• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | June 2014 - Enhanced Electronics Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have decided to idle all my cards out, that's gonna take a long while. Do you guys start idling as soon as the games got trading card support?

I have decided to idle all my cards out, that's gonna take a long while. Do you guys start idling as soon as the games got trading card support?
Back when I was into trading cards I actually installed and played the majority of games that got trading card support, a lot of the time it was on games that I hadn't finished but wanted to complete one day so it gave me a nice incentive to play them.

So while I don't idle them, I do prioritize playing the games that get trading card support over other games.

zkylon

zkylewd

Casimir

Unconfirmed Member
Reminds me of this back-and-forth:

I know times are desperate, but come on. ;)

hehe.

I was under the impression that Valve, at least Gabe, refers to HL3 as Ricochet 2 though.

I see Resident Evil Revelations pc is on sale on steam is it any good?

It's part of the action oriented TPS with horror environments that has defined the last few Resident Evils (1996-2002). If you're more interested in that instead of what the original games were about, it is decent. But, you would be better served buying Dead Space 2 if that is the type of game you are after...unless you want to stare at a nice female posterior throughout the game, then Revelations is probably better.

It's better than Resident Evil 4 and 5 so it has that going for it.

BinaryPork2737

Unconfirmed Member

Deques

Animation was done by SHAFT... so... yeah

The animation is noticeably better than their usual anime productions, so I guess Nintendo dipped into the war chest

But it was Nintendo who approved the animation. I guess even Nintendo will do some of these things sometimes

But it was Nintendo who approved the animation. I guess even Nintendo will do some of these things sometimes

They acquired Bayonetta exclusivity and that Devil's Third game. I'm wondering if Nintendo is trying to break out of their "kids only" image or if they're just going crazy.

Pachimari

Giving away this Sega classic.

ModBot said:
Instructions for Madridista:
Press the quote button to the left of this PM, select the quoted text, copy, and paste in the thread. You can remove these lines from the version you paste.

Instructions for participants:
I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line below containing the key.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible
- This giveaway is a LIGHTNING raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 15 minutes after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two:

Jet Set Radio -- MB-4D2371837993B7B3 - Taken by _hekk05. 4 entrants total.

t1402470468z1.png

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
They acquired Bayonetta exclusivity and that Devil's Third game. I'm wondering if Nintendo is trying to break out of their "kids only" image or if they're just going crazy.

Bayonetta 2 exclusivity, to be specific. The original game and indeed the IP in general are still Sega's.

donny2112

I was under the impression that Valve, at least Gabe, refers to HL3 as Ricochet 2 though.

Think it was a case of an Gabe telling an interviewer that he wouldn't answer any questions about HL3, so the interviewer asked an obvious HL3 question with the fictitious title of Ricochet 2. Gabe went with it in an equally roundabout way, and it's gone on from there. Yeah, but there's the background, as I understand it.

Arthea

I think we'll still get FF0, not HD version, no, iOS port, about 5 years from now, or 10 (><)

arthea pls tell me which fire emblem i should play first

imo, just play Fire Emblem: Radiant Dawn, or you can start by playing Path of Radiance. These are the best probably, if you won't have enough by playing those, then you can research options.
Truth to be told, I'm not fond of playing long games with lots of text and detail on handhelds, so my opinion can be somewhat biased.

Back on topic: I think HL3 is being released 2015, announcement maybe in late 2014, would fall in line with HL2 being 10 years old.

As JaseC said, 2016 at the earliest.

Also Valve didn't give a damn about Steam's 10th and HL1's 15th anniversary, why should they start now?

donny2112

Ninja Gaiden 3: Razor's Edge at launch. It's not a new thing from them. Not any blockbusters, but some niche cult-following games seem to be their target. Maybe they figure those are more achievable to secure.

Dr Dogg

Battlefield Hardline is gonna totally replace Counter-Strike GO for me..... said no one ever.

I don't get why they even bothered with the Alpha. I quit after like 5 minutes.

Well it think it's EA's way of saying "We're not going to annualise Battlefield so here's this instead" despite annualising Battlefield (technically). I feel sorry for anyone who buys this at full price considering it's twice as much as Payday 2 and 4 times as much as CS:GO which is the main competition. I doubt Visceral will be able to put out as many updates to keep things alive either.

I love Visceral's games but after (eventually) getting in and knocking out a few matches it's not for me. Even a couple of the peeps I've played Battlefield with for years aren't that bothered either. Oh well theres their Star Wars game to look forward to I suppose. They seem at home in a space setting anyway.

_hekk05

Banned
arthea pls tell me which fire emblem i should play first

imo, just play Fire Emblem: Radiant Dawn, or you can start by playing Path of Radiance. These are the best probably, if you won't have enough by playing those, then you can research options.

zyklon is this your first fire emblem? If you just want to experience a story I would say go for Path of Radiance. Ike is way too overpowered and broken, so you'll have next to no troubles.

Also good are the Fire Emblems on GBA. Sacred Stones allows you to grind a bit so you'll never have to worry about underleveled characters. Sword of Flame is slightly harder but has the best story imo. This is probably nostalgia talking. Also Florina is OP, but only if you can keep her from dying

Go for Radiant Dawn if you like a challenge. You're playing half the game handicapped by a useless lord with no hp

Ninja Gaiden 3: Razor's Edge at launch. It's not a new thing from them. Not any blockbusters, but some niche cult-following games seem to be their target. Maybe they figure those are more achievable to secure.

I don't think they're looking for the dude bro COD/Halo/Gears community with their new acquisitions. They want to get the community that is into those weird, niche, Japanese games. I think that community generally buys more games but is a lot smaller.

Enco

Been playing Bit Trip Runner 2 from an awesome GAF member who gave it away and it's pretty awesome.

Love the audio. When I first collected some coins, I seriously though the sound was coming from my 360 controller and not my headphones. The quality is awesome.

Casimir

Unconfirmed Member
Think it was a case of an Gabe telling an interviewer that he wouldn't answer any questions about HL3, so the interviewer asked an obvious HL3 question with the fictitious title of Ricochet 2. Gabe went with it in an equally roundabout way, and it's gone on from there. Yeah, but there's the background, as I understand it.

Ah, it was nice of Gabe to be open like that.

BinaryPork2737

Unconfirmed Member
For the Fire Emblem stuff, I'd like to add that Awakening is really accessible for new comers. It's one of my personal favorite 3DS games, too.

zkylon

zkylewd
mo, just play Fire Emblem: Radiant Dawn, or you can start by playing Path of Radiance. These are the best probably, if you won't have enough by playing those, then you can research options.
Truth to be told, I'm not fond of playing long games with lots of text and detail on handhelds, so my opinion can be somewhat biased.
whatever i'm playing i'm playing on emulator so, u know, that's not an issue

ugh

is this your first fire emblem? If you just want to experience a story I would say go for Path of Radiance. Ike is way too overpowered and broken, so you'll have next to no troubles.

Also good are the Fire Emblems on GBA. Sacred Stones allows you to grind a bit so you'll never have to worry about underleveled characters. Sword of Flame is slightly harder but has the best story imo. This is probably nostalgia talking. Also Florina is OP, but only if you can keep her from dying

Go for Radiant Dawn if you like a challenge. You're playing half the game handicapped by a useless lord with no hp
tbh i kinda want to play the snes ones cos those are the ones i remember playing but i might switch up for like the gba games

i don't feel like learning how to emulate 3ds tbh

challenge is alright, just not disgaea challenge of like grind for a million years.

and for sure i don't want shitty "tell me a story" mass effect 3 mode :p

Here's the full quote:

Of course, many Half-Life fans don't consider this acknowledgement of Half-Life 3 since he didn't explicitly say Half-Life 3.

That's still such a lame excuse btw. Just look at how some other studios are handling their games. Mirror's Edge 2, the new Hitman, Mass Effect 4 etc. We have conceptual gameplay, concept arts, blog posts, trailer with "it's done when it's done" ending. Why couldn't Valve do something like this? Just throw a bone to your fans for christ sake and stop treating them like air. They pride themselves on community engagement, communication, but they're so bad at that.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
That's still such a lame excuse btw. Just look at how some other studios are handling their games. Mirror's Edge 2, the new Hitman, Mass Effect 4 etc. We have conceptual gameplay, concept arts, blog posts, trailer with "it's done when it's done" ending. Why couldn't Valve do something like this? Just throw a bone to your fans for christ sake and stop treating them like air. They pride themselves on community engagement, communication, but they're so bad at that.

To an extent Valve's complete silence ties into what Gabe said (Valve has all the time in the world, but EA has shareholders to appease so there's little room for change once a game gets going), but, yeah, at this point the game surely has a clear design path and is in full production mode.

Edit: Also, spares:
ModBot said:
I am giving away 9 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line below that corresponds to the key you want (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering).

Rules for this Giveaway:
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two:

Sid Meier's Civilization III: Complete -- MB-9DE5D30E630BC126 - Taken by creamsugar
Anomaly 2 -- MB-A44277BB2D7E8E27 - Taken by PLASTICA-MAN
Company of Heroes 2 DLC x4 -- MB-BD513A9822C79B4C - Taken by Driw3r
Total War: Rome II: Nomadic Tribes Culture Pack -- MB-F4940ABB2F338344
Interplanetary -- MB-0639F9AE9E429E61 - Taken by Boom Boom Pow
MX vs ATV Reflex -- MB-E6A682AA84A757A1 - Taken by Henry Swanson
Captain Morgane and the Golden Turtle -- MB-50AFF2C7B84541D0 - Taken by kurahador
Sentinel -- MB-0760E706F04670C3 - Taken by Deques
They Breathe -- MB-B5D271F3055A5042 - Taken by Widdly Scuds

Claiming the CoH2 DLC should net you four Humble links. If for some reason this doesn't happen, PM me.

_hekk05

Banned

oops

I say avoid Path of Radiance since Ike is too broken, avoid Radiant Dawn since they purposefully nerfed everyone (then brought back Ike).

The GBA games seems to be your best bet. There are also plenty of fan-translated roms for the non-eng games. I say start with sword of flame. Your journey should start with Lyn

Dr Dogg

I'm waiting for Ricochet 2 to show up in the database, everyone get excited and then it releases and it turns out to actually be Ricochet 2. I haven't played the first in about 15 years. Think how poor Ricochet fans feels (all 1 of them).

To an extent Valve's complete silence ties into what Gabe said (Valve has all the time in the world, but EA has shareholders to appease so there's little room for change once a game gets going), but, yeah, at this point the game surely has a clear design path and is in full production mode.

Claiming the CoH2 DLC should net you four Humble links. If for some reason this doesn't happen, PM me.

thanks for interplanetary!

Going crazy, I think.
There are people with enough disposable income that will pay the cost of getting a Wii U solely for the PG games. That's way too much for me though, so I won't be playing them, most likely, unless they're someday found on another platform that I do actually own.

I don't think they're looking for the dude bro COD/Halo/Gears community with their new acquisitions. They want to get the community that is into those weird, niche, Japanese games. I think that community generally buys more games but is a lot smaller.

The amount of the demographic that is into the type of games listed is most prevalent on other platforms (PC/PS3/x360) and Nintendo and their third parties are slowly learning this the hard way. Razor's Edge and a bunch of the other ports/director's cut type games didn't sell gangbusters. Enough that some publishers have stopped really trying. Tecmo Koei brought RE to PS3/x360 to try to recoup money from the cost to port it. I don't think TTT2 did particularly well. And while Bayonetta might be solid, I'm really not convinced there's a core part of their user base that is going to attach to the game.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
old as shit now but Mechanic Escape was unlocked on Be Mine 13

also Defy Gravity got cards

Deques

Thanks for Sentinel

Casimir

Unconfirmed Member
Here's the full quote:

Of course, many Half-Life fans don't consider this acknowledgement of Half-Life 3 since he didn't explicitly say Half-Life 3.

Thanks JaseC!

Half Life fans are a weird bunch.

---------------------

All of the development studios for those games have deadlines imposed by their publishers/owners. If they didn't finish a project in a reasonable amount of time, they might find themselves in need of other employment.

Thanks to Steam, Valve has a secondary source of income that means they have much more freedom to develop an idea, let alone a marketable product. Unfortunately, if progress isn't where it needs to be, it can result in titles or meaningful progress not appearing for years on end.

Pachimari

I'm wondering, I'm never seeing anyone heading up a game session where we play together. Aren't we playing games together online?

There's lots of free-to-play titles and theHunter just came out. Or popular games which most have like Counter-Strike: Global Offensive. I know there's Minecraft GAF which I'm part of, but I never see us settings up some online sessions here. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom