• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | July 2014-3 – Let Off Some STEAM Bennett

Status
Not open for further replies.
Only If is an interesting puzzle game, the hints are hiding subtle in the levels or in the conversations between the characters but I wish it had an option to enable subtitles or at least a volume control for the music and the ambience sounds.

....is this some meta joke or meme I am not getting?

Just a story about a random person that added me and wasn't from SteamGAF.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Only because YOU aren't sleeping ever :p

If I slept, I wouldn't own Infected: The Twin Vaccine. ;) Which reminds me, isn't Enhanced Steam supposed to show on a game's community hub how many of your friends own it, not just those who play it? Or am I misremembering?

image.php

The avatar is a lie.

Casimir

Unconfirmed Member

I mean like now is still pretty early for murica-gafs, no? God I have no idea about time zones and never heard of google before.

edit: lol didn't see these other answes, gonna check them out.

CONUS? East coast is waking up (~0840) and in the west coast it is about 20-30 minutes until 0600.

Double

If I slept, I wouldn't own Infected: The Twin Vaccine. ;) Which reminds me, isn't Enhanced Steam supposed to show on a game's community hub how many of your friends own it, not just those who play it? Or am I misremembering?
Hah, I own this too. So it actually IS possible while still sleeping!!
(I didn't think of owning it being a good thing until now though)

She's dead, Jim!
Isn't this from Se7en?!
=]

CONUS? East coast is waking up (~0840) and in the west coast it is about 20-30 minutes until 0600.
Thanks, though I have no idea what CONUS means =)

Turfster

Day 2 of the gamesplanet summer sale:
  • COD MW 2 50% off
  • Prototype 2 75% off
  • Transformers Fall of Cybertron 75% off
  • Dishonored GOTY 66% off
  • Endless Space Emperor Edition 75% off
  • DARK 80% off
  • Cities in Motion III 75% off
  • Magicka Collection 75% off

Kiss my bundles Lunar bundle
Price: 4.99$
  • QUBE Director's Cut
  • Lunar Panda (Desura)
  • Pressured (Desura)
  • Pester (Desura)
  • Ampu-tea
  • Smash Cat (Desura)
  • Steam Heroes (Desura)
  • Storm in a Teacup

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
The issue with idle master seems to be a process blocking issue. The program is sending the "kill code" then waiting 15 seconds to start the next game. It seems that some peoples computers are taking longer than 15 seconds to kill the process so the program is killing both then getting stuck in a loop where it thinks its idling but isn't.

I'll get this issue fixed proper when I get home.

One hour of sleep last night, sorry for any typos.

Dr Dogg

NeoGAF is primarily a US and UK site. So the hours when they are awake are the most active for the site and the Steam thread. Some regulars in the Steam thread post during off hours at a higher rate than the general site traffic, but they are outliers.

While Alexa's data is about as accurate as Harold Camping, here's a breakdown of where traffic may be coming from.

Check out BelgiumGAF and PeruGAF!

Though the Steam thread is one of the most multicultural (well in terms of nationality of posters that is) I've seen here on the basis of the regulars. We should all do a Benetton advert together.

For those knowledgeable in regards to Arkham City's PC performance. First, my specs:

GTX 770
8 gigs ram

Now, how it runs: I have it set to 1080p, everything max EXCEPT 2xMSAA and PhysX set to normal and all Direct X11 settings on.

The game fluctuates between 30-60 fps, with nothing really in-between. I'm assuming that it's the Direct X11 settings that is causing the major FPS hits? I thought my rig could brute force this not-new UE3 game with DX11 but it seems to oscillate between 30-60 enough to be annoying at this point.

Milamber

While Alexa's data is about as accurate as Harold Camping, here's a breakdown of where traffic may be coming from.

Though the Steam thread is one of the most multicultural (well in terms of nationality of posters that is) I've seen here on the basis of the regulars. We should all do a Benetton advert together.

IndiaGAF is a surprise.

So I was reading GI's Top 10 Shooters Of The Generation and thought about other top of the gen list and it made me thinking.

Here's a bit of rambling, might be interesting (or not). Episode 2 seems like a pretty overlooked game (compared to Valve standards). A lot of HL fans I know consider it to be the best HL2 game. It trimmed a bit of fat and provided better combat while still keeping the HL2 elements, the Strider battle and the ending come up a lot in "great moments" discussions etc, but I don't see it ranking on these lists. I guess one reason is the Orange Box hurt it, as Portal and TF2 overshadowed it. It also came out in the same year as MW and Bioshock, two games which were pretty big and influential. Also there seems to be a trend of only talking about the two main HL games, while leaving the smaller ones out (includes Opposing Force).

But it was also a remnant of a bygone era. It came out 2 years after "the golden age" of shooters has ended. DocSeuss put that era between '97 and '07, to me it was '98 - '04 (Unreal - HL2). '05 - '07 was sorta a transitional period, where it would be decided what's going to define the generation (RE4 - technically last gen at that point, but you get it -, Gears, CoD and Bioshock would set the trend). Again, it came out in the same year as MW and Bioshock, or Crysis and Stalker. Two years before it was big, but by that time it became antiquated. The genre has "moved on".

Same goes for FEAR btw. A cult favorite which came out at the start of the gen (though for consoles in the upcoming years) and still has better gunplay than the games in that list, yet I don't recall it ranking highly in these lists. Again it came out in an awkward period. One year after HL2, the same year CoD2 and RE4 came out. The shift was already starting.

Stalker is also in a similar shoes. Its buggy launch didn't help, but otherwise it did lots of cool things, but it seems Metro has become a more relevant franchise. On a technical level Crysis overshadowed it (Stalker certainly looked cool in that '03 E3 demo, but that was in '03) and in terms of narrative and gameplay again MW and Bioshock set the trend. Oh and it also didn't come out for consoles.

These 3 games to me are all top 10 shooters of last gen regardless of any trend, but looks like for the media at least they came out at the wrong time. Weirdly enough Halo seemed to have survived all this?

--

Also, it still baffles me that Bioshock would be chosen as #1. On PC with m&kb the controls were totally clunky. For me that's a reason to not consider it #1. Contrast that to RE4 where the tank controls "made sense" (played it with m&kb btw). And I'm saying this is someone who grew up on id, Epic, Valve and so on shooters. The encounters were designed and balanced around it. It never got in the way! It was weird at first, but the game made a good job of teaching me the hows pretty fast and organically. In Bio1 I spent the opening levels battling the controls and eventually got used to it.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
For those knowledgeable in regards to Arkham City's PC performance. First, my specs:

GTX 770
8 gigs ram

Now, how it runs: I have it set to 1080p, everything max EXCEPT 2xMSAA and PhysX set to normal and all Direct X11 settings on.

The game fluctuates between 30-60 fps, with nothing really in-between. I'm assuming that it's the Direct X11 settings that is causing the major FPS hits? I thought my rig could brute force this not-new UE3 game with DX11 but it seems to oscillate between 30-60 enough to be annoying at this point.
DX11 has some weird performance issues in that game. Disable all options labeled DX11 and performance should be much smoother.

Dr Dogg

GTX 770
8 gigs ram

The DX11 render is royal knackered for everyone. You do lose a few effects changing it to the DX9 render but the performance is massively better it's worth that alone. The Bureau is the same as well so might be a specific UE3 build problem.

Edit: Yeah or what Stallion said.

[...]Another question for science, when's the time most of SteamGAF is up and running?
As some who spend time here at every hour of the day at one point, I can tell you that there are definitely times with low activity (asian-gaf main time) and high activity (eu&us evening/early night). The slow phases I experienced were 8-15am CET mostly. But it really changes from day to day, was only my experience.
Right so this probably got lost in the shuffle of the last few pages but the latest beta update has some added library sorting, namely being able to filter just your set custom categories.
And before you ask no Gears of War is not on Steam I've added it as a non-steam game and chucked in with the evil GFWL stuff to satisfy my OCD.
I am contemplating jumping on beta client. As a non-english native I have trouble understanding what these sorting/filtering actually does compared to vanilla client. Can someone explain like to a child, please? Also, beta shouldn't cause major trouble with saves/corrupt game cache, etc., right?
Looks so beautiful. Thought this was third-person turn-based somehow. Glad I was wrong. Always enjoy first-person non-gun games. The more diversity, the better as someone who loves fps.

milena87

Well, with no Last of Us delivery, looks like I'm dedicating my birthday off to Dragon Age. Up to Redcliffe (went there first) and not sure if I'm going to regret going two handed warrior over stabby rogue type like I did when it came out.

Dual wielding rogue in DAO is really fun, but you can have fun with a two handed warrior as well.
I recommend taking the two mages with you, if possible, and giving them both the spell "haste". That way you can be buffed almost all the time and the fights will be over pretty quickly.

lashman

Steam-GAF's Official Ambassador to Gaming-GAF
It doesnt look bad, but it looks more like Lara Croft and the Guardian of Light than Sacred ._.

I really don't mind ... haven't played the first two anyway ... but looks like a fun game to play :) plus - I already own it, so I might as well try to enjoy it xD

DX11 has some weird performance issues in that game. Disable all options labeled DX11 and performance should be much smoother.

The DX11 render is royal knackered for everyone. You do lose a few effects changing it to the DX9 render but the performance is massively better it's worth that alone. The Bureau is the same as well so might be a specific UE3 build problem.

Edit: Yeah or what Stallion said.

Bah. That ingame benchmark app is garbage, then, because it had me averaging 57 fps with dx11 on. I guess I'll take it down a notch and live with a consistent framerate instead of perfectly round heads and inconsistent framerate. sigh. Thanks for confirming that it's just the game.

Does Batman Oranges have the same issues with its performance? I already tried its benchmark and set PhysX to normal but haven't actually played it.

And for the bureau: I found in the 15 minutes i tried it out that PhysX set to max is a framerate monster. I found that normal is fine, though.

Dr Dogg

I am contemplating jumping on beta client. As a non-english native I have trouble understanding what these sorting/filtering actually does compared to vanilla client. Can someone explain like to a child, please? Also, beta shouldn't cause major trouble with saves/corrupt game cache, etc., right?

Well you asked for it...

This

Then that

And restart. Congratz now you're in the beta.

That is a idiot proof explanation :p

Autofokus

Bah. That ingame benchmark app is garbage, then, because it had me averaging 57 fps with dx11 on. I guess I'll take it down a notch and live with a consistent framerate instead of perfectly round heads and inconsistent framerate. sigh. Thanks for confirming that it's just the game.

Does Batman Oranges have the same issues with its performance? I already tried its benchmark and set PhysX to normal but haven't actually played it.

And for the bureau: I found in the 15 minutes i tried it out that PhysX set to max is a framerate monster. I found that normal is fine, though.

Origins worked fine for me, but I could never worked out any good DX11 performance on City - DX9 works like a charm though.

Casimir

Unconfirmed Member
Hah, I own this too. So it actually IS possible while still sleeping!!
(I didn't think of owning it being a good thing until now though)

Isn't this from Se7en?!
=]

Thanks, though I have no idea what CONUS means =)

Contiguous United States. The majority of states (48 out of 50) are within four adjacent timezones. The other two states and multiple territories are in separate time zones.

Sarcasm

Man Taiwan doesn't even show up!

Casimir

Unconfirmed Member

I wonder what the margin of error is for Alexa.

Haha, that would be great.

Interesting opinion asheticism, I haven't played many shooters but I agree about the Bioshock gameplay, while I enjoyed the story and the setting the gameplay felt cluncky.

Well you asked for it...
This
Then that
And restart. Congratz now you're in the beta.
That is a idiot proof explanation :p
Bwaha, it's doubly funny when I actually wanted to know what the sorting features in the beta look like and not how to get into beta. Oh my, not only do I understand English hard but I make others understand me not right, too. Haha.

Lain

here's some Sacred 3 gameplay ... doesn't look half-bad :) consider me interested :D

The game looks nice but it isn't what I was expecting, even after reading it wasn't gonna be like the older ones.
Well, at least I'll find out if I'll like it pretty soon.

Yrael

There are more visitors from Australia than Canada? Huh.

GTX 770
8 gigs ram

For all the Rocksteady Batman games I play them in DX9 with PhysX turned off. DX 11 with PhysX on looks real nice. Especially the smoke but frame rate trumps pretty.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom