon's Dogma
(2 Points) - Grim Dawn
(1 Point) - God Eater Resurrection

DLC:
none

EA:
(3 Points) - SPAZ 2

This list was compiled based on the single factor: how willing was i to put away all other games while playing a certain game? All of the above games had prolonged periods where i would play them exclusively, and out of the five i've only finished Xanadu Next and Megadimension Neptunia VII without diverting my attention to something else, hence the top two picks. Between those two, i decided to put Xanadu ahead simply because it actually managed to greatly surpass any expectations i had for it, even those expectations were influenced by the hype this game got from SteamGAF.

There was actually a third game that met those criteria - it was my second longest played game in 2016, only slightly behind Megadimension. It would have taken the second spot on my list. The problem is, it's still in beta (not in early access), therefore not eligible for these awards. And no, it's not M*nster M**piece :) It's hard to tell if this game makes it into my 2017 list, but even if it doesn't, i'll definitely give it a honorable mention, and i'll also post my thoughts and impressions of this game when i'm no longer under NDA :p

MUnited83

For you.
There's a reliable Wii U emulator already?
Yep, CEMU is amazing, it can play many of the biggest Wii U exclusives extremely smoothly, even at 4k. Of course, it probably won't play Breadth of the Wild very well when it launches... But it should be playable in a few months after that.

Tizoc

Yep, CEMU is amazing, it can play many of the biggest Wii U exclusives extremely smoothly, even at 4k. Of course, it probably won't play Breadth of the Wild very well when it launches... But it should be playable in a few months after that.
There are still audio issues tho right?
If not i should grab that used copy of 3d workd and Test it out :p

Parsnip

I'll buy a Switch for Zelda when they offer me a mini version without the screen and a bundled pro controller for... I don't know what my price would be. As it is right now it's too expensive. And I don't need the portability so a revised model with just the bits for the home console experience would be enough for me.
I'm very curious what kind of euro price local stores are going to have. It's going to be rough.

Depending on how the emulation goes with Zelda, maybe I'll just buy the WiiU version and have my brother rip it.

by Frozenbyte.

Oh, so that's their GameStop GameTrust game.

The good thing with Wii U being so dire in term of library means CEMU devs can focus on a per game basis.

InfiniteNine

Rolling Girl
Well, the presentation was underwhelming I'll probably just buy and dump the Wii U version of Breath of the Wild for CEMU and be content with that for now. Going to see how the lineup is after about a year.

In Steam news I liked the Bersaria demo's combat so thinking of picking that up.

Knurek

The good thing with Wii U being so dire in term of library means CEMU devs can focus on a per game basis.

If you thought Wii U was dire, just wait for Switch.
Will we finally have a Nintendo console with less total games than Virtual Boy? All signs point to yes.

Vuze

There are still audio issues tho right?
If not i should grab that used copy of 3d workd and Test it out :p
Depends on the game. Captain Toad works flawless for exampe.
One thing to note is that you'll encounter stutter during shader generation during your first playthrough which might be irritating.
The good news is that the latest version of Cemu introduced forward compatible shaders that can be shared. So basically once people played through a game and share their compiled shaders, it will be smooth sailing.

All in all a fantastic piece of software, I'm hugely impressed by their progress and can't wait for 4K MH3U at some point :D

Also yeah, Switch presentation was worse than anything I expected. Regionfree is good news but what to do with it when there are no games in sight

Well. I have a barely-touched WiiU with pretty much every game worth a damn.

Maybe I should just focus on that for the next year or so, because Switch looks like nonsense.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom