• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | July 2017 - Magical Pyres can't melt Cold Steel

Status
Not open for further replies.

The_Super_Inframan

"the journey to a thousand games ends with bad rats. ~Lao Tzu" ~Gabe Newell
Playing hidden object games, so you don't have to.

(Also, c'mon guys, one of you needs to grab Nightmares from the Deep 2. It's good. Sure, it's been bundled so often that you might all have it by now? But if not, you should take it. Yes, YOU!)

Always happy to deliver more Hidden Object fun to your doorstep :)

That said I haven't played one myself in quite some time... I should start a new one

Orgen

I know that is one of the most talked games here so I'm sorry for repeating the question: What can I expect from Pillars of Eternity? I haven't played any WRPG for more than one hour (they are one of my pending gaming duties) so I don't know if I'll like it.

I'm asking this because I saw the White Edition for 9,95€ and I think it's a very good price, right? (is the one with all the DLC and expansions?), so I'm debating on buying it and making my full debut on the "genre".

Thanks in advance!

Ascheroth

Anyway, I'm finally past the point I was in the buy-to-play version of Secret World \o/
1 mission left in the Savage Coast, then I'm going to Blue Mountain for the first time, yay.
I've also finished setting up the first stage of one room in my museum. Really like that system.

ye but i don't play the game for the story

if i did i would've quit ages ago -__-

I feel sorry for you for playing a game that is mostly story focused and repetitive gameplay. What accomplishment is there if not to fully grasp the story? I still suggest watching the story though youtube than torturing yourself through repetitiveness, unless you don't have anything better to play.

The anime only covers half of the first story arc of God Eater 1 (with changes). There are 3 arcs in the game. And those are better then the part the anime covers :p

You're joking right? This is one of the few times I admit the anime is better than the game. The main protagonist from the game is bland, boring and uninspiring, doesn't even begin to compare to Lenka Utsugi, a protagonist that's actually interesting. The story from the anime may not cover all the arcs from the game (a shortcoming could be remedy by adding further seasons), but the little the anime did have was better edited, scripted, choreographed and directed than the game. Plus the soundtrack was better too, for example I can listen to this song all day and never get bored with it https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Unw2qH-kMGc.... Also not in the game.

ModBot

Not a mod, just a bot.
This is a scheduled automated repost on behalf of an anonymous benefactor, who is running this raffle.

ModBot said:
I am giving away 7 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below that corresponds to the game you want. (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering). Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.
Want to make your own ModBot giveaway? Click here for a quick tutorial thread. Please give generously.

ModBot Basics:
- This giveaway has a manual blocklist. The giver has identified members who abuse giveaways and restricted them from participating.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you won a game from ModBot in the last day, you are not eligible for this giveaway.
- This giveaway is a raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 3 hours after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

t1cxE6r.gif
Game of Thrones: A TellTale Games Series -- MB-F962B5FAB8EBF2E6 - Taken by Zeknurn. 4 entrants total.
Batman: The TellTale Series -- MB-810630C8F0C5EF15 - Taken by oipic. 42 entrants total.
Hector: Badge of Carnage -- MB-E43FEA6B1182A8F0 - Taken by Smeagol. 2 entrants total.
Poker Night at the Inventory -- MB-2249F9B3D58F7094 - Taken by CGriffiths86. 1 entrants total.
Puzzle Agent -- MB-42834F0FE3D1007C - Taken by GrinningColossus. 1 entrants total.
Puzzle Agent 2 -- MB-5A40C35A9648ABBD - Taken by aqws. 1 entrants total.
Tales from the Borderlands -- MB-C1A216394FB52CC4 - Taken by Camel Master. 10 entrants total.

t1500549069z1.png

Ascheroth

I feel sorry for you for playing a game that is mostly story focused and repetitive gameplay. What accomplishment is there if not to fully grasp the story? I still suggest watching the story though youtube than torturing yourself through repetitiveness, unless you don't have anything better to play.

You're joking right? This is one of the few times I admit the anime is better than the game. The main protagonist from the game is bland, boring and uninspiring, doesn't even begin to compare to Lenka Utsugi, a protagonist that's actually interesting. The story from the anime may not cover all the arcs from the game (a shortcoming could be remedy by adding further seasons), but the little the anime did have was better edited, scripted, choreographed and directed than the game. Plus the soundtrack was better too, for example I can listen to this song all day and never get bored with it https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Unw2qH-kMGc.... Also not in the game.
? I have made no mention of the quality of the anime in that post. All I said is that the 2nd and 3rd story arcs of the game are better than the first story arc of the game, half of which gets covered by the anime.

Rizzi

So Trails of Cold Steel. Is playing the TitS games first a requirement to actually understand what's going on or are they stand alone?

Mivey

So Trails of Cold Steel. Is playing the TitS games first a requirement to actually understand what's going on or are they stand alone?
If you like Cold Steel, you will probably also enjoy Trails in the Sky, and after playing them it's easier to understand even subtle details and small references.
So, I would just recommend playing them in order. Issue is also, that Cold Steel, since it plays in the same world, but later, could possibly spoil Tits.

(though your Darkarta one actually stopped me from buying that during the Summer Sale, haha)

Yeah, that one was a heartbreaker. I'm pretty sure in my verdict I recommended it, and said that for a company's first try it was great, even though it had some issues and fell into some common traps like "shitty voice acting" and "missables."

I know sometimes when I review I nitpick and make games sound worse than they really are. But I always make sure the verdict reflects my true feelings.

Ascheroth

As far as I know they are a fine starting point, but set in the same world as the TitS games (just a different part of it) and some time after their events, so there are connections.

i enjoy the gameplay loop in this game and early on it felt like there was some variety to it but now i'm just plowing through missions and i can't really tell them apart anymore

With all the God Eater talk I just searched for my 'review' after I finished Resurrection, which I posted in the Steam thread at the time:

The more I read about God Eater, the more I think it could scratch that Hyrule Warriors itch... correct me if I'm wrong: it's repetitive, it's filled with action, it has a great gameplay loop, it's not very technical (MonHun is too complex for me), I can grind for hours if I want to (I love grinding), I can ignore the plot if I don't like it. Is that it? Because it looks like something I would love to play.

Corpekata

Banned
Cold Steel is set after Trails in the Sky, and does reveal a lot about a party member from Sky that isn't clear until clear in those games until later, and it often refers to the events of the games in vague details (like the Liberl Incident). So that's one particular subplot that might lose its luster if you go back, at least for part one. Cold Steel 2 starts dealing with more of the overarching plotline of the series and might be worth playing the TitS series first.

That being said, it doesn't really require any knowledge of the series to start with Cold Steel.

NeoRaider

Anyone selling Game of Thrones and The Walking Dead: Michonne from HB? I am only missing these 2 games on Steam. Would pay 2$ for both.

Ascheroth

The more I read about God Eater, the more I think it could scratch that Hyrule Warriors itch... correct me if I'm wrong: it's repetitive, it's filled with action, it has a great gameplay loop, it's not very technical (MonHun is too complex for me), I can grind for hours if I want to (I love grinding), I can ignore the plot if I don't like it. Is that it? Because it looks like something I would love to play.
Sounds like it. It's easier and less 'deep' than Monster Hunter, except its Bullet Editor which is extremely complex, but also entirely optional (I only ever made some basic things with it, never managed to grasp the whole thing, lol).
It is very story focused though, although you can easily skip cutscenes and stuff if you want to.
Grinding isn't really required to progress, but you can grind a lot if you want too, lol. Even more so in God Eater 2.

Will Dragon's Dogma: Dark Arisen be a free update or add extra game for those who own the first game on Steam like for many other games which added remastered versions? If not then it will be a tremendous mistake.

Ascheroth

Will Dragon's Dogma: Dark Arisen be a free update or add extra game for those who own the first game on Steam like for many other games which added remastered versions? If not then it will be a tremendous mistake.
Uh, the Steam version is the Dark Arisen version. Not sure what you mean.

Grief.exe

They're porting the PC version over to XBO/PS4, there is nothing to add to Steam.

He's talking if they add new content to the console versions that wasn't on pc

Has that been announced?

Jawmuncher

They're porting the PC version over to XBO/PS4, there is nothing to add to Steam.

Has that been announced?

Are they doing this?

The Steam version is already the Remastered version. Consoles are just getting the PC version at console settings.
Unless I completely missed some news?
They might. But there's been no word yet. Just as a comparison the console version of RE5, RE6, DmC, and the upcoming Revelations port have content not avaible on PC.

Dead Rising was left alone though so just depends on how capcom is feeling.

Easy_D

never left the stone age
Why the FUCK is the new Doom update 34gB?

Why not make the multiplayer stuff a separate opt-in download instead :/. Not like it isn't its own exe anyway

Grief.exe

They might. But there's been no word yet. Just as a comparison the console version of RE5, RE6, DmC, and the upcoming Revelations port have content not avaible on PC.

Dead Rising was left alone though so just depends on how capcom is feeling.

They would have led with that information as a part of their marketing campaign.

MUnited83

For you.
Dragon's Dogma: Dark Arisen is already on Steam. It's the only version available on it.
There is nothing remastered on the announced PS4/XB1 versions, they are literally the exact same as the PC version with settings adjusted accordingly.

Dragon's Dogma: Dark Arisen is already on Steam. It's the only version available on it.
There is nothing remastered on the announced PS4/XB1 versions, they are literally the exact same as the PC version with settings adjusted accordingly.

The benefit of the console version is that console folks don't have to constantly fiddle with all these drivers and temps and updates.

And they can play from the couch (currently impossible with Steam version.)

The benefit of the console version is that console folks don't have to constantly fiddle with all these drivers and temps and updates.

And they can play from the couch (currently impossible with Steam version.)

You forgot having to learn how to mod games so they're playable.

Tizoc

I think I'll start Sniper Elite 3 next, then go through the games I'd bought during the Summer Sale.
Still need to finish Silver Case too.

jtb

Banned
That writing, ouch; unsells me from the game completely. (The animation delays sound rather dire too, but I'd hope those are patched.) Writing is such a critical, yet often overlooked, aspect of video games--done well it can really elevate something.

e.g. I can't imagine how differently I would view Harebrained Schemes' Shadowrun games if the writing was anything less than it is: exceptional. The mechanics have gotten better with each game but it's never been the real draw for me.

Really need to play through those Shadowrun games. Which ones are the essentials, or should I play them in release order?

Wow, RE0 HD looks much much better than RE1 HD, (especially for background) wish they didn't ruin REmake in this regard. (i heard they lost some of the source codes, shame.) I liked game so far, sure not level of RE1 but still really fun. (i didn't know anything about this one and never played, so these are big plus for more fun.) I think RE0 harder than RE1 so far, you can't escape from zombies easily like RE1, you need to think new strategy every time you beaten, like playing Demon's Souls/Dark Souls, so fun times! :D Alternate controls a bit ponderous, not giving immediate reaction as RE1 HD, don't know why.
Damn you leechman, i scared when he is came before entering wc in the mansion, lol.

I also used reshade for these screens.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom